| page 574
JOHN SCHERRER, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Alsace, France, in 1825. He is the son of John and Ann (Eihenger) Scherrer, who in the old country were neighbors of the Schnoebelens. The parents were farmers in Alsace, where they owned property, upon which the family lived, and where the mother died. They reared nine children, all of whom, with the exception of John, came with their father to America in 1854. the children were named respectivelyJohn, our subject; Magdalena, Dominica, Louie, Frank, Annie, Theresa, Mary, and Agatha. The last named died in this country unmarried.
John Scherrer was a passenger upon the &quto;America," a noted sailing-vessel, but which was fifty-two days in crossing the ocean, for lack of wind to fill the sails. They landed at New York City Aug. 18, 1852, and took the cars for Buffalo, where they re-embarked upon the "Atlantic," bound for Detroit. The trip was full of bitter experiences for the passengers and is related by our subject with much feeling. It was 9 o'clock at night when the boat left the wharf, and three hours later another boat struck her amid-ships and stove a great hole in the side through which much water rushed with great violence, and in less than five minutes the boat with her precious load of human beings, 500 in all, settled at the bottom of the lake. John was in company with his uncle and aunt Dietz, who came from Germany with him, and all were in the middle cabin, and had it not been for the watchfulness of our subject all would have drowned. He was lying on a bunk about half asleep, with his watch chain loosely about his neck, when he was awakened by a man trying to steal the watch as he lay in the dark, and was fully awake when the crash came. He quickly aroused his relatives, and they had scarcely touched the cabin floor when the water poured in, and as they clung to the walls of the cabin, all were immersed to their necks in water.
On the 500 passengers on board 300 were drowned,
page 575
but among the saved were those named, who were rescued from their perilous situation by the boat which struck the deadly blow. The wails of the bereaved ones and the cries for help of the drowning filled the midnight air, and the scene was fearful to contemplate. Almost every one lost their all. Our subject was dressed in a shirt and pantaloons, in the pockets of which was every dollar he possessed, but without coat or hat, he came out from the wreck, and after he and his relations were landed in Chicago, he had only $4 left. HIs uncle went to sawing wood and his wife to washing, while John hired to an Irishman at $12 per month to make hay, and only worked a week when he became sick with ague and was obliged to give up working and go to the city for medicine. HIs health soon became better, and borrowing $28 from his uncle, started with him for Iowa, where his uncle, Sebastian Dietz, later entered land. The railroad was only built ninety miles west of Chicago, but they came that far on it, and then embarked on a boat on the Illinois River, but the water became so low that the boat was abandoned, and they became passengers in a lumber wagon bound for Rock Island, where they shipped on board a steamer for Muscatine.
After all had safely arrived in Washington County, Sebastian Dietz bought land and our subject went to work for Nathaniel McClure, and for wages received a cow which his uncle took for the $28 debt; after working for almost three years at $150 per year, he invested his money in an 80-acre tract of land which he entered. He worked for McClure another year for a yoke of oxen, with which he broke some sod and sowed it in wheat and in the winter cut rails and hauled them with three yoke of cattle, and in the spring built the fence and a log house, 16x20, where he kept bachelor's hall for one year. But this was not just the thing for the young German, and in February, 1859, Miss Frances Zihawa became his wife, Rev. Father Emmons of Iowa City performing the ceremony. They began domestic life in the log cabin in a contented although primitive way, buying one thing at a time, and working all the while to pay for it until Mr. Scherrer was able to purchase a wagon and trade his oxen for horses. From this time they prospered and children came to grace their home. Mary Frances, now the wife of John Schnoebelen; Anna and Frank both died in infancy; Henry, Ida, Celia, Anna and John C., of whom the three eldest were born in the log house.
Mr. Scherrer fell ill and for three years was unable to work, and sold forty acres, but after recovery bought the land upon which he now lives, paying for it $25 per acre. He built a handsome frame house in 1881, costing $1,000, besides his 7,000 feet of sawed lumber. He now owns 119 acres of finely improved land, and instead of the penniless German of twenty-seven years, he is now a gray-haired father with flocks and herds and plenty of land. His good wife has been true to him through all privations, and as they sit around the hearth-stone and tell the children of the hardships of the new country, and the father relates his providential escape from death in the water of Lake Erie, all devoutly utter a prayer to the Giver of all good for so many mercies extended. The entire family are members of the Riverside Catholic Church, and are among the best families of the town.

ROBERT MAXWELL, a farmer, on section 16, Crawford Township, was born Dec. 27, 1819, and is a son of Robert Maxwell, Sr., whose history appears elsewhere. Robert Maxwell, Jr., was born in Harrison County, Ohio, where his boyhood days were spent. His marriage was celebrated March 24, 1847, Miss Rachel J. Thompson becoming his wife. Thomas and Mary (Weston) Thompson, parents of Mrs. Maxwell, were born in Huntingdon County, Pa., and were married in that State May 3, 1804. Their three eldest children were born in PennsylvaniaNancy, John and Sarah. Abut 1812, the family removed to Harrison County, Ohio, and there the parents remained until their death, the mother dying in her seventy-seventh year, and the father in his ninety-sixth year. Ten children were born to them; the three mentioned, followed by Thomas, Mary, Catherine W., Elijah W., Eleanor A., Joseph L. and Rachel, the latter the wife of our subject. All the
page 576
children married and reared families and are living, except Eleanor, Elijah, Mary and Thomas, and wit the exception of Mrs. Maxwell and Catherine, all reside near the old homestead. Thomas Thompson, Jr., was a son of Thomas and Eleanor L. (Lindsey) Thompson, who were married in 1768. They had twelve children, and all the sons were farmers.
Robert Maxwell and his young wife left their home in Ohio in November, 1847, making the journey down the Ohio and up the Mississippi to Keokuk, where Mr. Maxwell procured a conveyance that carried them directly to this county. They began their domestic life in a small house on land now owned by J. S. Kirkpatrick and Robert Gormly. Six months later Mr. Maxwell had a little cabin erected on lands which he had purchased, and into this he moved with the young wife before it was completed, it being then minus windows and doors. A few days later one of the celebrated Iowa cyclones passed over the county and Mrs. Maxwell was alone with her baby girl Ella. The storm came with great violence, and rained poured through the door and windows, when uncle John Maxwell hurriedly came in. HIs advice was for Mrs. Maxwell to get upon the bed with her baby and hold the umbrella over them to keep the bed from getting wet, while the other perishable articles he piled upon the bureau, and spread an oil-cloth over them. This was done, and the storm passed over, but the trio were well drenched, nevertheless, as there were chinks between the logs. the same building yet stands, and in it eight of their children were born. The grand old locust trees, with branches covering seventy-five feet of ground with grateful shade, were planted by Robert Maxwell in the spring of 1848, and upon the limbs all of their children and grandchildren have climbed and swung.
The old cabin, almost neglected, has served its time faithfully and well, yet it would be almost a sacrilege to tear it down, for every log and every chink in it has a history. In it their children were born and the songs and shouts of glee made the old walls ring. Under its hallowed roof the songs of praise and prayer of faith have been often heard. His prosperity began from the day when with his young wife and baby he entered its portals, and well has that loving mother and energetic wife fulfilled her trust. The birth of Ella was followed by those of Mattie, Minnie, Jennie, Thompson; Sadie, deceased; Robbie, deceased; Flora and Stella. Ella wedded Samuel Thompson, a farmer of this county; they are the parents of Cora, deceased; Nannie, Robbie, Addie and Nelson. Mattie is the wife of Amon Allen, a farmer of Cass County, Iowa, and is the mother of Shelby and Robert Leroy; Minnie is the wife of George Anderson, and is a resident of Selma, Cal.; one daughter, Jessie, graces their marriage. Jennie is the widow of William D. Crawford, M.D.; she makes her home with her parents, and is the mother of a handsome son, Howard. Thompson wedded Jennie Black; he resides on a farm adjoining the old homestead, and is the father of Robert, Edgar, Harry A. and Claude. Flora is the wife of John Hanna, a druggist of Bishop Hill, Henry Co., Ill.; Minnie and Lee are their children. Stella is the youngest daughter, and remains with her parents in the old home overlooking the village of Crawfordsville.
