Welcome to the Chase / Chace Surname
This project started with members of the CHASE-L@rootsweb.com group. E-mail discussions of the group often centered on which of the early Chase settlers a member descended from. Using standard genealogical research techniques, some individuals had been able to trace their family line for a dozen or more generations back to one of the three documented first Chase settlers in America. Others were not so fortunate, and could identify their ancestry for only a few generations, and thus were unable to know if their ancestry was linked to any of these first three Chase settlers, or to other Chase immigrants who arrived in American in later years.
The three earliest Chase immigrants in American were:
· William Chase -- Emigrated
· Aquila Chase and Thomas Chase – brothers, who
show up in the records of
The use of dna testing of current Chase/Chace individuals to identify genetic patterns was suggested as a way to help approach several questions that had been raised:
1. Are William and Aquila/Thomas related by a “recent” common ancestor? Some unsubstantiated genealogies have suggested that they might even be brothers.
2. Are Aquila and Thomas actually brothers? Our assumption that they are is based only on
a comment in the
4. Can the results of a test can help those Chase descendants who are unable to trace their family line back more than a few generations focus their genealogy research in the right areas by comparing their dna with known William or Aquila descendants?
We have had positive results
with respect to questions 1. and 4. The results of dna
tests on current proven William and
With respect to questions 2. and 3., we have to date been unable to identify a known Thomas descendant, nor a documented descendant of the Chesham Chase line for testing.
The Chase / Chace dna project has used FamilyTreeDNA for tests. Male Chase/Chace surname individuals who are interested in participating in our project may contact the Project Administrator, Dick Chase, email: email@example.com for further information.