Kelly's Directory of Viney Hill 1894


VINEY HILL, a scantily populated place, is 3 miles north-east from Park End station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, and 1 mile from Blakeney. All Saints, Viney Hill, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish September 18, 1866, from the township of East and West Dean, and is in the Forest of Dean division of the county, Westbury-on-Severn union and county court district, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Viney Hill is in the petty sessional division of Newnham. All Saints' Church, consecrated in 1867, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and three bays, south aisle, south porch, and a bell cot over the chancel arch containing 2 bells; there are sittings for 420 persons. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £140, including 4 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Charles Bathurst esq., of Lydney Park, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Samuel Smith, of St. Aidans. Much of the land belongs to the Crown. The population in 1891 was 1,528.

Sexton, William Turley.

Letters through Newnham arrive at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched 5.45 p.m. Blakeney is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Wall Letter Box cleared at 5.45 p.m.


National, All Saints (mixed), built, with teacher's residence, in 1850, and enlarged in 1893, for 180 children; average attendance, 134 boys and girls, and 42 infants; & supported partly by an annual grant from the Office of Woods & Forests; James H. Hudson, schoolmaster.

National, Woodside (mixed), built in 1850, for 130 children; average attendance 67; Richard Harris, master.


YORKLEY, 2 miles from Park End station, one mile from Whitecroft station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, 3 north from Lydney and 5 south-east from Coleford, is a large hamlet, partly in All Saints and partly in St. Pauls, the dwellings in which are scattered over rising ground, some parts being very steep; all the houses are detached and built in positions of grotesque irregularity; the inhabitants are chiefly employed at the coal works in the neighbourhood . The hamlet is in the petty sessional division of Coleford. There are Primitive Methodists and Baptist chapels, and a place of worship for Bible Christians.

Post Office - Mrs. Lois Brown, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Lydney at 9.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. Whitecroft is the nearest money order office & Whitecroft railway station the nearest telegraph office. Wall letter box, Yorkley Slade, dispatched at 5 p.m.



SMITH Rev. Edwd. Saml., Vicarage

COOK George, fish dealer

FLETCHER William, grocer & baker

HYETT Reuban, shopkeeper

JAMES Charles, beer retailer

STANLEY Ernest, Albion P. H.

THOMAS George, grocer

YOUNG Daniel, carpenter



BROMLEY Rev. George (Primitive Methodist), Pillowell

ELSOM Rev. Sidney (Baptist), Forest villa

JONES Rev. Evan (curate of St. Paul's)



BRAIN William, shopkeeper

CHIVERS Josiah, butcher

DAINTON John, grocer

FENNELL Frederic, shopkeeper

FLETCHER William, farmer

GILMOUR Andrew, farmer, Yorkley cr

HATTON John, beer retailer

HENDERSON William, woodman, Cockshoot lodge

HIRST Charles, grocer, draper, outfitter & corn merchant, Pillowell

JAMES Alvan, shoe maker & news agent

JAMES Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer

JAMES James, carpenter

JOHNSON BROS., grocers & drapers

JONES Edith (Mrs.), beer retailer

JONES Sarah (Mrs.), beer retailer

JONES William Henry, Stag inn

JOYNES John, colliery manager, Oakenhill house

MORRIS William, Crown eeper, Danby lodge

MORSE Arthur, carpenter & shopkeeper

MORSE Isaac, haulier


PREECE Henry, grocer &c

PRICE Josiah, shopkeeper

PRICE William, grocer & draper

SMITH James, boot maker

VICARY William, baker, cake maker & flour dealer

WATKINS Joseph, shoe maker

WINTLE Robert, beer retailer

WORGAN Tom Forester, grocer & draper

WORGAN William, beer retailer