Chute Family Notes: Notes 40-647 through 40-656

Note    N647          Index
Notes on James Ireland and Angelina L. Chute Ireland:

According to WEC: "They went to Minnesota also, and followed farming; he died there Nov. 9, 1875, aged 33 years 8 months. And since that time she has lived in Ontario, at Strathroy and other places, five years; Harrisville, Charlevoix, Advance, Grand Rapids, and Big Rapids, Mich., 1881-82; Cooperstown, Ill., 1883-84; Lone Oak and Rockville, Mo., 1884-85; Rushville, Beardstown and Jacksonville, Ill., 1886-87; Chicago, March to August 1887; Aurora till November; then to Kansas City, August 1888; to Canadian, Texas, November 1888, till January 1889; then to Kansas City again; bought a restaurant Jan. 2, 1890; returned to Illinois, May 1891, to Alton, spring of 1892; and to Quincy in the fall. In most of these places she did well as tailoress, chief cook, nurse, grocer, etc."

She is also mentioned in a letter from Hallie Oleta Chute to Maud Olivia Chute dated 25 SEP 1951:

"I can't help a lot right now on Aunt Angelina's family, but might [have?] some information a little later on. This I know. She had a daughter in Canada by her first marriage, named Eva, and who married a man by the name of Steel. She died childless. When and where, I can't say. Aunt Lena was married a number of times. If Mamma were alive, she could help on this for she knew quite a bit about her activities and her marriages.

The folks told me most of what I know; however, I remember her very well. I suppose Papa told you she died in Eureka Springs, Ark. In what year I don't know yet. Will try to get some more on this and let you know."

Original letter filed under Hallie Oleta Chute, GP4935-4.


Note    N648         Index
"He departed 1874."


Note    N649         Index
Died young.


Note    N650         Index
Died young.


Note    N40-651         Back to Index        Back to Sidney Chute, Phoebe (Phebe) Williams Chute and Harriet Ann Markle Chute.

Notes on Sidney Chute, Phoebe (Phebe) Williams Chute and Harriet Ann Markle Chute:

"Born November 20, 1824, married in Bayham, Ontario, Phebe, daughter of Israel and Betsy Williams, by Rev. Samuel Baker, April 19, 1846, and lived in Bayham, on the west town line, joining Malahide; a farmer; his wife died July 11, 1863, aged thirty-eight; he married, 2nd, Harriet Markle (John Murry, Benjamin), March 21, 1864. He sold out his farm (one hundred acres) in Bayham, 1873 and bought a lot in St. Thomas, county seat of Elgin County, built and moved there 1874. Mr. Chute visited his native land in 1869-70."

Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Pages 114-115.

Sidney Chute was an investor in the Bayham, Richmond and Port Burwell Road Company in 1854, purchasing 10 shares at 5 each - possibly not one of the wisest business decisions he ever made. An interesting discussion and history of the venture, which was the source of considerable controversy and even scandal at the time, can be found at:

Is recorded in the Malahide Township census, 1861, identified as a farmer, age 35. The census appears to be a year off his actual age.


Note    N652         Index
Died by drowning.


Note    N40-653         Back to Index        Back to Ezekiel Chute and Elizabeth McConnell Chute.

Notes on Ezekiel Chute and Elizabeth McConnell Chute:

"Born Feb. 20, 1827; married Eliza McConnell by Rev. A. Chute, in Malahide, Ont., June 23, 1852; and lived a few years on a part of his father's farm in Bayham; then sold out to his father and bought a small farm west of the "Jubilee Meeting House" in Malahide, built on it, then bought out part of the old Jacob Northrup farm, across the road, and there for twenty years lived, a good farmer, carpenter and mason, also deacon in the Baptist church. About 1880, he bought and located in Ridgetown, Kent Co. But in two or three years he came back, bought and built in Aylmer, Elgin Co., and is there a cabinet maker. He was to Nova Scotia on a visit in 1850, and again with his wife in 1873."

Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Pages 115-116.


Note    N40-654         Index
Notes on James Edward Chute and Helen McLeish or McCleish Chute:

WEC: "Lives on his father's farm in Malahide."

