Buena Vista County Wills and Probate
Last Will and Testament of John Lemp
I, John Lemp, of the town of Newell, county of Buena Vista, and state of Iowa, being of sound and disposing mind, do make, publish and declare this to be my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made.
1. I desire all my debts including the expenses of my last sickness and burial be paid.
2. I give, devise and bequeath to my son-in-law, Lars Larson, the one leather chair of mine which I received from my daughter, Millie, as a birthday present.
3. I hereby give, devise and bequeath to my beloved wife, Ida Ann Lemp, all the use and income and earnings of all my property, real or personal of which I may died seized, during the term of her natural life, the second devise hereinbefore mentioned being excepted and she to receive the use and income and earnings as hereinafter set out, the control of said property to be hereinafter provided.
4. Upon the death of my wife and subject to her life use hereinbefore granted, I do hereby devise and bequeath to my daughters Millie Larson, Cora E. Moulton, Eliza B. Bailie, Mary E. Reed and Anna G. Witcraft, the south east quarter of section 18, township 90, range 34 west of the fifth P.M., being about one hundred and seventy two acres, more or less, granting this land to my said five daughters and children, they to receive and take the title, share and share alike and equally in said land.
5. I hereby give, devise and bequeath to my grandson Marvin, son of my daughter Millie Larson, all that part of the northwest quarter of the above described section, being the west half of the northwest quarter of section eighteen, township ninety, range thirty four west of the fifth P.M. being ninety two acres more or less, granting this said gift to my said grandson because of the special feeling I have toward this particular grandchild.
6. That should my wife fail to take under the provisions of this will and elect to take her distributive share as provided by statute, then in that case I desire and do hereby give and bequeath to my said grandson, Marvin Larson, from my estate at the time of my death, the sum of ten thousand dollars, and I give, devise and bequeath the balance of my estate after the first bequest herein and the share of my wife has been taken out and the ten thousand dollars paid to my grandson, all the rest, residue and remainder to be equally divided between my five daughters, Millie Larson, Cora E. Moulton, Eliza B. Bailie, Mary E. Reed and Anna G. Witcraft.
7. That I hereby direct that George W. Chaney of Newell, Iowa, shall so long as my wife lives and survives me, continue to hold, manage and control all of my property real and personal, either as executor of this estate, or as trustee of said property should see fit to close said estate, granting to him control and management of said property during the said life of my wife, and directing him to pay all necessary expenses, repairs or other expenditures necessary in the management, care and protection of said property, and to turn over to my said wife the net income, earning and rents as she shall desire or need same, and should said Chaney act as trustee after this estate shall have been closed, then he may act as such trustee in the management of the property hereinbefore set out without giving bond and without reporting to the court as such trustee.
8. I hereby direct and will that should any of my children or heirs make any contest of this will or attempt in court to have the same set aside for any reason whatever, that the share which I have herein given to such child of which he would receive by reason of the bequest and devises I have herein made, shall therefore be voided and held for naught and the share of my estate as herein claimed of which would by reason of the bequest and devise herein given, go to such child or heir, shall be and is hereby given equally to my other children, if such child or its heirs shall so attempt to break this will, intending it an heir other than my own children should take such action the share which they would receive by reason of this will shall not go to such child or his parents or heirs.
I hereby name and appoint George W. Chaney of Newell, Iowa, as executor of this my last will and testament and direct that he shall act without bond.
In testimony whereof I have set my hand this 9th day of April, 1917.
Edgar E. Mack
Guy E. Mack