"Born near Frederickton, N.B., Jan 11, 1846; married Maria E., daughter of Robert and Mary (Taylor) Franklin, Fe. 28, 1868, and lived near Eel River, Lower Woodstock, twenty years; moved to Atkins, Minn., May 1888."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Page 162.
James Couture's electronic database on Ancestry.com contains the following detail on this family:
"Information from Christine Chute of Salem, Oregan, a paper written by Harold E. Chute, Jr. Old family Bible entry: Laughlin Isadore, son of Daniel and Elisa Rebecca (Ranor) Chute was born in Fredericton, New Brunswick, January 11, 1846.
A certified copy of a "Declaration of Intention to become a U.S. Citizen" states: USA District Court, State of Minnesota, County of Aitkin. Isadore Chute personally appeared before the subscriber, clerk of District Court of 11th Judicial District for said state of Minn, being a court of record, and made oath that he was born in Houlton, Maine on and about the year 1845 and became a British subject, that he emigrated to the US and landed at the Port of Vanceboro, Maine on or about the month of April in the year 1883; that it is bona fide his intention to become a citizen of the US, and to renounce forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty whatever, and particulary to the Queen of Great Britain whereof he is a subject. Subscribed and sworn to this 27th day of December A.D. 1886, affixed with the seal of the 11th Judicial District of the State of Minn and signed by Frank E. Seavey, Clerk of Court, Aitkin County.
Baptized by Rev. George R. Campbell in 1868, Lower Woodstock Baptist Church.
They lived near Eel River, Lower Woodstock for about 20 years. Laughlin Isdore (called I. Chute) left New Brunswick 3 Apr 1883 for Aitkin, Minn. He homesteaded 160 acres of land about 10 miles north of Aitkin, the legal description of the said land being w 1/2 of the N.E. 1/4 of section 10 in township 48 and range 26. His eldest son, Delbert, joined him in 1885. The rest of the family came from New Brunswick to join him 17 May 1889. Main occuption: lumberman. Summers were spent clearing land which was put into crops. Besides the 160 acres homesteaded, he held under contract for deed another 360 acres of land either adjoining the homestead or nearby. He had 80 head of cattle, 2 horses, and 3 hogs. According to his will his property was worth $1100. He was the first to be buried after this land became known as the Chute Cemetery. Later it became the Morrison Cemetery, in Morrison Twp. Sometime in the 1970's it was renamed the Morrison Riverside Cemetery.
Letter from Effie Chute: Laughlin was a contributor if not an instigator of the church building project on the cemetery land. Ruby Chute Helseth said her grtandfather Congdon did much of the carpenter work on the church so it might have been a community project. During the 1920's and 30's, the pulpit was filled by the minister from the Aitkin Methodist Church. Eventually, church services stopped and the building was sold and removed from the cemetery land, proceeds from the sale went to the Aitkin Methodist Church. The church relinquished any jurisdiction they had on the cemetery and a community cemetery board was formed to maintain the cemetery."
Regarding Maria Elsie Franklin Chute: "She suffered a stoke many years before her death and was paralyzed on her right side. She walked with the aid of a crutch and taught herself to write with her left hand so she could keep up her correspondence with friends and family in New Brunswick and Maine. She died at her home one month short of her 85th birthday. Buried along side her husband. The I. Chute farm was also officially Waldeck, Minn. at one time. At one time the Waldeck U.S. post office was located in the house. Louise May Chute was postmistress. In the late 1920's Waldeck post office was closed and Waldeck ceased to exist. Until the 1950's there was a Methodist church on the cemetery grounds that I. Chute helped build."
This may explain why some burial records have family members in a Chute Family Cemetery, while later ones have them in the Methodist Evergreen Cemetery. They are the same cemetery, recorded at different times.
From William Edward Chute: "Samuel, another brother, born in Cornwallis, Dec. 28, 1818; married Ruth Ann, daughter of Adam and Sally (Todd) Crane, by Rev. Mr. Busby, March 6, 1843, in York County, N.B., and lived in Haynesville; farmers, kind, good natured, old fashioned Christians. Mr. Chute cut his right knee badly, December 19, 1867, was laid up seven months, and lame ever after. His brother, Thomas H., visited them from Cornwallis in June 1874, and Mr. and Mrs. Chute, with the baby, returned the visit in September, and came home partly on the new railroad, then building up the Keswick River. Mrs. Chute died Aug. 24, 1883, aged 59."Source: A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources
The "baby" referred to in here would have been their last, David Handley Chute. The railroad which was being built was known, at the time of their trip in 1874, as the New Brunswick Land and Railway Company, although it had originally been referred to as the Gibson Railway Line. Only in 1881 would it become the New Brunswick Railway Company:
"The New Brunswick Railway (NBR) was a historic Canadian railway operating throughout the western half of the province of New Brunswick. Its headquarters were in Woodstock. New Brunswick industrialist Alexander Gibson commissioned a survey in 1866 for a railway line extending from his mill facilities at the junction between the Nashwaak and Saint John Rivers opposite Fredericton north to Edmundston to service timber lands which he owned. A charter for the railway was received from the provincial government in 1870 and the New Brunswick Land and Railway Company was formed. Part of the charter provided for additional timber acreage based upon construction performance, thereby making Gibson one of the largest landowners in the province. In 1881, the company name was changed to the New Brunswick Railway Company. The route was envisioned to eventually extend further north along the Temiscouata River to the St. Lawrence River at Riviere-du-Loup, however the company never built beyond Edmundston, leaving this connection to be completed by the Temiscouata Railway. The system was initially built to narrow gauge, however this was changed to standard gauge in the 1880s."
Jane McGregor was the widow of Perry M. Whitcomb, who died 4-5-1881 aged 47; they had five children.
|Photos of Samuel Randall Randall Chute courtesy of Nancy A. Jones. The professional portrait on the far left contains the photographer's logo (not shown) in "Natick, Massachusetts". It is not known if Samuel was visiting there when he had his portrait taken, or whether he lived in Natick.|
WEC indicates that their son George Handley Rudolph "died in childhood", but he appears as a young man of about thirteen or fourteen in a photograph with the family of Alice Jane Chute Heath (photo, far right, standing). He did not die in early childhood.
"Born Dec. 26, 1820; married Alice, daughter of Joseph Spicer, Oct. 21, 1846; and lives on his father's old farm, near Harborville."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Page 101.