Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Swarkeston

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire


SWARKESTON, parish and small ancient village, in which is a good inn, on the north bank of the Trent, and on the Derby and Leicester road, 5¾ miles S. by E. from Derby, contains 860 acres of land, 62 houses, and 321 inhabitants - of whom 154 were males and 167 females.  Population in 1801, 256, in 1831, 308.  Rateable value, £924.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., is owner and patron of the church, St James’s, a rectory, valued in the King’s books £5, now £180.  The Rev. Thomas Whittaker, M.A., incumbent, has 101 acres of glebe and common allotment, Rev. John Moss Webb, M.A., is the officiating curate.  The church, a small Norman edifice, with nave, chancel, a pinnacled tower and 3 bells.  In 1828 it received an addition of 100 sittings, of which 70 are free.  The Incorporated Society for the Enlargement of Churches having granted £35 towards the expense.  Here are some handsome monuments to the Harpur family.  The Hall is a large stone building, with pointed gables, near the Trent, now a farm house ; near which, on the north side of a walled enclosure, supposed to have been a bowling green, are the ruins of the banqueting house, and those of the old castle, which appear of great extent and are covered with ivy.  About the beginning of the year 1643, Col. Hastings fortified Sir John Harpur’s house, and threw up some works at the bridge.  Sir John Gell marched thither with Sir George Gresley’s troops, when the garrison at the bridge offered a determined resistance on the part of the royalists, but the men were at length drawn from their works with considerable loss.  The Trent bridge was built in 1796-7.  It is a neat stone erection of 5 arches, and cost £3,900, and is so constructed as to secure a passage over the low grounds, which are often flooded in winter, where in the parish of Stanton the roadway is raised from 3 feet to 15 feet for an extent of three-quarters of a mile, which is supported by 21 large and 14 small arches principally of stone.  The old bridge was washed down by a flood in 1795.  There being a timber yard above on the south side, the timber floating against the arches, obstructed the passage, and the bridge was carried down.  It had 6 arches.  Part of the piers still remain.  The Trent and Mersey canal passes through the parish, and is here joined by the Derby canal, on which there are two wharfs.  At Domesday survey, the manor Sorchestun belonged to Henry de Ferrars, and Suerchestune was in the crown.  The manor of Swarkeston was granted Robert de Holand, in 1307.  Joan, late the wife of John de Beke, died sized of it in 1322, leaving it to her son, John Roleston, Esq., who died seized of it in 1482.  Richard Harpur, Esq., one of the justices of the common pleas, who died in 1756, had purchased this estate ; from whom it has descended to the present possessor.  Here are two lodges of Odd Fellows.  Feast, nearest Sunday to St James.

CHARITIES. - John Jennings, in 1657, devised all his lands in Hilton to trustees, to pay 20s. yearly to the poor of Etwall and 20s. yearly to the poor of Swakeston for ever, and the rest he gave to his wife.  20s. is paid out of premises at Hilton to the poor of Etwall, by William Martin, but no payment has been made for several years to this parish.  John massey paid it till about the year 1810, when certain premises belonging to him at Wilton were sold to different persons, by the returns of 1786, it appears as though some arrangement had taken place, by which John massey, who purchased part of the estate, was to pay the 20s. to Swarkeston ; but we apprehend such agreement would not exonerate any part of premises charged, if there were sufficient proof of the lands in Martin’s possession having been part of Jennings’ property.

Adams Chas. vict. Crewe & Harpur Arms
Ashmore Francis, tile and coal dealer, and plaster agent, Cutts Bridge
Bates John, shoemaker
Bently John, blacksmith
Bently Robert, wheelwright
Harrison My. & Eliz. grocers & genrl. dealers
Heath Mrs Fras. school at Twyford
Heath John, bricklayer and stone mason
Hoffner George, School
Holden Isaac, beerhouse
King Charles, tailor and plaster agent
Ordish John, baker and shopkeeper
Peat Wm. parish clerk
Potts Samuel, shoemaker
Rhodes Charles, collector, Canal stop
Rowbottom Wm. Derby canal agent
Snow Joseph, joiner
Toone Edw. lockkeeper, Trent & Mersey canal
Webb Rev. John Moss, B.A. curate

FARMERS
Bates Thos.
Child Rd. Beaumont
Henshaw John
Higgen Samuel
Massey Sampson, Old Hall
Sims Ths. Chrch Frm

CARRIER
Bates Wm. to Derby Tuesday & Friday

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne