Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Stapenhill

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire

Direct Links to Directory Listings  Caldwell  Newhall  Stanton  Stapenhill 
STAPENHILL parish contains the township of Stapenhill, the chapelry of Caldwell, and the township and chapelry of Stanton and New Hall, which, together, comprise 4,620 acres of land, and 2,261 inhabitants.  Rateable value £10,449.  Population in 1801, 1,425 ; in 1831, 1,962.

STAPENHILL, township and pleasant village on the east bank of the Trent, 1 mile E. b. S. from Burton-upon-Trent, contains 1,647 acres of fertile land, 132 houses, and 577 inhabitants, of whom 267 were males and 310 females.  The Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor and principal owner, and Henry Clay, Esq., is a considerable owner.  The church, St Peter, is a vicarage, valued in the King’s Books at £5 6s. 0½d., now £395.  The Marquis of Anglesey is patron and impropriator, and the Rev. John Clay, M.A., incumbent.  The church, on an elevated situation, is a small neat structure, built on the site of a delapidated edifice in 1840, at the sole expense of the vicar.  The old chancel still remains.  The vicarage house was rebuilt at the same time, by the respected vicar, who resides in a handsome mansion near the church.  The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £147 to the impropriator, smalll to the vicar, who has 80A. of glebe situate at Stanton.  The parish of Burton, which extends to the east side of the Trent, is much intermixed with this parish and village, about one-fourth part of the township being in Burton parish, with part of the village.  The church was appropriated to the monastery of Burton, to which it had been given by the Abbot Briteric along with the manor.  Henry VIII. gave these to the collegiate church he had founded on the site of the dissolved monastery, which being soon afterwards dissolved, the manors of Stapenhill and Caldwell were granted in 1545 to Sir William Paget.  The Rev. John Hieron, an eminent nonconformist divine and critic, who made collections towards a history of Derbyshire, was born at Stapenhill in 1608.  The Methodists have a small chapel.  A convenient national school has been erected near the church ; about 40 boys and 30 girls attend.  Here is an infant school.  Brizlingcote Hall, now a farm house, 1 mile E. from the church, is an ancient mansion in a commanding situation, with fine avenues of trees.  It contains 295 acres of land, the property of the Earl of Chesterfield.

CALDWELL, township, chapelry, and small village, 5 miles S.b. E. from Burton-upon-Trent, contains 1,040 acres of land, 30 houses, and 153 inhabitants.  Rateable value, £1,783.  Miss Evans is lady of the manor and considerable owner.  Lady Sophia des Voeux, Mr Thomas Pratt, with the Etwall and Repton corporation, are owners - the latter having 160 acres.  The Chapel of Ease is a small structure, with a tower and two bells, and was completely renovated in 1843, with funds partly given by the vicar, and partly by subscription.  The tithes have been commuted for £140, paid to the vicar.  The Baptists have a small chapel.  The manor of Caldwell was sold by William Lord Paget, in 1565, to Peter Collingwood, Esq., from whose family it passed by successive marriages to those of Sanders and Mortimer.  Hans Winthorpe Mortimer, son of Dr Cromwell Mortimer, secretary to the Royal Society, sold it to Henry Evans, Esq., of Burton-upon-Trent.  The Hall is a neat mansion, the seat of Miss Rebecca Evans.

STANTON and NEWHALL form a joint township and chapelry, which, together, contain 1,613 acres of land, 342 houses, and 1,533 inhabitants, of whom 780 were males and 753 females.  Population in 1801, 798 ; in 1831, 1,182 ; rateable value £2,464.  Stanton, a small scattered hamlet forming the western side of the township, in which the Earl of Chesterfield and William Blake, Esq., are the principal owners.  Newhall, hamlet and large village, 3 miles S. b. E. from Burton-upon-Trent.  Earl of Chesterfield, William Blake, Esq., and Joseph and Nathaniel Nadins, Esqs. are joint lords of the manor, and owners, besides whom here are many small owners.  The church, a handsome Gothic structure with a tower and four pinnacles, built of brick, was opened for divine service, 9th July 1832, for a surrounding district.  It was erected at the sole expense of the Rev. John Clay, the vicar of Stapenhill, at a cost of £7,000, including a neat parsonage house and commodious schoolrooms.  The church will seat 500 persons, and is endowed with £2,000, and is in the patronage of the founder.  The Rev. Roger Burton, B.A., is the curate.  The school is supported by subscription.  The Methodists have a commodious chapel, erected in 1816 and enlarged in 1844.  Here is a bed of coal of superior quality, extending over 2,000 acres, and 24 feet thick, which generally fetches the highest price in the market.  Messrs Joseph and Nathaniel Nadins work the collieries.  A superior clay is found in the coal mines, from which a neat straw or cane-coloured earthenware is manufactured, of which great quantities are exported to America and other parts.  The manors of Newhall, Stanton Ward, and Heathcote Ward, belonged, in the reign of Edward I., to the family of Ward, from whom they passed to the Meynells, Dethicks, Dareys, Phillips, and others, by marriage.  The Earl of Chesterfield purchased two shares, and the remainder having passed into the Stanhope family, Earl Stanhope and his son sold their portion in parcels.  There was formerly a chapel at Newhall, which was given by William the Conqueror to Burton Abbey.

