Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Rosliston

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


ROSLISTON parish and pleasant village, 5 miles S. by W. from Burton-on-Trent, comprises 1,186A. of fertile marl or clay land, 80 houses, and 227 inhabitants, of whom 171 were males, and 156 females.  Population, in 1801, 257 ; in 1831, 360.  Rateable value, £1,920.  The joint lords of the manor and principal owners, are Mrs. E. Cox, Miss Evans, John Hamp, John Oldham, and John Wain, Esqs., with a few other small owners.  The church, dedicated to St Mary, is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Walton-upon-Trent.  Rev. Thos. Perrott, incumbent.  It was rebuilt by subscription, aided by a grant of £50 from the incorporated society, and 200 sittings are unappropriated.  Here are 58A. of glebe land, and the tithe was commuted in 1840 for £100.  307A. are tithe-free, and 517A. are covered by a modus.  An Infant school has been established.  The Feast is on the first Sunday after September 12.

Coton Park, 2 miles S.W. from the village, is surrounded with a thriiving plantation, and is the property of Robert Aglionby Slaney, Esq.

Coton Park Farm consists of 300A. of land, with a neat house, the property and residence of William Daniel, Esq.

Cox Mrs Elizabeth
Dodsworth Eliza, infant school
Farley Sergeant-Major, Repton and Gresley Yeomanry Cavalry
Harding Josh. land agent & surveyor, Field hs
Higgs Rev. John, curate
Shaw John, land surveyor
Stretton John, gentleman
Walker Mrs Elizabeth

INNS AND TAVERNS
Bullís Head, John Bach, and maltster
Plough Inn, John Baldwin

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Durant Francis
Durant Wm

FARMERS
Baldwin John
Campion Jno. & baker
Daniel Wm. Coton pk
Falkner Jn. Calfscroft
Goodall W. & maltstr
Griffith Robert
Leedham George
Leedham Wm
Moss Thomas
Warren Wm
Whittingham Thos
Withnall Michael

JOINERS
Durant Abraham
Durant Charles
Durant Ths. & psh. clk

SHOPKEEPERS
Croxall Samuel
Leedham John

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne