Chute Family Notes: Notes 92-1776 through 92-1800

Note    N92-1776         Back to Index        Back to Charles Herbert Chute and Genevieve Baker Chute.

Notes on Charles Herbert Chute and Genevieve Baker Chute:

Correspondence with George M. Chute, Jr.
Los Angeles
April 10, 1951

Dear Mr. Chute:

I have tried to give you the information you asked for, but am sorry that I cannot supply all the dates, but if it is important that you have them I shall try to get them for you.

As to other Chutes that I know:>/P>

Hiram E. (page 93). Died in Los Angeles October 1932, leaving 3 children:

Eugene, living in Los Angeles
Helen, married Ernest J. Dill & is now a widow
Charlton F., married Pearl Hill. Lives in Penna. Has 2 children, David and Diana.

Freeman and Palmer (page 170)
Freeman died here several years ago.
Palmer still lives in Los Angeles.

Hope this will be of use to you.


Charles H. Chute

Los Angeles
June 10, 1951

Dear Mr. Chute:

Sorry that I could not answer all of your questions but glad to answer as many as I could. I have tried without success to find Palmer (or Parmer) Chute and Verne Chute. They are not in the telephone directory and Los Angeles has not published a city directory for several years, but if they are living here they would likely have phones.

I was able to borrow a copy of the Chute Genealogies, but do not own one.

Eugene Chute in the 1942 directory is the brother of Charlton Foster Chute, but Clara C was his mother, not his wife. She died 7 years ago. I met Dr. Charles E. Chute several years ago, but he left Los Angeles, and it may be that he went to Florida.

I have just received word that the wife of Frank Chute of Somerville, Mass. died following an operation a few days ago.

Hope this information will help you.


Chas H. Chute


Note    N92-1777         Back to Index        Back to Carl Emery Seestedt and Vicki Pingel Seestedt.

Notes on Carl Emery Seestedt and Vicki Pingel Seestedt:

Vicki Pingel Seestedt, Carl Seestedt, Jana and Julie Seestedt, 2006

Obituary, Carl Seestedt

Carl Seestedt, 54, of Grand Ledge, passed away at his home May 23, 2009.

Raised in Romulus, he attended Grand Valley State Colleges and resided in Grand Ledge for the last 28 years. Carl fought a long and courageous battle with cancer. He is now resting peacefully in the open arms of the Lord.

A loved family man, honored friend and dedicated worker, Carl touched the lives of everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him. A devoted employee of Farm Bureau Insurance for 24 years, Carl had a true gift for helping people. Above all, Carl's greatest joy was spending time with his friends and family. He had a contagious passion for life and will be truly missed.

Carl is survived by his wife of 30 years, Vicki (Pingel) Seestedt; daughters, Jana and Julie; his mother, Katheryn; sisters, Ruth (Ray) Guydosh and Jean Hansen and brother, Paul (Annette) Seestedt; father-in-law, Carroll (Marilyn) Pingel; brothers-in-law, Gary (Pat), Larry (Mary) and David (Jan) Pingel; sisters-in-law, Linda (Joe) Hinz and Julie (Ken) Ardelean, 19 nieces and nephews and was predeceased by his father, Emery Seestedt and mother-in-law, Elgeva Pingel.

Funeral services were held May 28 at the Trinity United Methodist Church, Lansing, with interment at Wacousta Cemetery. Arrangements were handled by the Peters & Murray Funeral Home, Grand Ledge.

For those desiring, contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society or Trinity United Methodist Church. The family extends their gratitude to special caregiver, Maria Hernandez. Online condolences may be made at www.petersandmurray


Note    N92-1778         Back to Index        Back to Robert Donald Chute and Marian Louise Price Chute.

Notes on Robert Donald Chute and Marian Louise Price Chute:

Robert D. Chute has been named professor and chairman of the department of engineering technology at Lawrence Technological University

Engineering technology chairman named at Lawrence Tech

By Bruce J. Annett

Robert D. Chute has been named professor and chairman of the department of engineering technology at Lawrence Technological University.

The appointment was announced by Dr. Khalil S. Taraman, dean of Lawrence Tech's College of Engineering.

The department of engineering technology offers a Bachelor of Science degree in the field, as well as four specialized associate degree programs in construction, manufacturing, electrical and mechanical engineering technology. The department enrolls more than 600 students.

Chute has been a member of the Lawrence tech faculty for 17 years. He also has extensive industry experience as an engineer with General Electric, Chrysler and Burroughs, now Unisys, where he worked on such projects as large motor design and testing, including locomotives, guidance systems for Redstone and Jupiter rockets and computer input/output devices. As chief engineer at Burroughs�s international division, he oversaw engineering programs in Japan, Brazil, Belgium, France and Scotland. Chute is also a consultant on industrial control systems and circuits, utility system planning, product liability, electrical machinery and electrical fires.

He holds degrees from the University of Michigan and Wayne State University.

Chute is a contributing author to Collier Encyclopedia, and with his father is co-author of the McGraw-Hill text, "Electronics in Industry", now in its fifth edition.

Tech News
Lawrence Technological University
Vol 57, No. 1
21000 West Ten Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48075-1058
September 12, 1990


Note    N92-1779         Back to Index        Back to George Chute and Harriett Booker Chute.

Notes on George Chute and Harriett Booker Chute:

The only record thus far on this couple is a marriage license and record, dated 29 SEP 1908, between George Chute of New Orleans, and Harriett Booker, of Independence, Missouri. A "W. B. Booker" attested to her age; we are presuming that he is her father, although this is unverified.

I suspect that this may be George Tupper Chute, born 3 FEB 1887 and died 4 MAR 1910, the son of George Tupper Alexander Chute and Sarah Adeline Mayo, as at least one family member (Aubrey James, brother of George) resided in Louisiana at one time, while the remainder were more closely tied to the State of Alabama. More research on this couple is needed.


Note    N92-1780         Back to Index        Back to William Oscar Chute, Edith Harris Chute and Elva ("Elvie") Ellen Douglas Chute.

Notes on William Oscar Chute, Edith Harris Chute and Elva ("Elvie") Ellen Douglas Chute:

"The information I have is that William Oscar was married to Edith Harris. They had one child, Hilda Marie. Edith died when the child was 17 months old. Subsequently, William married Elvie Ellen Douglas (my grandmother). They had four children, three daughters and one son, my father. The daughters were Marguerite Louella, b. 11/16/09 (I'll have to do some searching for the date of her death), Gwendolyn Louise, b. 8/31/09 (date of death will need researching), Mildred Parker, b. 12/9/13, still living and in good mental health. She will be a source for information. George Duglas, b. 11/8/38.

My father was married to Myrtle Marie White, b. 10/26/07, d. 3/17/92. They had three daughters: Margaret Ellen, b. 8/18/27, d. 3/31/28, Kathleen Mildred, b. [Private], and myself, Janet Eilene, b. [Private]."

Source: Janet Eilene Chute Rizzo
25 JUN 2001
E-Mail, subject "Family Genealogy"


Note    N92-1781         Back to Index        Back to Lewis Hartford Chute and Helen L. Garnett Chute.

Notes on Lewis Hartford Chute and Helen L. Garnett Chute:

Campobello Island, N.B. � Lewis H. Chute, 89, passed away Monday, December 4, 2006. Lewis was born February 4, 1917 on Campobello Island, the son of Lorenzo and Jerusha (Searles) Chute. Lewis enjoyed hunting and fishing. He spent all of his life on Campobello Island. The last few years he resided at the Campobello Lodge and we thank the staff for his excellent care. He was predeceased by his parents; a brother, Merrill; a sister, Ethel; and a daughter, Ethel. He is survived by Helen, his wife of 53 years; a son, Garnett and his wife JoEllen of Hermon; a son, Craig and his wife Marie of Lubec; a son-in-law, Martin and his wife Kelli with their children, Sarah and Mae, of Bocabec, N.B. Lewis was blessed with four grandchildren, Lee and his wife Fran of Alton, Laurie of Hermon, and Cherie and Heather of Lubec; a sister-in-law, Edith Gardner and her family; many nieces, nephews and cousins. He had fond memories of the Carnes family visiting from the Chicago area. Memorials: charity of your choice or the Edith Lank Memorial Camp, care of Wilson's Beach Baptist Church, Campobello Island. Cemetery: Greenlawn Cemetery County Rd. Lubec, ME 04652. Services: 2:00PM at Ridge Baptist Church on Wednesday, December 6th, 2006.

Source: Mays Funeral Home Web Page, Campobello, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada


Note    N92-1782         Back to Index        Back to Raymond Matthews Glover and Sarah Elizabeth Chute Glover.

Notes on Raymond Matthews Glover and Sarah Elizabeth Chute Glover:

Biographical Information
Raymond Matthews Glover:
Religious Affiliation: Baptist
Highschool: Santa Barbara Highschool
College: Brooks Institute of Photography
Occupation: Fire equipment, costumer
Military Service: WWII, U.S. Army, South Pacific

Sarah Elizabeth Chute:
Religious Affiliation: Baptist
Highschool: Dorsey Highschool, Los Angeles, CA
College: Sawyer Business College, Los Angeles, California
Occupation: Costumer, museum owner & curator

"After High School Ray went to Brooks Institute of Photography. This was cut short by the outbreak of WWII. He never lost his love of photography, and in fact was a model for Brooks students in later years. He was a prankster, and was very photogenic, his humor sparkled from his eyes.

Ray owned his own business, Glover Fire Equipment Company, from 1946 - 1977. With Sarah as his secretary and office manager, and his father as their accountant, Ray built up a business that spanned three counties. He turned over the business to his son Charles and then turned his attention to the Costume Rental Shop that Sarah had opened in 1967.

They enjoyed their time together at work and at play. When they first met he was teaching ballroom dancing in addition to his day job. They became interested in international folk dancing, and spent many years dancing two or three nights a week. After a few years they, along with three other couples, formed their own dance club which then spawned a performing troupe, the Nichevo Dancers.

Ray was a very active member of the Lions Club, (Sarah was a Lady Lion). Over the years he belonged to several chapters and held numerous positions. One time, as a penalty for being late to a meeting, he was the proud guardian of a duck for a week (to the delight of the children). It was never proven whether he was late on purpose or not.

They both sang in the church choir, he was a tenor, she was a soprano. They bought records and learned the words to many of the folk dance tunes.

Ray loved being outdoors, plants, animals, and was an amazing whistler. He knew many bird calls and could trill beautifully.

Ray was a practical joker. He had a lot of fun putting rubber insects on plates, fake eyeballs in drinks, etc. In a restaurant he would order "dead chicken" with a "honeymoon" salad (lettuce alone, no dressing).

In 1976 Ray had a massive heart attack. It took some time, but he recovered well. The hardest thing for him was slowing down. He later had a second attack and developed diabetes as a result. This meant no more of his favorite food: ice cream. This also meant that he had a lot more time at home and he and Sarah enjoyed watching baseball, listening to music and watching their grandson grow. They still held hands until the day he died.

When they decided to retire and move to Nova Scotia, Canada, Ray was very happy with the slower pace, and amazed at the friendliness of the people in Bear River. He quickly made friends and joined the local Lions Club.

After a few short years of fairly good health, it started to deteriorate. He developed congestive heart failure and advanced from pills to insulin injections. Even in his worst moments of pain he never lost his sense of humor. He was a warm, loving, kind and generous man, and the best Santa ever.

He died, at home, 5/16/1987, in the care of his life-long love and devoted companion, Sarah. His favorite flowers, forget-me-nots, were in bloom when he died.

Some of his humor must have rubbed off on her. At the viewing, just before his funeral, she slipped a rubber cockroach into his pocket and said, "Here's something for you to put in Saint Peter's coffee." "SARAH: After the break up of her first marriage, Sarah went to Sawyer Business College and earned a certificate of completion in stenography. (Her short-hand was even more illegible than her normal writing.) Sarah was working as Office Manager for American Rubber Mfg. in Los Angeles when she met Ray. He was buying fire hose for his business. When he finally got up the nerve to ask her out she said yes. They were married a year later. Her former boss was still trying to entice her back to work five years later. He had to hire three people to to take her place.

Sarah was an acomplished pianist, loved music, plants, animals, languages, and had dreamed of being a research chemist. She was happy to be Ray's secretary and office manager, in addition to being the mother of their two children. Nearly everything they did, they did together. When they became involved in folk dancing they took family vacations to attend folk dance festivals from one end of the state to the other.

Many of the dancers wore ethnic costumes to the festivals and Ray and Sarah started acquiring some of their own. They also bought some for the children. This eventually developed into an extensive collection and includes some priceless antique pieces.

In Santa Barbara there is a week long festival in the summer called "Old Spanish Days", commonly referred to as "Fiesta". One year a friend asked Sarah if she would be willing to loan or rent some of her collection to be worn for the Fiesta Parade. A monster was created.

From 1967 through 1978 the family looked forward to Halloween with a mix of joy and dread. It was great fun, the major income time of the year, and also the most exhausting. During this chaos they had seven employees in addition to themselves, their daughter Lucy, and a part-time professional make-up artist. In 1979, after Ray had recovered from his second heart attack, they decided to retire and immigrate to Nova Scotia, Canada. Sarah's paternal ancestors were "planters" and her father was born there, in the little village of Bear River, where her remaining cousins lived. Fresh air and a quiet, slower pace was just what the doctor ordered.

They were accepted as immigrants in 1980, sold their home and the costume business and bought a huge old 22 room house in Bear River. It took two full size moving vans and a VW van to truck their household goods, antiques and the ethnic collection across the continent. There were also five dogs, three cats and a turtle.

Due to circumstances in Santa Barbara, beyond their control, the payments (for the business)they had counted on for their retirement stopped coming. So, at the age of 60, Sarah again started up the Costume Rental Shop from scratch, as well as the Riverview Ethnographic Museum in Bear River. About 10 years later their daughter-in-law Sharon, a very talented seamstress, took over the costume business.

Strong willed and quite independant, Sarah lived on her own, and was still driving, until 3/15/2007 when she had a series of mini strokes and a bad fall. She was hospitalized for two weeks, and released into her daughter's care suffering from vascular dementia. Lucy moved in with her and cared for her until she died, in her sleep, 7/27/2009."

Biographies courtesy of: Lucille Elizabeth Glover Mullen
Sources:Birth Certificates
Marriage Certificate
High School Diplomas
Death Certificates
Sarah's grammer school report cards


Note    N92-1783         Back to Index        Back to Wilfred Bernard Chute and Betty Honeywood Chute.

Notes on Wilfred Bernard Chute and Betty Honeywood Chute:

Obituary, Wilfred Bernard Chute

"CHUTE - At Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario, on Monday, October 29, 1973, Wilfred B. Chute, Harrietsville, in his 40th year; beloved husband of Betty Honeywood Chute; dear father of Gregory and Scott at home; dear brother of Maurice Chute, Dunnville and Clifford Chute, St. Thomas. Resting at the L. Laird Logan Home, Dorchetser, from where funeral service will be held in the chapel on Wednesday, October 31, at 1:30 p.m., Rev. Maurice Francis officiating. Interment Aylmer Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Ontario Heart Fund would be appreciated. A memorial IOOF service at the funeral home will be held on Tuesday evening at 8:30 p.m. Hope Lodge 68, Harrietsville in charge."

Source: "St. Thomas Times Journal", October 30, 1973.
Contributed by: Kathy Sadler, cousin to Betty Honeywood
31 October 2009


Note    N92-1784         Back to Index        Back to William ("Billy") Browne, Jr. and Norma Elizabeth Chute Browne.

Notes on William ("Billy") Browne, Jr. and Norma Elizabeth Chute Browne:

"The Browne Family � 4 generations in Radio"
Billy Browne, Jr.

"Local radio will always survive, as long as it provides people with local news and information, and continues in the tradition of people talking to people." Billy Browne Jr. This is the philosophy of one family that has been committed to radio for four generations. When Billy Browne senior began singing on CJCG in Winnipeg in 1922 he probably didn't realize the impact his involvement with radio would have on generations to come. A born performer, Billy Browne senior was involved as a child in circus acts, in the military as a drummer and bugler, and throughout his life he was known for his wonderful singing voice.

After leaving the military, where he was decorated twice, Billy senior vacationed to Vancouver in 1928 and never returned, often joking that he was "still on vacation." Known as "the Grand old man of Canadian radio" and the "Chief Disher-upper," he hosted famous shows like "Billy Browne's Brevities", "Remember When", and "Breakfast with Browne." He was manager of CKMO Vancouver for 6 years before moving on to CJOR where he took over the morning show.

Beginning in 1945 "Breakfast with Browne" claimed 100,000 loyal listeners who also enjoyed hearing Browne's son Billy Browne Jr. literally grow up on the air. Billy Jr. watched his father on air and spent much of his time at the radio station. He often went with his father on sales calls, and to station events.

After a stint in the Navy, Billy Browne Jr. returned to his passion for the broadcast industry and became known on air as "Billy Fortune." When Billy Browne Sr. passed away from a heart attack in 1951 at age 55, it was the natural thing for Billy Jr. to take over "Breakfast with Browne."

Billy Browne's "Breakfast Club" was widely popular and offered listeners a membership card and a chance to win money. It was rumored to have had the largest membership of any radio club in North American history. The Breakfast Club was so popular in fact it continued long after Billy's death up until 2005.

Everything was going right for Billy Jr. He met a wonderful woman named Norma and fallen very much in love. He married, had a daughter named Charleen, and a wonderful career as one of the highest paid disc jockeys of the day. That is why his next move was considered so crazy by so many of his peers. Billy and Norma decided to open their own radio station on Vancouver Island. As Norma once told reporters "we had been [going there] as often as we could on weekends and holidays for fishing. We always hated to leave, so we decided to do something about it." And they definitely did.

CFCP, based out of the Comox Valley, went on the air in 1959 and it was Norma and Billy's goal to have a community focus for their station. This included, lost dogs, items for sale in a show they called "Telemarket," and even a program called "Message Time," where listeners could pass along a message to someone they knew. All of these hit the community focus nail on the head. Billy Browne Jr. managed the station while continuing to run "Breakfast with Browne" every morning. Known for his vast record collection and ] his talent for reading poetry on the air, Billy was as much a star on Vancouver Island as he had been in Vancouver. No matter what the weather, listeners were greeted with the words, "It's a beautiful British Columbia morning." It was an exciting thing for a small community to have a radio station they could call their own. Norma dealt with accounts and administration and together, as Norma would say, "simply put, we made a wonderful team."

CFCP radio LTD. Included CFPA Port Alice, CFNI Port Hardy, CFWB Campbell River, CHQB Powell River, and CFCP in the Comox Valley. Throughout the years their daughter Charleen has had different levels of involvement with the company but has always maintained a passion for radio. Charleen worked administration and other jobs but was primarily focusing on becoming a registered nurse. It was actually at CFCP where she would meet her future husband. Greg Phelps was hired by Bob McGinnis as a newsman for CFWB in 1974.

Norma Elizabeth Chute Browne.

In 1977 Charleen and Greg were married. In 1982 they had a baby boy named Ryan who was the apple of Billy's eye. True to tradition, Billy loved having Ryan on the air with his "Papa," singing songs, telling stories, or just chattering away.

In 1985 Charleen and Greg had a daughter named Christen, affectionately termed "Roo" by Billy himself. Like Charleen and Billy, Ryan and Roo grew up surrounded by radio on a day to day basis. Billy's longtime employee Gail Holdway recalls "he was always fawning over the kids and wiping Roo's runny nose. The kids were always in the hallways."

In 1990 at the age of 63 Billy Browne Jr. suffered an aneurysm and passed away at home. His funeral was a mix of all kinds of people. Dick Drew delivered the eulogy to mourners dressed in everything from Native Garb, to thousand dollar suits. After his death, Norma took over as C.E.O. and continued to run the business. Shortly after that her son-in-law Greg, who at this time had now done everything from news to car sales and print media to management, took over as the General Manager. From 1992-1994 Charleen followed in her father's footsteps and hosted her own show called "People to People" based on her father's belief that radio was all about "people talking to people." Greg took over some of the morning show duties and was often called "the Voice of the Valley." As well as running parts of the morning show Greg was involved in sales and programming.

In 1999 on New Years day Greg needed someone to fill a shift, and it seemed his only option was Roo. His son Ryan was at UBC pursuing his love of music and studying to be a teacher. Since that first day Roo went on the air her passion for radio has grown and grown. At the age of 19 she was hired as the first female morning host at CHQB 1280 am in Powell River. Roo takes great pride in following in her family's footsteps. She is considered the only known 4th generation broadcaster, in a continued line, in Canada. In 2005 Norma made the decision to sell the company and retire. Both Greg and Roo stayed on with the new owners for 8 months and then chose to pursue other endeavors. Norma is happily retired. Charleen is a mental health nurse in the Comox Valley and also avidly follows the love of story telling she learned from her father, as a writer. Greg has chosen a very exciting endeavor working for Habitat for Humanity, and Roo jumped at the opportunity to work for the Jim Pattison Broadcast group in Prince George.

Radio has shaped the lives of these four generations. It has been a part of their past, and Roo hopes her passion for broadcasting, will secure it as a part of their future.

Written by Roo Phelps for BC Radio History. All photos courtesy of Roo Phelps.

"Four Generations on the air in Canada"
Charleen Brown Phelps

"Take a good look at the attractive young lady named Christen Roo Phelps. She is fourth in a long line of Brownes who have been entertaining radio audiences since her great grandfather Billy Browne Sr began singing on radio station CJCG in Winnipeg in 1922. The station closed down in 1923, so he moved to CKCK Regina, then on to Vancouver. There he began what became a 48 year radio tradition on CJOR called Breakfast with Browne, which remained remained Vancouvers top - rated morning show.

From the time Billy Browne Jr. was five years old, Billy Sr would have him on the air regularly. Audiences followed Billy Jr. as he grew up, went to school, and began dating. When Billy Sr died suddenly of a heart attack in 1951. Billy Jr.- by that time an established radio personality - took over "Breakfast with Browne".

In 1958, Billy Jr. and wife Norma received a radio licence for Courtenay on Vancouver Island, where Billy continued "Breakfast with Browne" until his sudden death of a heart attack in 1990. He was 63.

By then Billy and Norma had a network of six radio stations known as Coast Radio, serving upper Vancouver Island and Powell River. Their daughter Charleen did some air work; however, she preferred administration, including a stint as network music director. She married station news director Greg Phelps and they had a boy and a girl. The boy chose to become a teacher, while the girl, Roo Phelps, let her rampant radio genes take control as she began carving herself a promising career in radio.

Like her grandfather and great grandfather before her, she hosted a morning show for several years. When her grandmother, Norma Browne, sold Coast Radio to Vista Broadcasting in 2005, Roo felt the urge to stretch her wings and is now working on the air at CKPG, Prince George.

Norma Elizabeth Chute Browne and Christen ("Roo") Phelps

Over the years my wife Aline and I became quite close to the Browne family. I worked at Coast Radio in 1960-61 before returning east. In 1979 Billy Jr. encouraged Aline and I to buy Radio Station CKAY, Duncan [now SUN-FM] and return to the West. In 1990 I was honoured to be asked by Norma to deliver Billy Jrs eulogy to a church that was packed to overflowing.

Will there be a fifth generation of Brownes in Canadian radio? Well, as we say in radio land, Stay tuned folks.

Learn more about the Brownes at

Source: Canadian Achievers.
All photos courtesy of Roo Phelps


Note    N92-1785         Back to Index        Back to William Elbert Chute and Virginia Ann Reidy Chute.

Notes on William Elbert Chute and Virginia Ann Reidy Chute:

Obituary, Virginia Ann Reidy Chute
Virginia Ann Reidy Chute. Photo courtesy of Miles Funeral Home.

"Virginia (Reidy) Chute, a longtime resident of Worcester, died August 26, 2009, in River Terrace Healthcare, Lancaster, Mass., after a long illness. Wife of the late William E. Chute, Virginia is survived by her daughter, Pamela Reponen and her husband, David; her granddaughter, Lisa Turner, and her husband, Neil; a great-grandson, Thomas; a brother-in-law, Paul Chute; a sister-in-law, Marie Williams, and her husband, Norman; and several nephews and nieces. She is predeceased by her sister, Marion Geiger, and brother, Michael J. Reidy, Jr. Born in Worcester to the late Marion (Howard) and Michael J. Reidy, Sr., Virginia attended Sacred Heart Academy and the Worcester School of Business Science. A bookkeeper for several local businesses during her career, she had most recently worked 25 years in the city of Worcester Treasurer's Office, serving as paymaster prior to her retirement in 1988. Virginia had been a member of St. George's Church in Worcester for 40 years. Her interests included lunch dates with friends, playing bridge, bowling and traveling. Relatives and friends are invited to attend calling hours from 5 to 7 p.m. on Friday, August 28th in the Miles Funeral Home, 1158 Main St., Holden. The funeral will be held on Saturday, August 29th, from the funeral home with a 10 a.m. Mass of Christian Burial in St. George's Church, 38 Brattle St., Worcester. Burial will follow in Pine Grove Cemetery, Boylston. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the City of St. Jude, 2048 West Fairview Ave., Montgomery, AL 36108-4198; or to St. George's Church, 38 Brattle St., Worcester, MA 01606."

Source: Miles Funeral Home website


Note    N92-1786         Back to Index        Back to Darold O. Juhlin and Virginia Ann Chute Juhlin.

Notes on Darold O. Juhlin and Virginia Ann Chute Juhlin:

Obituary, Darold O. Juhlin
Darold O. Juhlin. Photo courtesy of

"Darold O. Juhlin 84, of 1037 19th Street S.W. died Wednesday December 14, 2005, at Muse Norris Hospice Inpatient Unit, Mason City. Funeral mass will be held 10:30 A.M. Saturday December 17, 2005, at the St. Joseph Catholic Church, 302 5th Street S.E., with Reverend Harry H. Koelker officiating. Interment will be in Elmwood St. Joseph Cemetery, with full military honors conducted by members of the Mason City Veterans Memorial Association. Visitation will be held Friday from 4- 6 P.M. with a scriptural wake service at 6P.M. at Hogan Bremer Moore Colonial Chapel 126 3rd Street N.E. Mason City. Memorials may be directed to Boy Scouts of America Winnebago Council and Newman Catholic Schools.

Darold O. Juhlin was born March 11, 1921, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Darold attended Mason City Schools. During high school he helped his father with the construction of grain silos and building the A&W Root Beer stand in Clear Lake, near the Surf Ballroom. After school he worked at State Brand Creamery, where he met Virginia Ann Chute.

Darold and Virginia were united in marriage on April 15, 1942, in Mason City at St. Joseph Catholic Church; to this union five children were born. On January 5, 1943. Darold was drafted into the United States Army serving until he was honorably discharged on January 17, 1949. After the service Darold completed schooling as a machinist; working for Thomas Machine Company. Darold later worked for Coca Cola Bottling Company as a plant manager, then worked for Interstate Power up until his retirement. Over the years with his expertise as a machinist Darold did several jobs for various companies in Mason City, including the installation of the Globe Gazette Color Printing Presses.

Darold enjoyed hunting, fishing, canning, cooking, gardening, and was an all around handy man. Darold was an avid sports fan especially for the Newman Knights, Iowa Hawkeyes, Iowa State Baseball Team, where his son Jon played. Darold was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church, St. Joseph Men's Club, St. Joseph Parish Council, Newman Board of Education, Newman Booster Club, Knights of Columbus, Mason City Noon Lions, V.F.W., and a Leader of the Boy Scouts of America Winnebago Council. His greatest enjoyment was spending time with family and friends. Darold is survived by his wife Virginia Juhlin, of Mason City, children, Dr. Jerry (Fran) Juhlin, of Mason City, Jeanne (Dennis) Vrba, of Mason City, Dr. James (Rhonda) Juhlin, of Clear Lake, Dr. Jon (Caty) Juhlin, of Cedar Falls, Janis (James) Wellington, of Colorado Spring Colorado, grandchildren, Dr. Todd (Janae) Juhlin, Timothy (Susan) Juhlin, Dr. Theresa Juhlin, Marcey (Christopher) Hand, Mary Jo Vrba, Mark Vrba, Erin Juhlin, Kerry Juhlin, Molly Juhlin, J.P. Juhlin, great grandchildren, Zachary Juhlin, and Derek, Brandon, and Luke Hand, brother, Roland (Ardyth) Juhlin, of Fairmont, Minnesota, sister, Gretta Brahm, of Kettering, Ohio, along with several nieces, nephews, and friends. Darold is preceded in death by his parents Oscar and Grethen Juhlin along with several brothers in law and sisters in law."


Obituary, Virginia Ann Chute Juhlin

Virginia Ann Juhlin, 84, of Mason City, died Friday (July 20, 2007) at the IOOF Home in Mason City.

A funeral mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, July 23, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 302 Fifth St. S.E. in Mason City, with the Rev. Craig E. Steimel officiating. Burial will be in the Elmwood-St. Joseph Cemetery in Mason City.

Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday at the Hogan-Bremer-Moore Colonial Chapel, 126 Third St. N.E., with a scriptural wake service at 7 p.m.

The family of Virginia Ann Juhlin has requested that memorial contributions be made to St. Joseph Catholic Church in Mason City or the retirement fund for the Sisters of Presentation in Dubuque in her memory.

Virginia Ann Juhlin was born on July 11, 1923, in Mason City, the daughter of Thomas and Nora (Kelly) Chute. Virginia attended and graduated from St. Joseph Catholic High School in Mason City. After completing her schooling she worked for the State Brand Creamery in Mason City where she met her future husband, Darold Juhlin.

She was united in marriage to Darold O. Juhlin on April 15, 1942, at the St. Joseph Catholic Church in Mason City, and to this union five children was born. Darold preceded her in death on Dec. 14, 2005.

After their marriage Virginia was a stay-at-home mom for several years taking care of her family. Virginia later did volunteer work for the hot lunch program at the St. Joseph Catholic School. She began her career working as a nurse's aide for St. Joseph Hospital, and as a surgical assistant for Park Hospital, and continued to work in the surgery department for North Iowa Medical Center, and until her retirement was an assistant for the anesthesiologists at Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa.

