By Col. John Craig.

Pages 769 to 773


Page 769



Count Zinzendorf, a Moravian, came up along the Lehigh River in the year 1742, and held a treaty with the Indians at the place on which, a few years later, the mission of Gnadenhutten was established.  He named this section of country "Saint Anthony's Wilderness," and it is so laid down on Evans' map of 1749.  The name however, did not obtain among the settlers.  The term Towamensing, meaning the wilderness, or a county not inhabited, was given to all that section north of the Blue Ridge, and was known as Towamensing District.  Northampton County was erected in 1752, and at the October term of court in that year Nicholas Opplinger was appointed constable.  Michael Stowers was appointed Sept. 26, 1755;  Conrad Mehrkem, June, 1763;  Peter Strohl, 1764.


The dimensions of the district are given in a petition made to the court for its division, June 22, 1758, as being thirty-six miles in length.  This petition asked that the "Lehi" River be the division-line.  A commission to divide the district was appointed, and at the September term of court a report was made which declared the district divided as requested by the petition.  The territory west of the Lehigh was to known as Penn Township, and that east of the river to retain the name of Towamensing.  The tax of the township in 1783 was  Ł 22 9s.  Daniel Solt was the collector.  From 1768 the territory of Towamensing embraced all north and east of the Lehigh River.  Chestnut Hill was taken from Towamensing before 1783, Tobyhanna still later, and in 1836 they became a part of Monroe County, and in 1841 the lower part of it became Penn Forest, which in 1843 was attached to Carbon County.  In 1841 Towamensing was again divided, and Lower Towamensing was set off.  In 1851 Franklin was set off, since which time the territory remained the same.


The list of names here given are of those who resided within the limits of Towamensing township as it then existed, embracing Upper and Lower Towamensing, Franklin, Penn Forest, and Kidder townships;  Tobyhanna township, now of Monroe County, having been set off earlier.


The following names are of persons assessed in Towamensing Dec. 27, 1781, by the commissioners of Northampton County.  Amount of tax levied, Ł 72 1s 1d.

Martin Ainer                                   Henry Bowman                             

Frederick Boyer                               Nicholas Cowell

Michael Beltz                                  Henry Davis

Peter Bloss                                        Peter Frantz

Stophel Bock                                    Gottfried Grieswig

Nicholas Box                                   Maria Georgin       

Jacob Haus                                       Daniel Solt, Jr.

John Haan                                        Jacob Seiberling

Nicholas Kern                                 Stophel Seiberling

John Klein                                        John Smith

Melchior Klos                                  Abraham Smith

Conrad Merkum                             Michael Strohl

Leonard Ripp                                  Elizabeth Strohl

Peter Roth                                        John Wygand

Bastian Seiberd                               Michael Wetzel

John Solt, Jr.                                     John Dunn

Samuel Summy                               Daniel Strohl


Gentleman's Land, or Unseated Lands

Daniel Solt                                       Ditmer Werner

John Solt                                           Frederick Serfass

Peter Woodring                              Frederick Guildner

Frederich Streckler                        Baltzer Hosh

Jacob Alleman                                 John Bier

Stophel Buckler                               Henry Mathias

Jacob Houseknight                         Michael Holstein

Margaret Shneyderin                    Adam Fogleman

John Rudy


Single Freemen

Henry Davis                                    Jacob Mehrkem


The old families who settled in the limits of the present township have but few descendants, and it has been exceedingly difficult to obtain accurate information concerning them.  A few sketches are here given.


William Eckert, a native of Germany, came to Northampton County, south of the Blue Mountains, where he resided a few years.  Between 1781 and 1786 he removed to what is now Lower Towamensing township, and lived near where Charles Straub now resides.  In this latter year he was licensed by the court of Northampton County to keep a tavern.  He had two sons, - Adam and William.  Adam was born in 1784, lived with his father many years, and later removed to Poho Poco Creek, where he lived the remainder of his days, and died in 1868, aged ninety-four years.  He had three sons, - John, Adam, and Daniel.  Adam, son of Adam, died in November 1883, aged eighty years, leaving twelve children, of whom were Joseph, Abraham, Samuel, and David.


