Early Obituaries


B. C. Campbell died at his home in Aubrey, Tex., on Sunday, June 6 after an illness of three weeks. He leaves a wife and two children and many friends to mourn his loss. His high sense of honor and his consistent character have gained the respect and love of all who knew him. While our hearts are grieved at his departure, and we shall miss his kindly presence, yet we sorrow not as those who have no hope. His faith was strong and constant to the end and we can say with the song he had us sing, he as “passed over the river and is resting under the shade of the trees.” [McKinney Gazette, Vol. 10, No. 18, June 17, 1897.]

A Good Man Gone.
In the words of Longfellow:
There is a reaper whose name is Death,
And with his sickle keen.
He reaps the bearded grain at a breath,
And the flowers that grow between.
This time the bearded grain in the person of Mr. J. B. MITCHEL [sic] an old, well respected citizen of Collin county. Death claimed him at his home near Prosper, Texas, on June 28, 1899. Mr. MITCHELL [sic] was born on August 28, 1815 in Washington county, Ky., where in 1840, he was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Jane SMALLEY in whom he found a devoted, constant, loving companion. In 1880, with his wife and children, he removed to Collin county, Texas.
Here, The “Death Angel” soon laid his hand heavily, claiming his wife and two of his sons.
Four children crossed the river before him, six survive, mourning his loss, but with the consolation, that a good man has just “shuffled off this mortal coil.” All along the mourney, good reputation and character was his inheritance; since 1854, he has been a consistent, devoted member of the Christian church, and, since 1865, a master Mason in good standing.
By his death his children loose [sic] a tender, loving father; the community an exemplary citizen and a faithful friend. However, “He is not dead, but sleeping.” His passing was the most Peaceful and serene – only painlessly fell asleep–“Asleep in Jesus. Blessed sleep.” Having looked to Jesus at Clavary he is transplanted in Paradise.
At Bethany church near Plano, where he held his church membership, the Masonic fraternity laid to rest all that was mortal. The sympathetic tear was dropped by numerous relatives and friends, the evergreen, was deposited, the hym [sic] of praise was sung, and all were reminded that the Grand Master of the universe had called a workman from labor to refreshment; that a Christian had been summoned up higher. In this character a lesson expressed. In Thanatopsis has been graphically taught: So live, that when thy summons comes to join
The innumerable caravan that moves
To the pale realms of shade, where each shall take
His chamber in the silent halls of death,
Go thou not like the quarry slave at night,
Scourged to his dungeon but sustained and soothed
By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams. [Written by “A Friend” - July 4, 1899. From the McKinney Gazette, Vol. 12, No. 24, July 27, 1899] ADAM T. WILSON
Adam T. WILSON died at the home of John E. WILSON, McKinney, Texas, July 3, 1896. His death was the result of heart trouble from which he suffered greatly for several weeks before his death. The deceased was born Dec. 2, 1828. On Jan. 29, 1852 he was united in marriage to Miss Elnor PURCELL. Again on May 22, 1859, he was married to Miss Phoeba A. WHIPKEY. His third and last marriage was to Miss Ann E. MURPHY, March 5, 1871. She died Feb. 19, 1877. Thus for the third time he was left a widower, and remained so until the time of his death. The deceased was a faithful Union soldier.....

The subject of this sketch came to Collin county, Texas, from Illinois, Aug, 28, 1883. ...He followed the occupation of farming, seven miles east of McKinney, but for the last several years he was engaged in business in McKinney. ....He leaves two sons and one daughter to mourn his departure, namely: Thomas M. and John E. WILSON, and Mrs. M. C. GANTT......
[The Democrat, McKinney, Texas, July 9, 1896]

Tribute of Respect to his Memory by Eld. John M. McKinney.

John Wesley KIRBY died June 20, 1901, aged 83 years , at his home, 6 miles south of McKinney, where he settled 56 years ago. He had the day before his death a surveyor to come to his home and divide his land between his children and make deeds to them. The next morning as usual, he arose, ate breatfast about 7 o’clock and a short time after breakfast he started from one room to another and fell. After being carried and laid upon a bed, he only spoke two or three words and died in about ten minutes after that time.

He had been almost blind for some time and for two or three months had grown gradually worse until death relieved him. He was buried at the Fitzhugh cemetery June 21. The attendance at the funeral was very large. It was said by some that there had never been more people at the Fitzhugh cemetery at a burial. His funeral was preached by Eld. Gotcher, of Farmersville, a Primative Baptist. Elds. J. B. Faulkner, J. C. Lowry and the undersigned also made short talks.

The deceased was born in Green county, Tennessee, Oct. 10, 1817. He moved to Jackson county, Missouri, when he ws in his seventeenth year. He was married to Miss M. R. Fitzhugh April 2, 1837, and moved to Texas with his family in the year 1845. He professed a hope in Christ and joined the Primative Baptist church 45 years ago last May.

Uncle Wess, as he was familiarly called, was a good man in every respect. Always ready to do all he could for suffering humanity. The good old brother died in the triumphs of a living faith. The bible says Rev. 2:10 Be thou faithful until death and I will give thee a crown of life. Mathew 10:22, He that endureth to the end shall be saved. Hebrews, 4:9, There remaineth therefore, a rest for the people of God.

I came to Collin county in 1846 and lived in about 2 miles of Uncle Wess and Aunt Patsy Kirby for several years and in the same neighborhood 45 years. I often staid with them when I was a boy and they always treated me very kindly and I have the greatest respect for them and shall have as long as I live. God bless the bereaved old widow. They have four children and many grand-children and may these do all they can to comfort the good old mother and grandmother. [Written by Eld. Jno. M. McKinney, for The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., June 26, 1901.]

MARTHA J. PRUETT. (formerly Mrs. Richard Cantrell)
After a long siege of sickness, Martha J. Purett passed away June 21st, aged 74 years. She was born in Alabama. Professed religion and joined the Baptist church when she was 21 years old. She was one of the charter members of the Blue Ridge Baptist church and remained a member until her death. She was married to Richard Cantrell when she was about 15 years of age, three children were born to them.

After his death she was married to W. C. Pruett. Unto them were born seven children, all living except Mrs. J. C. Conner, who died a few months ago. She was a devoted Christian, a faithful wife, a good mother, a kind neighbor, always ready to help the needy when in distress. She gave ample testimony of her acceptance of the Lord. She was like one of the Bible women, it was said, “She did what she could”. [Written by Mary Lee for The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., July 4, 1901.]

On the 18th at 11:10 p.m. W. C. STANFORD bade farewell to earthly scenes and peacefully drifted out into the ocean of eternity. It is not worth while to discuss the moral worth of such a life for the large concourse of people who attended the funeral was sufficient evidence that his friends were legion. Uncle Billy as he was familiarly called, will be sadly missed, but let us hope that the sunset of our lives will be as calm and peaceful as his.

He leaves a wife and six children to mourn over his departure – Elmer and Marvin STANFORD of Memphis, Tex., Mrs. W. H. SMITH, of Durant, I. T., Mrs. B. C. CHILDRESS and W. K. STANFORD of Celina and Carl STANFORD of Climax. May God in his infinite mercy pour the healing balm of peace and consolation upon their wounded spirits and help them to meet the husband and father in that mansion not made by hands. ‘Tis religion that can give Sweetest pleasure while we live, ‘Tis religion must supply Solid comfort when we die.’ The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., July 4, 1901.]

A. G. (Good) GRAVES died Saturday morning at his home, two miles northwest of McKinney after a long period of ill health. The deceased was born in Missouri in 1839 and came to Texas, this county, in 18[unreadable]. At the breaking out of the civil war, he enlisted as a private in Company K, Sixth Texas Cavalry, Ross’ brigade, Gov. Throckmorton’s old company which was raised at McKinney. At the reorganization of the company at Corinth he became a lieutenant and soon rose to a captaincy.

After the war he returned to McKinney and married the sister of Jack and Thornt Shirley, who survives him. He was a son of the late Isaac Graves and a brother of Mesdames Col. R. DeARMOND and Capt. John H. BINGHAM. Mr. Graves was educated in the University of Virginia and was a man of superior intelligence. His remains were followed by a large concourse of sorrowing friends and relatives to Pecan Grove cemetery where the burial took place Sunday afternoon. [The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., July 4, 1901.]

John J. Cockrell, member of the feed store and wagon yard firm of Cockrell Bros., this city, died at his hime in South McKinney Thursday night of fever. The deceased was born in Clay county, Mississippi in 1859 and came to this county in 1886 where he resided since until his death, living in the Viney Grove community most of the time.

In 1888 he married Miss Mollie Recer, of New HOPE, who with their two children, Walter, aged 12 and Lou, aged 109 survive him. Three brothers also survive him, s. J. of Nus, Tex., Bob of Cairo, Clay county, Miss., and A. B. Cockrell, his partner in business of this city. The interment took place Friday in Stiff chapel graveyard, 6 miles northeast of town. [The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., July 18, 1901.]

Joe Price Killed. Mule Reared and Fell on Him Saturday Afternoon.
Joe Price, aged 18 years, son of John Price, who lives nine miles west of town, died at the family home Tuesday morning from the effects of injuries sustained by a mule falling on him Saturday afternoon.

It was yound Price’s intention to break the mule to the saddle, and while his father held the bits he mounted the animal, which immediately reared and fell backward, the saddle horn striking the unfortunate young man in the stomach and injuring him internally. ...His father at once saw that his son was seriously injured and dispatched a runner for a physician, but the injury was too great to be overcome by medical skill, and early Tuesday morning death came and relieved the young man’s sufferings.

Young Price was one of the best young men of that section and with his father had lived in that neighborhood for twelve or fifteen years, and the grief of his parents is almost unbearable.

The interment took place Tuesday afternoon at Warden graveyard, and was attended by Miss Belle Smith of this city, a relative of the family. [ The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., July 18, 1901, reprinted from the Van Alstyne Leader. ]

It becomes our sad duty to chronicle the death of Mrs. Carrie McKinney, wife of S. L. McKinney, which occurred last Friday morning at 4 o’clock. By this conqueror of our bodies a home is left desolate, a devoted husband sorely bereaved, and three children heart-broken. No death hs occurred in this community that has caused more universal sorrow.

Mrs. McKinney was 52 years of age and had lived in this community nearly all her life. She was a member of the Methodist church and a devoted and consecrated Christian. Funeral services were held at the Methodist church the services being conducted by that veteran minister, Rev. J. M. BINKLEY of Sherman, after which the remains were interred in Van Alstyne cemetery, being followed to the grave by one of the largest processions ever seen in this city. [The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., July 25, 1901.]

Mrs. Mollie Hill., a Widow Lady, Suicided in M’Kinney Last Night.
Weary of life’s burdens and cast down in despondency, Mrs. Mollie Hill, a widow woman aged about 40, sought surcease from her troubles in death by her own hands last night at her home just south of the old Persohn blacksmith shop in McKinney. The deceased purchased strychnine yesterday at Smith Bros. drug store with which she rashly ended her life. She supported herself and two little daughters by taking in washing and sewing and enjoyed the utmost respect of all her neighbors. At times she was very despondent and had intimated her intention of self-destruction. She had some near relatives, living near Allen who were notified and cam up to arrange for her funeral. [The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., July 25, 1901.]

MRS. DR. W. J. FINCH (formerly Elen E. Gibson)
Death Follows Brief Illness.
Mrs. Dr. W. J. Finch died Thursday evening, July 25, at 7 o’clock after a very brief illness at the family residence on College Hill. She had not been in good health for some time, but her critical illness was only of a day’s duration. The rupture of a blood vessle [sic] in her head, due to excessive heat, was the immediate cause of her death. The deceased, whose maiden name was Miss Elen E. Gibson, was born in Rankin, Mississippi, July 10, 1836, and was [2 lines are unreadable due to folding of paper].... She was [married?] [unreadable] 10, 1853 in Mississippi. In 1881 they came to Texas, settling at McKinney which has been their home since.

For thirty years she was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church. One child, ex-state senator Henry A. Finch, and her honored companion of 48 years survive to mourn her sudden demise. She was a devoted wife, affectionate mother, kind neighbor and a friend to all. Her death caused a pang of genuine sorrow to thrill the heart of every acquaintance when the sad news was announced.

Rev. Dr. Steen conducted the funeral services and the burial took place at 5 o’clock Friday evening in Pecan Grove cemetery in the presence of a large concourse of sorrowing friends. The Democrat joins in sympathy to the bereaved husband and son over the great loss that has befallen them. [The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., August 1, 1901].

Resolutions of Respect from the Ladies’ Society of the First Presbyterian church:
For the first time in many years, the angel of death has visited us and taken one of our best loved members, Mrs. Elizabeth Ellen Finch. She had served as our president a number of years and by her kind and gentle ways had endeared herself to every member of the society. Never more will we see her sweet face in our midst, but our loss is heaven’s gain.
Let us be patient: These severe afflictions
Not from the ground arise;
But oftimes celestial benedictions
Assume this dark disguise.
There is no death: What seems so is transition.
This life of mortal breath
Is but a suburb of the life elysian,
Whose portal we call death.

