About a mile S.E. from Hartshorn is the prosperous
hamlet of WOODEN BOX, where are many pottery works, in which the inhabitants
are almost exclusively employed.
POST OFFICE, Thomas Harrison, Post Master. - Letters from ASHBY-DE-LE-ZOUCH, LEICESTER, &c. arrive every morning at half-past nine, and are despatched every afternood at half-past three. - Letters from BURTON-UPON-TRENT, &c. arrive every afternoon at half-past three, and are despatched every morning at half-past nine. Directory Listing
extracted from: Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory of Derbyshire, 1835 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)
Wooden Box, a small village partly in Ashby de la Zouch parish, 1½ miles S.S.W. from Hartshorn. Here are several extensive earthenware manufacturers. A petty session for the counties of Derby, Leicester and Stafford, is held at the Potters' Arms, every other Tuesday. Directory Listing
extracted from: History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire, by Samuel Bagshaw, 1846 (Collection of C.B. Payne)
WOODVILLE, an ecclesiastical district,
in the union of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, partly in the parish of Ashby-de-la-Zouch,
hundred of West Goscote, county of Leicester, and partly in the parish
of Hartshorn, hundred of Repton and Gresley, county of Derby, 3 1/2 miles
north-west-by-west from Ashby; containing about 700 inhabitants [in
Woodville is a modern village, until lately called Wooden-Box. About thirty years ago, a person appointed to take the toll at a side gate on the road from Ashby to Burton-on-Trent, was sheltered from the weather by a common watch-box, there being at the time no houses in the neighbourhood; and when the earthenware manufactories of Gresley and Swadlincote were extended to the place, it obtained the name of Wooden-Box, which was changed in 1845 for its present more euphonious name of Woodville. The houses are on each side of the high-road; those on the left side are in the parish of Ashby, and the houses on the right in Hartshorn parish.
The inhabitants are partly colliers, but chiefly potters, the immediate vicinity containing a bed of fine clay, which is extensively used for eathenware and firebricks. Petty Sessions are held once a fortnight at the Potters' Arms inn.
The first stone of the Church, dedicated to St Stephen, was laid in November 1845, by Earl HOWE; the edifice is in the Norman style, and built of durable stone quarried near its site. The living is in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The Wesleyans have a small place of worship.
extracted from: Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, 1848, Vol 4, p.661, by Sonia Addis-Smith
About one mile S.E. from Hartshorn is WOODVILLE
(formerly Wooden Box), where are many pottery works in which the
inhabitants are almost exclusively employed. A branch railway from
the tunnel near Gresley, is now in the course of being laid down.
The new church of Saint Stephen here was consecarated in December, 1846
: a consolidated chapelry, made up from the contiguous parishes of Ashby-de-la-Zouch
and Hartshorn, was assigned, and the benefice was erected into a perpetual
curacy by an order in council in June, 1847 - the patron of which is the
Bishop of Peterborough. In March, 1848, a handsome and spacious school-room
was opened for the accomodation of one hundred and fifty day scholars,
with a house for the master. The present population of the new district
chapelry of Woodville has not been ascertained. POST OFFICE, WOODVILLE
(parish of Harthsorn), William Cash, Post Master. - Letters from
all parts arrive every morning at nine, and are despatched at half-past
four in the afternoon (Sundays excepted). Directory
extracted from: Slater's Directory of Derbyshire, 1850 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)
WOODVILLE OR WOODEN BOX, 1 mile S.W. from Hartshorne, is a large and well built flourishing village, where there are nine extensive earthenware manufactories, (the largest of which is Messrs. Thomspon Brothers), in which the principal part of the inhabitants are employed. The Burton and Ashby-de-la-Zouch Branch of the Midland Railway has a station here, from whence there are three trains each way daily, (Sundays excepted) for goods only. The Lock-up or house of detention, for the County of Derby, is a neat brick building, erected in 1846, but not occupied till November, 1847. Petty sessions are held here for the Counties of Derby, Leicester and Stafford, every other Tuesday ; Mr. Thos. Rhodes, superintendent. The new Church (St. Stephen) is a small stone edifice, situated in the Leicestershire part, was consecrated in December, 1846, a consolidated chapelry, made up from the contiguous parishes of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Hartshorn. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £45, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough, and incumbency of the rev. G.F. Matthews. The parsonage is a neat brick residence near the Church, erected in 1850. The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel here. In 1848 a handsome and spacious National School with a house for the master, was erected of brick which will accomodate 100, average 65. The population in 1851 of the entire New Ecclesiatical district of Woodville contained 210 houses and 986 inhabitants, of whom 581 were males and 485 females. Post Office, at William Cash's, letters arrive from Burton-n-Trent, by Mail cart, at 4 45 a.m., and are despatched at 8 55 p.m. Money Orders are granted and paid here. Directory Listing