Daniel, son of Adam, died in 1879, and left ten children, of whom are Daniel, Joseph, Reuben, and Thomas.


William Eckert, the son of William, and brother of Adam, died many years ago, and left five sons, - John, William, Adam, Solomon, and Daniel.


The descendants of Adam and William are in this and adjoining townships.


Abraham and John Smith, of Easton, came to the township with their parents in 1781, and settled near what is now Stemlersville.  Adam later settled on land now owned by Anthony Snyder.  He died in 1853, aged eight-two years.  His sons were John,…



Page 770



…George, Charles, and Solomon.  John and George settled in the township, Charles in Penn Forest, and Solomon at Lehigh Gap.


The ancestors of the Beer family, who came to this township soon after 1781, were of English descent, and emigrated first to New Jersey.  The name of the original settler is not known.  Capt. George Beer, one of the oldest remembered, lived where his son, Reuben, now lives.  His other sons were Thomas, William, Joseph, Benjamin, Elias, and Jonas, who all live in the township.  In 1843 the following were in the township:  George Beer was in possession of 510 acres of land and a saw-mill;  John Beer, 200 acres;  Adam Beer, 150 acres;  Abraham Beer, 120 acres;  George Beer, Jr., 40 acres;  Paul Beer, 140 acres;  and Jacob Beer, 34 acres.


The following names, number of acres, and professions are taken from the assessment-roll made in 1843-44, the next year after the county was erected:

   Innkeepers - John D. Bauman, Jr., John Jarrard, Andreas Siegfried, William Walp.

