William Payne and Mary Elizabeth Humphreys Clatterbuck
By Frances Mayes Rozell
William Payne came with George Howison in 1854 through Bogota with a drove of Missouri Mules for sale. They were told they might find lodging with the William Humphrey's (sic) family. They did and William took a liking to one of Mr. Humphrey's daughters. he returned and married her January 29l 1856. She was Mary Elizabeth Humphreys born February 11, 1835 in Coffeeville, Yalobusha County, Mississippi. Her mother was Mary McGill Humphreys.
William was a stockman and was the builder of the first steam cotton gin in the Bogota community. it was built on his property which was located in the NW part of Maple Springs (now Bogota). Just before ginning season started, William was testing his machinery when his right arm was caught in the saws and was torn off almost to the shoulder.
William and Mary were parents of two daughters: Mary Frances "Fannie" (b. January 28, 1859 d. February 22, 1937; Martha (1857-1862). Fannie married November 30, 1881, Neil McCoul Howison.
William Payne Clatterbuck died April 17, 1899. Mary Elizabeth died February 15, 1915. They are buried in Bogota Cemetery.
From J. Howison:
Circa 1853, William Payne Clatterbuck (who would have been 18) and his coeval friend, George Howison, were hired to drive a herd of mules to Texas, and addes as many of their own as they could finance. When they stopped at Mapel Springs, they put the mules in William Humphrey's pen (a crossed rail affair, still unaware of the term "corral") As they herded them in, Elizabeth and her sister May Eliza watched from a cabin window and each "claimed" on of the boys. At dinner that evening, William H., interested in finding husbands for his daughters, held forth on the attractiveness of the area, and may have hinted that his daughters would have dowries of some 250 acres. be that as it may, they settled their affairs in Missouri and came back to marry the two girls in 1854.
"The History of Clarksville and Old Red River County"
Pat B. Clark
William P. Clatterbuck was a farmer-stockman, and he and a partner built and operated the first gin at Maple Springs. He later bought out the other man's interest and in 1880 machinery for operating by steam was installed, and on the day the steam was turned on for a test, William P, Clatterbuck had his arm caught in the stand, which necessitated having the left arm amputated at the shoulder. Interested in politics and public spirited, he and his wife gave the grounds on which our present grammar school is located. He was in the Commissary Dept. CSA in charge of wagons between San Antonio and Northern part of the State. He died April 18, 1899. Elizabeth died on February 15, 1915.
They loved the younger people of the community and must have been loved by them, for many times we are told of how Uncle Bill and Aunt Lizzie had been kind ot this or that in their younger days. And for years any ambitious boy could stay there to go to school and there were usually several there.
She was a charter member of the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized here and remained to her death.
Neil and Fannie Howison were the Parents of Seven Children:
Elizabeth "Bessie" Howison b. November 29, 1882 d. April 13, 1977, married June 28, 1911, HermanCharles McCluer;
Anne Lee Howison b. October 25, 1885 d. January 2, 1957, married Morgan Rozell on November 19, 1908.
Frances Virginia Howison b. September 20, 1887 d. November 19, 1981, married Rom Bishop on September 10, 1924.
Neil McCoul Howison Jr. b. August 25, 1889 d. August 1, 1890;
William Clatterbuck "Buck" Howison b.July 12, 1891 d. December 1, 1948, married Raviah Sullivan Currin on November 18, 1923.
Rebecca Howison b. August 20, 1893 d. June 15, 1969, married William Delbert Harvey on December 15, 1915.
Edna Moore Howison b. December 10, 1895 d. August 16, 1979.