If we should undertake to give a complete history of even the life of one man it would require more space than could be spared, but this brief sketch of Robert Maxwell will add completeness to the history of his father's family. He began life without means, but with a strong arm and willing heart, aided by a wife whose motherly kindness is proverbial, he has accumulated a modest fortune and many broad acres yield to him abundant harvests.

JULIUS SEELEY, deceased, was a farmer and stock-raiser on section 8, Brighton Township. He was born in Yates County, N.Y., May 22, 1823, and was the son of Jerard and Matilda (Burrows) Seeley. He remained in Yates County, N.Y., until he was eighteen years old, when he went with his parents to Ashtabula County, Ohio. He was there married, on the 14th of August, 1844, to Miss Lucinda Haggerty, a daughter of Bartholomew and Theressa (Woodarth) Haggerty, both of whom were natives of New York, and among the pioneer settlers of Ashtabula county, Ohio, where Lucinda Haggerty was born March
page 577
25, 1827. In 1854, Mr. Seeley moved with his family to Hillsdale County, Mich., where they remained until 1865, and then came to Washington County, Iowa, and purchased a farm where Mrs. Seeley is yet living, on section 8, Brighton Township.
Mr. and Mrs. Seeley were the parents of two children: Harriet N., now the wife of David Nordyke of Brighton, and Horace, who married Miss Ida Stucker. Mr. Seeley died May 3, 1875. He was a man universally respected by all who knew him, honest and upright in all his dealings, and in his death Brighton Township lost one of its best citizens. Plitically, he was a Republican, and a man who kept well posted in the affairs of county, State and Nation. Mrs. Seeley yet resides upon the old homestead, with her son Horace,w ho has charge of the farm which consists of 320 acres of land, all of which is under a high state of cultivation.

REV. ANDREW McMILLAN is a resident of Brighton, Iowa, and is a native of Seneca County, Ohio, born May 3, 1833. He is the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Robinson) McMillan, the former of Scotch-Irish descent, born in New York, and the latter of Scotch and English descent, also born in New York. They were married in Washington County, N.Y., and in an early day emigrated to Ohio, being among the pioneers of that State. In early life his father was employed in a factory, but on his removal to Ohio, purchased land and engaged in farming. He was originally an old-line Whig, but in the first move in opposition to slavery he took a decided stand against that institution. He supported Birney for President, and acted with the Free-soilers until his death. No man in that section was better posted in political affairs. While his own house was not a station on the "underground railroad," his son Edward was a conductor on that route, and succeeded in sending on their way to freedom many a poor colored man and woman. He was a member of the Seceder Church, one of the sects subsequently uniting under the name of the United Presbyterian Church, and for several years studied theology, with a view of preaching.
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas McMillan were the parents of ten children: John, of Emporia, Kan.; Peter R., deceased; Richard B., of Washington, Iowa; Edward C. enlisted in the late war and died at Keokuk, Iowa, from disease contracted in the service, while on his way home; Thomas died when a child; George H. is a farmer in this county; Andrew, the subject of this sketch; Mary J. died at the age fourteen; Dr. William H., pastor of the Second United Presbyterian Church of Allegheny City; Elizabeth, widow of Joseph Nebergall, of Washington, Iowa. In 1847 the family emigrated to Washington County, Iowa, and settled on Brush Creek, but the following year moved to the city of Washington, where both parents have since died. They were highly respected for their honesty and Christian worth.
The subject of this sketch came with his parents to Washington County, Iowa, in 1847. Here he first attended the common schools of Washington, and then the old Washington College, from which institution he graduated in 1862. In 1865 he entered the theological department on Monmouth College, Monmouth, Ill., where he spent three years and received his diploma. On graduating from that institution he went to Hookstown, Pa., where he labored for the Church at that place three months, and then returned to Washington County, Iowa, and spent six months in laboring for the Church at Grand Prairie. He then received a call as pastor of the United Presbyterian Church at Olena, where he remained two and a half years, when he resigned the charge, but still continued to reside at that place for two years more. In July, 1875, he received a call from the United Presbyterian Church at Oelwein, Fayette Co., Iowa, where he ministered to the people for ten years. In April, 1885, he came to Brighton, Iowa, where he is at present employed.
Mr. McMillan was married in Monmouth, Ill., March 31, 1868, to Miss Mary E. Brown, a daughter of Elizabeth Brown. She was born in Indiana. Her father died when she was an infant. By this union there is one childDavid W., of Brighton, Iowa. Mrs. McMillan is a woman of more than
page 578
ordinary ability, and is a present the President of the Washington County Women's Christian Temperance Union, and is one of the leading spirits of that organization. She has devoted almost her entire life to Church and temperance work, and is also an active Sabbath-school worker.
In his ministerial labors Mr. McMillan endeavors t declare the whole counsels of God, neither adding to nor taking from the living oracles. In his pastoral labors he has been quite successful, and as a citizen he is greatly esteemed. In politics, he is a Republican.

FRED KLOCKENTEGER, farmer and stock-raiser, section 23, Lime Creek Township, is a native of Germany, born June 12, 1838. He is the son of Conrad and Anna (Wesche) Klockenteger, both of whom were natives of Germany. In 1856 the subject of this sketch came with his father from Germany to AMerica, landing at New York City, and then proceeding to Fulton County, Ohio, where they remained a short time and then went to Carroll County, same State, and worked by the month for one year, the two receiving for their year's work $232. In 1857 they came to Lime Creek Township, Washington Co., Iowa, where the father bought 160 acres of land on section 15, to which his family came, he having sent for them while yet in Ohio. the farm is now one of the best improved in the township.
Our subject received his education in Germany, and had been a resident of this country only four years when he answered the call to arms, and on Aug. 24, 1861, enrolled his name among those of the many brave boys of the 10th Iowa Infantry, was mustered into the service at Iowa City on the 6th of September, and left for St. Louis, where the regiment was armed, equipped and organized, 910 strong. September 30 they left St. Louis, and arrived at Cape Girardeau October 7, where they remained preparing the place for defense, building forts, etc. In connection with troops from Bloomfield, attempted a junction with the forces operating against Belmont, and after the battle at that place returned to Cape Girardeau on the 5th of November, and on November 14, relieved the troops at Bird's Point, Mo. The regiment spent the winter following in scouring the country for thirty or forty miles back of the river, with an occasional skirmish with the rebel General, Jepp, and Jan. 8, 1862, lost nine men killed and twelve wounded.March 4 of the same year, they took up the line of march for New Madrid, Mo., being the first to enter the fort. April 4 they crossed the river and assisted in the capture of Island No. 10, then retired to Madrid, and April 11 joined the expedition under Gen. Pope against Ft. Pillow, then joined the forces at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn. April 22 participated in the battle of Corinth, and after the evacuation of that place by the rebels, pursued them; their forces under Price and Van Dorn returned to Corinth, took part in Iuka, then rendezvoused at Corinth till November 4, when they formed part of the expedition under Gen. Grant, and entered on the march through La Grange, Tenn., Holly Springs and Oxford, Miss., to Yohony Creek. December 22 they again took up the line of march for Memphis, Tenn., a distance of 113 miles, the division having 600 teams which cut up the already muddy roads.
From Memphis the troops went to Holly Springs, and on Jan. 1, 1863, marched thirty-seven miles to Fayetteville, then retired to Memphis, where they remained, guarding the Memphis & Charleston Railroad till March 4, 1863, then went to Helena, Ark., where the regiment joined the Yazoo Pass expedition. It arrived at the rebel forts Pemberton and Greenwood on the 3d of April, and returning arrived at Helena April 9. Three days later they left for Milliken's Bend, marching through Rodney, and crossed the Mississippi May 12; then took up the line of march for Jackson, Miss., participating in the siege of Vicksburg, engagements at Little Rock and Missionary Ridge, after which the regiment marched and counter-marched a distance of 130 miles, from Huntsville, Ala., to Cleveland. The 10th Iowa Regiment marched a distance of over 5,000 miles, was in eleven distinct engagements, and had 410 men killed wounded. May 16, 1883 [1863], our subject was wounded at the battle of Champion Hills, from
page 579
the effects of which he has never fully recovered. He was discharged Sept. 6, 1864. Returning to Washington County he began to make himself a home, and with the money he saved from his service bought eighty acres of land, which he cultivated till 1873, when he bought 120 acres on section 23, to which he has since added until he now owns 365 acres. He has a fine farm with all modern appurtenances, and in 1887, built a handsome two-story frame residence.
Mr. Klockenteger was united in marriage, Feb. 22, 1866, with Miss Lavinia Rogers. She was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, Dec. 7, 1841, and is the daughter of Bolza and Bethany A. (Sviter) Rogers, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Ohio. Her father died in 1845. Her mother is still living with the subject of this sketch. Mr. and Mrs. Klockenteger have been the parents of eight children: Charles B., born in December, 1866, died Sept. 26, 1867; Mary A., born Jan. 7, 1868, died Dec. 31, 1873; Catherine M., born May 1, 1869, died April 18, 1873; Edith, born Sept. 15, 1870, died Feb. 18, 1872; August W., born July 23, 1875; John H., born Feb. 12, 1878; Otto E., born Oct. 13, 1880. The children are all receiving a good education.
Mrs. Klockenteger is a devoted member of the Christian Church; her mother has been a member of that Church for over twenty-five years. Mr. Klockenteger is a Republican in politics, and a member of the G.A.R. Post at Wellman. His wife is a member of the Woman's Relief Corps No. 88, of Ed. Hamlin Post, G.A.R.

SAMUEL N. McCLEAN, M.D., homeopathic physician and surgeon, of Washington, Iowa, was born in Louisa County, Iowa, Jan. 7, 1858. His father, John McClean, was a native of Scotland, who emigrated to America about 1841, locating in Delaware County N.Y., where he married Elizabeth Aitken, and in 1855, went to Louisa County, Iowa, and there died in 1861. He was a member of the Scotch Covenanter Church, and was strong in the faith advocated by that body. As a Christian worker he was one of the pioneers in this part of the State, coming to Iowa at a time when churches were scarce and ministers few. His influence as a Church worker and public speaker is still well remembered in the county in which he lived. He was an Abolitionist of the Garrett Smith type, took an active part in the anti-slavery discussions which preceded the late war, and was one of the first to insist that the Churches should squarely oppose this great evil. Possessed of a good library and a well-informed mind, and being a natural and easy public speaker, he belonged to that radical school of thought which was represented by such men as Smith, Phillips, Garrison and Lovejoy, and believing the contest over slavery to be an "irrepressible conflict," he fearlessly asserted that the knife, and not "compromise," would be the only remedy for great Southern cancer. Although twenty years have elapsed since his death, his ability as a public debater and his character as a man are still well remembered and kindly spoken of by all who knew him. He was a man among men.
After the death of the father, the family returned to New York, where they remained for several years. Mrs. Elizabeth McClean married a second time to Thomas Nicholson, who died about 1884. She is still living in Washington, where she has resided since 1869. Mrs. Nicholson has been a professional nurse for many years, and as such has been very successful. She is as well and favorably known as any lady in Washington County, is a consistent member of the Covenanter Church of Washington, and resides with the subject of this sketch.
In 1868, our subject returned to Iowa and located in Washington, where he attended and received his literary education in Washington Academy. After a course of reading, he entered the Medical Department of the State University of Iowa City, from which institution he graduated in 1885, with the valedictory honors of that department. He then returned to Washington and at once commenced the practice of his profession. Not withstanding the fact that "a prophet is not without honor save in his own country." Dr. McClean has been duly honored in his adopted city, securing a
page 580
practice even the first year which few physicians would expect to receive, and which has been almost doubled the second year. In the practice of his profession he has been very successful.
Dr. McClean is a member of the Hahnemann Medical Association of Iowa, and takes an active part in its annual sessions, and endeavors to secure benefit from its animated discussions on the different phases of disease throughout the State and the mutual experience of all its members. The Doctor is an active member and officer in the Convenanter Church of Washington, and is President of the Y.M.C.A. of that city, and Secretary of the County Sunday-School Association.
Few persons have a finer library than the Doctor, and all his spare moments are given to reading and study. A young man of more than ordinary ability, with a love for his profession, and a desire to rank high, there is but little doubt that his fondest anticipations will yet be realized.

HENRY MORGAN resides upon section 29, Clay Township, and is one of the best known citizens in the township. He was born April 9, 1818, in Jefferson County, Tenn., and is the son of Hezekiah and Lydia (Hammer) Morgan, the former a native of North Carolina, and the later of Tennessee
Hezekiah Morgan was born Feb. 2, 1796, and moved to Tennessee in 1814, where he married Lydia Hammer. He has a twin brother, Obediah Morgan, who is yet living, in Clayton, Hendricks Co., Ind., aged ninety-two. In 1832 Hezekiah Morgan Moved to Madison County, Ind., where he died about 1834. Mrs. Morgan survived him, dying in 1838. They were consistent members of the Society of Friends, and were among the most respected people in all Madison County. They were the parents of eleven children, eight of whom are yet living: Obediah, a farmer, residing in Vermilion County, Ill.; Henry, the subject of this sketch; Thomas died in Andrew County, Mo.; James is a farmer residing in Hardin County, Iowa; Isaac is a farmer residing in Hendricks County, Ind.; Nathan is also a farmer residing in the same county; Hezekiah died in Coles County, Ill.; Hannah, now deceased, was the wife of Miles Mendenhall; Rebecca is the wife of John Grimes, a farmer residing in Hendricks County, Ind.; Demaris is the wife of John Mendenhall, a farmer in Vermilion County, Ill.
The subject of this sketch remained with his parents until his marriage, which occurred May 13, 1840, with Miss Dica A. Barnett, a daughter of Robinson and susan (Ballard) Barnett, both of whom were natives of Tennessee. She was born in Ohio, June 13, 1823. Mr. and Mrs. Morgan have been blessed with nine children: William H. H., born Feb. 2, 1842, grew to manhood and enlisted in the 18th Iowa Infantry, and died in Jefferson City, Mo., Sept. 6, 1862; his remains were brought home and buried in the cemetery in Clay Township, Dec. 21, 1862. I.M. was born Nov. 15, 1844, and is a farmer residing in Shelby County, Iowa; H.D. was born Feb. 6, 1847, and is now serving his third term as Sheriff of Taylor County; E. Jennie, born Dec. 12, 1849, is now the wife of Martin B. Ayres, and residing in St. John, Kan. She is a well-educated woman, and previous to her marriage taught eleven terms in the public schools in Washington, the greater portion of the time in the grammar department; she was also Principal of the Centennial School. Mary L., born Dec. 9, 1852, is now the wife of Herbert Sargent, and resides in Richland, Iowa; Hattie E., born May 24, 1855, is the wife of Ernest Sargent, and resides in Brighton; A. J., born June 24, 1858, manages the home farm; Oliver P., born March 22, 1861, resides in Colorado Springs, Col.; William H., born April 30, 1866, is Deputy Sheriff of Taylor County, Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. Morgan have taken great pride in training their children to be useful men and women. Six of the eight children have been successful teachers in the schools of Washington and adjoining counties. Mrs. Morgan and her daughter Mary held the position of Postmistress at Clay for nine years. For the past six years Mr. Morgan has held the same position. He was first appointed under President Arthur, and has been re-appointed by the present administration, notwithstanding he
page 583
is known to be a strong Republican. In 1846 he came with his family and located on his present farm in Clay Township. Here he has lived for forty-one years, and no man in all the township is better known or more universally respected. In his younger days he learned the trade of a miller, following that occupation for about five years after his marriage.