   Daniel Arner, Jr., farmer, 119 acres

   Daniel Arner, carpenter

   Thomas Arner, carpenter, 62 acres, turning-machine

   Peter Andreas, farmer, 92 acres

   James Anthony, superintendent

   Daniel Ahner, cordwainer

   Joseph Albright, 212 acres

   Abraham Ahner, cordwainer

   John E. Boyer, keeper

   J. D. Bauman, Jr., farmer, 384 acres, saw-mill

   David Becker, farmer, 70 acres

   George Beer, Jr., farmer, 40 acres

   John Beer, farmer, 200 acres

   Abraham Beer, 120 acres

   Jacob Beer, 34 acres

   Adam Beer, 150 acres

   David Buch, cordwainer, 41 acres

   Peter Beltz, farmer, 311 acres

   Andreas Buck, 64 acres

   Paul Beer, 140 acres

   George Beer, farmer, 510 acres, saw-mill

   Charles Belfort, farmer, 66 acres

   John G. Boyer, for Stephen Balliet, 64 acres

   Charles Blose, farmer, 53 acres

   Henry Bauman, 300 acres

   J. D. Bauman, 93 acres improved and 40 acres at the Fire Line, 150 acres at Zerley's

   James Brown, carpenter, 38 acres

   David Bauman, merchant, 73 acres

   Blose & Reichelderfer, 212 acres

   Melchior Christman, farmer, 64 acres

   Simon Christman, farmer, 96 acres

   Joseph Christman, 135 acres

   James M. Connor, carpenter

   Christian Corby, refiner

   Daniel Dreisbach, farmer, 88 acres, clover-mill

   Peter Dreisbach, farmer, 109 acres, saw-mill

   George Derrhainer, tailor

   James Dick, lawyer

   Dreisbach & Solt, 297 acres woodland and saw-mill

   Simon Dreisbach, carpenter

   Adam Eckhart, Jr., farmer, 100 acres

   Daniel Eckhart, farmer, 70 acres

   William Eckhart, 44 acres

   John Eckhart, 400 acres

   Joseph C. Fields, sawyer

   Samuel B. Finch, superintendent

   Henry Greenzweig, 29 acres

   John D. Greenzweig, farmer, 80 acres

   Samuel Greenzweig, farmer, 70 acres

   Ashbury Gilham, collier

   Ezekiel Gilham, collier

   C. S. German, doctor

   Daniel Heberling, merchant

   Joseph Hartman, 45 acres

   Samuel Hartman, carpenter

   Jonas Halm, blacksmith

   Charles Hote, 200 acres

   John Houseknecht, tanner, 100 acres

   John and George Hote, 100 acres

   Benjamin Jarrard, miller

   Henry Kibler, 63 acres

   Jonathan Kibler, 75 acres

   Kibler & Beer, saw-mill

   Christian Krum, mason, 12 acres

   Joseph Kern, carpenter, 45 acres

   William Kern, carpenter, 141 acres

   Peter Kibler for Charles Biddle, 428 acres

   Peter Krum, mason, 20 acres

   Charles Klotz, carpenter

   John Kelchner, 30 acres

   Daniel Kemerer, clerk

   William Lilly, clerk

   James Laury, clerk

   David S. Lovett, farmer, 1394 acres and saw-mill

   William Lilly, Jr. clerk

   Godfrey Laury, clerk

   Jacob Moyer, wheelwright

   Frederick Minor, miller, grist-mill, saw-mill

   Samuel & Jesse Mills, colliers

   Robert McDaniel, carpenter

   Charles Moyer, wheelwright, 17 acres

   Jacob Oswald, carpenter

   Pine Forest Company, 230 acres, grist-mill, saw-mill

   Peter Reiner, farmer, 50 acres

   John Roth, sawyer

   Charles Roth, carpenter

   Lewis Roth, tailor

   Joseph Richter, wheelwright

   Augustus Roth, tailor

   Josiah Ruch, blacksmith

   George Ruple, wheelwright

   Francis Reed, carpenter

   George Schnell, 32 acres



Page 771



   Lewis Schnell, 28 acres

   William Schnell, 33 acres, weaver

   Simon F. Snyder, farmer, 300 acres

   Daniel Schaeffer, farmer, 102 acres

   Thomas Schaeffer, 102 acres

   Abram Smith, farmer, 98 acres

   John A. Solt, 25 acres

   Jacob Snyder, 108

   David and Reuben Solt, 49 acres

   Jacob Solt, Jr., weaver, 62 acres

   John J. Solt, farmer, 171 acres

   John Solt, farmer, 163 acres

   Daniel Solt, farmer, 203 acres

   Paul Solt, Jr., carpenter, 11 acres

   Henry Sower, collier

   Daniel Stemler, farmer, 470 acres, saw-mill, clover-mill

   David Schaeffer, carpenter, 66 acres

   Justus L. Schreiber, carpenter

   George Sponeheimer

   Smith & Caldwell, 2687 acres, furnace, forge

   William Solt, tailor, 19 acres

   Nathaniel Serfas, farmer, 130 acres

   Thomas Schwaab, farmer, 77 acres

   Matthias Geyfest, blacksmith

   John Solt, Jr., 22 acres

   Jacob Sevitz, cordwainer, 40

   Peter P. Strohl & Sons, 56 acres

   Peter Snyder, Jr., 100 acres

   John A. Schoenberger, tailor

   Thomas Solt, 33 acres

   Andreas Siegfried

   Hyman L. Stine, carpenter

   Daniel Smith, sawyer

   John Smith, farmer, 100 acres

   William Tilghman, 106 acres, non-resident

   Weiss estate, 3077 acres

   George Welch, farmer, 197 acres, saw-mill

   Daniel Welch, farmer, 120 acres

   William Walp, innkeeper

   Francis Weiss, Sr., surveyor

   Thomas Weiss, tanner

   Daniel Wentz, farmer, 84 acres

   Lewis Weiss, merchant

   Solomon Welch, 74 acres

   Francis Weiss, Jr., surveyor

   George Wagner, Jr., farmer, 140 acres

   Charles Welch, carpenter

   Edward Weiss, merchant

   John Ziegenfuss, 226 acres, saw-mill

   Simon Ziegenfuss, miller

   Thomas Ziegenfuss, 45 acres

   Jacob Ziegenfuss, 50 acres


The school privilege in this township was very meager at an early day, as no church school was within its limits.  The nearest was the John's congregation.  The township accepted the school law in 1841, at which time the school directors were James Anthony and John Solt, who were elected for three years,  William Walp two years, and John Smith and David Shiffer one year.