She enjoyed sewing, ceramics, canning fruits and vegetables, gardening, and fishing, was a sports enthusiast for Newman Catholic High School, and was an avid Hawkeye fan, wintering in Phoenix and Apache Junction, Ariz., but her greatest love and enjoyment was her family, grandchildren, and her loving dog, Bridgette.

Virginia was very active in her church at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Mason City and was a member of the church circle, Newman Boosters and auxiliary, and was also a member of the Mason City Country Club.

Left to cherish her memory are her children, Dr. Jerry (Fran) Juhlin of Mason City, Jeanne (Dennis) Vrba of Mason City, Dr. James (Rhonda) Juhlin of Clear Lake, Dr. Jon (Caty) Juhlin of Cedar Falls, and Janis (James) Wellington of Colorado Springs, Colo.; 10 grandchildren, Dr. Todd (Janae) Juhlin of Mason City, Timothy (Susan) Juhlin of Tallahassee, Fla., Dr. Theresa Juhlin of Middleton, Wis., Marcey (Christopher) Hand of Cedar Falls, Mary Jo Vrba of Mason City, Mark Vrba of Mason City, Erin Juhlin of Iowa City, Kerry Juhlin of Coralville, Molly Juhlin of Cedar Falls, and J.P. Juhlin of Cedar Falls; five great-grandchildren, Zachary Juhlin, Derek, Brandon, and Luke Hand, and Camden Juhlin; a brother, Robert (Mary Jean) Chute, of Naples, Fla.; a brother-in-law, Roland (Ardyth) Juhlin, of Fairmont, Minn.; and a sister-in-law, Greta Brahm, of Kettering, Ohio; as well as many nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.

She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, Darold O. Juhlin; brothers, Gerald (Esther) Chute, Jerome (Ireta) Chute, Kenneth (Marvel) Chute, Edward (Agnes) Chute, Harold (Betty Lou) Chute, Merle Chute who died in infancy, and Donald (Alberta) Chute; sisters, Lucille (Cedric) Connoll, Sister Jeanne Marie "Margaret" Chute, and Marie Chute.


Note    N92-1787         Back to Index        Back to Vernon James Chute, Sr. and Agnes Etheridge Faulk Chute.

Notes on Vernon James Chute, Sr. and Agnes Etheridge Faulk Chute:

Correspondence with George M. Chute, Jr.
Macon, Georgia
Sept 13, 1966

Dear Mr. Chute

I am sorry I haven't mailed you the information you wanted. I had to write to Woodrow's wife for the information, for I cannot remember dates or names. Edna gave all the children's names and who they married, except Woodrow, Jr. He is married and has a fine wife, but all I know is that her name is Paula.

My birthday is April 24, 1911.

My family - I married Agnes Faulk, a widow with four children. I have two of my own, which are grown now. I will name all my step- children:

Alice Jenett, born [Private]
Married Watson Lemon? [partially illegible] Odom

Married William Earnest Dupree
John Daniel, botn Aug 25, 1938
Died Nov 27, 1959
Doris Jean, born [Private]
Married Arthur Edward Foster

My children:
Leon Elbert, born [Private]
Married Donna Jean Copeland
Verson James, III, born [Private]

Since [illegible] is not living, I would love to have a copy of the page of the George Tupper Chute family. I have talked to my father and he doesn't remember any of his brothers' children. He had a brother named George, said he had been dead a long time. If you are his son1, and would like to write to my father, his address is: A.E. Chute, Houston Halls, Perry Georgia.

Yours truly,

V.J. Chute

1My grandfather was the son of George Maynard Chute, and not George Tupper Chute. My grandfather's notation on this letter was, "Answered Oct 1, 1966. Sent copy of Tupper, p. 22", and I assume he cleared up the misunderstanding in his reply.


Note    N92-1788         Back to Index        Back to Rupert James Chute and Lelia J. Robinson Chute.

Notes on Rupert James Chute and Lelia J. Robinson Chute:

"Comrade Chute, one of the youngest of Massachusetts veterans, went to the front as "Captain's boy" with Captain Knott Martin, a Minute Man of Marblehead; afterwards enlisted as drummer in Company B, Seventh Regiment, M.V.M., and served to the end of his term. He is a member of Post-60-G-A-R of Franklin; of the Boston Veteran Fusiliers, and is one of the editorial staff of the Boston Transcipt."

Source for biographical text and photos: History and complete roster of the Massachusetts regiments, minute men of '61 who responded to the first call of President Abraham Lincoln, April 15, 1861, to defend the flag and Constitution of the United States ... and biographical sketches of minute men of Massachusetts, George W. Nason. Publisher: Boston, Mass., Smith & McCance, 1910. Page 262. Information contributed by Ralph Osgood, 20 NOV 2002.

Rupert James Chute, obituary

The students of Franklin Highschool in Franklin, Massachusetts, researched the Civil War and its impact on the soldiers from Massachusetts and posted the research results on the Franklin Civil War Page. One of the soldiers they researched was Rupert James Chute. Their research as to the manner of his death, although entertaining, doesn't quite coincide with the media version, pubished in the Hartford Courant (right). Nonetheless, kudos to the students at Franklin Highschool for their work:

"Welcome to the Town of Franklin's Civil War Page! This site is dedicated to exploring Franklin's role in the Civil War. All of the research for this site was performed by students at Franklin High School. To date, our research has uncovered at least 124 residents of Franklin who fought in the war.

Rupert J. Chute born March 7,1848, lived in Canada and the moved to Salem Massachusetts. Prior to the civil war he worked as a tinsmith and then joined the army to fight for the union. His Parents were Isaiah and Priscilla Chute, Rupert married Lelia Robinson in 1867 had three kids two with Lelia and one with another women and was divorced on grounds of adultery in April 1878. During the war Rupert was in the 8th regiment C Company and was the captain�s boy. Later he was reend as the drummer boy. His death date not known but he died in Salem Ma. Youngest of the Massachusetts vets, went to the front as "Captain's boy". Signed as a drummer boy in Co B, 7th MVM there were many parts to the 8th regiment there was the infantry which was the men fighting on the field face to face and then you had the artillery they would stay way back and fire cannons at the enemy to kill them and to keep them from over running there headquarters Rupert was in the infantry unit and was a very successful fighter he was very liked by the captain so he became the captains boy he would run errands for the captain and tell the other leaders vital information on the strategies of the battles and where the battles were going to be, just incase they needed reinforcements. After the war he went to live with his parents on a farm in Salem because he went abrupt and could not afford to pay taxes on his house, soon he would die of consumption and his death date is not known."

Again, please consider the Hartford Courant's version a more accurate version of his manner of death. Thanks.


Note    N92-1789         Back to Index        Back to Patrick Francis Baldwin and Eileen ("Mac") Sweeney Baldwin.

Notes on Patrick Francis Baldwin and Eileen ("Mac") Sweeney Baldwin:

Biographical details submitted by Eileen Philomena ("Mena") Lonergan:


Eileen Baldwin known as Mac to family and friends ran a ladies boutique in Main Street Carrick-on-suir and was a keen golfer and president of Carrick-on-Suir ladies team.


Note    N92-1790         Back to Index        Back to James R. Grant, Sr., Paul Beattie and Elizabeth Belle Chute Grant Beattie.

Notes on James R. Grant, Sr., Paul Beattie and Elizabeth Belle Chute Grant Beattie:

Elizabeth Chute Grant Beattie, Obituary
Elizabeth Belle Chute Grant Beattie. Photo courtesy of the Burlington Free Press.

"ELIZABETH GRANT BEATTIE HYDE PARK - Elizabeth Grant Beattie, 88, died peacefully surrounded by her loving family on Saturday, March 7, 2009, in Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington. She was born on July 4, 1920, in Bucksport, Maine, the daughter of William Elwin and Nellie (Colby) Chute. Elizabeth was a devoted mother, grandmother and wife. She always looked forward to spending time with her family, especially enjoying the large family gatherings on the 4th of July to celebrate her birthday together with those of several children and grandchildren. For nearly four decades and through the time of her demise, Elizabeth served as a licensed real estate broker. She will be remembered as the principal and founder of Grant Realty & Associates and Green Mountain Business Brokers with offices in Stowe and Hyde Park. Elizabeth was a graduate of the Real Estate Institute and served as the President of the Lamoille Area Board of Realtors and as a Director of the Vermont State Association of Realtors. She was a member for many years of the Stowe Rotary. She was proud to have mentored other realtors, including her son James Grant; stepson Jeff Beattie; and associate and friend Brad Benedict. Prior to working in real estate, Elizabeth was the Registrar of the Lamoille County Probate Court for approximately five years. She attended Husson College in Bangor, Maine and the Universities of Maryland, Maine and Tehran (Iran). Elizabeth served on the Lamoille County Diversion Board for a number of years and took a special interest in the problems and challenges of adolescents. She was also a member of the Hyde Park Historical Society and the Hyde Park Village Improvement Society. Over her life, Elizabeth enjoyed both sewing and playing the piano.

She is survived by her husband of 25 years, Paul Beattie; her children, James R. Grant Jr., Ret. Lt. Col, USAF and his wife Vicki of Hyde Park and Key West, Fla., Elizabeth J. Grant, Esq. and her husband Stephen G. Norten, Esq. of Montpelier, and Jefferson C. Grant of Eden; stepchildren, Jeff Beattie and wife Susan of Hyde Park and Mary Beattie of Morrisville; a sister, Judith Chute Murray and husband Irving of Church Hill, Tenn.; grandchildren, Heather Parker and husband Dr. Paul Parker, M.D., Steffan Trombley and husband Ryan, Elizabeth Childress, Jonathan Rome, Esq. and wife Elizabeth Rome, Esq., Andrew Rome, Chloe Norten, Daniel Rome, William Norten, Colby Grant, Tucker Grant, Maria Beattie, Jameson Beattie and Paul Beattie; seven beloved great-grandchildren; as well as several special nieces and nephews. She will be greatly missed by her family. Elizabeth was predeceased by her parents; her first husband James R. Grant Sr.; siblings, Charlie Chute, Celia McLaughlin, Beryle Knowles and Walter Chute; and a daughter-in-law, Sharon Byrne Grant. Memorial services will be held on Saturday, March 14, 2009, at 2 p.m. in the 2nd Congregational Church in Hyde Park with a reception to follow. Interment will be at the convenience of the family in Jedediah Hyde Cemetery. White-Fiess Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Contributions may be made to the 2nd Congregational Church, Restoration Fund, P.O. Box 216, Hyde Park, VT 05655.

Source: Obituaries, Elizabeth Grant Beattie - Burlington Free Press - Mar/10/2009


Note    N92-1791         Back to Index        Back to John Pease, Sr. and Ann Cummings Pease.

Notes on John Pease, Sr. and Ann Cummings Pease:

"John Pease2 (Robert1), the ancestor of the Enfield Peases, was the second son of Robert and Marie ( ) Pease, first of England and last of Salem, Mass. He was probably born in England, about 1630, and came to this country when a lad. The first notice we have of him is found in the fort records at Salem, in the settlement of his father's estate, under date of August 27, 1644. From that time until his death we have no difficulty in tracing his history.

He appears to have been a favorite of his grandmother, Margaret Pease, as shown by her will, which was brought into court, soon after action was taken in the settlement of his father's estate. It seems probably that he may have been adopted by his grandmother, before his father's decease. She doubtless had full authority for placing him in the care of Thomas Watson, to dispose of him as his own child, rendering it unnecessary for the court to take any action in relation to his custody, as in the case of his older brother.

He married, first, Mary Goodell, daughter of Robert Goodell of Salem, who died January 5, 1669, three days after the birth of her fifth child. He married, second, Ann Cummings, daughter of Isaac Cummings, of Topsfield, Mass. December 8, 1669, who died at Enfield, June 29, 1689. He settled as a "yeoman" in that part of Salem called "Northfields", which is now within the city limits, although in a farming district.

We find this ancestor's name frequently in the Essex County and Salem Town records, as grantee, grantor of a witness, in deeds, overseer of wills, constable, etc. He was made freeman, April 29, 1668, by the General Court, and took the oath before the County Court, June 30, following. He joined the First Church at Salem, to which his father and grandmother had belonged, July 4, 1667. "October 6, 1681, on sacrament day, John Pease and wife, had a letter of recommendation granted to the church at Springfield" (Church records). Not far from this last date it is supposed he with his family, his two eldest sons' families and numerous neighbors removed to Fresh Water Brook, then a part of Springfield, where he and his two oldest sons had had land granted them, July 23, of the year previous. We find him back at Salem, November 1682, where he sold his "house, barn and out-buildings and parcels of land" and acknowledged the deed, he was "late of Salem, now of Enfield". He was again there, February 26, 1683, to give evidence in a suit at law, involving a boundary line of land once owned and laid by his "father-in-law, Goodell". He then stated he was "aged about 53 years". In September 1684, he was appointed administrator on the estate of Lot Killam, a townsman of his, when in Salem and one of the first persons, it is said, who died at the "new settlement".

His relation to the church on his removal to Enfield was an active one, and he stood foremost to assist in maintaining the worship of God on the Sabbath, in the town of Enfield, after it became incorporated.

Our ancestor sickened in the midst of making preparations for building, and died "suddenly", July 8, 1689. Death made sad havoc in this family in short time; taking first the mother, ten days after the father. And one day after that a daughter.

His children by his first wife:

John, b. at Salem, May 30, 1654
Robert, b. at Salem, May 14, 1656
Mary, b. at Salem, Oct 8, 1658
Abraham, b. at Salem June 5, 1662
Jonathan, b. at Salem Jan 2, 1669

His children by his second wife:

James, b. at Salem, December 23, 1670
Isaac b. at Salem June 15, 1672
Abigail, b. at Salem Dec 15, 1675, d at Enfield Jul 9 1689.

Source: A Genealogical and Historical Record of the Descandants of John Pease, Sen., Last of Enfield, Conn., Compiled By Rev. David Pease and Austin S. Pease as Associate Editor. Samuel Bowes & Co., Printers, Springfield, Mass., 1869. Pages: 1-4


Note    N92-1792         Back to Index        Back to Deacon Isaac Pease and Mindwell Osborn Pease.

Notes on Deacon Isaac Pease and Mindwell Osborn Pease:

"Deacon Isaac Pease3 (John2, Robert1), the sixth and youngest son of John, Sr. and Ann Cummings Pease, born at Salem, July 15, 1672. He married Mindwell Osborn, 1691 and settled in the north-eastern part of Enfield, not far from what is now the Shaker Village. He appears to have been an extensive landholder, and was among the first holding the office of Deacon in the Congregational Church in that town. He died July 9, 1731, aged 59, nearly. His grave and tombstone are to be seen in good condition in the burying ground, north of the central meeting-house in Enfield."

Source: A Genealogical and Historical Record of the Descandants of John Pease, Sen., Last of Enfield, Conn., Compiled By Rev. David Pease and Austin S. Pease as Associate Editor. Samuel Bowes & Co., Printers, Springfield, Mass., 1869. Pages: 9-10.


