William J. Claghorn, also spelled Cleghorn, (1822-1878) was a free black businessman in Savannah, Georgia who in 1855 proposed an Episcopal mission for blacks, and offered the space above his bakery at the corner of Liberty and Habersham Streets as a meeting place. St. Stephen’s congregation first met there in January of 1856.
In 1846 Claghorn had obtained freedom for himself and his family, which included his wife Cornelia, and their daughter Mary Elizabeth. They had previously worshipped at the Episcopal mission on the Savannah River. Claghorn was also a caterer, and had several employees, including three white men. By 1860, he owned $4000 in real estate and $2000 in personal property. St. Stephen’s register of 1868 lists him as a resident of Bryan St. In 1872 he was among those who petitioned the school board to improve the education of blacks.
Source: African American Episcopalians
in Savannah: Strife, Struggle and Salvation, 1750-1995