"Live in Bridgeton on the west side of Long Pond."
"Daniel, another brother, born in Windham, Feb. 10, 1797, married Bathsheba, daughter of William Mayberry, Jr., Apr 21, 1816; was a farmer in Otisfield; he was one in Captain Kilburn's company of militia in the American War; he died Apr 28, 1846; she died Oct. 14, 1859, aged sixty-five."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Pages 81-82.
"The diary of Mary P. Knight has this entry: Apr 28, 1846, Daniel Chute hung himself with a rope in his barn. He got up at 5 in the morning and did it before anybody was up. He was 40 and left a wife and nine children. He was a good husband and a hardworking man." He lived at the top of Green Hill where his son Edwin since lived, and owned 50 acres (probably half of lot 133)." (History of Otisfield)
Note: The "American War" would have been the War of 1812; if there's anyone in the family who loves researching military history, this ought to give you a work-out: there is a record of a Daniel Chute in the War of 1812 online records, but the service record reads:Name: DANIEL CHUTE
This might be another "Daniel Chute" altogether, or Daniel Merrill enrolled in, or was assigned to, a regiment in Massachusetts. And without Induction and Discharge dates, it's difficult to know which battles, if any, he faced. Daniel Merrill would have been very young in this time period, a mere 15 years old; you almost wonder if perhaps the emotional effects of facing war at that young age might have contributed to his decision to take his own life later on.
WEC: "Lived near Bolster's mills. Moved from Gorham to Otisfield in 1855."
History of Otisfield: "He lived on the Dennis Lovell place south of Bolster's Mills, (Lot 132) since owned by Prentiss Fogg and others. Joseph Abbott came from Gorham and their first two children were born there." (p. 313)
"Lived in Falmouth and Portland."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894, page 82.
"Born in Windham, Aug. 12, 1801; married Mary Ann Hoyt7 (Phineas6, Enoch5, John4, William3, John2, John1 and Frances of Salisbury, 1638; died 1687), Oct. 4, 1830, and lived near Naples; a farmer. He was captain of militia and also the light infantry in Otisfield, 1835 to 1850 and was highly respected. In his latter years he became dull of hearing; died July 30, 1884; his widow died 1889, aged seventy-eight."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Page 82-83.
Extract from the Portland Sunday Herald, March 7, 1926
One hundred years ago the original Chute Homestead was erected in the town of Naples on the site of the present widely known house. The original home was burned in 1863 and was rebuilt the same year by Captain James Chute. This is the identical house which stands on the site today and which is now being operated as a summer hotel.
James Chute, who built the house, was born Aug. 12, 1801, and was a captain of militia and also of the light infantry in Otisfield from 1835 to 1850, the town of Naples then being a part of Otisfield. He died on June 30, 1884.
The founder of the Chute Homestead came from Windham with his mother, his father having previous died, and the farm was bought of Oliver Pierce of Otisfield, the only reservation in the deed being for a public highway through the property when needed.
His father was Warren B. Chute, who was one of the best known men in Cumberland County. He first drove a stage between Bridgton and Portland , via Naples, South Casco, Raymond and North Windham, over the present route of the Theodore Roosevelt International Highway, then later, after the Mountain Division of the Main Central was built, drove the mail stage from Naples to Mattocks Station. He was a deputy sheriff under both Sheriffs Pennell and Moulton.
The old Homestead was converted into a summer hotel by its present owner, James C. Chute, in 1910, who started in a small way keeping summer boarders during his annual vacation while employed in a large department store at New Rochelle, N.Y. He started with the homestead and two tents, but so successful has the enterprise proven to be that he now has 10 cottages and 15 tents. Several of the cottages are so large that they have many rooms. The main homestead has also been greatly enlarged.
The Chute Homestead is situated on the Naples and Harrison road on the east side of Long Lake, a mile and a half from Naples Village. It occupies a beautiful location facing Long Lake and the White Mountains with a superb view of Mr. Washington in the background.
The Chute family has a distinguished record. Lionel Chute was born in England in 1580 and came to America in 1634. He was a direct descendant of Alexander Chute, who was born in 1268. The ancestor od the present Chute branch was Thomas, who was born in 1690 and who died in 1771 and who was the first settler of the town of Windham, where he established himself in 1737."
WEC: "Was in Company I, 10th Maine in the war, suffered from sunstroke, fever, a prisoner in rebeldom, but died at home June 29, 1863."
Notes on the 10th Maine: Tenth Regiment Infantry
"This regiment was organized at Cape Elizabeth, Me, Oct. 4th, 1861, to serve two and three years. Companies D, C, E, F, G, H, I and K were mustered into the United States service Oct. 4th, 1861, to serve two years from May 3d, 1861, and companies A and D to serve three years from Oct. 4th, 1861.
The regiment left Portland on the 6th and arrived at Baltimore Md., on the 9th, where they remained encamped at "Patterson Park" until the 4th of Nov. On that day they moved to the Relay House, Md., and guarded the Washington branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad until the 27th of Feb., 1862. Subsequently they guarded and protected the branch of the same road leading to Harpers Ferry, and as far as Martinsburg, Va.
On the 24th of May, the entire regiment was concentrated at Winchester, Va., and on the following day joined in the retreat of General Banks' forces to Williamsport, Md. Their casualties during the retreat were as follows: 3 killed, 5 wounded, and 82 taken prisoners.
While at Williamsport, the regiment was assigned to the 1st Brigade, 1st Division of Banks' corps. On May 28th, they made a reconnaissance towards Martinsburg, returning to Williamsport on the same day. On the 31st, they advanced towards Winchester, thence towards Front Royal, which place they occupied on the 22d of June. They participated in the reconnaissance to Luray Court House, Virginia, on the 29th of June, returning to Front Royal on the 30th, and there remained until the 6th of July. On that day they proceeded towards Culpepper Court House, and on the 9th of August, participated in the battle of Cedar Mountain, Va., in which their casualties were as follows: officers killed, 3; wounded, 3; enlisted men killed, 27; wounded, 136, and 1 officer and 3 enlisted men taken prisoners.
After the battle of Cedar Mountain, they returned to Culpepper, and on the 19th of August, retreated to Rappahannock Station, thence towards Washington, participating in all the movements of Gen. Pope's forces, though not actively engaged in any of the battles which took place during the retreat, General Banks' Corps being held in reserve. On the 17th of Sept., they participated in the battle of Antietam, losing 20 killed and 48 wounded. On the 19th of Sept., they moved to Maryland Heights, opposite Harpers Ferry, thence on the 3d of Oct., to Berlin, Md., where they remained doing picket and fatigue duty. On the 10th of Dec., with their Corps (the 12th), they proceeded to Fairfax Station, thence, on the 22d of Jan., 1863, to Stafford Court House, Va., where they remained encamped until the 28th of April, when, their two years term of service having expired, they were ordered to Maine, and mustered out at Portland on the 7th and 8th of May, by Capt. Thomas C. J. Bailey, 17th U.S. Infantry. The three years men were detached from the regiment on the 26th of April, organized into a Battalion of three companies, and assigned to duty as Head Quarters Guards, 12th Army Corps."
Maine Regiments in the Civil War: Gathered from the Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Maine, For the Year Ending December 31, 1866.
"Born Aug. 12, 1803; married Mary, daughter of Benjamin Webber, Dec.10, 1883, Sweden, Me. They lived in Naples until Dec. 1836, moved then to Otisfield, near the foot of Saturday Pond, 1838, and was captain of militia then until 1842. He was town treasurer 1844 to 1846, and was cashier of Casco Bank, Portland for a while. He moved back to Sweden December 31, 1840, and died Aug. 15, 1871."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Pages 83.
"Born in Windham, Me., Jan. 7, 1797, married Catherine, daughter of Thomas and Esther (Turner) Weston, Feb. 11, 1829, and was an honest, pious, business man in Naples. His brother, John Jr., sold him a lot of land in Naples, Oct. 3, 1826; he was paymaster of the 2nd regiment, 1st brigade, 5th division of the militia of the state, Aug. 10, 1827. He was the first postmaster at Naples, then South Otisfield, May 15,1828. The town of Naples was organized from Otisfield, Casco, Bridgeton and Harrison in 1834, and Mr. Chute was town clerk 1834, 1835, 1841, 1844, 1845. He bought land in Naples of his uncle, Jonathan Andrew, July 24, 1835; boupht more of Enoch Gammon, Nov. 8, 1836. The Congregational church was organized there 1834, and Mr. Chute was society clerk, and his brother-in-law, Nathan Church, was collector and treasurer. Mr. Chute was made a member of the missionary society, July 19, 1852. The Cumberland and Oxford canal from Portland up the Presumpscot River to Sebago Lake, twenty miles long, with twenty-seven locks, costing $206,000, was built 1828 to 1830, and closed about 1870. A. W. Chute was treasurer and paymaster part of the time while it was building. William C. Chute and sons, James, Newell and Franklin, boated on that canal and through the ponds and rivers attached. Mrs. Chute died Oct. 24, 1832, aged thirty; he married 2nd, Margaret Weston, a sister, Jan. 3, 1843, and died Oct. 29, 1874, she died Dec. 4, 1886, aged about eighty."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Pages 83-84.
"Born in Clements, Annapolis, Co., N. S., Oct. 14, 1796; married Susan Chute, his father's cousin, by Rev. Enoch Towner, Jan. 29, 1820, and lived in Clements, about eight miles from Digby. He was a farmer, backsmith, fisherman, and a good, pious deacon in the Baptist church; died of asthma June 27, 1859; his widow, a good, Christian woman, died Sept. 13, 1880, aged eighty-one."
Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Pages 85-86.