Note    N92-1793         Back to Index        Back to Deacon Cummings Pease and Sarah Hale Pease.

Notes on Deacon Cummings Pease and Sarah Hale Pease:

"Deacon Cummings Pease4 (Isaac3, John2, Robert1), youngest son of Deacon Isaac and Mindwell Osborn Pease, was born at Enfield, November 15, 1715; married, first Elizabeth, daughter of John Pease of Enfield, about 1737; second, Sarah Hale of Springfield, Mass, September 25, 1755, and settled in Enfield. His farm was on Fresh Water Brook, about two and a half miles east of what is now Thompsonville. He became a subject of hopeful piety when about 30 years of age, and after a long and painful struggle in his mind about a practical duty in making a profession he yielded to his conviction of Scriptural teaching, and, notwithstanding he stood alone in his views, was immersed upon the profession of his faith. This was the beginning of a Baptist church in the east part of Enfield, of which he was a Deacon. This church continued until broken up by the movement of the Shakers in that part of this town. He died in East Longmeadow, 1808, aged 94."

Source: A Genealogical and Historical Record of the Descandants of John Pease, Sen., Last of Enfield, Conn., Compiled By Rev. David Pease and Austin S. Pease as Associate Editor. Samuel Bowes & Co., Printers, Springfield, Mass., 1869. Pages: 21-22.


Note    N92-1794         Back to Index        Back to Heman Pease, Hannah Ward Pease and Roxanna Davis Pease.

Notes on Heman Pease, Hannah Ward Pease and Roxanna Davis Pease:

"Heman Pease5 (Deacon Cummings4, Isaac3, John2, Robert1) son of Deacon Cummings and Sarah Hale Pease, was born at Enfield, 1757; married Hannah Ward, daughter of Benjamin Ward of Somers, Ct., July 10, 1783; married second Roxanna Davis of Longmeadow, Mass. He first settled in Enfield, but subsequently removed to Longmeadow, where he died. He served in the Revolutionary War, in the capacity of a musician."

Source: A Genealogical and Historical Record of the Descandants of John Pease, Sen., Last of Enfield, Conn., Compiled By Rev. David Pease and Austin S. Pease as Associate Editor. Samuel Bowes & Co., Printers, Springfield, Mass., 1869. Pages: 50-51.


Note    N92-1795         Back to Index        Back to Pliny Pease and Hannah Fox Pease.

Notes on Pliny Pease and Hannah Fox Pease:

"Pliny Pease6 (Heman5, Deacon Cummings4, Isaac3, John2, Robert1), second son of Heman and Hannah Ward Pease was born at Enfield, October 20, 1787; married Hannah Fox of Bristol, N.Y. January 1, 1824, and first settled at Bristol, after which he removed and settled at Cannon, Michigan, where he died, January 8, 1862, aged 75 years, in the tope and joy of the religion of Jesus, which he professed in the days of his youth in New England. His children were:

Achsah S., b. at Bristol, October 24, 1824. m. William Smith, March 28, 1849.
Hannah., b. at Wolcott, August 8, 1827. m. Joseph Pines [sic.], November 19. 1853. (*This is incorrect. She married Joseph Sander Pino. While �pino� is indeed the Spanish and Italian word for �pine�, Pease may have simply misread the record when transcribing.)
Abigail A., b. at Bristol, December 7, 1832.
Frances D., b. at Canadice, March 14, 1845.

Source: A Genealogical and Historical Record of the Descandants of John Pease, Sen., Last of Enfield, Conn., Compiled By Rev. David Pease and Austin S. Pease as Associate Editor. Samuel Bowes & Co., Printers, Springfield, Mass., 1869. Pages: 136-137.


Note    N92-1796         Back to Index        Back to Asa Bradford Waters and Annette Searle Howes Waters.

Notes on Asa Bradford Waters and Annette Searle Howes Waters:

"Asa Bradford Waters, son of Asa and Kesia Paddock Richmond Waters, was born in Watervliet, N.Y., Oct. 26, 1818 and married Annette Searl Howes, Dec. 28, 1847. She was born at Madison, Ind., Sep 1827 and is the daughter of John Howes, M.D., born in Tolland, Conn. He went to Madison, Indiana, among the first settlers of that place, and died there in 1836 at the age of 52 years, greatly respected and beloved by all who knew him.

Her mother was Eliza Hale, born at Byfield, Mass., in 1801. She married Dr. John Howes in 1826, and died May 24, 1829, after an illness of about two weeks. She was the daughter of Deacon Daniel Hale of Newbury, Mass., whose wife was Betsey Chute, born in 1776, daughter of Deacon James Chute, born Feb. 16, 1751. [Reprint of THE CHUTE FAMILY, from Thurston Genealogies, Lionel Chute through Deacon James Chute follows].

Asa B. Waters left Pittsburgh in June 1836, and went to Columbus, O.; from there he came to Marietta in Nov. 1840. July 4th, 1844, he entered into partnership with Noah L. Wilson at Harmar, in the mercantile firm of Wilson and Waters; in Jan. 1846, the firm became A. B. and I. R. Waters, at Marietta; and in 1847-8 it again changed to Wilson and Waters and afterwards to A. B. Waters. It was at his suggestion that shipbuilding was revived at Marietta in 1844 and the firm of A. B. abd I. R. Waters was one of those which formed the Ship Building Company, though they built, independently of that, the barque "John Farnum," of 249 1/2 tons. Her keel was laid in the Spring of 1846 and she was launched in February 1847.

She was towed at once to Portsmouth, where she took on a cargo of Indian corn. She was measured, inspected and cleared at Louisville, Ky. Her destination was "Cork or a Port". Capt. Asa B. Waters had charge of the vessel and cargo, with Captain Geo. Hatch as Navigator. She arrived at Cork in May, 1847, during the Great Famine in Ireland; returned to Philadelphia and was sold there.

In November 1855 he went to Zaleski, where he was engaged with the Zaleski Co. as Assistant Manager. In the Spring of 1858 he went to Chillicothe and in March 1861, removed to Cincinnati. For about ten years, 1658-1868, he was connected with the Marietta and Cincinnati R. R., being General Freight Agent and Local Agent at Cincinnati and also General Agent for the Road. In November 1868 he went again to Zaleski and in March 1870, returned to Marietta and for a time was Secretary and Treasurer of the Ohio River Stone Co. In 1872 he went to Cincinnati to organize the Transportation Department of the Board of Trade of that city, and accomplished the desires of the Board, and remained there sixteen months, leaving his family at Marietta during that time. Since 1875 he has been Cashier for the Bank of Marietta.

In 1862, he became an Elder in the Poplar Street Presbyterian Church, Cincinnati and in 1872 an Elder in the 4th Street Presbyterian Church, Marietta. In 1877 he was elected a Deacon in the Congregational Church, Marietta and still retains that office."

Source: Ancestry of the Waters Family of Marietta Ohio, Wilson Waters, Privately Printed, 1882, pages 13-14.


Note    N92-1797         Back to Index        Back to Howard T. Peterson and Elva B. Zwicker Peterson.

Notes on Howard T. Peterson and Elva B. Zwicker Peterson:

I'm unsure of the source for the marriage of Howard T. Peterson and Elva B. Zwicker Peterson, which is recorded in the 57 Varieties Family Database. This database records Elva as marrying Howard in 1914 at the age of sixteen, giving birth to daughter Elva Peterson in 1915 and then dying in 1915, probably in childbirth, or resulting complications. However, the 1920 Census still reflects Elva, aged 22, as living with her parents in their home in Arlington and working as an office clerk. In the same census, we find a Howard Peterson living in the house next door with his father Hans, a daughter Elva, aged 4, and describing himself as "widowed". More confirmation that this relationship existed at all is needed.


Note    N92-1798         Back to Index        Back to Robert William Chute and Christine Zealley Chute.

Notes on Robert William Chute and Christine Zealley Chute:

Robert William Chute is the owner of the Robert W. Chute Travel Agency in Woodbury Heights, New Jersey:

Robert W Chute
617 Elm Ave
Woodbury Heights, New Jersey 08097-1421
Company Overview
Line Of Business: Travel Agency
Estimated Annual Sales: $920,000
Estimated # of Employees: 5
Year Founded: 1960
Estimated Employees for This Location: 5


Note    N92-1799         Back to Index        Back to William Chute, son of James P. Chute, Jr. and Mary Ann Snyder Chute.

Notes on William Chute, son of James P. Chute, Jr. and Mary Ann Snyder Chute:

In 1867, the Meigs County Telegraph of Meigs County, Ohio reported the following story, which also appeared in the Athens Messenger:

Meigs County Telegraph
January 31, 1867

"Murder in Athens County"

"On Friday last in Troy Township, in this county, while a man named Enoch TAYLOR and his son were cutting wood on Taylor's place, about two miles from the Ohio River, a neighbor named CHOOTS, and his son William, a young man of twenty, came up and a quarrel ensued about the cutting of the wood. In the course of the quarrel they came to blows, when the older Taylor seized an ax and struck the young Choots once or twice over the left shoulder, from the wounds of which he died in about eight hours. Taylor made no attempt to escape, was arrested by Constable David DAVIS, taken before Esq. W.G. BOYD, by whom he was committed to the county jail. Taylor's son was also arrested. Taylor claims that the blow was given in self-defense, that Choots had a slung shot in his hand. Taylor is about forty years of age. An examining Court has been called for this case and will be held on Saturday next at the office of the Probate Judge.-- [Athens Messenger]"

In the next record of this story, the reporter could not choose which surname to use. He has dispensed with "CHOOTS" and now vascillates between "Chute" and "Chutes".

Meigs County Telegraph
February 7, 1867

"The Athens County Murder"

"An examining court, to inquire into the circumstances of the late murder in Troy Township, Athens County, came off in Athens on Saturday, of last week, before Hon. C. MORRIS, Probate Judge. The Messenger says that some six witnesses were produced and examined on behalf of the State, the principal ones being James CHUTES and wife, parents of the deceased. They were subjected to an elaborate and scorching cross-examination by General GROVENOR. It is claimed by the friends of Chute that he owned certain timber on a small lot of land in Troy Township, Athens County, and that the Taylors on the day of the affray, had began to remove it, and that the Chutes, father and son, approached them while at work, intending only to remonstrate and claim the timber; that the Taylors ordered them off the land, and before time was given to comply, Enoch Taylor attacked young Chute with an ax, furnished by the younger Taylor, and struck him a fatal blow. By the friends of the Taylors it is said that the land was owned by Taylors, and they were peacefully at work, chopping off the timber, as they had a right to do; that Chute and his father attempted to drive them off, and that young Chute struck at the elder Taylor with a murderous weapon, and Taylor, in self-defense, gave the fatal blow. "The Probate Court fixed the bail of Enoch at $1,000 and William $500." All the parties to the case resided in Olive Township, Meigs County, but the affray which ended in the death of Chute occurred in Athens County."

By the time the final installment airs, the surname is now "Chute"; no mention of "CHOOTS" or "CHUTES".

Meigs County Telegraph
July 18, 1867

"The Athens County Murder"

Enoch TAYLOR, of Athens County, who it will be remembered, killed a man by the name of William CHUTE, of this county, with an ax, some six months since, was tried for the act at the recent term of the Court of Common Pleas, at Athens, and convicted of manslaughter. A motion was made by Chute's counsel, Messrs. Grosvenor & Dana and Brown & Wildes, for a new trial [presumeably they objected to the charge of "manslaughter" and not "murder"], but when the last Messenger was issued, a decision had not been rendered."

[All transcripts courtesy of Cheryl Hartley]


Note    N92-1800         Back to Index        Back to David Lawrence Chute, and Judith Muriel Hester Chute.

Notes on David Lawrence Chute, and Judith Muriel Hester Chute:

Obituary, David Lawrence Chute

DAVID LAWRENCE CHUTE March 6, 1931-Jan. 30, 2008
David Lawrence Chute, 76, of Escondido died Wednesday. He was born in Bombay, India, and was a social worker. He served in the Marine Corps.
Survivors include his daughters, Ann Chute-Jacobs of Escondido and Jessica Chute of Boone, N.C.; sons, Jonathan Chute of Palos Verdes and Richard Chute of Claremont; sisters, Marion Malcolm and Margaret Miller; and seven grandchildren.
Services: 11 a.m. Monday, Hope United Methodist Church, 16550 Bernardo Heights Parkway, San Diego.
Donations: Hope United Methodist Church, 16550 Bernardo Heights Parkway, San Diego, CA 92128; or Kairos Ministries of San Diego, P.O. Box 27836, San Diego, CA 92198-1836.
Arrangements: Alhiser-Comer Mortuary.

San Diego Union Tribune
February 2, 2008

David Lawrence Chute '53, virtually all of whose working life was devoted to public-agency social work, was born on March 6, 1931, in Bombay, India. The son of Gordon M., a chemist, and Marion Beman Chute, he grew up in Leonia, NJ, where he was graduated from Leonia High School in 1949. Dave Chute came to College Hill that fall and joined Tau Kappa Epsilon, in which, as a self-described "odd-ball and semi-reject," he was made to feel at home. In early 1952, however, during the Korean conflict, he withdrew from the College to enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps. He served for three years and attained the rank of sergeant. Thereafter he returned to the Hill, resumed his studies, "typed incessantly to loud Beethoven" in the TKE house, according to The Hamiltonian, and earned election to Phi Beta Kappa.

Following his graduation with honors in English literature in 1957, Dave Chute "drifted" for a year. He then found employment as a psychiatric social worker at Kings Park (NY) State Hospital, and there met Judith M. Hester, a student nurse. They were married on Long Island on August 8, 1959. In future years Dave looked back on their chance encounter as the kind hand of fate, for Judy became "the engine of our family life."

During the ensuing years, Dave Chute, who had taken courses at the Adelphi College School of Social Work, was employed in the fields of mental hygiene, child welfare, and corrections. It was work, he later remarked, "that I sought to challenge my weaknesses rather than those that might have exploited my strengths." After he left the Kings Park State Hospital in 1964, the Chutes settled down in California, where Dave became a child welfare worker for Los Angeles County and in 1966 a correctional counselor at the California Rehabilitation Center in Corona. He was subsequently for 10 years a probation and hearing officer with the San Diego County Probation Department until his retirement in 1982. For him, such work "had been a kind of existential therapy, for which, somewhat incidentally, I got paid."

Dave Chute, who continued to be occupied part-time as a park ranger at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, and later as an elementary teacher in the public schools of Escondido, where he resided, also volunteered as a counselor to inmates in the California penal system. In addition, he was active in his Methodist church and its prison ministry, Kainos. His favorite leisure activity was writing, and especially "autobiographical fiction." The writing often consisted of a novelized version of his romance with his wife, for "my adulthood began when we married and went into limbo in 1994, when she died."

David L. Chute's life in "limbo" ended on January 30, 2008. He is survived by two sons, Jonathan H. and Richard M. Chute; two daughters, Ann Chute-Jacobs and Jessica M. Chute; and seven grandchildren and two sisters.

Source: Hamilton Alumni Review Online
Hamilton College
Hamilton College | 198 College Hill Road | Clinton, NY 13323

Previous Page
Next Page