Chute Family Notes: Notes 68-1046 through 67-1071

Note    N1046          Index
Derek Lynn Chute attended Sperry High School. He is a Baptist minister, as well as owner of the Hydra-Flo Guttering Company.

Note    N1047          Index
Sherry Yvonne Tindle works as a beautician and met her husband at church.


Note    N68-1048         Back to Index
Back to Allen Rae Chute and Valerie Gene Vineyard       and Angela Lynn Carter.       and Sherry Lee Ann Isham.

Notes on Allen Rae Chute, Valerie Gene Vineyard Chute, Angela Lynn Carter Chute and Sherry Lee Ann Isham Chute:

Allen R. Chute is a policeman, and has served in the National Guard since 1986.

"I am Allen Chute of Oklahoma City Oklahoma. I am a member of the Oklahoma Army National Guard and my platoon has a website that I would like you to post. It is Please come by and visit it. I once again would like to say how proud I am of our Chute heritage, thanks for having this website for all of us to go to."

Allen Chute

SSG Chute Smoking a cigar on the roof of what used to be Osama Bin Laden's home in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, January 2007. (The home was later demolished.)

SSG Allen Chute was born on May 20, 1965 to Harlan and Francie Chute in Jacksonville, lllinois and is the second brother of four that were born to the Chutes. SSG Chute has one older brother Derek, and two younger brothers Darin and Andy. His family moved to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1968 where his father was a music director at South West Baptist Church in south Oklahoma City until the summer of 1976. While in Oklahoma City, SSG Chute completed grade school and began to develop his passion for his country and the United States military.

SSG Chute was hired to be a police officer in September of 1986 and attended the Oklahoma City Police Academy graduating in February of 1987. He continued with Oklahoma City Police Department until August of 1987 and, after an approximate six month break, was hired by Moore Police Department which is a suburb of Oklahoma City located between Oklahoma City and Norman, Oklahoma.

While working for Moore Police Department, SSG Chute began his military career by joining the United States Army Reserve 95th training Battalion located in Shawnee, Oklahoma. He did his initial training and MOSQ beginning in October 1989 when he was 24 years old at Ft. Benning Georgia where he was qualified as an Infantryman. He graduated from Infantry school in February 1990 and was awarded the Distinguished Honor Graduate from his training cycle.

Upon returning to his unit SSG Chute was awarded his first Army Achievement Medal for his accomplishments during initial training at Ft. Benning, Georgia and while with the 95th was promoted to the rank of Specialist E-4.

In the fall of 1990 SSG Chute transferred from the Army Reserves to C. Co. 2/180th TOW Infantry Battalion of the 45th Infantry Brigade where he was assigned as a M60 machine gunner in the scout platoon. While there he received the Oklahoma Reserve Component Army Commendation Medal for meritorious service during annual training 1991 at Camp Shelby Mississippi. It was during this period that he received his most critical training in infantry and scouting tactics from the several Viet Nam combat vets who were members of his scout platoon.

SSG Chute cites SSG Sandy "Chief' Powell as the greatest teacher and influence during this period. SSG Powell was part of the 101st Airborne Division during the Viet Nam war. He saw frequent combat action through two combat tours, including the famous fight on "Hamburger Hill" which occurred from May 10th through May 20th 1969 in the infamous A-Shau valley located in the northeastern corner of South Viet Nam.

In the fall of 1991 SSG Chute took part in the final "roll of muster" as a member of the 2/180th Infantry battalion and was present for the retiring of the 2/180th colors as they were placed into the 45th Infantry museum located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. His company was then attached to the 1/180th Infantry battalion, 45th Infantry Brigade as D. Co. and remained in that capacity until the fall of 2008.

During his tenure with D. Co. 1/180th Infantry, SSG Chute continued to excel being promoted to the rank of SGT E-5 in 1995, and then to SSG E-6 in the winter of 2002. While a member of D. Co. 1/180th he was involved in many significant events both with his army unit and as a police officer.

In April 1992 SSG Chute left the Moore Police Department and was re-hired by Oklahoma City Police Department where he attended the Oklahoma City Police academy a second time from April to September of 1992. Upon graduation he was assigned to the Will Rogers Division as a patrol officer and rode in near south central Oklahoma City area. During the winter of 1993 he was awarded the Oklahoma City Life Saving Medal for rescuing the victim of an auto accident whose vehicle had left the roadway and crashed through ice into a river.

The Attack on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, Oklahoma City, 19 APR 1995

On April 19, 1995 SSG Chute was at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, arriving as one of the first officers on the scene approximately 21 minutes after the explosion occurred. During the first 15 hours he climbed through the 2nd and 3rd floors looking for survivors and assisted the Oklahoma City Fire Department. He and his partner recovered or accounted for approximately fourteen bodies and were instrumental in rescue efforts that were being mounted. He spent a total of seventeen days at the site and was present when the remainder of the building was demolished with explosives. For his actions during this historical event he received the Oklahoma City Medal of Valor.

