Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of
STAUNTON near Coleford, is a village and parish in Monmouth union, containing by the census of 1861, 202, and in 1871, 179 inhabitants, and 1,497 acres; in the southern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of St. Briavels, West Gloucestershire; 2 miles north-west from Coleford, 3 east from Monmouth, 9 and a half north-west from Lydney, and 13 south-west from Ross. The rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Senior, is valued at £149 per annum, with residence. The church, dedicated to All Saints, consists of nave, chancel, north, south, and centre aisles, with a tower containing six bells and a clock. It is in the Late Norman style of architecture, with Early English and Decorated additions. The exterior being covered with ivy, and the tower rising from the centre between the nave and chancel, gives it a very picturesque appearance. The most striking features are the Norman arches, the ancient stone pulpit, which had not been used for a long period until it was restored four years ago, the placina in the vestry in a very good state of preservation, and an Early English Saxon font, of which it is supposed there is only another in England, which is in Westminster Abbey. The church was thoroughly restored in 1872, at a cost of nearly £1000, Mr. Hugall, of London, being the architect. The east window is of stained glass, by Wailes, of Newcastle. On the south side of the chancel is a smaller one, which was placed there by a few friends, to the memory of the Rev. Richard Davies, for 34 years rector of the parish, and another is about being put on the north side of the chancel. There is a National School for children of both sexes. There is a charity producing about £30 a year, left by a member of the Hall family, of the Highmeadow estate, which is applied to the maintenance of three aged parishioners, in a house set apart for the purpose. The rateable value of this parish is £1582.
Clergy and Gentry
CLIFFORD Rev. John, M. A.
ENOCH William, Esq., Fern Lea cottage
FRANCIS George Edward, Esq., Buckstone cottage
PHILLIPS Sidney J., Esq., The Rectory
SENIOR Rev. John, rector
Trades and Professions
ANSLEP John, farmer, Elm farm
BARNETT Edward, carpenter and parish clerk
CARVER Jas., blacksmith, "White Horse" inn
HARRIS Samuel Eli, farmer, Staunton court
POWELL James, shoemaker and sub-postmaster
ROSSER William, farmer and cider retailer
Post Office - James Powell, sub-postmaster. Letters through Coleford delivered at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. on week days only. Coleford is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
National School - Miss Fanny Fox, mistress