Nathan Wright Pension Statement

Nathan Wright's ~ Pension Statement

Summary (Bookmarks)

Age 72~1832

Born in Lunenburg, VA


March South
Savannah, GA

Col. Parker Killed

Prisoner Escapes

Captured Again

Escaped Again

Enlisted Again


Return to Mecklenburg

Moved to Georgia

Transcribed by Fred Wright

Revolutionary Pension Statements


Revolutionary Timeline

Lineage of the 14th VA

Isaac Marshall's War Record

Map Links
Colonial America
South Carolina (1779)
Georgia, Florida (1781)

North Carolina (1779)

State of Georgia

On the 23d day of October 1832 personally appeared in open court Lincoln County before William H. Crawford the presiding judge thereof being the Superior Court of the said county and state now sitting, Nathan Wright a resident of said county of Lincoln, aged seventy two years of age the seventh day of November next according to the register kept of the family record and accounts from the older children from whom he derived his 'birth record'.  Born in the county of Lunenburg, state of Virginia, who being first duly sworn according to law, Nathan by oath makes the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed the 7th of June 1832.  That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated.  A call was made for a quota of the Militia in the county of Mecklinburg VA for a three months tour of duty.  In this call out, George Stovall was drafted.  Soon after, another call was made on the Militia for eighteen months anew and according to the recollection of deponent, a squad of 12 to 20, the exact number he don't recollect, furnished a man and those who had him drafted for a three month tour, not being called out, had the opportunity of enlisting for eighteen months, thereby clearing the squad to which they were attached and this was done previous to his marching.  Deponent substituted in the place of said George Stovall, and immediately was ordered to meet the recruits at Mecklinburg Court House VA.  And from there marched under charge of Sgt. Moody Burt with the other recruits to Petersburg in VA where he joined with the Armys within a few days.  

While on evening parade, a Colonel Parker turned out and called on the Army for volunteers to march immediately to the south who soon formed a regiment which was commanded by Col. Parker.  Deponent having himself volunteered and was attached to a company under Benjamin Toliver.  Col. Parker's regiment and the regiment immediately took up the line of march from Petersburg VA by Hillsboro and Salisbury NC, Camden and the Ridge So. Carolina to Augusta Georgia.  Soon after, the regiment again moved down to Buckhead Spirit Creek and on to the Ogechee quieting the disaffected and checking the fears from the indians.  Remaining but a short time at either place and again retraced to Augusta, remaining but a short time there.  Again, marched to Spirit Creek where the regiment remained a few weeks and moved to Buckhead again and on to Ogechee and from there marched to Savannah which was at that time in the possession of the British and united with other troops.  He believes Gen'l Lincoln was in command beseiging the place in all which deponent was continually with the regiment and was in the attack made on the breastworks at Savannah which terminated unsuccessfully to the American troops and they withdrew.  Parker's regiment returned to Augusta where they remained a considerable time, much of the winter.  Sometime in February after the siege of Savannah, Parker's regiment was ordered to march to Charleston SC deponent with them, where they remained as deponent now believes until last of April or the first of May.  The British made an attack on the city and took possession thereof.  In that attack Col. Parker was killed in the 'Half Moon Battery'.  Deponent with others made prisoners.  In this detention he remained until the 28th of June at night, when an opportunity offered and deponent with one William Esspe (?) deserted from the British and made their way through South Carolina to Orangeburg. Near that place they were retaken by the British.  In that deplorable situation measures were made to take them immediately off to Charleston and from there on board a prison ship.  While under these threats, an officer of the British Army who was in command, made overtures to deponent and Esspe to enlist for six months with the British Army in which time difficulties would be over and a Sgt. Hawkins, who was one of Parker's regiment 'had enlisted' and made an opportunity to recommend that course with deponent and Esspe which they done with a belief and the recommendation of the Sergeant they could have an opportunity the sooner to desert and go home.  They were taken from Orangeburg to Augusta which was then in possession of the British.  No opportunity to escape having afforded they remained for some time until taken down the Savannah river to guard boats which were bringing goods and etc. for the use of the troops.  When near to Golphinton an opportunity offered and deponent with two other soldiers, Marshall and Taylor, deserted again and made their way to a detachment of American troops under the command of Major James Jackson near to Savannah river on the South Carolina side between Golphinton and Augusta. The dangers of traveling were so great we were recommended and determined to continue until a better opportunity offered of getting back to Virginia in a short time. Thereafter deponent availed himself of enlisting as a volunteer in Colonel Hammond's regiment in Capt Wm. Johnston's company Maj. Perdee's  battalion in the detachment.  He remained sometime, was at the siege of Augusta, was at the storming of Greason's Fort, from thence marching to various points and routes in South Carolina and eventually reached Cambridge So. Carolina and there met Gen'l. Greene in command, who gave deponent a discharge, altho he continued at the seige of Ninety Six until it was raided, as the discharge was intended for deponents protection travelling home when an opportunity might offer to return home.  Soon after this, Colonel Hammond's regiment marched through the upper part of South Carolina by Gen'l Pickens and on Sandy River he left the detachment being the safest route for a return.  He started from there and arrived safe in Mecklenburg in Virginia and was absent from the time he went into service until he returned home a period of two years.  Soon after this, deponent married, removed to Georgia and has resided in that part of Georgia, Wilkes and Lincoln counties upwards of forty years.  Deponent further swears that he has no documentary testimony to prove his service, his discharge from Gen'l Greene he has long since lost.  He is a very poor scholar, not capable of keeping accounts, consequently at a loss about dates which he could not keep for he is able to set them out correctly.  Nor is he able to prove his actual service by any living witness which he can procure the testimony of at this time. He will be able to prove by standing as a revolutionary character, his standing in society, and the reasonableness of his claim by John Guice and Reverend John H. Walker and John Crofson, all revolutionary soldiers, all of whom will state their knowledge of deponent.  Deponent never received a pension nor was his name on the pension list roll of any agency in any state and he hereby relinquishes all but the present.  

Sworn to: 23 October 1832

Signed Nathan Wright X His mark


Shared with me by Fred Wright



Click to Visit Texas Families