Van Ness Mailing List
We are researching the Allen Evans family of Franklin and Lauderdale Counties in Alabama. Allen is listed in 1830 and 1840 census in Franklin County, AL and in 1850 (as Allen Ivins) in Lauderdale County, AL. I beleive that one of Allen's children was Mary Ann, who had a son George Henry Clay Van Ness b. 1839, Florence, AL.
1830 Franklin County, AL:
Allen Evans p27. 1 male under 5; 1 male 5-10; 1 male 10-15; 1 male 40-50; 2 females 5-10; 2 females l0-l5; 1 female 30-40;
1840 Frankin County, AL :
Allen Evans p.20. 1 male under 5; 1 male 5-10; 1 male 10-15; 1 male 20-30; 1 male 50-60; 1 female under 5; 1 female 5-10; 1 female 10-15; 1 female 15-20; 1 female 20-30; 1 female 40-50
1850 Lauderdale County Census:
Based upon the above information and the locations and ages of other Evans in Lauderdale County marriage records and later census records, I have put together this list of children of Allen Evans. None of these connections have been proven and I have not found Allen and his family(from 1850 census) in the 1860 census in Lauderdale county or anywhere else. I have done extensive searching for them in the 1860 census.
Descendants of Allen Evans
Generation No. 1
1. ALLEN1 EVANS was born Abt. 1782 in Virginia. He married FANNY. She was born Abt. 1800 in Kentucky.
Children of ALLEN EVANS and FANNY are:
2. i. MADISON2 EVANS, b. Abt. 1818, Mississippi; d. Florence, AL.
ii. MARY ANN EVANS, b. Abt. 1814, Kentucky; m. G P VAN NESS.
iii. ADALINE EVANS, b. Abt. 1828, Kentucky.
iv. STEPHEN EVANS, b. Abt. 1827, alabama.
v. MARISSA EVANS, b. Abt. 1837, alabama.
vi. GEORGE EVANS, b. Abt. 1828, alabama.
3. vii. NANCY EVANS, b. Abt. 1815, South Carolina.
4. viii. JANE EVANS, b. Abt. 1821, Tennessee; d. Bet. 1850 - 1860, Arkansas.
Generation No. 2
2. MADISON2 EVANS (ALLEN1) was born Abt. 1818 in Mississippi, and died in Florence, AL. He married SALLY STEPP 13 May 1839 in Tishomingo County, MS.
Children of MADISON EVANS and SALLY STEPP are:
i. ALLEN3 EVANS, b. 1844, Mississippi; d. Sep 1902, Waterloo, Alabama; m. ELIZABETH J. LITTLE, Bet. 1862 - 1863.
ii. PUSS EVANS, b. 1842.
3. NANCY2 EVANS (ALLEN1) was born Abt. 1815 in South Carolina. She married ISAIAH PETTY 01 May 1839 in Lauderdale County, Alabama. He was born Abt. 1810 in North Carolina.
Children of NANCY EVANS and ISAIAH PETTY are:
i. ELIZABETH3 PETTY, b. 1840, alabama; m. JOHN BALLARD; b. Abt. 1845.
ii. REBECCA PETTY, b. 1842, alabama.
iii. SAMUEL PETTY, b. 1843, alabama.
iv. MILLY PETTY, b. 1845, Mississippi.
v. MARTHA PETTY, b. 1848, Tennessee.
vi. JAMES PETTY, b. 1850, Tennessee.
4. JANE2 EVANS (ALLEN1) was born Abt. 1821 in Tennessee, and died Bet. 1850 - 1860 in Arkansas. She married THOMAS BAUGHER. He was born Abt. 1821 in alabama.
Children of JANE EVANS and THOMAS BAUGHER are:
i. MARY A.3 BAUGHER, b. 1848, Arkansas; d. Bef. 1860, Arkansas.
ii. WILLIAM BAUGHER, b. 1845, Arkansas.
iii. GEORGE BAUGHER, b. 1850, Arkansas; d. Bef. 1860.