The following is a list of the names of the school directors of the township since the erection of Carbon County:

    1844 - Francis Weiss, Jr., Daniel Wentz, Daniel Solt, Charles Blow

    1845 - M. Christman, D. Stemler, D. Heberling

    1846 - Alex. Lentz, Adam Beer

    1847 - Thomas Stout, William Kern

    1848 - George Wagner, Joseph Christman

    1849 - Lewis Weiss, Paul Beers

    1850 - David Bowman, James Lowry

    1851 - Daniel Stemler, Adam Beer, Reuben Hawk, Samuel Greensweig

    1852 - Daniel Eckhart, Daniel Walp

    1853 - James Lowry, David Griffith

    1854 - David Stemler, James Lowry

    1855 - James Walp, David Becker

    1856 - David Griffith, J. H. Rickert

    1857 - J. J. Kemmerer, Daniel Stemler, Simon Trach

    1858 - George Beer, Adam Beer, Samuel Greensweig

    1859 - David Griffith, Edward Raber

    1860 - Paul Beer, J. J. Kemerer

    1861 - John Herman, Joel Strohl, David Christman

    1862 - George Wagner, William Schoenberger

    1863 - Solomon Stemler, David Becker

    1864 - J. J. Kemerer, Solomon Stemler

    1865 - Daniel Stemler, Amos Beer

    1866 - William Eckhardt, Joseph Christman

    1867 - Robert McDaniel, Josiah Harfle

    1868 - Peter Bock, Paul Kresge

    1869 - John Behler, David Griffith

    1870 - Solomon Stemler, John Shobold

    1871 - Paul Kresge, H. F. Greensweig

    1872 - Frank Smith, Paul Smith

    1873 - Charles Meinhard, J. K. Fetherolf

    1874 - John Pickford, William Shaffer

    1875 - Nathan Stemler, Harrison Smith

    1876 - Joel Strohl, Jonah Hasble, Solomon Stuber

    1877 - John H. Weiss, Samuel Eckhardt

    1878 - John Stedder, Frederick Beer

    1879 - Reuben Eckhardt, William Shoenberger

    1880 - Charles Schoeffer, Ebenzel Shinke

    1881 - George Haydt, Benjamin Greensweig

    1882 - Nathan Smith, August Kirchner, A. J. Christman

    1883 - Paul Kresge, Solomon Stemler



The township was originally divided into five school districts.


Stemlersville, No. 1 - A log school-house was erected by the saw-mill about 1840, which was used till 1850, when it was taken down and moved to the present school site, and there used till 1864, when the present brick house was built, at a cost of three hundred and sixty-five dollars.



Page 772



No. 2 - a district was erected, known as "Big Creek," which included the Shoenberger, Pine Run, and Kibler district.  A school-house was built near Kemerer's, and used till 1868, when the three districts mentioned were made, and this house was abandoned.


The School-house at Shoenberger's, now Lovett's, was built in 1868, and is still in use.


Kibler's - In 1868 the present school-house was built near John Eckert's.


Pine Run District was embraced from its erection in 1868 to 1875 the present districts of Upper and Lower Pine Run.  In the latter year Upper Pine Run was taken off.


The school-house of Lower Pine Run was erected in 1868, and the Upper Pine Run in 1875.


District No. 3 - known as Greensweig, was one of the original districts.  A school-house was erected on the present site, which was used till 1883, when the present building was erected.


No. 4 - This district, known as Eckert's, was established upon the acceptance of the school law, and a school-house erected near Eckert's which was in use till 1872, when the present stone building was erected.


No. 5 - At this district, known as Beer's, a building was erected and used till 1864, when an edifice which had been erected for the use of an Evangelical Church society was purchased and remodeled for school purposes, and used for the school-house till the present.


The pupils in the different districts are as follows;

Stemlersville, 60;   Schoenberger, 10;   Kibler, 25;   Lower Pine Run, 30; 

Upper Pine Run, 30;   Greensweig's, 45;   Eckert's, 40;   Beer's, 41.  Total, 281.


