Tinicum was organized in 1738.

 Lower Tinicum, rebuilt A.D. 1908 Church Yard, SWOPE Tinicum is bounded by the Delaware river and Nockamixon on the north, the Delaware on the east, the Tohickon which separates it from Plumstead and Bedminster, on the south, and by Nockamixon on the west. The area is seventeen thousand one hundred and seventy-seven acres.

Lower Tinicum, rebuilt A.D. 1908 , Peter W. Beeler, Samuel A. Snyder, Isaac R. Lear, George W. Lerch

The London Company was among the very earliest land-owners in the township as well as the largest, and the purchase was probably made about the time the company bought part of manor of Highlands in 1699. The stream of immigration that planted the Scotch-Irish on the banks of the Deep run, in Bedminster, carried settlers of the samChurch Yard on Brick Church Road down behind Lower Tinicume race across the Tohickon, into the then wilderness of Tinicum, in the first quarter of the last century.

Settled there in 1730 were: William, Edward and Moses Marshall, Moses and Joseph Collins, Joseph Haverford, Richard Thatcher, David Griffee, Richard Minturn, James Ross, John Hall, James Willey, not one of whom was German.


Signers of the petition to organize: William, Edward and Moses Marshall, Moses, Joseph and Jonathan Collins, Joseph Haverford, Richard Thatcher, David Griffee, Richard Minturn, James Ross, John Hall, James Willey, James Stewart, Joseph M. King, Michael Williamson, William Rickey, John McKee, John Peterson, James Briggs, James Campbell, John Stewart, James Johnston, John Shaw, William Hill and Joseph McFarland.

There are four churches in the township, Presbyterian, Lutheran and Reformed, Christian, and Baptist. The Tinicum Presbyterian church is the oldest of that denomination north of Deep Run. At what time it was organized we do not know, but in the summer of 1739 the Reverend James Campbell preached there and at Newtown. Upper Tinicum Union Cemetery

Tinicum continued to be the home of a remnant of the Delaware Tribe of Indians for upwards of twenty-five years after it was surveyed.


The two settlements of Lower Black Eddy and Tohickon Creek became the single village Tinicum Post Office, Point Pleasant The Inn
bulletTHE DOAN'S
bulletUpper Tinicum Union Cemetery
bullet  Burials at Upper Tinicum Union Church
bulletDavis' History of Tinicum
bullet Ottsville
bullet Hillpot Graveyard: Tinicum, Bucks County
bullet Burials at Lower Tinicum Church
Bunker Hill was a half dozen houses in Clay Ridge School District of Tinicum Township, in the mid-western part of the township near the line between Tinicum and Nockamixon Townships. It lies near Beaver Falls on Beaver Creek. The name is probably from the Bunker Hill in Massachusetts. There is an old private graveyard east of Clay Ridge Road.

The Point Pleasant Inn was first licensed in 1792 to John Van Fossen.

DOAN BROTHERS: Moses Levi, Aaron, Joseph, Mahlon and their cousin Abraham. Early 1700's. The British disaster inspired them with a spirit and recklessness. Horses and tax monies disappeared. In August 1783, Moses was shot and Abe and Levi were hanged and buried in Gardenville. Joseph & Aaron fled safely to Canada.

Upper Tinicum Upper Tinicum Union Cemetery.Coming South on Route 32 (River Road) through Kintnersville, 1 mile south of the bridge to Milford NJ, turn right (west) on Jugtown Hill Road for approx. 1/2 mile to Upper Tinicum Church Road, turn left. - the church is on the Left.

Tohickon Creek

Tohickon Creek is the second largest stream in the county, inferior only to the Neshaminy. For many years it has been noted for its large mill dams and important grist mills. ... Tohickon is an Indian place name, changed only slightly from the Indian word To-hick-han or To-hick-hanne. Heckewelder interprets this word to mean 'the stream over which we pass by means of a bridge of drift-wood," but more recent students of the Indian tongue take exception to this definition and say it means 'deer-bone creek.3



Habonim Dror Camp Galil is a Habonim Dror North America summer camp for Jewish students in northern Ottsville, Pennsylvania, United States, about 30 miles north of Philadelphia. It runs for seven weeks during the summer and hosts several seminars during the year.







DELHAAS Class 59



This website was created as a guide to the history and genealogy of Bucks County Pennsylvania . All efforts have been made to be accurate and to document sources. Some of the material has been contributed and published, with permission, in good faith. I am always open to suggestions. Enjoy!
1997-2007 Nancy C. Benner Janyszeski © - P.O. Box 235 - Revere PA 18953 - All rights reserved. Please feel free to link to the pages on this site. I accept no responsibility for the content of other websites or for services or products purchased or used as a result of a link from these pages.