Borough of Parryville
Pages 757 to 759
the borough of Parryville is situated about six miles below Mauch Chunk, and is bounded on the north and west by Franklin township, on the east and southeast by Lower Towamensing, and on the south by the Lehigh River. The first settlement at this locality was made about 1780 by Peter Frantz, and in 1781, Frederick Scheckler and Leonard Beltz had taken up land there and in the vicinity. Frantz & Scheckler soon after erected a stone grist-mill on the Poho Poco Creek, which enters the Lehigh River at this place. The property remained in their possession until 1815, at which time it passed to Jacob and Peter Stein. The mill was run by Jacob, and Peter built a large stone hotel, which is now in use for dwellings. Between the years 1836-40 the Pine Forrest Lumber Company was established and made this place headquarters. Saw-, lath-, and paling-mills were erected on the Poho Poco Creek, near the river, and the manufacture of lumber was carried on extensively. Large tracts of land were owned in the northern part of the county and in Luzerne County, from which the greater part of the logs were obtained. Daniel Parry was the president of the company, and as the settlement grew up around these mills, the place became known as Parrysville, and finally Parryville.
In 1836 the Beaver Meadow Railroad Company completed its road to the opposite side of the river, and made Parryville the terminus and shipping-point. The coal from the cars was here dumped into the canal-boats of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company. This business continued till the freshet of Jan. 7 and 8, 1841, when the wharves, trestle-works, and chutes were swept away, and also the railroad, track from Parryville to Penn Haven Junction. The railroad was not rebuilt from Mauch Chunk to Parryville, and the former place from that time became the shipping-point.
About the year 1855, Messrs. Bowman, Brother & Co. formed a copartnership, and established an anthracite blast-furnace (now known as No. 1), which was run by water-power from Poho Poco Creek until …
…about 1857. In that year the company sold their interest to a corporation under the name of the "Carbon Iron Company." The first board of directors ' was elected in August, 1857, and consisted of the following persons: William Reed, James Dinkey, Henry Bowman, Solomon Boyer, David Bowman, John Bowman, and Dennis Bauman. On the 10th of August, Dennis Bauman was elected president, and A. W. Butler secretary and treasurer.
Improvements were made and the capacity of the works increased, and it was soon demonstrated that the water-power was not sufficient to furnish the power for the blast, and steam was introduced. In the year 1864 a second furnace was erected (now known as No. 2), and in 1869 furnace No. 3 was built. In the year 1876 the property passed to the "Carbon Iron and Pipe Company (limited). A "pipe plant" was recently erected, and these works are now operated by the last-named company, the officers of which are A. A. Douglass, president; George Ruddle, secretary; and H. P. Cooper, superintendent.
The village has grown up as the result of the location of the furnace here, and now contains a population of about eight hundred, and in addition to the furnaces about one hundred dwellings, two stores, flour and feed store, two churches, one school-house (with four rooms), a hotel, and a depot of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad.
The first road that passed through this locality was the one laid out in 1747, and made in 1748, extending, from Bethlehem to Gnadenhutten. It is known through this region as the "Fire Line Road," and, ran over the hills. It was used as a military road from January, 1756, to January, 1761, when Fort Allen was garrisoned. About 1815 a wagon-road was constructed from Parryville to Lehigh Gap, along the north bank of the Lehigh River, which was much used. Many stories are related of the causes that gave to the old road the name "Fire Line," but none that are trustworthy. The application of the name dates far back in the Indian war period, between 1756 and 1761.
The circuit has been changed several times, as follows: Parryville, Weissport, and Slatington, Parryville and Lehighton. For a time, when the furnaces at this place were in full operation, Parryville became a separate station, and had a membership of from sixty to eighty. About the year 1876, on account of depression in business, the iron-works suspended their operations, the membership declined greatly, and Parryville became connected in a circuit with Slatington, Slatedale, and Maria Furnace, and is still in that circuit. The church now has a membership of thirty-two. A Sunday-school was commenced upon the organization of the church in 1858, and has been in successful operation to the present, having now, including teachers, a membership of from eighty to one hundred and fifty. The pastors who have served the church from 1858 to the present time are as follows: Revs. Jacob Sclhichter, William T. Magee, G. T. Barr, S. Powers, W. B. Durell, E. Townsend, William H. Friese, J. Lindenmuth, J. P. Miller, L. B. Brown, L. B. Hoffman, G. L. Shoffer, Josiah Bawden, William F. Sheperd, and F. Illman.
On the 4th of March, 1867, Parryville became an independent school district, and the following directors were elected in that year: Dennis Bauman, James Thomas, James Anthony, Jacob Peters, Samuel Davis, Thomas Petit. Since 1875 the directors have been as follows:
1875.—W. W. Bauman, A. T. Peiffer, George Davis, George F. Anthony, C. Rinker, J. A. Koch.
1876.—Charles Raddetz, L. F. Remely.
1877.—Robert Peters, J. L. Miller, G. W. Bauman, William Romig.
1878.—Charles Raddetz, William Blose.
1880.—H. P. Cooper, William Bamford.
1881.—Jacob Peters, G. W. Bauman, W. L. Katz.
1882.—John Pickford, Charles Saeger.
1883.—H. P. Cooper, John D. Kistler.
The borough of Parryville was incorporated by the court of Carbon County early in the year 1875, and the first election ordered to be held in February of that year.
The following are the names of those who have served as burgesses, councilmen, and justices of the peace:
1881-83.—H. P. Cooper.
1875.—A. T. Pieffer, A. R. Snyder, Charles Belford, George Davis, J. E. Beltz.
1876.—Jacob Peters, G. F. Anthony, Charles Raddetz, Harrison Wentz, A. T. Pieffer.
1877.—Jacob Peters, Stephen Snyder.
1878.—A. R. Snyder, Jacob Peters, Jonas Beltz, Charles Raddetz, William Blose.
1879.—Dennis Bauman, Harrison Wentz, J. L. Miller, William Rinker.
1880.—William Rinker, John Petit, John Strickler, Jr., Jacob Becker, John Pickford, Henry Milheim.
1881.—John Pickford, Dennis Wentz, William Blose, Jacob Petera, Dennis Bauman, Henry Milheim.
1882.—Jacob Peters, 0. J. Mantz, John Pickford, Dennis Bauman, Beden Snyder, W. D. Kutz.
1883.—Jacob Peters, Henry Sleider, James Andrews, Frank P. Boyer, Dennis Bauman, Thomas Thomas.
1875.—George F. Anthony, Daniel Wentz.
1877.—James M. Bauman.
1880.—William B. Anthony.
The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
Alfred Mathews & Austin N. Hungerford
Published in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1884
Transcribed from the original in April 2003
Stephen E. Fritz
Web page by