The F5 Oklahoma City (Bridge Creek-Moore) Tornado, MAY 1999

In May of 1999 SSG Chute again distinguished himself during the F-5 tornado that struck the Oklahoma City metro area with such devastation on May 3rd of that year. He and his partner closely followed the tornado until they could go no further due to trees and debris falling on the roadway. He and his partner watched from approximately one half mile away as the tornado destroyed neighborhoods in southeast Oklahoma City. SSG Chute and his partner moved into these neighborhoods on foot directly behind the tornado and began rescue efforts. For his actions during this disaster he received letters of commendation from residents of the neighborhood and the Oklahoma City Chief of Police.

On January 1, 2000 SSG Chute transferred from the Patrol Division of Oklahoma City Police Department to the Oklahoma City Police Department Special Projects Narcotics Bureau where he began to work in an undercover capacity. In the spring of 2002 he and his partner were asked to join a Task Force within the Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. He remained with the Task Force from 2002 until his retirement and his investigations have taken him across the United States.

His efforts were responsible for numerous federal convictions against international outlaw motorcycle gangs, drug cartels, and international terrorist networks. From 2002 until his retirement he participated in literally hundreds of tactical raids, search warrants, and arrests against these groups.

Operation Iraqi Freedom

In October 2002 SSG Chute's army national guard unit was mobilized in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and they were sent to take over the Multi-national Force and Observers mission on the Israeli/Egyptian border. he returned home from that deployment in August 2003. During these operations he was assigned as sight commander of OPs 3-D and 3-9 in the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt where he was, at times, responsible for both 3rd and 1st platoons of D. Co. 1/180 Infantry.

Hurricane Katrina, SEP 2005

In September of 2005 SSG Chute was ordered to take 3rd platoon of D. Company for deployment to New Orleans, Louisiana in support of Operation Southern Comfort after hurricane Katrina. He was assigned as platoon leader and he along with his platoon detached from D. Co. 1/180th and attached to A. Co. 1/180th working with 1/279th Infantry Battalion, 45th Brigade. He arrived in New Orleans with his platoon about five days after the Hurricane made landfall and began mounted patrols in "the crescent" which are neighborhoods located southwest of the downtown area. 3rd platoon conducted over 50 patrols which resulted in the rescue of numerous residents who could not get out, recovery of over $100,000.00 dollars in stolen property, the arrest of looters who had stayed behind, and recovery of several victims who had been killed. He and his platoon were in New Orleans when hurricane Rita made landfall approximately three weeks later and conducted presence patrols while the hurricane was in full force. 3rd platoon remained in New Orleans for approximately six weeks before returning home to Oklahoma in late October 2005.

Operation Enduring Freedom, FEB 2006

In February 2006 SSG Chute was again mobilized for deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. During this deployment SSG Chute was assigned as the lst section leader of 3rd platoon D. Co. 1/180th Infantry and was also acting platoon sergeant if needed. While deployed in Afghanistan he guided his section in over 100 combat missions and came under enemy fire on several occasions. Over the course of their year in country he, along with his platoon, logged some 25,000 miles and visited or stayed at over 42 different firebases, FOBs, and outposts.

Army National Guard awards

� Combat Infantryman's Badge
� Army Commendation Medal, BOL (2nd award)
� Army Achievement Medal, B5 (5th award)
� Good Conduct Medal (active duty, 1st award)
� Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal, 84 (4th award)
� National Defense Service Medal, B2 (2nd award)
� Afghanistan Campaign Medal
� GWOT Expeditionary Medal
� GWOT Service Medal
� Armed Forces Reserve Medal, BM + BHG
� Army NCO Professional Development Ribbon, B2 (3rd award)
� Army Service Ribbon
� Army Overseas Ribbon, B2 (2nd award)
� NATO Medal
� Multi National Forces Observer Medal
� State Guard Ribbon-Oklahoma Army Commendation Medal
� State Guard Ribbon-Oklahoma Good Conduct ribbon (19th award)
� State Guard Ribbon-Oklahoma Long Service Ribbon (20 years)
� State Guard Ribbon-Oklahoma State Active Duty Ribbon
� State Guard Ribbon-Louisiana Emergency Service Medal

Oklahoma City Police Awards

� Oklahoma City Police Department Medal of Valor
� Oklahoma City Police Department Life Saving Medal
� Oklahoma City Police Department Longevity pin - 5 year award
� Oklahoma City Police Department Longevity pin - 10 year award
� Oklahoma City Police Department Longevity pin - 15 year award
� Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms certificate of appreciation

