Solomon Cligid Layman
Solomon Cligid Layman was the eighth child born to Jeremiah L. and Mary Ellizabeth Layman. He was born 25 Sep. 1850 in Kentucky.
It is thought that Solomon came to Arkansas in 1874 at age 24, after being in Missouri for a short period of time. He married Martha Stophal Myers on 24 June 1875 in Franklin County, Arkansas. Franklin County census records show that in 1900, Solomon Cligid Layman and Martha Stophal Myers (Mattie) Layman had been married 25 years, which would have been about 1875 that they married. From family bible records, we know that his father died 18 January 1876, and his mother died 12 October 1876, which would indicate that both families migrated to Arkansas before their marriage.
Solomon and Mattie Layman had a family of ten children, three sons and seven daughters, namely:
1. David T. Layman born 1876 AR (married Maudie I. Carpenter)
2. A. Luther Layman born 1878 AR (married Ella Hewett)
3. Lizzie Kate Layman born 1881 AR AR (married Griss Dooly)
4. Hershel Layman born 1883 AR (married Minnie Herriman)
5. Nellie O. Layman born 1885 AR (married Wesley Fry)
6. Martha Ann "Patsy" Layman born 26 June 1888 AR (married Ernest Eli Hamilton)
7. Brittie Mae Layman born 1891 AR (married June Dooly)
8. Lee Alice Layman born 1893 AR (married Ed Taylor 1910 AR)
9. Lillie V. Layman born 1897 AR (married Paul Sanders 1914 AR)
10. Ruby Vernon Layman born 1899 AR (married J. Newton Kaylor 1921)
The 1900 census was the first record where their names appeared and they were living in Big Creek Township, Sebastian County, Arkansas at that time. The oldest child, Dave, was not listed because he was already married and not living in that household. The family lived in several locations in this area farming, mainly cotton.
This page is dedicated to Ruby Vernon Layman Kaylor, known to my family as simply Aunt Vernon. Much of the Layman family information came from Aunt Vernon and her daughter Joy, whom I had the priviledge of meeting in 1996. Aunt Vernon lived to the age of 99 years old. She died 5 Dec, 1998 in Muskogee, Oklahoma, and is buried at Forest Park Cemetery, Fort Smith, Arkansas. She was a wonderful woman, and will be missed greatly.