Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Smisby

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


SMISBY or SMITHSBY, parish and picturesque village, 2½ miles N.N.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, contains 973 acres of fertile sandy land, 72 houses, and 203 inhabitants - of whom 139 were males, and 154 females.  Population in 1801, 238, in 1831, 324.  Rateable value, £1,399.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart. is the principal owner, impropriator, and lord of the manor - which is subject to a chief rent of 27s. to her Majesty.  Several others are freeholders.  The church, St James’s, is a perpetual curacy, certified at £38, has been augmented with £400 Queen Annes’ bounty, and was appropriated to Darley Abbey.  The Marquis of Hastings is patron, and Rev. Marmaduke Vavasour, incumbent.  The church is neat structure, situated on an eminence, and was repaired in 1838, at a cost of £450.  It is endowed with 20 acres of land, producing £42 per annum, for its reparation, but here is  no parsonage, and the minister resides at Ashby.  About a quarter of a mile S. of the village a tournament is said to have taken place, which is recorded in Sir Walter Scott’s “Ivanhoe”.  A Methodist chapel was erected in 1845, and a national and infant school in the same year.  Smisby Hall, west of the church is an ancient mansion, the property of Sir J.H. Crewe, Bart., and the seat of Joseph Lester Hassall, Esq.  Pistern Hills, 1 mile N. from the village, is a handsome mansion, the seat and property of William Willder, Esq.  This manor, at the Domesday survey, was the property of Nigel de Stafford.  It afterwards belonged to the family of Comin, whose heiress married Shepey.  In 1330, John Shepey, in answer to a quo warranto, stated that his ancestors had from time immemorial had a park within their manor there.  The heiress of Shepey married Kendall, of whose family it was purchased by an ancestor of the present proprietor.  In the parliamentary returns of 1786, it is stated, that some person unknown had given to 7 poor widows land then vested in John Tims, and producing 7s. a year.  A house and garden and an acre of land near Smisby church, is now, (1826) held by John Tims, who in respect thereof distributes 7s. a year to poor widows of Smisby.

Astle Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Bickley John, brickmaker, maltster, & vict. Malt Shovel
Bailey Joseph, miller and baker
Barnett Mary, shopkeeper
Cockram Walter Joseph, vict. Three Tuns
Cooper Moses, tailor
Goodwin Wm. blacksmith
Hassall John E. Esq., Hall
Hassall Joseph Lester, Esq, Hall
Hunt Mrs Susanna
Nutt George, veterinary surgeon
Orgill Thomas, gent. Field
Peat Henry, butcher
Wilton Joseph, vict. Nelson Inn
Wilton Thomas and William, cattle dealers

FARMERS
Bosworth Thomas
Dawes John Sharpe
Orton Thomas
Page Bn. Pistern hills
Payne Gregory
Sheavyne Mrs My. Ann
Spencer Mrs. Ann
Willder Wm. Esq. Pistern hills
Withnall Wm. Esq.

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne