Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Stanton-by-Bridge

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


STANTON-BY-BRIDGE parish and small pleasant village, overlooking the Trent vale and surrounding country, 6 miles S.S.E. from Derby, contains 1,278A. of rich strong land, 37 houses, and 205 inhabitants, of whom 96 were males, and 109 females.  Population, in 1801, 167 ; in 1831, 215.  Rateable value, £1,821.  Sir Robert Burdett, and Sir John Harpur Crewe, Barts., are joint lords of the manor, and owners.  Church, St Michaelís, is a rectory, valued in the Kingís book £6 12s. 8d., now £345.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart, patron, and the Rev. Thomas Wright Whittaker, M.A., incumbent.  The church is a small ancient structure with nave, chancel, north aisle, and a turret with 2 bells.  It was rebuilt by Augustine Jackson, rector, in 1683.  Here is an ancient monument, with male and female figures of William Sacheverel, Esq., and Mary, his wife ; also one to Katharine, wife of William Francis, Esq., who died in 1530.  The rectory is a neat mansion, with 180A. 1R. 13P. of glebe and common allotment.  Near the church are the remains of a chimney, said to have belonged to a large mansion, of which this is only the part left.  The late Sir Geo. Crewe, Bart., gave land near the church for a school, and, with the rector, defrayed the expense of its erection.  The children pay 2d. per week to the trustees, and the teacher (a female) has £25 per annum.  A moiety of the manor, which had belonged to Burton Abbey, was in the Francis family in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, now of their descendants the Burdetts.  The other moiety probably descended from the Finderns.  In the parish very good building stone is got, of which the greater part of the stone work on the Derby canal was constructed.  Feast, the day after Michaelmas day.

CHARITIES. - Richard Shepperd, by will, in 1727, left all his lands and tenements subject to the payment of 20s. a year to the poor of Stanton, 12s. thereof having been left by the will of his late father.  The annual sum of 20s. is now paid in respect of some land in Chellaston, and laid out in sixpenny loaves, which are distributed at the church on Christmas-day.

Rev. John Clarke, in 1716, granted all the great and small tithes in Shuttington, in the county of Warwick, to trustees, after the death of his wife, to employ the profits for the maintenance of a minister at the church of Shuttington, provided he was appointed by the consent of his trustees for the time being ; but if placed there without their consent, the profits during such time should be disposed of for the putting to apprentice poor children whose parents should not be reputed worth £10 a piece, resident in Stanton-by-Bridge and Shuttington.  In lieu of the tithes and glebe conveyed to the trustees, two farms were allotted about the year 1806, under the Edingale inclosure act, which together contain 144A. 3R. 25P. of land, let for £232 3s.  From the year 1745 to 1792, two successive iminsters were appointed without such consent, and in consequence only small payments were made to them, and of the residue premiums were paid for apprenticing poor children, but which did not exhaust the income ; and the trustees are possessed (1827) of £1,525 3 per cent consols, and £314 16s. 3 per cent reduced annuities, producing together £54 5s. 10d., which is applied in placing out apprentices.  The trustees meet annually at Whichnor Bridge, on the third Wednesday in June, when all children who apply are placed out with premiums varying from £9 to £15 15s.

Fielden Wm. blacksmith
Granger Francis, shoemaker
Holt Wm. market gardener
Roulston Joseph, baker & shopkeeper
Sharpe Sarah Ann, school
Snow John, tailor & parish clerk
Statham Wm. vict. Dog & Duck
Whittaker Rev. Thos. Wright, M.A., rector and rural dean

FARMER
Draper Thomas
Orton Henry Charles
Ratcliff John, St. Brides
Ratcliff Wm
Roberts Wm
Sims John

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne