Home Farley Hass Database References Email FAQ Gallery Projects
The following is a list of documents that were used as source information when compiling the Farley/Hass genealogical database. Not all of the documents are available on line; but, the documents that are on line are linked from the name of the document.
This is not necessarily a complete list of referenced documents. And, some of the data from these sources may not have been used in the genealogical database. This is simply a list of the documents that were examined when the genealogical database was compiled.
Biographical and Historical Sources
Memorial and Biographical Record
publisher unknown (cover and first pages missing)
published 1897 (info. from 1901 obituary of Archie Duncan)
- P.H. Farley (page 94-5)
- Peter Lass (page 165-7)
- Thomas Ronan (page 114-5)
Biographical Directory of the South Dakota Legislature 1889-1989 Volume II L-Z
State Legislative Research Council, State Capitol, Pierre, SD
South Dakota Legislative Manual 1913
State Pulishing Company, Pierre, SD
Unpublished Family Histories
- Beresford Republic
newspaper of Beresford, SD
- Family history articles (publication dates):
- Henry Henle (Dec 22, 1977)
- Beresford- 100 Years
printed by the Beresford Republic and the Lennox Independent, 1983
- The family histories:
- James and Hannah Andrews (pg 231-2)
- Frank and Mary Farley (pg 275-6)
- Lawrence and Elizabeth Farley (pg 276)
- Leonard and Gertrude Farley (pg 276)
- Edward and Julia Fitzgerald (pg 278-81)
- Peter and Regina Lass (pg 338-9)
- James and Bessie McGuire (pg 346)
- Beresford 75 Year Jubilee
- Personal Recollection:
- Katherine Kennedy Lass (pg 46)
- Dakota Territory
- The family history:
- John and Anna Guischer and Family (pg 386)
- Hartford, SD Centennial 1881-1981
- The family history
- John and Susan Gillen (pg 108)
- Hawarden Centennial 1887-1987
printed by LeMars Daily Sentinel, 1987
- The family histories:
- James and Dorthea Hass (pg 639-40)
- Mc Guire (pg 719-20)
- Our Family Tree
written by Alice Hass
edited and updated by Mary (Hass) Lamothe
- Some Notes on the Farleys
compiled and transcribed by Rob Costello
A number of announcements of engagements, weddings, and anniversaries published in the Beresford News and the Beresford Republic were used as information sources.
Click here for a listing of marriage articles.
A number of obituaries published in the Beresford Republic, the Beresford News, and the Argus Leader were used as information sources.
Click here for a listing of obituaries.
Service Record of Men and Women of Beresford, South Dakota and Community
published by Walsworth Brothers
- Dale J. Farley (pg 34)
- Eugene Clair Farley (pg 34)
- Ronald Farley (pg 33)
- George William Jennings (pg 42)
- Robert Patrick Jennings (pg 42)
A wealth of information on dates of birth and death as well as the names of parents can be obtained from a number of official records, most of which can be obtained at county courthouses.
The following county records are available:
- Morgan County, IL, US: Birth and death records start in 1878.
- Union County, SD, US: All birth and death records before 1905 were lost in a fire. A search of any record requires a fee of $10.
- Anne Farrelly
- The following was obtained by the Meath Heritage Center
PARISH OF STAMULLEN
11th November 1839
Anne born to Laurence Farrelly and Mary Goff
Sponsors Edward McDonnell and Elizabeth Goff
- Waddam, Stephenson County, Illinois 1860
- Prairie Township, Union County, Dakota Territory 1880
- Prairie Township, Union County, South Dakota 1900
- Lawrence Farley
- Mary A. Farley
- Julia (Jordan) Fitzgerald
- Myrna Elizabeth (Farley) Hass (note: lists incorrect birth date)
- Peter Lass
- Regina (Cooper) Lass
- James McGuire
- Laurence Farley
- Section No. 10 in Township No. 95 of Range 50
Application: 23 March 1874
Final Certificate: 21 April 1880
The following land patent records can be accessed at the Bureau of Land Management's GLO web site.