From a description of his grave marker in the Aylmer Cemetery: "C151: 10 ft. red & brown granite on cement, obelisk with urn, vault top: South side: Rev. R. A./ McCONNELL/ 1852 - 1923/ Julia H. CHUTE/ Wife of Rev. R.A. McCONNELL/ 1856 - 1915/ CHUTE/ West side: "C": In Memory of Dea. E. L. CHUTE/ Died/ July 10, 1914/ Aged 87 years/ 4 mos, 20 d's/ Eliza McCONNELL/ Beloved Wife of Dea. E. L. CHUTE/ Died/ Jan. 27, 1903/ Aged 77 years/3m's. 19 d's./ North side: In Memory of Mollie CHUTE/ HARRISON/ 1882 - 1968/ East side: James E./ CHUTE/ Died/ Dec. 27, 1923/ In His 91st year/ His Wife/ Helen McCLEISH/ 1849 - 1936/ H. & T. Aylmer/"

James and his wife appeared in the Elgin East District, Ontario Canada 1901 Census, covering the areas of Port Stanley and Malahide Town, Yarmouth.

1901 Census: Port Stanley and Malahide Town, Yarmouth Elgin East District, Ontario Canada
James E. Chute
Aug 24 1853
Malahide Tp.
Hellen Chute
Apr 4 1849
Malahide Tp.
Mary L. Chute
May 4 1883
Malahide Tp.


Note    N40-655         Back to Index        Back to Eliazer Freeman Chute, Elizabeth Dodge Chute and Rhoda Ann Warren Chute.

Notes on Eliazer Freeman Chute, Elizabeth Dodge Chute and Rhoda Ann Warren Chute:

"Born May 30, 1829; after sailing on the lakes and moving barns a few years, he married Elizabeth, daughter pf Adam and Anna (Karns) Dodge, descendant of Tristan Dodge of Block Island, R.I., 1660, by Rev. A. Chute, Sept. 16, 1858, and settled on his father's old farm in Bayham, Ontario. His wife died Oct. 14, 1861, aged twenty-two years, seven months, thirteen days; he married 2nd, Rhoda Ann, daughter of Asa K. and Clarissa (Waters) Warren ( Asa, Col. Gideon), by Rev. A. Chute, Apr. 30, 1862, near London, Middlesex Co. Mr. Chute, like his father, is much given to hospitality; a farmer, runner of thrashing machines and justice of the peace. He visited his native land the winter of 1852-1853 and again in 1873 with his wife."

Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Page 116.


Note    N40-656         Back to Index        Back to William Edward Chute and Mary Ann Hill Chute.

Notes on William Edward Chute and Mary Ann Hill Chute:

"Born April 24, 1832; married by Rev. Alfred Chute, at his house in Adelaide, Ont., Mary Ann, daughter of Walter and Phebe (Brown) Hill (Charles, John), from Bucks Co., Pa., to Canada, April 24, 1861; drove a covered wagon (prairie schooner), across Wisconsin to Minnesota, July 1862, at the time of the great outbreak of the Sioux Indians, under Little Crow, their chief: bought out a prairie claim, built a hewed loghouse, and there settled, two miles west of Blue Earth City, Jo Davies, Faribault Co. In Dec., 1863, the call was so urgent for soldiers in the army, to put down the rebellion, he volunteered at Blue Earth City, Jan. 5, 1864, went to Fort Snelling and St. Paul; mustered into the United States service Feb 24, into Co. H, 2nd Minn. V. I, (most of the regiment being home on furlough), as a veteran recruit, and went South in March on sleighs down the Mississippi River, to LaCrosse, Wis., then by cars to Chicago, Louisville, Ky., and Nashville, Tenn., then marched (March 23), via Murfreesboro, Shelbyville, and Tallahoma to Stevenson, Ala., and thence to Chattanooga by rail.

