NEWLAND is a pleasant village and extensive parish, comprising the tithings of Bream and Coleford, Clearwell, Newland and Lea Bailey, the latter in Ross union, bounded on the west by the river Wye, which divides the county from Monmouthshire, with a station on the Monmuth and Coleford section of the Great Western railway, 4 miles south-east from Monmouth, 2 south-west from Coleford and 127 from London, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, St. Briavels hundred, petty sessional division of Coleford, union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
The soil is gravelly and loamy; subsoil, clay, limestone and sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area of the entire parish is 7,457 acres; rateable value, £15,195; the population in 1891 was 4,237, including the town of Coleford, 2,340.
Clerk in Orders, Rev. William Bagnall-Oakeley M. A.
UPPER REDBROOK, 2 miles north-west, partly in the county of Monmouth and parish of Dixton, and LOWER REDBROOK, 2 and a quarter miles west, are hamlets. Sexton, Thomas Morgan.
POST OFFICE:- Mrs. Louisa Pearce, sub-postmistress. Letters from Coleford are delivered at 7.15 a.m. & 10 p.m. ; dispatched at 2 p.m. & 6.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph is at Redbrook. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.
POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Redbroo - David Williams, sub-postmaster. Letters from Monmouth are delivered at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 6 p.m.
The Grammar school has been removed to Coleford & 12 boys of this parish are entitled to free education there.
Parish School, Redbrook (mixed), built in 1873 & enlarged in 1877, for 130 children; average attendance, 102; Hugh Rees, master.
RAILWAY STATION:- Newland, William James Nickless, station master; Upper Redbroo, Henry Davis, station master.
BAGNALL-OAKLEY Rev. William M. A. (lecturer of Jones's almshouses), The Lecturage
BLANDY Frederick J. P., Birchamp house
BRANDON Mrs., South lodge
BRICKDALE Miss, The Dark house
DAWSON Miss, The Cottage
DIGHTON Capt. Jn. Hy. J. P., Oak house
PALMER Charles Thos. J. P., Newland house
PALMER Mrs., Newland house
SCOTT Rev. Alex Nairne M. A. (vicar)
BALDWIN Sydney, farmer, Spout farm
BEARD Edward, farmer, Coxbury farm
FERNEYHOUGH Herbert, farmer, Glynn farm
FIDO John Thomas, Ostrich P. H.
GUNTER John, farmer, Lodges farm
GUNTER William, gardener to C. T. Palmer esq J. P.
MORGAN Thomas, wheelwright
ROBINSON William, farmer, Cherry Orchard
WILLIAMS John Knight, farmer, Valley house farm
BRADSHAW Edward, The Elms
BURGHAM Oliver Arthur, brewer & malster
CHAMBERLAIN David, Bush inn
COURTEEN Thomas, Spring cottage
COURTEEN Tom Allen, miller (steam & water)
FLETCHER James, wheelwright
FOSTER Samuel, boot & shoe maker
GROVES Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
MOORE Theophilus, miller, (water)
OLDBANK Oliver F. Founder's Arms P.H.
WHEELER John, Queen's Head P.H.
WILLIAMS Wm., blacksmith & shopkeeper
BEARD James, Bell inn
HATTON Herbert, grocer & draper
REDBROOK READING ROOM (Hy. Cantle, hon. secretary)
REDBROOK TIN PLATE & IRON CO. LIM. (Alexander Taylor, manager)
TAYLOR Sarah Ann (Mrs.), King's Head P.H.