Land patents were issued to the following people of Prairie Township (Township 95N Range 50W) of Union County, Dakota Territory.
- James Farley
- Co. H, 67th Illinois Infantry
Company Muster-in Roll: (age 18) 13 June 1862
Company Muster-out Roll: (age 18) 6 Oct 1862
- Laurence Farley
- 28 January 1860
Stephenson County, IL
Social Security Death Index
The following social security death index records are among those which can be accessed at the Sierra Home Network Social Security Death Index
- Farley, Mary (Henle) 503507497
- Farley, Mary (Lass) 504366165
- Hass, Lee 480466367
- Ranschau, Anna (Geldermann) 478562218
These records and others are also available at the Rootsweb Social Security Death Index
The following transcriptions of business directories are available at theUS GenWeb site.
Articles from both the Beresford News and the Beresford Republic were used as references.
The following is a list of notes which documented recollections made by members of the family. In some cases, these notes were taken by the interviewer as he spoke with these people. In one other case, the notes were made by the person at her leisure.
- Charlotte A. Farley (2000)
- One evening, C. A. Farley was visited by her cousin, Brian Hass. The two spent hours talking about a wide variety of topics, much of which pertained to the family history. Brian took dated notes on stationery. C. A. Farley's father, James Farley, was the brother of Brian's grandfather, Frank Farley.
- Mary C. (Lass) Farley (1991)
- During the fall of 1991, Mary's grandson, Brian Hass, left a blank notebook at Mary's apartment at Evergreen Squares for the purpose of allowing her to document her personal recollections about the family's history. After Mary's death in December of that same year, the notebook was returned to Brian Hass. In the notebook, Mary listed the names of the children of James and Bessie (Swift) McGuire, and the names of the children of Peter and Regina (Cooper) Lass. She also listed the children's spouses as well as some of the dates of birth, marriage, and death. Brian has since been able to verify some of this information.
- Ann W. (Ranschau) Hass (2000)
- A. Hass received a phone call from her grandson, Brian Hass, and discussed family history. Brian documented her comments in dated notes on both loose-leaf paper as well as on a printout of the GSCGS cemetery survey, which Brian frequently used as the basis for his questions.
- Myrna E. (Farley) Hass (1996-98)
- During the last two years of her life, Myrna was frequently interviewed by her son, who documented her remarks in dated notes on loose-leaf notebook paper in a ring binder. Some of the collected information was of nostalgic value only; but, some of it was genealogically significant.
- Edna Farley and C. Leach (early 1990's)
- During the early 1990's, Edna Farley brought her cousin, D. Leach, and D. Leach's daughter, C. Leach, out to the St. Joseph Cemetery in Emmet Township, Union County for a tour of the older family gravestones. They were joined by Edna's other cousin, Myrna Hass, and Myrna's son, Brian Hass. Brian gathered many notes from Edna Farley as well as one or two notes from C. Leach, who was also performing genealogical research of her own. Many of the notes Brian gathered were nothing more than transcriptions of names and dates from gravestones pointed out by Edna Farley; but, some of the notes also recorded some family history as told by Edna Farley on that day.
- The Famine Immigrants, Vol VII
- SHANNON, 10 July 1851, from Liverpool (pg 420-1)
The ship's manifest includes:
- Mary Farley, age 30, no occupation
- Anne Farley, age 11, no occupation
- Patrick Farley, age 9, child
- James Farley, age 7, child
- Mary Farley, age 2, child
- Catherine Goff, age 19, no occupation
Possible Zodiac Victim: Donna Lass: This web page from the web site on the Zodiac Killer documents the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Donna Lass in Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
The research at this web site also contains data from documents shared by the following researchers:
Copyright © 2002 Brian M. Hass
- Dennis Courville
- Harriet Dias
- Sammie Dudley
- Robert Jennings
- Mary Lamothe
- Paul Martin
- Gary Mischke
- Beth Orsi
- Estelle Slattery