CHARITIES. - Daniel Robinson, by will, gave to the poor of this parish land in 1786, vested in Mrs Henshaw, producing £1 per annum.  Myrs Ayre, lately deceased, daughter of Mrs Henshaw, paid the £1 to the parish officers, by whom it was distributed at Easter.

--- Cox, by will, gave to the poor, land in 1786, vested in Thomas Sellick Brome, producing £1 10s per annum.  Robert Wilmot Horton, Esq. is now (1826) the owner of lands sold with this charge ; and the yearly sum of 30s. is paid half-yearly by his tenant to the parish officers, and distributed at Easter.
Frances Jackson, by will, gave to the poor, land and a house in 1786, vested to Joseph Watson and J. Wakelin, and producing the annual sum of £1 5s.  The annual sum of £1 1s. 8d. is now, (1826) paid by George Walters ; and Joseph Warren pays 3s. 4d. to the overseers, which is, with others, distributed at Easter.

Elizabeth Rhodes, as stated on a tablet in the church, gave £15 to the poor, the interest to be distributed yearly.  This sum is deposited in the bank of Messrs Mammott & Co. of Ashby, and 12s. is paid annually as the interest, and distributed at Easter and Christmas, with several others.
Joyce Cox, sister of the said Elizabeth Rhodes, it is stated on a tablet in the church, also gave £15 to the poor.  We could obtain no further information as to this charity.

STAPENHILL
Allsopp Mrs. Stapenhill house
Bach John, maltster, h. Rosleston
Bass Mrs Ann, Heath
Brooke Wm. vict. Barley Mow
Clay Rev. John, M.A. vicar
Court Mrs Ann
Dunn Mrs E. Vicarage
Goodwin Miss Frances
Grainger Ann, vict. Punchbowl
Hetherington Wm. vict. Stanhope Arms
Lecky Rev. James, curate
Lloyd Misses
Mason John, brewer, Spring cottage
Nadin Joseph, Esq. colliery owner
Nadin Nathaniel, Esq. colliery owner
Salt Mrs Susan
Wood Charles, grocer
Worthington Miss Rebecca, Heath

ACADEMIES
Lakin Mary (infant)
Mear Robert
Tomlinson Alice
Turner Sarah

BAKERS
Walters George
Warren Edward
Warren Joseph

BLACKSMITHS
Marked * Whitesmiths
Walters Wm
*White Charles
White Joseph

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Bennett John
White Thomas
Wilson Thomas

BRICK MAKERS
Brunt Wm
Haynes Thomas
Scattergood & Lakin
Simnet Sarah
Warren Ed. h. Burton

BUTCHERS
Brooke Wm
Warren Charles

FARMERS
Bodill Wm
Higgott John, Brizlincote
Hobday Thomas
Salt Wm. Dawson
Warren John
Warren Wm
Watson Ann
Wilson Robert, Scalpcliff hill
Wood Francis

TAILORS
Brown Wm
Mansfield Joseph
Toon William

WHEELWRIGHTS
Goring John
Sanders Thomas

CALDWELL
Bailey James, shoemaker
Broadhurst Wm. butcher
Evans Miss Rebecca, Hall
Fletcher James, blacksmith
Norton Wm. shopkeeper and baker
Peach Wm. shopkeeper and beerhouse

FARMERS
Campion Samuel
Mason James
Pratt Thomas
Shaw Benj. Thompson, Langlands
Thorpe Thomas
Tomlinson Samuel

STANTON
Cartwright Miss Mary
Cartwright Moses, farmer and colliery owner
Dolman John, farmer
Piddocke Morris, gent. Stanton cottage
Price Jesse, shopkeeper
Redfern Joseph, vict. Gate
Staley John, vict. White Horse
Stretton John, wheelwright
Thornley George, shoemaker and shopkeeper
Whittingham Wm. farmer
NEWHALL
POST-OFFICE at William Wright’s.  Letters arrive at 9 morning, and despatched at 4 afternoon.

Burton Rev. Roger, B.A. Parsonage house
Coxen Edwin, draper
Dumold Henry, plumber, glazier, & painter
Godfrey George, bricklayer
Staley James, Caneware pottery, Midway
Wright Wm. registrar for Gresley district

INNS AND TAVERNS
Chesterfield Arms, John Smedley
George Inn, Wm. Brunt, and brickmaker
Jolly Colliers, Francis Dent
Red Lion, Thomas Thornewill
Wheel, Jas. Cole, and wheelwright, Midway

BEERHOUSES
Gadsby Wm
Wright Wm

ACADEMIES
Dent Elizabeth
Rutland James
Smedley Sarah
Smith Frances

BLACKSMITHS
Bridge Benjamin, and boiler maker
Cole Mode, Midway
Gough Thomas
Rogers Wm

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Dent James
Etherington Martha
Nail John
Saville Stephen
Staley George

BUTCHERS
Brealey Elias
Duckers John
Smedley John
Smedley Thomas

FARMERS
Burton L. Springwood
Duckers Charles, and shopkeeper
Higgott Samuel
Insley Thomas
Lathbury Edward
Pickering Edward
Smedley William

JOINERS
Foster James
Mason Wm

SHOPKEEPERS
Ducker John
Kynnersley Wm. Hy. baker & druggist
Staley Thos. & baker
Thornewill Thomas

TAILORS
Birch Joseph
Birch Wm
Simpson Andrew
Wain Joseph
Wallis Francis


Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne