Pages 759 & 760
The ancestors of the Bauman family emigrated from Germany. Henry Bauman, the grandfather of Dennis, was among the first settlers of Northampton County north of the Blue Mountains, in Towamensing township, now Lower Towamensing township, Carbon Co. The place he chose for settlement was about two miles north of Lehigh Gap, near where the Lutheran and German Reformed Church now stands. The first thing he did was to clear land, thus making a farm for himself and family. He also followed the lumbering business, and spent much time in hunting and trapping. His family consisted of four children, equally divided in sex. In those days the settlers were frequently persecuted by the Indians, so much so that at one time Mr. Bauman was forced to send his wife and family to a place near Easton for safety. When his sons arrived at the age of maturity they were married. The oldest, John D., father of Dennis, was born about the year 1772, and in 1796 settled in a place now known as Bowmansville. His house was built of logs, and to-day near the place stands the elegant residence of his youngest son, Josiah. He then became engaged in clearing a farm and lumbering, and, as his father before him had done, spent much time in hunting and trapping. In 1808 he built a large stone house, in front of which ran the old turnpike from Berwick to Easton. He obtained license, and from that time until his death, which occurred in 1853, kept the hotel, which to-day is still used as the same. Mr. Bauman was an active, intelligent business man, and in all his undertakings was successful. He was one of the leading citizens of that county; was also elected at one time county commissioner for three years, which term of public office he very creditably filled. He was loved and respected by all who knew him. He was the father of twelve children,—eight sons and four daughters,—five of whom are now dead.
Henry Bauman, his brother, settled on a farm about one mile north of Lehigh Gap, on the north bank of the Lehigh River, where he spent his entire lifetime. He too reared a large family, and died at the age of ninety-two.
Dennis Bauman, the seventh in succession, and son of the late John D. Bauman, was born April 10, 1819, at Bowmansville, then Northampton County, now Carbon.
His early life was spent at home, assisting his father with his farming and lumbering. In those days an education was not as easily obtained as it is to-day. While at home he attended the three months of winter school until he was sixteen years old, when he went to Mauch Chunk for a period of four months. Mauch Chunk was seven miles from home, so he boarded there during the week, going home on Saturday and returning Monday morning by stage. At the age of twenty he felt the need of a better education. He then went to boarding-school at Line Lexington, Bucks Co., Pa., for two successive winters, each term consisting of four months. By these means he obtained a fair English education. Among the other studies which he mastered was surveying, which he put into practice soon after his return from school, and followed it closely and carefully, with considerable success, for nine years. In the mean time he was appointed by Governor Shunk as deputy surveyor for Carbon County. At this time surveyors were appointed by the Governor. Mr. Bauman was actively engaged in his profession all over the country until about the year 1850, when he was elected prothonotary for Carbon County, and served in this capacity for a full term of three years, when he was re-elected without any opposition for another term of three years, which he filled acceptably to the public and with great credit to himself. About a year later he was elected as one of the associate judges of Carbon County, and sat on the bench with Hon. Judge Barrett for a term of five years. About the year 1855 he connected himself with the firm of Bowman Brothers & Co., at Parryville, and became one of the most active members in erecting an anthracite blast-furnace at Parryville. In this firm he continued as the acting financial member until the year 1857, when the company dissolved their copartnership, and in its place was organized and incorporated the Carbon Iron …
… Company, of which Mr. Bauman was chosen president, being re-elected from year to year until the great financial panic of 1876. This company having two anthracite blast-furnaces, and part of the time three, in operation, it necessarily required all of Mr. Bauman’s time as its president in attending to its affairs, so he withdrew from the political field. About the year 1876, owing to the effects of the panic of 1873, this company was unfortunate in being forced into dissolution, since which he has lived a retired life, looking after his private affairs, giving some of his time to the procuring of iron ore for the furnaces of the Carbon Iron and Pipe Company. He has also served a term of five years as justice of the peace in the borough of Parryville. He is connected with the Carbon Metallic Paint Company; has been its secretary and treasurer for a number of years, which office he is now filling. About the year 1875, Parryville was incorporated as a borough, the citizens showing their appreciation by electing him their chief burgess, re-electing him until the year 1881, when he declined further re-election, but continued in the board of council ever since. He has also been director of the First National Bank of Lehighton since its organization in 1876. Mr. Bauman married Mary, daughter of Henry Kress, whose occupation was farming, residing near Cherryville, in Northampton County. The issue of their union was four sons and one daughter. His fourth child, Albert L., died at the early age of eighteen.
Mr. Bauman took fatherly pride in giving his children good educations, who to-day are filling positions of honor and trust. He has been a faithful worker and earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Sunday-school since 1858, having filled all of the offices of trust in those societies. Judge Bauman is a fair type of a true American citizen,—a man who has been prospered in many ways, one who enjoys the confidence of all who know him, a man whose sterling worth and integrity is worthy of example.
The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
Alfred Mathews & Austin N. Hungerford
Published in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1884
Page 759 & 760
Transcribed from the original in April 2003
Stephen E. Fritz
Web page by