Source: Allen Rae Chute, Shoot Publishing website


Note    N1049          Index
"As a boy of fifteen, Bill learned the blacksmith trade from Daniel Fickett, Jr. When he and Liz decided to get married, Bill bought the shop and also the small house that went with it, directly across the road from Addison Shaw's. Later, Bill bought an addition from his brother George who lived down the Quaker Ridge Road, and was building a new home. This house today is being renovated into the "Thomas Pond Bed and Breakfast". Liz was the local mid-wife, doctoring and birthing babies at the request of many. At one time Bill owned one of the Dingley Islands but decided to trade it for a horse. During the warm summer moments on Sunday afternoons, he would take his chair out on the porch where he could see everyone who passed along the road. In those days, when the traffic consisted of people on wagons, on bicyles or on foot, there was always time to stop and "pass the time of day" or even to "come up and sit for a spell." Bill loved that, and everyone enjoyed his dry, Yankee humor. When asked, "Where does this road go?", his favorite answer was, "I've lived here a long time, and it hasn't gone anywhere yet!".


Note    N1050          Index
Notes on Howard C. Watkins and Emma May Chute Watkins:

"Howard C. Watkins and Emma May Chute lived on Rte. 302 on a farm that had been her father's, formerly the Frost Staples home. Howard worked for J J Bond who made his money out West, then came to Raymond Cape and had an estate. Howard was caretaker of the grounds, gardens, etc. After Emma's mother died, Jeremiah brought her back to Casco where his sister, Liz Watkins (Howard's mother) gave a hand to raising her."

The History of Casco, Maine, Melissa Jill Kluge, 1991


Note    N1051          Index
"Webster Freedom Chute and Rosa Belle Watkins lived on the State Park Road, but later moved to Holden, outside Bangor. The house that Webster and Rose lived in was later occupied by a family by the name of Fisher. Around 1935-1940, the house burned."


Note    N1052          Index
"Oliver Chute, Jr. and Annie Plummer and lived in the house at Pike's Corner that was later their son Frank's. It is said that Oliver and Annie did not live together later in life. Oliver had a trailer where the telephone building is at Pike's Corner. He walked barefoot most of the time and made many trips over to Quaker Ridge to play checkers with Joshua Cook."


Note    N1053          Index
"Later, when Ida May came to Casco, she lived on the Meadow Road, the first house on the left, near the old "Jockey Grounds". Her brother Frank and his wife, Florence, lived with her. She and her husband are buried at Green Grove Cemetery."


Note    N68-1054         Back to Index        Back to Fred or Frederick P. or C. Lombard and Louise A. or N. Chute Lombard.
Notes on Fred or Frederick Lombard and Louise Chute Lombard:

"Fred and Louise lived on a farm that is now Richard Frank's. (This may have been Fred's father's farm?) In about 1918-19, they moved to South Freeport, to a farm there. It is said that Charles and Alph Gould helped Fred move to So. Freeport, driving his cattle on foot all the way. After Fred died Louise remarried a Mr. Pratt and moved to Unionville, Connecticut. The Lombards had several children and when they moved away the Quaker Ridge School was closed for the semester, because there were not enough students left there."
The History of Casco, Maine

Note    N1055          Index
Notes on Frank Chute and Florence Martha Ames Chute:

"Frank was employed as an assistant to the state highway patrol, a laborer, a farmer, but later had a gas and service station at Pike's Corner. It was later bought by Gordon Tenney and today is a dwelling."

The History of Casco, Maine, Melissa Jill Kluge


Note    N68-1056          Index
Notes on Willard Merton Chute and Mary Gertrude Moody Chute:

"Willard and Gertrude first lived in a couple places in and near Holden, Maine; then moved back to Casco to the house that had been her foster parents'. Later still they moved to the Chute farm where Willard had grown up, to help care for his parents. This house later partially burned and Leander and Ann Chute built their home on that spot. Willard and Gertrude lived in a smaller house in back. Willard Sr. had portable sawmills in different areas around Casco-Rte 302, Thomas Pond, and where Chute Lumber was later. He also did a large farming business during WWII."

Source: The History of Casco, Maine


Note    N68-1057          Index
Additional notes on Mary Gertrude Moody Chute:

"Gertrude came to live with Addison and Rebecca (Gay) Shaw in 1893 at the age of 9; both of her parents had died. The Shaws did not legally adopt her, but raised her until the time of her marriage."

Source: Kluge, Melissa Jill, The History of Casco, Maine, Publisher Jostens Printing and Publishing, State College, Pennsylvania, 1991, in honor of Casco's Sesquicentennial Celebration, 1841 to 1991.


Note    N1058          Index

"Helen taught school in East Raymond and in the Quaker Ridge Schoolhouse. For a time, the family lived in Plainville, Ct. She is now at Ledgewood Manor in Windham."


Note    N68-1059          Index
"Mollie died quite early in the marriage; Philip did not remarry, and there were no children. He continued to live in the house where he was raised, at Cook's Mills. In later years, he sold the house to move to a boarding house in South Portland, then he came to Casco to stay at the Casco Inn. Philip was the clerk for the Bridgton Road Church from 1954 - 1973."


Note    N68-1060          Index
Notes on Louis Merton Chute and Irene Francina Prescott Chute:

"Louis was an Inland Fish and Game Warden and drove trucks for his father. They built the house that is today Bailey's on Rte. 302."

Source: Kluge, Melissa Jill, The History of Casco, Maine, Publisher Jostens Printing and Publishing, State College, Pennsylvania, 1991, in honor of Casco's Sesquicentennial Celebration, 1841 to 1991.


Note    N68-1061         Back to Index        Back to Robert Dingley Chute and Jennie Esther Foster Chute.

Notes on Robert Dingley Chute and Jennie Esther Foster Chute:

"Robert Dingley Chute was a driver for his father in the lumber business. He later started Chute Lumber Co., with his younger brother, Leander. They lived in Casco on Route 302, in the house where son Ivan lives today. Robert is at the Ledgewood Manor in Windham."

Source: Kluge, Melissa Jill, The History of Casco, Maine, Publisher Jostens Printing and Publishing, State College, Pennsylvania, 1991, in honor of Casco's Sesquicentennial Celebration, 1841 to 1991.


Note    N1062          Index
"Dorothy Marie ("Dot") Chute attended Upsala College with her sister, Helen. Philip and Dot lived in Chesuncook, Maine; before [that], they lived in the house where their son Bobby lives today. Dorothy now lives in a trailer behind Bobby in the warm months and goes to Florida for the winter."


Note    N1063          Index
"Brion John Webb is an airline pilot."


Note    N1064          Index
"Ruth lived in a little house, close to Route 302, which has been moved. She now lives in a mobile home across the road from Chute's Tea Room."


Note    N1065          Index
"Stanley Boyd Harding was a Missionary Alliance Minister for many years in Casco, Otisfield, Webb's Mills, Laconia, NH and Portland for 30 years. They live permanently in Fort Myers, Florida and have no children."

Note    N1066          Index
"Went to America around 1890, returned to Ireland, settled in Cork, marrying Nora Sheenan and would have nothing to do with his family in Kerry. Letters would come and be thrown into the fire. His daughter once asked why and got such a beating that she never asked again. It would appear that we we were originally Protestant, but this Paddy was Catholic, possible due to the fact that he married a Catholic, I don't know."


Note    N1067          Index
"(Unknown) Millan was an IRA activist during the occupation, and was engaged to marry another activist. One day her fiance was brutally murdered in cold blood by the notorious Black and Tans on the street in broad daylight - they were a military regiment of the British Army which 100 years ago was composed mainly of convicts. My grandmother had to pass her fiance, dead in the street, and not flinch, or they would have then killed her or even worse. Her fiance's best friend was the shoulder that my Gran cried on, and she married him circa 1925."


Note    N1068          Index
"[In 2001], my dad is now 71 and is the oldest male Chute living in Cork City, Ireland. Male Chutes in Cork had a tendancy of living short lives, so my Dad has the record since his grandfather, even my Dad's first cousins who were males and 10 years younger than him, have departed only recently."


Note    N1069          Index
"Died during the blitz in London. Had two or three daughters, one possibly named Christina."


Note    N68-1070         Back to Index        Back to Harold Glenn Chute, Wilma Myrtle Metz Chute and and Dorothy Yvonne Austiff Chute.

Notes on Harold Glenn Chute, Wilma Myrtle Metz Chute and and Dorothy Yvonne Austiff Chute:

Correspondence, Dorothy Chute to George M. Chute, Jr.

721 Fletcher Drive
Hebron, Kentucky
February 15, 1961

Dear Mr. Chute:

Since I am the correspondent in our family, I will answer your letter of January 12.

I did take your letter home to Harold's mother at Christmas time leaving it with the promise it would be answered. I'm sure she will gather the information for you. I would have been glad to, had I known all the dates. However, I am sending you our immediate family information.

You had Michael's birthdate on your letter, I presume you know of Harold's wife Wilma's death on November 23, 1952. We were married on August 22, 1954. My maiden name is Dorothy Austiff. Our children: Glenna Lynn - [Private] and Carla Rae - [Private].

Things are well with us as we are looking forward to spring; it certainly can't come too soon. I suppose you all have had much more winter than we have, though.

We would like very much for you or members of your family to visit with us on any trips to Cincinnati.

I'm sure you will be heairng from Harold's mother in the near future.

Best regards,

Dorothy Chute

"Harold Glenn Chute - March 22, 1928 ----- I was born March 22, 1928. I was the third of six boys. We lived on a 64 acre farm one mile north of Cooperstown, Illinois. When my youngest brother was born there were nine of us in the family. Living in the home with my father, Donald and mother Cecil were us six boys and my grandfather Alfred Edward. We lived mostly on what we raised on the farm, produce and livestock.

I attended eight years elementary school at the Cooperstown Grade School. We lived one and one quarter mile from school and walked the distance morning and evening, rain or shine. I attended high school at the Mt. Sterling High School in Mt. Sterling, Illinois. I was not especially bright. My grades were mostly C's with some B's. When I entered high school I was five feet, six inches tall and weighed 175 pounds. When I graduated in 1946 I hadn't grown an inch nor put on a pound. I lettered in Baseball, Basketball and Track, three of the four years of school.

During my high school years at age 14 to 18, all the men were away fighting a war so, there were only my age group for hire. During the four summer vacations I worked men sized jobs. I worked in a rock quarry breaking rock with a 16 pound sledge hammer, I also drilled 20 foot holes in rock ledges with a jack hammer and dynamited the rock. One summer I drove a caterpillar tractor - pulling a road grader, cleaning ditches. Another summer I drove a limestone spreading truck, spreading limestone dust on crop fields. During the fourth summer I helped farm 285 acres of corn and soy beans. During this time my father was Township Road Commissioner.

I had no interest in farming and when I graduated from high school I hitched hiked to Galesberg, Illinois, about 80 miles away to work in a factory. I roomed with my mother's brother and returned home on Friday and back on Sunday. When it came harvest time came in the fall, I returned home to help with the harvest. My dad was renting a 200 acres farm by this time. In 1947 dad bought a 160 acre farm near Chambersberg, Illinois. So, I stayed on the farm to help him.

In 1949 I married Wilma Metz, a local Chambersberg girl. On July 15, 1950 we had a son. We named him Michael Douglas. We moved to Springfie1d, Illinois and I was employed by the Illinois Air National Guard. In March 1951 the unit was called into active duty at Bergstrom Air Force Base at Austin, Texas. In August of 1951 the unit was transferred to George Air Force Base at Victorville, California. In June 1952 the unit was deactivated, and I was employed by Douglass Aircraft in Long Beach, California and we moved to Bellflower. In November Wilma died suddenly and Mike and I moved back to Chambersberg with my parents.

In March 1953 I was employed by Mrs. Tuckers Food Products Co. in Jacksonville, Illinois. I was a departmental mechanic in the finished products department and night shift foreman. In October 1953 I met Dorothy Yvonne Austiff. She was hired as the secretary to the factory chemist. In November we began dating and were married on August 22, 1954. We both resigned our positions at Mrs. Tuckers and moved to Springfield, Illinois. I was hired by Allice Chalmers Tractor Company as a welder.

On September 8, 1955 we had a daughter. We named her Glenna Lynn. In March 1956 I began a correspondence course with the National School of Aeronautics. I completed the course in September. On March 23, 1957 I was hired by American Airlines at the Cincinnati, Ohio airport located near Erlanger, Kentucky. I was hired as a ticket agent. On July 10, 1960 our second daughter was born. We named her Carla Rae.

We purchased our first house in 1961 near Burlington, Kentucky. We lived there until November 1966. We sold the home and moved into a rental house near the airport in anticipation of relocating with American Airlines. In November I was transferred to an Airline Ticket Office on Ft. Leonard Wood at Waynesville, Missouri. In 1968 I became the manager. I worked in this area of airline work for the next 26 years. I was transferred to St. Louis, Missouri, then to Ft. Benjamin Harrison near Indianapolis, Indiana. We moved to Carmel, Indiana. Then I was transferred to a regional office at La Jolla, California. We moved to Carlsbad, California. By this time I was in charge of a national account with the airlines. I was the account manager of the airline offices on all the Marine Corps bases, nationwide. I spent a lot of time on airplanes servicing these accounts.

In 1991 I retired. We purchased a building lot in Fairhope, Alabama and built a retirement home. As a part of my retirement, my wife and I have unlimited airline travel on American Airlines. In May 1997 American ceased operation into Mobile, Alabama, which required that we drive 3 hours to New Orleans to board an American flight. Our son Mike lived in Jacksonville, Florida; our daughter Glenna lived in San Diego, California and our youngest, Carla lived in Dallas, Texas. So, it was very important that we lived near an airport served by American Airlines.

In August 1997 we sold our home and moved to Murfreesboro, Tennessee which is near the Nashville airport. The weather did not suit us there so we sold out and moved to Orange Park, Florida. We have burned the deed. We are not moving again, until we go to the HOME.

Employment with the airlines was a wonderful experience. We were able to travel without charge and we took full advantage of that. We traveled the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Europe, South America, Alaska, Hawaii, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong. In addition we were able to cruise the Caribbean on five occasions, visiting San Juan and most of the Caribbean Islands.

Since 1954 when Dorothy and I were married we have lived in five rented apartments, three rented houses, have owned two mobile homes, nine homes, and one condo. Five of the homes we had built. In addition we built a mobile home park and a sub-division.

Over the years I have held many community positions. Several positions in the church, i.e. Sunday school teacher, chorister, sang tenor in the choir, served on many committees and served as a deacon. I have been a PTA president, was elected and served as president of two homeowner associations and am now a member of the Architectural Control Board of the association where we now live. In addition I have worked in several community projects, worked as an official on national election boards. I have been a member of two chapters of the Lions Club.

My hobbies are reading, travel, and wood working. I have designed and built several furniture pieces. My real joy is when I can be of help to other people. I really believe that is why I was put on this earth. My wife and my children are my life.


Note    N1071          Index
"Alfred Edward Chute (1861 � 1950). Biographical sketch from "As I Remember It", written by Harold Glenn Chute for his children.

Alfred Edward Chute - Grandpa - was born on February 10, 1861 to Alfred and Olivia Miner Chute, in Strathroy, Ontario, Canada. The family moved to the states in the early 1870's. Grandpa was not an American citizen until early in the 1930's. He became naturalized when the government offered an "Old Age Pension" to all over age 65. All that was necessary was to sign a statement of residence and a brief history about his migration into the United States. When Grandpa was a small boy, the family moved from Canada to Bear Creek in Minnesota, then to Walnut Ridge, Arkansas. In 1882, the family moved to Carrolton, Illinois. My Great Grandfather was a Baptist Minister and he was pastor of a small church there. Soon after their arrival into Illinois, my Great Grandmother, Olivia, died and we believe was buried in that community but have been unable to locate her gravesite. In 1885, the family moved to Brown County in Illinois, near Cooperstown. After settling in Brown County, the family lived there continuously and most are buried in the Cooperstown Cemetery or the Richland Cemetery which is located in Schyler County, just one mile north of the Lamoine River, which separates the two counties.

I know little about Grandpa during his early years of his life. My first knowledge of his life is that the family lived in a small house near Star Bridge. In September 1902, my father was born into the family joining three sisters, Olive Telitha, Mary and Glenna Opal. When my father was two weeks old my Grandmother, Nettie, died of influenza, an epidemic swept across the nation in the early 1900's, thousands died in a few months. At her death, Grandpa sent the children to live with close relatives. I have explained where each of the children went to live and some things about their lives in the section titled "My Father". (Note: this appears in the notes section for Donald Eugene Chute).

Grandpa was remarried to Delia Anderson and Dad returned to live with them. Two years later Uncle Alfred was born and his mother, Della, died in 1908 when he was four years old. Some time later Grandpa was married for the third time to Elizabeth Thompson, she died in 1924. By this time Grandpa had bought a small farm about a mile north of Star Bridge. He lived there continually until his death except for a four-year residence in Pike County, Illinois, near Chambersburg where he had moved with Mom, Dad and our family. He returned to the Cooperstown home and died in 1951, at age 90. At the death of Grandpa's third wife, Elizabeth, my parents, who had been married a very short time moved in with Grandpa to help in the farming operation. They all lived in the same household until his death, except for the brief period of time when he left Chambersburg and returned to Cooperstown.

Grandpa did not like to farm, he did not like handling the animals and especially did not like to work horses. His participation in the farming operation was little, except during the harvesting season. He did assist in the corn husking, helped with the morning and evening chores. He self assigned himself to the gardening and the gathering and splitting of wood for heating and cooking purposes. We heated with a Round Oak Stove and cooked on a range fired with wood. By 1936 our family had grown to a total of nine: Grandpa, Dad, Mom and six boys, which required a lot of food and a lot of fuel. We raised most of our food, vegetables, pork, and chickens. We had a one half-acre garden and a two-acre truck garden. Beginning in April, when it became warm enough, Dad would plow the garden and truck patch with a walking plow and a team of horses. Grandpa's self-assignment would then take over and with a shovel, rake and a hoe he would work the ground to a fine seedbed and do the planting. He planted the garden, what was to be planted, how much to plant and in what area it was to be planted. Most everyone helped plant the garden, but Grandpa did the hoeing and killed the bugs and worms. Mom, Dad and we boys gathered the vegetables and helped in the preparation for canning.