Our Heavenly Father doeth all things well and as he has seen fit to take from us our beloved sister, be it
Resolved. That we extend our sympathy to the bereaved family...
Resolved. That a copy of these resolutions be presented to the family and a copy to each of the city papers for publication. [Signed] Laura Pardue, Minnie Abbott.[The Democrat, McKinney, Tex., August 1, 1901.]

Young Man’s Death.
Tom Walker, aged 23, died July 26 of spinal meningitis at his father’s home at Madill, I. T., after a week’s illness. The deceased was a son of J. F. Walker; formerly a grocery merchant with Mate Barnett in McKinney where Tom resided for several years and had many friends. Tom was a printer, learning his trade in The Democrat office where he worked for several years. He was an industrious, honest boy and grew up to respected young manhood when the great destroyer marked him for its own. He was a brother of Silas Walker of this city who was notified by telegram and attended the funeral at Oakland, Indian Territory, Saturday. The Democrat sincerely mourns the death of one of its faithful attaches [sic] in years gone by.[The Democrat, McKinney Texas , August 1, 1901.

MRS. J. R. BERRY (formerly Allie Perkins)
Burial in McKinney.
The remains of Mrs. J. R. Berry, who died at 10:35 Wednesday night Aug. 7, at Honey Grove, arrived here on the 6:50 southbound, Thursday evening, and were interred in the family burying ground in Pecan Grove Cemetery. The deceased was formerly Miss Allie Perkins, daughter of the late w. H. Perkins, Sr., an honored resident of this county whom the older citizens will remember. Hon. Frank Perkins, formerly county attorney of Collin county, now also deceased, was her brother.

She was born Nov. 1, 1856. She was married in St. Louis to J. R. Berry, who with eight children, survive her. Less than a month ago her baby son, William Perkins, also died at Honey Grove where they were visiting, their home being at Denison. The deceased had been a patient sufferer for several months and had been taken to Honey Grove to be under the care of a sister where she died. She was a faithful wife, devoted mother and living sister. She was a devout Christian and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.

Her aged mother , Mrs. Elmira Carter, of near McKinney, still survives. One sister, Mrs. Lillie McKinstry, of Honey Grove; three brothers W. L. Perkins, of Edna, Kansas, W. H. and W. B. Perkins, living 3 miles south of town are also left to mourn her loss. A large concourse of relatives and sympathizing friends met the body at the depot and followed it to Pecan Grove Cemetery where Rev. W. P. Cloyd conducted the last sad rites at the graveside. The Democrat extends sincere condolence to the bereft ones. [The Democrat, McKinney, Texas, August 15, 1901.]

Died at Age of 107 years. “Uncle” Jake Chamberlain, An Old Time Negro.
Jake CHAMBERLAIN, a typical old-time Southern negro, died Monday at his humble cabin which stands about one and a half miles southeast of McKinney. He was, without a doubt, at the time of his death, the oldest living resident of Collin County. He claimed to have been born July 10, 1798, just 107 years ago today.

His venerable appearance, gray locks and bent form before death bore out this claim of over a century’s existence. Indeed, some of the county’s oldest citizens among them Manse and Hy WILMETH, D. L. McKINNEY and Jesse SHAIN, are positive that he reached the century mark. He was an old negro, familiarly known as “Uncle” Jake, - in their earliest boyhood days. Though bent by the weight of so many years, his memory, up to the time of his death, was remarkably clear, his eyesight very good and all his physical faculties were retained to a surprising degree. He was born in slavery on Holston river, in Granger County, Tennessee, three miles below the Horse Shoe Bend. He was taken by his master, Jeremiah CHAMBERLAIN, to Lexington, Mo., and sold to Joseph FISHER. The latter brought him to Texas, where the slave’s ownership passed to Joe DIXON, who later sold him to Elder J. B. WILMETH, father to Manse and Hy WILMETH, of near McKinney, for the sum of $400.

He is the father of numerous children. He married his last wife, who survives him, in the early fifties (1850s); both belonged to Elder J. B. WILMETH, whose son, Elder J. R. WILMETH, now of Mills county Texas, officiated.

For seventy-five years Uncle Jake was a Baptist preacher, doing local ministerial work among the members of his race. He never had but one severe spell of illness and that after being brought to Texas. Dr. SMITH, father of H. Q. and C. W. SMITH, the druggists, attended him.

Uncle Jake married five times;, two of his wives died and two were separated from him in the course of events incident to slavery times. Uncle Jake owned a little piece of land of about 30 acres, upon which he lived. On passing his home at any time, he could nearly always be seen at the wood pile at work......

Uncle Jake’s old black face never failed to beam a welcome, more cordial and eloquent than words could convey, to any white friend or stranger who happened to pause at his humble cabin door for a word of cheer to its occupant, who possessed the distinction of having lived in all three of the eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth centuries. [The Democrat, McKinney, Texas, July 13, 1905]

Good Man Gone: C.O. Bennett of Near Celina – Well Known in McKinney
The above named gentleman, for indeed he was a gentleman, died at 11 o’clock Monday night, September 14, 1914 after a week’s sickness at his home a mile northeast of town. Deceased is survived by a wife and the following children: Frank Bennett and Clyde Bennett of Celina, Mrs. Emma Howard, Walnut Grove, Mrs. Ella Black, Eldorado, Okla.

Mr. Bennett was born in Lebanon, Tenn July 30, 1848; came to Texas 45 years ago and has resided all this time in Collin County, where every acquaintance speaks well of him. He was truly a good man and the community, as well as his family, has lost a citizen that will be missed.Mr. Bennett’s death is a shock to the entire community, and was brought on by a severe attack of malaria which had clogged the liver and the vital organs. He was up and about ten days before, as we remember his calling at the [Celina] Record office to pay his subscription and found his time was not out, so he renewed the paper to his daughter, Mrs. Ella Black, of Eldorado, Okla.

Mr. Bennett was a man of big heart and liberality, always ready and willing to do his part in anything coming to hand. Peace to his ashes.[ Reprinted in the McKinney Courier from the Celina Record, Celina, Tex., September 21, 1914.]

Pioneer Celina Woman Dies
Funeral services for Mrs. Emma McCoy, 72 years and 22 days old, who died at her home in Celina, Monday, August 2 at 2:25 a.m. where held at 4 o’clock Tuesday. After which interment took place in the Cross Roads cemetery, three miles East of Celina. Mrs. McCoy had been ill for about two weeks before her death occurred. She was a native of Farmersville, Union Parish, Louisiana, and was born July 4, 1853. She came to Texas with her parents in 1876 [She actually came with her husband, her parents died before 1873] settling near Old Celina, and had lived the balance of her life in and near Celina, about 49 years.

She was married to S. McCoy, who died at Celina in January, 1912. Eleven children were born to bless their union, three having preceded the mother to the grave. The living children are: Mrs. R. L. Carroll at Hereford; W. M. McCoy of Marble Falls; J. R. McCoy, E. A. McCoy, D. A. McCoy, Mrs. W. L. Mallone, Mrs. F. M. Bennett and Mrs. A. W. Baker of Celina. She is survived by one sister, Mrs. Frank Hall of Farmersville, La, who could not attend the funeral. One sister and three brothers preceded her to the grave.

The deceased professed faith in the Baptist church in early childhood when 14 years old, and had been a member of the Celina Baptist Church for thirty-five years. Active pallbearers were: J. D. Duncan, Ed Gray, H. C. Simmons, J. W. Howell, S. M. Bateman, and Eulas Franklin. The passing of this sainted old mother is deeply regreted by a host of friends and acquaintances. Her presence will be missed by all who knew her. She was loyal to her home, her church, and her God. [, McKinney Courier Gazette, McKinney, Tex., August 4, 1925.]

Veteran Educator Laid to rest Sunday - Prof. W. L. Yarbrough Twice elected County Superintendent
Dr. Minor Bounds, assisted by Dr. G. O. Key, conducted funeral services over the late Prof. W. L. Yarbrough at the family home, 918 South Tennessee Street at 4:30 o’clock Sunday afternoon, August 12. Many out-of-town relatives and friends attended the obsequies, among them being Will Hedgcoxe, merchant and wife of Plano; Mrs. Hattie Hedgcoxe Hagy of near Plano; and Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Hedgcoxe of Bethany, the Messrs Hedgcoxe and Mrs. Hagy and Mrs. Bush of near Plano, all being brothers and sisters of the deceased’s wife. Also Miss Etta Hedgcoxe of Plano.

The funeral arrangements were under the Isaac Crouch Funeral Home direction with burial in Pecan Grove cemetery under Masonic auspices. Tom L. Bailey was Acting Master of the solemn burial rites at the grave side. Active pallbearers were: Walter B. Wilson, Tom W. Perkins, Alfred M. Scott, B. F. Skelton, Wallace Hughstgn and Gibson Caldwell. The new-made grave was left under a profusion of beautiful floral offerings.

Former County Superintendent: The deceased was born in Union County, North Carolina, June 20, 1854, being at his death, eighty years, one month and twenty-one days old. He received his education at Rutherford college in Burke County, North Carolina, and taught school for many years. He served two terms as County Superintendent of Public Schools in Collin County from 1904 to 1908. He taught school at a number of points in Collin County where he had lived for about forty-five years. He was a Mason, having been raised to the Master’s Degree... He was also a Woodman and a member of the Junior Order United American Mechanics. In the latter years of his life, he was engaged in the real estate business at McKinney. He was a man of strict integrity, a devout Christian and a member of the Methodist church practically all his life. He was Recording Steward of the First church, McKinney, when he died.

He is survived by his [second] wife and the following children [all by his first wife]: Theodore Yarbrough of Weatherford....; Mrs. J. M. McNeill of Houston; Caryl Yarbrough of LaCeiba, Honduras, Central America, and another married daughter in Athens, Greece with her husband who is a civil engineer....

Prof. Yarbrough was widely and favorably known throughout Collin County in which scores of friends, acquaintances and former pupils mourn his passing. [ McKinney Courier Gazette, McKinney, Tex., August 13, 1934]

MRS. WILLIE C. NITCHOLAS (formerly Artie Lacy)
Dies Soon After Infant’s Burial.
Mrs. Willie C. Nitcholas, aged about 22 years, died at the family home in the Viney Grove community Tuesday at 4 o’clock. The little infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nitcholas was buried Monday at 11 o’clock in the Altoga cemetery. The remains of the young mother were laid to rest Tuesday afternoon at $30 beside the grave of her baby.

Deceased was formerly Miss Artie LACY, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. LACY of Altoga, and was born and reared near that place. She and her husband have been living on the “Uncle John” Wallace farm, in the Viney Grove community, since their marriage about one year ago.

Besides her parents the deceased is survived by the following brothers and sisters: Walter Wilford, Lloyd, John and Bun, Miss Valla and Lena of Altoga, and Mrs. John Everidge of Sherman.

Deceased was a member of the Baptist church of Altoga. She was also a member of the Woodmen Circle at Altoga. Funderal services were held at the cemetery conducted by her pastor, the Rev. J. H. Hilger, assisted by the Rev. W. H. Dunn. Burial was made under the auspices of the Altoga Woodmen Circle. Music was rendered at the graveside by a quartet composed of Grady Cooper, Walter Evans, Miss Wilma Vermillion and Mrs. Willie Braswell. The pallbearers were: Misses Georgia and Etna Vance, Beatrice and Alice Vermillion, Dixie Porter and Betha Whitson. [The Weekly Democrat-Gazette, McKinney, Texas, August 30, 1917.]

MRS. H. E. WALLIS (formerly Kathryne Geren)
Death Claims Mrs. H. E. Wallis.
Mrs. Kathryne Wallis, wife of Homer E. Wallis, died at their home near Melissa, Monday morning at 9:30 o’clock, following a long illness. The deceased was twenty-two years of age. She was the only daughter of former District Clerk, R. E. (Ed) GEREN, and was born in Nevada, in the Eastern part of Collin county. She lived with her parents there for awhile and they later moved near Wylie, where they lived until Mr. Geren was elected district cler, when they removed to McKinney and resided here for four years. Following the expiration of his term of office, the family moved to West Texas and resided there a short time and then came back to Wylie where Mrs. Geren died three or four years ago. Mr. Geren and his daughter continued to reside in Wylie until about two years ago when she was married to her surviving husband and they went to Melissa where they lived until her death at the above stated time.

The deceased leaves a husband and one child, a son, six months old, her father and three brothers, Frank Geren of Lavon; Clyde Geren of McKinney, and Tully Geren, aged about twelve. The deceased was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South and the Wylie Rebekah Lodge. The burial took place in Wylie cemetery Tuesday.

The deceased had many friends in McKinney and throughout the county who are much grieved at her untimely passing away, but they grieve not as those who have no hope. The Daily Courier-Gazette and Weekly Democrat-Gazette extend sincere sympathy to the husband, and motherless child and other relatives in their crushing bereavement. May the creator of all things comfort them and help them to bear their burden of grief. [The Weekly Democrat-Gazette, McKinney, Texas, August 30, 1917.]