After two days there they marched across the country eighteen miles (camped one night near the Chickamauga battleground), to Ringgold, North Georgia, the middle of April. There they rested, drilled and recruited three weeks, and started out on the great campaign under Generals Sherman, Thomas, McPherson, Howard, Palmer, Logan, Dodge, Blair, Slocomb, and others, May 7, about 100,000 strong, and was with the army in their marches, countermarches and bivouacks, to the taking of Marietta, Atlanta, Savannah, etc. He was in the 2nd Brig., 3rd Div., 14th army corps. After three weeks in and near Savannah, they marched up the Savannah river twenty-five or thirty miles, crossed over in January, 1865, on pontoon bridges into South Carolina, and went through some cold, wet and muddy tramps, crossing the Saluda, Wateree, Great Pedee, Cape Fear and other rivers on pontoon bridges, and arrived at Goldsboro, N. C., the last of March. Being in the left wing of Sherman's army they encountered the rebel, Gen. Wheeler's cavalry several times. While at Goldsboro the joyful news came of the surrender of Gen. Lee to Gen. Grant; and the dreadful news of the death of President Lincoln.

About the twentieth of April, they marched northward through Raleigh, N. C. (when Johnston surrendered to Sherman), and went into camp, south side of James River, near Richmond, Va., May 7, exactly a year from breaking camp in Ringgold, Ga., the year before, and in counting up it was found that they had marched exactly two thousand miles.

They crossed James River on pontoons and marched through Richmond by Libby Prison and Castle Thunder, and on to Washington, wading across half a dozen mountain streams and went into camp back of Arlington Heights May 18; then were in the grand review in Washington, May 24 (Gen. Grant's army of the Potomac reviewed the day before), and the last of the month they crossed over the Potomac River and went into camp at Fort Bunker Hill, just back of Washington, in Maryland.

On June 14 they left, and went via the Baltimore and Ohio railroad across to Parkersburg, West Virginia, thence by steamboat down the Ohio River, calling at Cincinnatti, to Louisville, Ky., and there about three miles out went into camp till July 11; then by railroad to Chicago, Ill., and LaCrosse, Wis., and steamboat to St. Paul; they were returned home, and mustered out at Fort Snelling the twenty-first. Then Mr. Chute returned to his home near Blue Earth City, and there "reconstructed" somewhat, but the severe winters rather "scared him out", so he sold out in 1869, and in 1870 drove a team and moved across Iowa to Maysville, De Kalb Co., Mo., and next year to Island City, Gentry Co., then to Albany, the county seat. In 1872, moved to Guilford, Nodaway Co., and that summer drove across the Missouri River into Kansas; went as far as Topeka, and returned again into Missouri, bought a lot, built and settled in Bolckow, Andrew Co. During his sojourn there of five winters he taught about thirty singing classes in five counties, DeKalb, Gentry, Nodaway, Andrew and Clinton. But the grasshoppers came over so thick from Kansas in 1874, threatening a famine, that he sold out there in the spring of 1875, and returned to St. Thomas, Ont., and there for four winters taught singing in Elgin, Middlesex and Lambton counties.

In the fall of 1879 he crossed the St. Clair River into Michigan and there farmed it summers and taught singing ten winters. Mr.Chute received only a common school education, but commenced teaching in 1855, and taught four common schools and nearly two hundred singing schools or classes in thirty different books, in Nova Scotia, Maine, New York, Ontario, Michigan, Minnesota and Missouri. Besides learning to read music and singing in the old-fashioned singing schools, Mr. Chute attended three musical institutes, first at North Reading, Mass., summer of 1857, under Dr. Lowell Mason and George F. Root, using the Hallelujah and Sabbath Bell, and for concert exercises the Haymakers and the Messiah, (and in the fall he went to Portland, Naples and Otisfield, Me., and learned the foundation of the Chutes in America); second at Winona, Minn., Aug., 1868, under George F. Root, P. P. Bliss, T. M. Towne and O. D. Adams in the Triumph, and for concerts Mendelsohn's St. Paul; third at South Bend, Ind., summer of 1870, under G. F. Root, C. M. Wyman, P. P. Bliss, T. M. Towne and William Mason, using the Palm, and for concerts Haydn's Creation. In all of these he studied harmony and composition, and from time to time has gathered a library of six hundred music and four hundred hymn books.