The wood gathering was a gigantic task! In the spring of the year, Grandpa would go to the timber daily, cut down trees of a size that could be handled by two or three men, trim off the limbs and stack the poles ready to be hauled to the home site. Some trees were large enough that he would use a maul and wedges and split them to reduce them to a size that could be carried. In the fall, by use of a team and wagon, the poles were hauled to the home site and stacked in preparation for sawing into blocks that could be split for heating and cooking. The sawing operation required four or five men to operate a 36-inch circular saw powered by the tractor, off bear the wood as it was sawed into blocks and then stacked. Every day except Sunday, whether it was raining, cold or the sun was shining and the temperature 100 degrees, Grandpa split enough wood for each day's use. To avoid splitting on Sunday he split enough on Saturday to last until through Sunday, he made two piles, one for heating and one for cooking. The stoves required different sizes of wood. We boys, as part of the evening chores, would carry the wood to the porch and place it in the appropriate boxes. Grandpa only split wood, he did not carry it, Dad did not carry wood, Mom did not carry wood, we boys carried wood, and if ever there was not enough wood in the boxes for the day's use, there were severe consequences.

In 1957, the family moved to Chambersburg, Illinois. We farmed a half section of land in the Illinois River bottom; it was all farm land with not a tree in sight. We heated with an oil furnace and cooked with bottled gas. The oil furnace was not conducive to accommodate Grandpa's tobacco habit. Mom put him on a Crisco can, which he hated. Our gardening was limited to a very small garden, consequently Grandpa's usefulness to the family had diminished and was all but eliminated; he tried to cope and struggled with it until April 1951. Dad was in the field plowing one spring day when he saw someone walking on the country road. This was unusual as the road was traveled very little. When Dad came to the end of the field, he found the someone to be Grandpa. He had this suitcase with all his possessions and he was on his way back to Cooperstown, which was fifteen miles away. His brother, Hervey and Hervey's daughter Venia and her husband Tom had moved into the old home place. Grandpa said they had no one to split wood for them; so, he was needed there, he was 90 years old. Dad left the field, took Grandpa in the truck and moved him back to Cooperstown and Grandpa took up where he left off. One day that June, Grandpa was splitting wood, having just finished for the day, leaned his ax against the old Burr Oak tree, took out his handkerchief, wiped the sweat from his brow and fell dead across the pile of wood he had just split.

Grandpa was 68 years of age when I was born. He probably had as much influence on my life's development as anyone. Grandpa had a rocking chair he called his. After supper, he would sit by the heating stove and rock and sing to us. He would always go to his chair immediately after supper because he cut a new chaw of 'Star" Tobacco and he spit into the stove. The chair was a special place, he did not allow anyone else to sit in it. We would sometimes sit in the chair with one eye on the door, because if we were caught, we would have to move immediately. He would enter the room, point to you and say a word that sounded like "sooker". I never knew exactly what he was saying but we knew it meant, "get out of my chair". Grandpa never seemed to age, he was very spry and agile, never complained of sore muscles or joints.

On his 80th birthday, he shucked eighty bushel of corn by hand. The temperature was 10 degrees above zero. My brother Gale and I were shucking on a separate wagon; we shucked 80 bushel also. Gale and I shucked two rows at a time; Grandpa shucked three. He never had a sick day in his life that anyone knew about, he did have an injury that left him with a crippled arm but I don't believe it hindered his work activities. He was walking home from Cooperstown after night, fell and broke his arm, he never even saw a doctor, the arm was never set nor a splint applied, he never complained that it ever hurt him. The only evidence that you could see was that his arm had about a two-inch side to side movement, which was not noticeable except when he was asked to demonstrate.

Grandpa would tell us about his life experiences. He was living in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas at age sixteen when he heard about General Custer's defeat at the Little Big Horn. He commented that he was aware of the defeat, beaten by bows and arrows and also commented that in just 70 years, Japan was defeated by the atomic bomb. He was in awe at the changes in the world during his lifetime: From bows and arrows to the atomic bomb in just 70 years. He told of an interesting story about himself and his brother Hervey. When he was 23 years old and Uncle Herve was 20; there was little work in the community. They had an Uncle Martin living in Hillsboro, Wisconsin, who made them aware of available work in the pine mills in the area, so they traveled to Wisconsin for employment. They were quickly employed and assigned the job of falling trees.

Grandpa and Uncle Herve were chopping on the same tree, in the same notch, Grandpa swung left handed and Uncle Herve swung right handed. Uncle Herve's ax glanced and cut through his boot, red appeared through the cut in the boot and he fainted. Grandpa, weighing 160 pounds shouldered Uncle Herve, who weighed about 210 and carried him about 100 yards to the logging camp for help. They carefully removed his boot and discovered that he was wearing red toed socks, not only was his foot not cut, neither was his sock. Of course, Uncle Herve never in his life time lived that down. They only worked in Wisconsin that one winter.

