Kelly's Directory of Abinghall 1894
ABINGHALL or ABENHALL, is a parish, on the road from Newnham to Mitcheldean, two-and-a-half miles south-west from Longhope station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester section of the Great Western railway and five north-west from Newnham, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, St. Briavels hundred, union of Westbury-on-Severn, Newnham county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Bristol. The church of St. Michael and All Angels is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, south aisle, south porch and a tower at the west end of the south aisle containing 3 bells; the octagonal font was given by the miners' guild in 1450: in the chancel is a brass with four effigies to Richard Pyrke, of Mitcheldean, ob. 1609. Joan (Ayleway), his wife and two children: the east window and one on the north side of the nave are stained: the church was restored and a vestry added in 1874, at a cost of £400: there are sittings for 120 persons. The register dates from the year 1596. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £110, net yearly value £145, including 26 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Ebenezer Cargill B. A., J. P. of Holbrook House, Wincanton, who is lord of the manor, and Maynard Willoughby Colchester-Wemyss esq., J. P. of Westbury Court, Westbury-on-Severn, are chief landowners. The soil is sabdy; subsoil, red sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 691 acres; rateable value, £1,433; the population in 1891 was 231.
Parish Clerk, Edwin Stiddler.
Letters received through Gloucester, via Mitcheldean R. S. O. arrive at 7 & 11.30 a.m. The nearest post, money order & telegraph office is at Mitcheldean.
School (mixed), for 50 children; average attendance, 31: & supported in part by the Barton family; Mrs. Ann Jenkins, mistress.
CARGILL Rev. Ebenezer, B. A., Rectory
HIGGINS Mrs., Ferny field
PROBYN John W., Abenhall lodge
ROBINSON John, Abenhall house
YEARSLEY Edwin Evans
GARDINER Edward, grocer & baker
GRIFFITHS John, nail maker
GRIFFITHS Thomas, nail maker
HILL George, wheelwright
ROBINSON John, solicitor
ROSERVEIR ______., farmer, Church farm
SAVIDGE Charles, farmer, Shapridge
SIMMONDS Daniel, Lamb P. H.
VAUGHAN Sidney, farmer, Folly farm
WILLIAMS Thomas, blacksmith & ironmonger
WINTLE William, haulier