extracted from: Directory of Derbyshire, by F. White & Co., 1857
WOODVILLE, 1 mile S.W. from Hartshorn, is a large and well-built flourishing village, where there are several extensive earthenware manufactories (the largest of which is Messrs. Thompson Brothers), in which the principal part of the inhabitants are employed. The Burton and Ashby-de-la-Zouch Branch of the Midland Railway has a station here. Here is a lock-up, or house of detention, for the county of Derby. Petty sessions are held here for the counties of Derby, Leicester, and Stafford, every other Tuesday. The new church (St. Stephen) is a small stone edifice, situated in the Leicestershire part ; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev. Alfred Bousfield ; the parsonage is a neat brick residence near the church. The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel here. Here is also a national school. Post office at William Cash's, Woodville ; letters arrive from Burton-on-Trent, by mail cart, at 4.45 A.M., and are despatched at 8.55 P.M. Money orders are granted and paid here. Directory Listing
extracted from: Harrison, Harrod, and Co.'s Directory and Gazetteer of Derbyshire, 1860 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)
Ashby township also includes Alton Grange,
a detached part of the parish, containing about 250 acres ; the farms of
Prestop Park, Old Parks, &c., and part of the large village
of WOODVILLE, or Wooden Box, which is partly in Derbyshire, and
has an excellent bed of fire clay, which is extensively manufactured
into earthenware and fire bricks, and large quantities of
it are sent away for the use of iron founders.
WOODVILLE, which was called WOODEN BOX until 1845, is a modern village, of more than 1000 souls, in the Wolds, 4½ miles S.E of Burton-upon-Trent, and 3½ miles N.W. by W. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. It is mostly the property of the Marquis of Hastings, and by an order in Council, dated June 17th, 1847, it was formed into a Consolidated Chapelry out of the parishes of Hartshorne and Ashby. Its inhabitants are partly colliers, but chiefly potters, there being in its immediate vicinity a good bed of fine clay, which is extensively used here in the manufacture of earthenware and fire-bricks. About 25,000 dozens of pottery are made here weekly ; and many persons are employed at the extensive brewing establishment of Messrs. Brunt and Bucknall. Fifty years ago, the only building that stood here was the wooden toll-house, from which the village that has since been built around it obtained the name Wooden Box, which was changed for the more euphonius title of Woodville, on the 7th of November, 1845, when Earl Howe laid the first stone of St. Stephen's Church, a neat building of Norman architecture, comprising a nave, small aspidal chancel, and a bell turret at the south-west corner. The church was consecrated December 8th, 1846, and contains 350 sittings, of which 282 are free. Some of the windows contain medallions of stained glass, and the interior is appropriately fitted up, and seated with open benches. The Incorporated Society gave £250 towards the building fund, and the remainder was raised by subscription. The perpetual curacy, valued at £90 per annum, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough, and incumbency of the Rev. Alfred Bousfield, B.A., who has a good residence, built in 1849, at a cost of about £1200. Near the church is a commodious National School, attended by about 50 children. The Wesleyan Chapel is a neat building, erected in 1862, at a cost of £700, on the site of one built in 1816. Petty Sessions are held occasionally at the Potters' Arms Inn ; and W. Dewes, Esq., of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, is clerk to the magistrates. The village is lighted with gas, from the works at Swadlingcote. POST OFFOCE at Wm. Cash's. Letters arrive from Burton-on-Trent at 4¼ morning, and are despatched at 7.50 evening. Here are also a Money Order Office and Post Office Savings' Bank, open from 9 morning till 6 evening. Directory Listing
extracted from: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland, by William White, 1863 (on microfiche publ. by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society)
WOODVILLE, formerly called WOODEN BOX, and still known as such, is an ecclesiastical district in the union and partly in the parish of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, in the hundred of West Goscote (North Leicestershire) and partly in the parish of Hartshorne (Derbyshire.) It is 3½ miles (N.W.) from Ashby. About 60 years ago the person appointed to receive the tolls at a side gate on the road to Ashby was sheltered from the weather merely by a common watchman's box, there being no dwellings near. When the earthenware manufactories of Swadlincote and Gresley were extended to the place, it obtained the sobriquet of Wooden Box, which was however exchanged in 1845 for its present more euphonius title. The houses are mostly on each side of the high road, those on the left (going from Ashby to Burton) being in Ashby parish, and those on the right being in Hartshorne. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the collieries and potteries, there being many beds of good coal, as also of fine clay in the vicinity, for the manufacture of earthenware and fire bricks. Petty sessions are held at the Police station once a fortnight, and once a months weights and measures are adjusted here. St Stephen's church, opened in 1846, is built in the Norman style with stones quarried near to its site. The vicarage is of the annual value of £80 with residence, and in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. There is a large Wesleyan chapel built in 1862, which will seat about 700 persons. Littleworth and Albert Villages are hamlets in this parish. Post, Money Order, and Telegraph office at Mr. W.T. Villiers. Letters arrive at 4.30 a.m. and 4.35 p.m., dispatched at 8.20 a.m. and 7.55 p.m. Post town, Burton. CARRIERS. Betteridge & Gilbert, Burton, Th ; Derby, F ; Ashby, S. ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH. Services - Sunday, 10.30 and 6. Sacrament first Sunday in month. Parish Clerk, Jno. Stevens. Hymns A. and M. CHAPELS. - Wesleyan. Services - Sunday, 10.30 and 6 ; Wednesday, at 7. - Primitive Methodist, 2.30 and 6 ; Wednesday, at 7. - Congregational, at Boundary, 2.30 and 6, and every alternate Thursday evening at 7. Directory Listing
extracted from: C.N. Wright's Directory of South Derbyshire, October 1874 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)
No parish description for: Kelly's Directory
of Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire & Rutland, and Derbyshire, 1881
(on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society)
No parish description for: Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1887 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society) Directory Listing
No parish description for: Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895 (on microfiche publ. by the Derbyshire Family History Society) Directory Listing
Woodville (formerly Wooden Box)
Woodville is one mile SW from Hartshorne. It is a large and flourishing village, a considerable portion of which is on the Leicestershire side of the border. Potter's clay is abundant in the district, and an extensive trade is done in the manufacture of sanitary and yellow earthenware. There are also several breweries, which give employment to a large number of people. The village has sprung into existence in recent years, and was at first called Wooden Box, from the small wooden structure in which the toll for horses, carts, &c, was collected. The more aristocratic name of Woodville has taken the place of Wooden Box, but the latter still adorns the front of the police station in the village.
A church, dedicated to St Stephen was erected at Woodville in 1846. It is a neat stone edifice, with apsidal chancel, lighted by five single-light windows, the three middle ones being filled with stained glass. By an Order in Council in 1847, Woodville was constituted a consolidated chapelry, the district embracing parts of Hartshorne and Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The church stands in the Leicestershire portion, and is consequently in the diocese of Peterborough, and held by the Rev C.E. BARWISE. The Wesleyans erected a handsome new chapel in 1894; they have also a day school, both of which are in Leicestershire. Directory Listing
Extracted from: History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire, by T. Bulmer and Co, 1895, pp. 754 Transcription by kind courtesy of Sonia Addis-Smith
Woodville is a sprawling industrialised
village sitting astride the busy A50 road on the Derbyshire-Leicestershire
border. Five roads converge onto a traffic island which is referred
to as Woodville Tollgate. Until 1845 this area was known as `Wooden
Box' and consisted of a string of cottages and a tavern along the road
to Ashby de la Zouch. The name was derived from an old port wine
butt which was a shelter for the toll-keeper; this was located near to
the present traffic island. Many people still refer to this area
as `Wooden Box' or, more colloquially, `Box'. In 1845 the name Woodville
was given to the village, and the consolidated chapelry of Woodville was
formed by Queen Victoria.
From being a rural hamlet it took off into the industrial revolution; there was an abundance of clay in the area and that provided the raw material for the flourishing sanitary earthenware trade. These items were purely functional and it was a proud boast that you could go anywhere in the world and use examples bearing the trademarks of either Outrams or Nadin & Parker. The potteries needed packaging for their wares so crate shops sprang up, adding other employment to the village. Brunt, Bucknal & Co lost no time in opening up a brewery to satisfy the thirst of the workers. The only part of the brewery which remains is the old bottling store in High Street, which is now a discount warehouse. The sanitary trade has declined but Bretby Art Pottery - established 1883 - still manufactures ornamental ware. A variety of their early pieces are much sought after by collectors. Remnants of the past remain; a Victorian post box set in a wall adjoining Butt farm, and, although they are without their outer brickwork, two bottle kilns still stand. One is near the Tollgate, the other behind a furniture shop in High Street.
