John H. Brown
- Born: 1787, Greenville Co, SC
- Marriage: Susannah Miller in Greenville Co, SC
- Died: 3 Jul 1864, Greenville Co, SC at age 77
Complaint of ALFRED BROWN shows as follows:
1. That JOHN BROWN his father died several years ago leaving his will by which he disposed of his real and personal estate.
2. That he is sole qualified executor of said will and has executed the same by paying all the debts of his estate.
3. That the estate in the 2 and 4 clauses o fhis will devised a tract of land situate in said county and containing two hundred and sixty acres to your petitioner and his brother ISRAEL BROWN after the death of their mother widow of said JOHN BROWN by each of them paying unto his estate five hundred dollars.
4. That their said mother has departed this life and ISRAEL BROWN one of said devisee's has departed this life since the death of said JOHN BROWN.
5. That said tract of land should be sold by the orders of the Probate Judge and one thousand dollars of the proceeds of said sale be applied in equalizing the legatees of the said JOHN BROWN, according to the directions of his will and that the balance of the proceeds of said sale and the legal representatives of CATO ISRAEL BROWN.
6. That the legatees under the will of said JOHN BROWN of the State of Georgia, WILLIAM BROWN and the heirs of MARY (BROWN) FLEMING all of same state. SARAH (BROWN) ROBERTS of the state of Alabama, SUSAN (BROWN) HAWKINS of Pickens County, ALFRED BROWN your petitioner.
Children of EDMUND BROWN viz SARAH (BROWN ) MEADOWS of the State of Georgia. WILLIS BROWN out of the state and his residence not known. LEONARD BROWN, EDMUND BROWN in Greenville County.
JAMES BROWN and children SUSAN CONDRE (CONDREY), one of them living in said county, the others out of the state and residence not known.
ISAAC WIGGINTON's children out of state.
ELIZABETH SIMMONS children viz HIRAM SIMMONS and ELIZABETH DUNCAN both in Greenville.
JOHN WIGGINTON's out of state.
7. That the heirs of ISRAEL BROWN deceased consist of wife NANCY M. BROWN, and his three children, NELSON DARIUS, JOHN, and LAWRENCE SIMPSON BROWN.
Will of John H. Brown
In the Name of God, Amen: I John Brown of Greenville District and the State of South Carolina being of sound mind and disposing memory do hereby make and ordain this to be my last will and testament in mannor and form following:
1. I will and devise that my Executors do pay all my just debts and funeral expenses out of the first money that may come unto their hands.
2. I will and bequeath to my wife, SUSANNAH (MILLER) BROWN the tract of land, in wherein I now live (and purchased of THOMAS SMITH, SR.) containing two hundred and sixty acres, more or less, during her natural life and at her death, to my two sons ISRAEL H. BROWN and ALFRED PRESTON BROWN, legally to be divided between them. I also will my wife, one sow and pigs, and cow and calf.
3. I will and bequeath to my wife SUSANNAH BROWN, my negro SAM, and negro woman ESTHER, and nego man MATISON, all my household and kitchen furniture and two mules, all my farming tools, during her natural life.
4. I will and bequeath unto my two sons, ISRAEL BROWN and ALFRED BROWN my tract of land whereas I now live after the death of my wife, and by each of them paying into my estate five hundred dollars, so as to enable me to make all equal.
5. I will and bequeath to ISAAC WIGGINTON, JOHN WIGGINTON, and ELIZABETH WIGGINTON five dollars each.
6. I will and bequeath to the children of EDMUND BROWN, one dollar each as the portion of my estate I allow them.
7. I will to the children of JAMES BROWN, one dollar each as the portion of my estate I allow them.
8. After the death of my wife, I direct my executors to sell and dispose of that portion of my estate willed to my wife during her natural life. After her death, as early as convenient adn divide the same equally between my sons JOSEPH BROWN, WILLIAM BROWN, ISRAEL BROWN, and ALFRED BROWN. And my daughters POLLY (MARY) and children, SUSANNAH HAWKINS and her children and SALLIE (SARAH) ROBERTS and her children.
9. I direct my executors to collect from my two sons, ALFRED and WILLIAM (Note of Louise Heffner: William has to be wrong if clauses 2 and 4 are correct) five hundred dollars each due on the land and divide in the same manner as directed in the eighth clause of this my will.
10. I direct my executors to sell all the residue of my property and divide the same as directed in the eighth clause of this my will.
11. I direct my executors, to __________ my five sheep.
12. I do __________ and an _________ my executors to make titles to and lands I may dispose of.
The kids of ISRAEL BROWN in the 2 and 4 clause of this will may inherit life legacy.
In testimony where of I the said JOHN BROWN have here unto set my hand and seal the 30th day of April A.D. 1844.
Signed, Sealed and Published and Declared by the above named JOHN BROWN as his last will and testament.
JOHN x BROWN in presence of us and in presence of the testator, D. HOKE, T.C. BOLLING, T, DONALDSON, S.J. DOUTHIT, Probate Judge.
John married Susannah Miller, daughter of Israel Miller Sr and Mary Henderson, in Greenville Co, SC. (Susannah Miller was born in 1785 in Wilkes Co, GA and died in Aug 1874 in Greenville, SC.)