Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Stretton-en-le-Field

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


STRETTON-EN-LE-FIELD parish, locally situated in the Hundred of Goscote, Leicestershire, contains, besides its own township, a part of the hamlet of Oakthorpe, which forms a joint township with Donisthorpe, described with Church Gresley parish.

STRETTON-EN-LE-FIELD township and neat pleasant village, 5 miles S.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, contains 1,006A. of land, 18 houses, and 116 inhabitants, of whom 50 were males, and 66 females.  Rateable value, £1,915.  Sir John Robert Cave Brown, Bart., is owner, lord of the manor, and patron of the church, St Michaelís, a rectory valued in the Kingís book £9 10s. 5d., now £250.  The Rev. William Astley Cave Browne Cave is rector.  The church, an ancient structure, has lately been repaired, in which are some ancient tombs of ecclesiastics, and memorials of the Browne family.  The rectory, a handsome mansion, east of the church, was rebuilt in 1845 ; it has 50 acres of glebe, and the tithe, amounting to £217, is paid by commutation.  The Hall, a handsome mansion now (1845) undergoing considerable repairs, is a little west of the church, in a very romantic and picturesque situation.  This manor was for several centuries held by a family of its own name, under the Earls of Derby.  Charles Browne, Esq., possessed it as early as the year 1600, and rebuilt the manor house.  William Browne, Esq., the last heir male of this family, died in 1744 ; his coheiress married - Cave, and Chambers John Cave, Esq., who (possessing this estate by inheritance from his maternal grandfather,) took the name of Browne.  On the death of the Rev. Sir Charles Cave, Bart., in 1806, William Cave Browne, Esq., succeeded to the title.

OAKTHORPE hamlet contains 57 houses and 244 inhabitants in this parish. - (See Church Gresley parish.)

CHARITIES. - Thomas Allin gave to the poor of Stretton the sum of 30s. yearly out of his lands, to be divided by his next relations.  John Bakewell, and Elizabeth his wife, were entitled to the said lands for their lives, therefore they entered into a bond, in 1750, whereby John Bakewell became bound to Thomas Richards and James Goode in the penal sum of £50 ; and it was declared that if the said John Bakewell and Elizabeth, and all future owners of a close called the Heath, in Stretton, should yearly, on the feast of St Thomas, pay sum of 30s. to such of the poor in Stretton as should be appointed, the obligation should be void.  Mr Thomas Good, (1826,) the occupier of the Heath Close, distributes 30s. annually.

Lost Charities. - The returns made to parliament, 1786, state --- Hancock gave £5, vested in John Smith, and that a person unknown gave a rent charge of 8s. per annum, vested in John Cave Browne, and that another unknown person gave a donation to the poor, which was vested with the Rev. Thomas Moore, and produced 10s. per annum ; - all which were stated to have been directed to be distributed in bread ; but we have not been able to procure any further information respecting them.

Cave, Sir John Robert Cave Browne, Bart., Stretton Hall
Cave Rev. Wm. Astley Cave Browne, Rectory
Wright Joseph, corn miller

FARMERS
Campion Jph - Hear Wm - Mousley Thos

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne