the year 745, one Sulla stiled the
handmaid of Christ, gave seven Manors
to the Abbot of Glastonbury of which
one was Shapwick and they were called
the Abbot's Seven Sisters. These
are recorded in the Doomsday Book
under the name Shapwick.
On the 28th January
in the year 1329 AD, the Abbot
of Glastonbury applied to the
Bishop of Wells for permission
to remove the Shapwick Church
from the place now called Old
Church near Bearway Farm and to
build a new church in the village.
The Church of the
Blessed Mary at Shapwick was consecrated
on October 13th 1331, replacing
an earlier church located at a
different place in the village.
In 1861 the chancel
was restored and the roof and
nave completely overhauled and