There was another interesting story about Grandpa and an disagreement with the preacher. Grandpa was a devout Christian; he always attended church and was a deacon and a Sunday School teacher. The disagreement occurred when a young couple was saved and wanted to be baptized. The season was in late November and the preacher said they would have to wait until spring as the water was too cold. Grandpa confronted the preacher with the argument that it was unreasonable to make the couple wait until spring, and although the water was cold, they should proceed. The preacher stated that if it was him, my Grandpa, he was sure he would want to wait until the water was warmer, but if Grandpa was the one to be baptized, the preacher would certainly baptize him. Grandpa stewed over this matter for a week and without a word to anyone, when the invitation was given at the end of the morning worship service the next Sunday, Grandpa went forward with the request to be rebaptized. He also requested that he would like to have it done that afternoon and if the other couple was prepared they could be baptized at the same time. At 2:00 p.m., the three of them were baptized in the Lamoine River.

There is a story about Grandpa and a traveling salesman that ended with dramatic results. One afternoon in the dark days of the depression, a traveling salesman came to the door. Mom invited him in and he was allowed to make his sales pitch. In those days it was safe to let in peddlers as rural people depended on their wares. I'm not sure who all was present during this pitch. I only remember Mom, Grandpa and myself being there and that he was selling the Successful Farming Magazine. After he had made his short presentation, he opened his subscription pad and began asking for information. Mom told him, they weren't financially able to subscribe to the magazine. He argued, since we were farmers and needed to be successful, we had to get the magazine. Mom told him there were eight mouths to feed in the family and it took every cent we had to feed them. He said that if he had eight mouths to feed and didn't have the money, he would steal it if necessary. Mom told him there was no need to discuss it any further and he should leave. He continued with his argument and Mom again, told him to leave. He said he could not leave until she ordered the magazine. Mom, in her frustration arose and left the room. Grandpa had just listened quietly all this time. When Mom left the room, Grandpa turned to the salesman, tipped his head back to prevent tobacco juice from running down his chin, and said, "She has gone for the shotgun and if she can find the shells, you are in a heap of trouble." The salesman quickly gathered his belongings, ran from the house, jumped into his car and sped away. He left in such haste he left the pasture gate open as he left. I don't know that Mom ever knew why her guest left so abruptly. Saturday afternoon was the time most farmers went to town to market their products and purchase necessities. Grandpa and Uncle Herve usually went to Mt. Sterling or Rushville with the rest of the family, mostly to have something to do. They selected a bench at the busiest corner in town to people watch. Their main interest was to pick out the ladies and criticize the shortness of their dresses. I can remember Uncle Herve saying "Ed, here comes another one". I never knew exactly what that meant. Many times I have heard them say, some day, at the rate they we're going, that you would probably be able to see their knees. At times Uncle Herve would stray away and was hard to find when it became time to go home. We would all look for him and many times found him at the Creamery. The Creamery bought farm products from the local farmers and made buttermilk for human consumption, Uncle Herve would go there to get his weekly fix of buttermilk. His wife, Aunt Ida on one occasion when we were unable to find him, stated they would probable find him in some alley, drunk on buttermilk.

Grandpa was well-liked, he was even tempered, pleasant and well read. He could converse on most subjects, and liked to debate issues with friends and family, his favorite opponent was my mother. One issue that would always prompt a disagreement was when Grandpa would give the baby of the family, coffee at the breakfast table. Grandpa had one cup of coffee for breakfast each morning, he would make the coffee white with cream, pour it into his saucer to cool and drink it from the saucer. Grandpa took delight in spoon feeding the baby, coffee, he did this every morning, which always prompted the same protest from Mom. It appeared that she was severely condemning his action, but at the same time would call the baby a "Coffee Toper", which was an endearing term, so I doubt she was really in protest. I can remember when Grandpa would pour coffee into his saucer, Harlan, who was the baby at that time, would clap his hands and giggle, knowing he was about to get his morning ration of coffee. Mom and Grandpa could stir up an argument on most any subject, but looking at the whole picture they got along pretty well, considering they lived as in-laws under the same roof for twenty seven years. Grandpa was very supportive of all us boys. He would hold us on his lap and sing to us. Here's the picture. ... Grandpa would have a chew of tobacco in his mouth, he would hold his head back to avoid tobacco juice from running down his chin; he couldn't sing a note but that didn't make any difference to him he would sing anyway. In the spring of the year he would make us whistles from maple branches, whittle a top from thread spools, and make water guns and pop guns from Sumac stalks. In the fall of the year, for as long as I can remember he would repair or rebuild the sled he had built for us, making it ready for the first snow.

Previous Page
Next Page
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records
Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids