Bagshaw's 1846 TD - Ticknall

Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory of Derbyshire

Direct Links to Directory Entries  Bakers  Beerhouses  Blacksmiths  Bookkeepers  Boot & Shoe Makers  Builders  Butchers  Carriers  Farmers  Gardeners  Grocers  Inns & Taverns  Lime Burners  Linen & Woollen Drapers  Maltsters  Post Office  Shopkeepers  Tailors  Wheelwrights  
TICKNALL, parish and well-built village, extends nearly 2 miles on the Derby and Ashby-de-la-Zouch road, 9 miles south from the former, and 5 miles north from the latter, contains 1,867 acres of fertile land, a clay soil on the south side, on the north and north west a light loam, with limestone of a superior quality on the east side, 270 houses, 1,271 inhabitants - of whom 154 were males, and 167 females.  Population in 1801, 1,125, in 1831, 1,278.  Rateable value, £3,220.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal owner.  Sir Robert Burdett, Bart., Mrs. Hill, and the trustees of Hartshorn school, are also owners.  The church, St Thomas-a-Becket’s, is a perpetual curacy, valued at £97, has been augmented with £200 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £1,200 parliamentary grant.  Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart., is patron and impropriator, and the Rev. Richard Cox, M.A., incumbent.  The church, a handsome Gothic structure, was rebuilt in 1842, at a cost of £4,000, partly raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society, but principally by the late Sir George Crewe, Bart.  It consists of a nave, chancel side aisles, tower, and handsome spire, has 667 sittings, of which 374 are free and unappropriated.  It has agallery at the west end, and the beautiful east window of stained glass cost £100.  The parsonage is a handsome house, S.W. of the church, and here is 53A. 2R. 7P. of glebe ; the small tithes were commuted in 1844, for £47.  About 80 acres of meadow land is detached from the parish, near Barrow-on-Trent.  The manor was given by Wulfric Spott, in the reign of King Ethelred, to the abbott and convent of Burton, under whom it was held by William Francis Esq., in 1528.  Edward Abell died seized of it in 1597.  About 1652, it was purchased of his son Ralph Abell, by an ancestor of the present proprietor.  The parish pays a chief rent of 27s. to her Majesty, of £13 10s. to the Marquis of Anglesea, and the Corporation of Etwall and Repton have various sums.  It extends into the manors of Stanton-by-Bridge and Donnington. A tram railroad from the lime works on the east side of the parish, extends to Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Leicester.  These quarries, the property of the lord of the manor, except a small portion worked by Mr Thomas Cope, have been worked for upwards of 50 years, and the lime is in great repute for agricultural purposes.  The railroad now belongs to the Midland Counties Railway Company.  About three-quarters of a mile south from the village is a manufactory of brown earthenware.  The Methodists and General Baptists have each chapels.  A school for 40 girls was erected in 1822, and is supported by the lady of the late Sir G. Crewe, Bart.  Feast, second Sunday in July.  At the east extremity of the village is a handsome entrance lodge to Calke Abbey, and another half-a-mile more south, near the boundary of the parish.

TATSHALL FEE, 1 mile south from Ticknall, is an extra-parochial estate of 60 acres of rich land, ther property of Earl Stamford and Warrington, in the occupation of William Willder, Esq., but has no house.

CHARITIES. - Ticknall School. - Sir Henry Harpur, Bart., and his mother the Hon. Dame Catharine Harpur, conveyed to trustees, in 1744, a piece of land on which a school had been built by the said Dame Catharine, to teach such of the inhabitants of Calke and Ticknall as should be nominated by her heirs ; and also sold two closes called the Hurky Cliffs, at Tissington, with a barn and cow-house thereon, upon trust that the rents thereof should go to keep the school in repair, and the residue to the person who should teach the said school.  The old school being very dilapidated, was lately taken down by Sir George Crewe, who has built, at his own expense, on the site, a dwelling house for the master, and a school room adjoining thereto, on his own land.  The master has for many years received £11 1s., as the rent of the land, but in 1825 Sir George Crewe agreed to pay them £25 per annum, and to make that sum £30 if he did not make £10 more by the scholars, who should pay for their instruction.  40 boys are appointed from the parishes of Ticknall and Calke, to be taught free.  Lady Crewe supports a school for girls.

Dame Catharine Harpur, in 1741, gave £100 on trust, to be laid out in a convenient purchase, and until then to be put to interest, and the profits therefrom to be given for the instruction of 6 poor boys and 6 poor girls of Ticknall.  In 1767, an extract from this deed was transmitted by William Cartwright, Esq., the executor of the Countess of Arran ; and out of the personal estate, to which Lady Harpur became entitled on the death of her sister, the sum of £100 with 7 years’ interest thereon, amounting to £128, was transmitted to the Rev. Walter Fletcher, the curate of Calke and Ticknall.  This sum was placed out at interest, but in consequence of the failure of the party to whom it was sent, was reduced to £80.  In the year 1815 this money came into the hands of the Rev. Walter Fletcher, of Dalston, in Cumberland. Until 1821, £4 a year was paid to the master of the school at Ticknall, through the hands of a tradesman in Derby.  Since that time it has not been demanded, so that in 1826 the principal and interest amounted to £100.  Mr Fletcher is anxious to be relieved from any further trouble, and we have therefore recommended him to invest the sum of £100 in the funds in the names of Sir George Crewe, and some other person having property in Ticknall, so that the dividends arising therefrom should be applied to the education of 12 poor children.

HOSPITAL. - Charles Harpur, Esq., in 1770, directed that his brother, Sir Henry Harpur, his executor, should, out of a sum of £9,500 then owing to him by his said brother, lay out £500 in building an hospital in or near Ticknall, for poor decayed men and women of Ticknall and Calke ; and that the sum of £2,000 should be laid out in the names of his said brother and James Gisbourne, and --- Wilmot, Esqrs., upon mortgage or government security, upon trust, that the interest arising therefrom should be applied to the maintenance of as many poor men and women in the said hospital as his vrother should appoint.  In pursuance of the above-named will, an hospital was erected in Ticknall, in 1772, with the particulars on an inscription thereon.  This hospital contains 7 tenements, each of which comprises a room on the ground floor, a chamber over it, with a large pantry, and a plot of garden ground, and are kept in repair by Sir George Crewe, Bart.  It does not appear in what manner the legacy of £2,000 was laid out, but it is understood that the interest of that sum at the rate of 4 per cent. is payable by Sir George Crewe.  He accordingly pays £10 a year to each of the 7 inmates, and the remaining £10 is reserved for the expences of the repairs.  4 poor men or women of the parish of Ticknall, and three of the parish of Calke, are appointed.

POST-OFFICE. - John Hickinbotham, Postmaster.  Letters arrive from Derby at 7, morning, and from Ashby-de-la-Zouch at 6-30, evening ; and are despatched to Ashby at 7, morning, to Derby at 6-30, evening.

Atkin Wm. clock and watch maker
Briggs Geo. schoolmaster
Bryan Mrs Elizabeth
Charlesworth Wm, saddler
Cox Rev. Richardson, M.A., incumbent, parsonage house
Cope Thomas, brickmaker, Priory
Grime Thomas, land agent
Hancock Wm. fellmonger, Priory
Hutchinson John, collector
Hyde John, brownware manufacturer
Kirk Wm. assistant overseer and constable of Calke and Ticknall
Mason Thos. woolcomber & spinner, Priory
Nicklinson Richard, gentleman
Richdale James, glover
Richdale, John, stonemason & engraver
Sims Mrs Mary
Sheffield Thomas, brewer
Sheffield Geo. surgeon
Sheffield Wm. veterinary surgeon
Warrington Susan, schoolmistress
Wragg John, woodman

INNS & TAVERNS
Chequers, Thomas Sheffield
Royal Oak, William Charlesworth
Wheel, James Morley

BEERHOUSES
Briggs John
Cartlidge John
Soar Wm
Toplis Geo

BAKERS
Hollis Elizabeth
Nicklinson John
Soar Wm

BLACKSMITHS
Briggs John
Cartlidge John
Minion Wm

BOOKKEEPERS
Bott Samuel
Ordish Ralph

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS
Ratcliff Joseph
Smith Geo
Smith Francis

BUILDERS
Dickin John
Leverett George, and stonemason
Marriott Ths. & joiner

BUTCHERS
Mee Gilbert
Richdale Wm
Sale Wm
Shaw John
Wragg John Thos

FARMERS
Bryan Nathnl
Cheatle Benjamin
Dumelow Thos. Wm
Richdale John
Spencer Henry
Spencer Philip

GARDENERS
Mason Wm
Spencer Philip, and seedsman
Spencer Wm. & sdsm

GROCERS
Bott Edm. & druggist
Nicklinson John

LIME BURNERS
Cope Thos. Priory
Ordish Rowland

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS
Bott Edmd
Hickinbotham John
Sheffield Henry

MALTSTERS
Cope Thos. Priory
Ordish Rowland

SHOPKEEPERS
Brooks William, and hairdresser
Hollis Elizabeth
Richdale Mary
Topliss James

TAILORS
Brooks John
Cater Joseph
Hickinbotham John
Peach Charles

WHEELWRIGHTS
Dickin John
Hambury Thos
Shreeve Daniel

CARRIERS
John Smith, to Derby Mon. Wed. & Fri., and to Ashby on Sat
Thos. Charville, to Derby Mon. Wed. & Fri.

Back to Top of Page
Return to Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory Index Page
Return to the South Derbyshire Genealogical Resource Page
© 2000 Brett Payne