Justices of the Peace- The justices of the peace prior to 1840 will be found in the civil list of the county, in the districts in which the townships were assigned.  From 1845 to 1883 they have been as follows:

    David Bauman, March, 1845

    Edward Weiss, March, 1850

    George Beer, March, 1851

    George Wagner, March, 1851

    George Beer, March, 1856

    George Wagner, March, 1856

    Lynford Troch, March, 1859

    Henry Deppe, March, 1861

    Joseph M. Roberts, March, 1862

    Peter Jones, Jr., March, 1863

    W. H. Jones, March, 1865 ; March, 1866

    Paul Krisge, March, 1868

    John Behler, October, 1870

    Benjamin Beer, March, 1872 ; March, 1877

    Paul Kresge, March, 1878 ; March, 1883



Jerusalem Church - The church, the only one in Towamensing township, is located near Trochsville, was built of frame, forty by fifty feet, with a gallery on three sides, in the year 1848.  The society is union, and composed of members of the Lutheran and German Reformed Churches.   Among the pastors of the Lutheran have been Rev. Frederick W. Mendson (1848-52), E. A. Bauer, and A. M. Strauss, the present pastor.


The pastors of the German Reformed were the Rev. John Helffrich, Rev. Charles Eichenberg, after whom the pulpit was supplied for several years.  The present pastor is the Rev. Joseph H. Schlappig.


Stemlerville - About 1795, Gen. Thomas Craig purchased property embracing what is now Stemlerville.  He erected the old house that is still standing, and in 1814 removed to Lehigh Gap.  The property passed to others, among whom was one Frederick, who kept a tavern at the old house.


Daniel Stemler, of Northampton County, in 1829, purchased the property, and later purchased extensively adjoining.  Mr. Stemler at the time of his purchase was recently married, and, upon taking possession of the property, he opened the old tavern again as a public-house, which he kept till 1852, when the present brick hotel was built.  This he also kept till his death, in 1871.  It has since been kept by his son, Nathan.


An old mill, known as the Stemler Mill, is on the creek near Stemlerville, and before 1833 was in possession of Frederick Bachman.  In that year he sold it to Thomas Craig, and April 6, 1842, he sold the property to Daniel Stemler, by whose heirs it is still owned.  In 1864, Daniel Stemler erected the brick building now used as a store, and in 1866, Paul Kresge, his son-in-law, opened a store, which is still carried on.


A stage and mail route was opened about 1855 through the place, and a post-office was established, with Daniel Stemler as postmaster.  After many years William Shoenberger was appointed, and held for a few months, and Robert Laubach was appointed.  the office was returned to the Stemler Hotel, and Nathan Stemler was appointed deputy postmaster.  It so remained until December, 1866, when Paul Kresge, the present postmaster, was appointed, and the office was removed to his store.


Trochsville, called after Lynford Troch, who lived there and owned the land.  Walp's tavern-stand, a short distance from there, was a noted old tavern-stand, and when Jacob Rickert, about 1854, built the present tavern-stand at Trochsville the old Walp stand was abandoned as tavern property.  Rickert kept the tavern a few years and sold to Lynford Troch, who went to the war as captain and was killed.  The property was rented for years, and is now owned by parties in Easton, and kept by Thomas Snyder.


About 1856, Lynford Troch started a store at the place, and a post-office was established, with Troch as postmaster.  The office was after a time abandoned, and later re-established as Carbon Post-Office, which it still remains.  John Behler served as postmaster,…




Page 773



…and was succeeded by Harrison Kunkel, the present postmaster, who also keeps the hotel and store.


On the road from Trochsville to Little Gap, Peter Jones, many years ago, erected a brick house, which he opened as a hotel.  The place became known as Jonesville.  The hotel was kept for a number of years, and is now used as a dwelling.















The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,


Alfred Mathews & Austin N. Hungerford

Published in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1884


Transcribed from the original in November 2003 by

Shirley Kuntz




web page by

Jack Sterling

November 2003