The Mansfield Savings Bank

The Mansfield Savings Bank & Trust Co. Almanac, 1923


Brief History of Mansfield ... The Mansfield Press


Source:  Mansfield Savings Bank & Trust Co. Almanac, 1923, pp. 44-45


The first paper published in Mansfield was established in 1818 by John C. GILKINSON, the pioneer printer of the town, whose son Mansfield H. GILKINSON, was the first white child born in Mansfield.The name of this paper was "The Olive", and it was only published about a year.

The next paper was called "The Mansfield Gazette" and was established in August, 1822, by James PURDY, who was a leading lawyer and banker, and who was active in the business life of the city for many years. 

In 1830, Josiah L. REED, started a Democratic paper called "The Western Herald", which he conducted for a year or two and then disposed of the plant. 

In 1832, Thomas W. BARTLEY, Dr. RENTZEL and J.C. GILKINSON formed a partnership and bought out both the Gazette and Herald, and commenced the publication of "The Ohio Spectator". The plant was soon sold to Henry SEYMOUR, and then by SEYMOUR to J.H. HOFFMAN, who with RENTZEL conducted it to the close of the first volume, when it failed. 

In 1832 another paper was started in Mansfield called "The Richland Whig". Its publishers were John and Charles BORELAND. But the Whig, like the Spectator, lasted only a year. In 1836 the Spectator outfit was purchased by John MEREDITH and John WARNOCK, who continued it as a Democratic paper under the name of "The Ohio Shield". Upon WARNOCK's retirement from the paper the name was changed to "The Shield and Banner" under the firm name of MEREDITH & MAXWELL, who in 1841 sold the plant to John Y. GLESSNER, and the paper remained under Mr. GLESSNER's ownership and control until his death in 18?2, after which it was sold to the Hon. C.N. GAUMER, who enlarged its capacity in many ways and in a few years started "The Daily Shield", in connection with the weekly edition.

Mr. GAUMER ran the paper successfully for many years and then sold the plant to The Shield Publishing Co., who in turn, sold out about three years ago to The News Printing Co., with which publication the Shield was joined. In 1883 a Whig paper was started by MORAINE & DEVINE called "The Richland Jeffersonian", which they conducted for one year and then sold out to Mathias DAY, Jr., and E.W. SMITH. DAY & SMITH changed the name of the paper to "The Mansfield Herald". 

In 1852 Mr. DAY purchased Mr. SMITH's interest and continued the publication of the paper. In 1855, owing to the illness of Mr. DAY, he disposed of his interests in the paper to Gen. Roeliff BRINKERHOFF, James G. ROBINSON and David LOCKE, of Plymouth -- better known as "Petroleum V. NASBY". In 1859 these owners sold out to the MYERS Brothers, who successfully conducted the business for 15 years and then sold out to George U. HARN & Brother, who conducted the paper for about 10 years and then went into dissolution. Many of these early papers had to say the least a transient existence. 

In 1844, WILEY & TIDBALL started a paper called "The Morning Pennant". It waved but a fleeting six months. In the same year a Whig campaign paper was published by William JOHNSTON, called "The Richland Bugle and Independent Press". William JOHNSTON was a genius, a scholarly man and an orator. He was elected to Congress later as a Democrat and died soon after the expiration of his term. 

In 1852, the Rev. Edward SMITH, a noted Wesleyan Methodist minister, came to Mansfield and established the Western Branch Book Concern. Mr. McCUNE, his son-in-law, was a practical printer and started the Christian Statesman, a weekly organ of the Wesleyan denomination. The Christian Statesman was an anti-slavery paper. The plant was first located in the brick building still standing on the west side of Main Street, between First and Second streets, and was later moved to the second story of the Herald office on East Fourth Street, immediately to the rear of the present TAWSE Drug Store. Mr. SMITH died in a few months, and the paper was suspended. 

The Ohio Liberal was started in 1873 by General Roeliff BRINKERHOFF, with the late A.J. BAUGHMAN, as field man or reporter. In 1877, the paper was sold to Henry FOULK, after a very successful career. Henry FOULK and his brother Charles FOULK conducted the paper for eight or ten years and then sold out to Hon. William S. CAPELLER, who consolidated it with The Mansfield News. 

The Mansfield Courier was established in 1872 by August SELBACK, who conducted it for a short time, after which it passed into the hands of John B. NETSCHER, who in January, 1874, sold the plant to KILLIAN & KUEBLER. Mr. KILLIAN died within a year or two, after which his interest was sold to Albert WOLFE. Later Mr. Louis KUEBLER bought Mr. WOLFE's interest and became sole proprietor. Mr. KUEBLER published this first German newspaper for many years, and was a power in the community. He served his County as Representative in the Ohio Legislature and died while holding this office. The KUEBLER interests were sold to The Courier Publishing Company, Messrs. HEGNAUER, ARRAS and PEARL, who are still conducting the paper in a most satisfactory and profitable manner. 

In June, 1876, the first Sunday newspaper made its appearance in Mansfield, called "The Sunday Morning Call" a seven column folio. It was established by A.J. BAUGHMAN and his sister, Miss Sade BAUGHMAN. In 1884, after a successful run of eight years, The Call was changed to the Mansfield Democrat, a six column quarto. The Democrat was continued for several years, but owing to the appointment of his sister to a clerkship in the treasury department at Washington, the paper was discontinued. 

The Morning Call was started in August, 1895, by Charles Grant MILLER, a most gifted writer and well known later in newspaper affairs in the nation. The paper was bright and newsy, but for want of proper and deserved support, it lasted but a few months. 

In 1865 the Hon. William CAPPELLER came to Mansfield from Cincinnati and started The Mansfield Daily News, the first permanent daily paper published in Mansfield. Later he purchased the Ohio Liberal, consolidated the plants and discontinued the Liberal. The News has grown with the years, owns its own building, and has complete and up-to-date equipment. It is recognized as one of the very best daily papers in Ohio. At Mr. CAPPELLER's death a stock company was formed and the paper is now owned by the JENKINS estate and the Messrs. HOILE of Lorain.