While on a visit to Nova Scotia in 1855, he commenced teaching singing in the good old American Vocalist, and there commenced gathering the records of the family connections, which are the basis of this volume. In 1885, he steamboated on the lakes all summer and in the fall went down the Erie Canal to New York, thence to Boston, thence to Portland, Me., and forty miles north of there in Otisfield, in Cumberland Co., taught a singing class that winter. In April 1886, he traveled forty miles east across the country to Augusta, visiting friends and relations; then via Waterville and Bangor, took cars to Woodstock, N. B., visiting and gathering records. Then after visiting friends at Eel River, he went down the St. John River on a raft to near Frederickton, and went up the Keswick River to the north, above Zealand Station and visited friends in York Co., then came down to Frederickton, and took a steamer to St. John, where he stopped four nights making calls and seeking out friends and relations. On May 12, he crossed the Bay of Fundy, on the steamer "Secret," to Digby, N. S., and in that province for nearly four months he traveled in four counties, from Weymouth, Digby Co., through Annapolis Co., to Kentville, Kings Co., and over to Caledonia, Queens Co., hunting the "lost tribes" of the family connection. He started at Bear River Sept. 7, on the schooner "Florence Christine," Capt. Norman W. Chute, wood and timber laden, and sailed to Boston; took steamer thence to Portand, Me., and traveled fifty miles north to Snow's Fall's, Oxford Co., calling and hunting family connections. At Portland took cars to Newburyport, Mass., thence across the country to Salem, Lynn and Boston, still searching records and gathering items and statistics.

After spending all of October, chiefly in Massachusetts, he left Boston and went to Taunton November sixth; to Providence, R. L, the eighth and on to New York City the morning of the tenth and went up to Albany on a canal boat, then through the Erie Canal, as a boat hand, to Buffalo, thence through Western Ontario, by cars to Detroit and so on home, arriving Nov. 30; taught singing again four winters; came to Boston, in Aug., 1890, to the twenty-fourth annual parade of the Grand Army Republic, and stayed in the state most of the time since, searching, copying and writing up the family history. He went to Washington in Sept., 1892, to the twenty-sixth encampment of the Grand Army Republic."

Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Pages 118-120

"William Edward Chute was born in 1832 at Clements, Nova Scotia. He learned singing from Captain Dean, a pupil of North America's first serious composer William Billings, using, among other works, Humbert's Union Harmony. He moved with his parents to Upper Canada (now Ontario), and eventually became a Baptist deacon. While visiting Nova Scotia in 1855 he taught a singing school using The American Vocalist. During his career he taught nearly two hundred singing schools using thirty different books in Nova Scotia, Ontario, New York, Michigan, Minnesota, and Missouri. Chute attended three musical institutes under Mason, Root, Bliss and others; and collected four hundred hymn books and six hundred tunebooks. After his marriage in 1862 he settled in Minnesota (1862-69), Missouri (1869-75), St. Thomas, Ontario(1875-79), Michigan (1879-90), then retired to Massachusetts to work on family history. He died in Bayham, Upper Canada [Ontario]. He corresponded with William Hauser, William Walker, Aldine S. Keiffer, Samuel Wakefield and H.P. Main. Some tunebooks he owned are heavily annotated with historical information. His tune "Babylon is Fallen" was printed in Hauser's Olive Leaf (1878). Hauser mentions that Prof. William E. Chute, then living in St. Thomas, Ontario, "composed the tune out of an old theme, and is too modest to claim any originality, but I do it for him." In the acknowledgements, Hauser calls Chute the "greatest hymn and tune antiquary I have ever known, and the correctness and excellence of the book in this department is owing almost entirely to him." Members of his family still sing in Nova Scotia today, and one direct descendant sang at a recent Sunday Singing hosted by the Elastic Millennium Choir. It has been said that a prophet receives no honour in his own land, and indeed, while "Babylon is Fallen" has long been a favorite down South, it has never yet found its way into a Nova Scotian tunebook, a matter which we hope to rectify in the near future."

Previous Page
Next Page