The area between Butt Lane and Sun Street was considered to be the oldest part of the village; it was named `The City' and no doubt it was the hub of Woodville in the l9th century. Butt Lodge is reputed to be the oldest house, it stands back from its larger neighbour Butt House. The `Butt' referred to has nothing to do with wine or water, but with the archery butts located down the lane.
St Stephen's church was built in 1846 along Moira Road. One of its benefactors was Queen Adelaide, widow of William IV. A Church of England school and church hall were built nearby. The school was moved to High Street some years ago, but the building is now used as a community centre. Not one, but four Methodist churches have been erected since 1816. The present church, built in 1969, is an attractive modern building, which provides meeting facilities for a number of organisations.
Redevelopment has taken place along High Street; making way for sheltered housing and flats. New houses have been built over the last ten years which have brought fresh people into an otherwise static village. Shops are varied and most everyday needs are catered for. Along with the traditional `chippy' there are now other fast food outlets of a more exotic kind, eg Indian and Chinese.
Finally, a mention should be made of the local dialect - `Ay up, me duck' is the South Derbyshire way of saying `Hello, nice to see you', and, if storm clouds are looming, `It's black over Bill's mother's' - though who Bill is, no-one knows!
Extracted from: 'The Derbyshire Village Book' published by the Derbyshire Federation of Women's Institutes & Countryside Books, 1991. ISBN 1 85306 133 6
Back to Top
Microfilms were kindly made available for purchase by John Palmer, and have been transcribed by Brett Payne.
Baptisms 1847-50 1851-55
Surname Index to Baptisms (1847-1908) A-C D-J K-R S-Y Z
Surname Index to Marriages (1848-1908) A-D E-J K-R S-Y Z
N.B. The Surname Index includes the names of ALL grooms, brides, fathers and witnesses!
Burials 1847-1860 1861-1870
Surname Index to Burials (1847-1941) A-D E-J K-R S-Y Z
N.B. The entries for the period 1912-1941 were inserted on blank pages at the end of the register. There may well be other burials for this period which are in a separate register.
1841 Census of "Wooden Box" was included in the Hartshorne 1841 Enumeration District
1851 Census of Woodville
Derbyshire part - PRO Ref. HO 107/2084 Ashby de la Zouch 414, Hartshorne District 2, E.D. 9a Enumerator: Thomas Brown
"All that Part of the Parish of Hartshorne called the Over Town, and that of the Ecclesiastical District of Woodville within the said Parish also the Short Hazells, Sevell Wood, the Cottages in Heath Lane, the Coppice Farm and Cottage."
Leicestershire part - PRO Ref. HO 107/2084 Ashby de la Zouch 414, Ashby de la Zouch R.D. 3, E.D. 5g Enumerator: Thomas Price
"All that part of the parish of Ashby-de-la-Zouch which comprises part of the Ecclesiastical District of Woodville including Holy Well Farm, Hill Far, Mr Shaw's Farm and Mr Moore's Farm, Prislop Park the Houses on the south side of Wooden Box or Woodville commencing at California Square with those houses on the east and west side of the Hartshorne Turnpike Road, the Woulds, Union Lodge Farm, Swain's Park and Cop Darnel against the Furnace Tollgate."
Transcript (Derbyshire part) Fol. 266-272 Fol. 273-277 (Leicestershire part) Fol. 556-563 Fol. 564-574
1861 Census of Woodville - planned for inclusion during 2001
1891 Census of Woodville (Derbyshire part)
Transcript Fol. 71-74 Fol. 75-77 Fol. 78-81
Some Examples of Historical Documents Relating to Woodville
1848 Baptism Card for St Stephen's Parish Curch - Henry PAYNE (1842-1907)
1848 Scholar's Certificate for St Stephen's Daily & Sunday School - Henry PAYNE (1842-1907)
Burdett's 1791 Map of Derbyshire of Woodville and the surrounding parishes (199k)
Ordnance Survey 1":1 mile Map (1946) of Woodville and surrounding district (168k)
Ordnance Survey 1:25 000 Map (c1970s) of Woodville village (100k
Ordnance Survey 1:10.560 Map (6":1 mile) c.1887 of Woodville
Street Map of Woodville Village
Old photograph kindly supplied by The
Magic Attic *** NEW ***
---- St Stephen's Parish Church c. 1920
The Henry PAYNE (1842-1907) Story - Ch.2: Woodville & the Workhouse by Brett Payne of Tauranga, New Zealand
William Joseph MACKIE (1842-1898), Manager of Wraggs Pipe Works by Malcolm Smith
DAWKINS family of Woodville by Phil Marshall of NSW, Australia
CLARK family of Woodville by Richard Fletcher of Bramhall, nr Stockport, Cheshire, England