Since coming to Washington County, Mr. Morgan has been engaged in farming, and for the past year in general merchandising at Clay Station, of which he is Station Agent and Express Agent. For eleven years he carried the mail from Brighton to Ioka, in Keokuk County. although very near his threescore and ten years, he is an active and well-preserved man, a man of strong mind and of good judgment; in fact, truly a representative man, one well worthy of representation in this volume. Like his father before him, he is a member of the Society of Friends. Mrs. Morgan is also a member of the same society. Jennie is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. As a citizen, Mr. Morgan has always stood high in the estimation of his neighbors, and has been honored by his fellow-townsmen with several of the local offices, including those of Town Trustee and Justice of the Peace.

D. W. LEWIS, Superintendent of Public Schools, Washington, Iowa, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Knox County, Oct. 20, 1835. He is the oldest of the six children of Griffith and Anna W. Lewis. On his father's side he is of English and Welsh descent, and on that of his mother's, English and Dutch. His maternal grandfather, who was born in Connecticut, was a farmer and a Quaker preacher. Most of his children are or were preachers of that faith. His paternal grandfather was a farmer and a tanner, and religiously, was also a member of the Society of Friends. He was connected with the Darlingtons of Pennsylvania, and was worthy of the phrase, "as punctual as a Darlington." Politically, he was an Abolitionist. His father, Griffith Lewis, was a farmer, nurseryman and a lime-burner. He was also a member of the Society of Friends; politically, an Abolitionist, and an agent of the underground railroad. The remark has been attributed to slave-hunters, "We can track the niggers to Lewis' hill; there they seem to go under." He voted for Birney for President in 1840, and also in 1844.
Soon after the birth of the subject of this sketch the family moved to Woodbury, in what is now Morrow County, Ohio, and in 1839, moved to Champaign County in the same State. In 1853 they came to Iowa and settled in Cedar County, where D. W. for several years assisted his father in improving a prairie farm. In his younger days he attended private and public schools in his native State of Ohio, and on coming to Iowa, attended the country schools, mostly during the winter months. For a short time he was a student in the academy in the academy at Springdale, and for several months was a student of the Tipton graded school. Later on he attended an academy in Greenwich, Ohio, for a few months, and also spent a few months at Oberlin. He took a full course in a business college at Pourghkeepsie, N.Y. Few men who have not pursued a regular classical course in some college or university are better educated than Prof. Lewis. This has bee attained by reading and private study, by attending teachers' institutes and associations, by active membership in literary societies, by daily preparation for his duties as a teacher, and by contact with men in business, politics, etc.
In the summer of 1856, he taught his first term of school near his father's place. This was a subscription school, and the amount received for the thirteen weeks' term amounted to $44. After this, until the fall of 1864, he taught school only during the winter months. Since then teaching has been his only profession, and with the exception of two terms in Ohio, and nearly a year in Nebraska, has been in the schools and institutes of Iowa. In January, 1865, he went to Muscatine, Iowa, as principal of the Third Ward Grammar School, and there remained for three and a half years. In 1868 he came to Washington, Iowa, as Superintendent and Principal of the High School. After three years' work here, he taught an Indian School on the Winnebago Reservation in Nebraska, after which
page 584
he returned to Washington, and for the past fifteen years has been Superintendent and either sole teacher or Principal of the High School. The first institute work of Prof. Lewis was in the old-fashioned one-week institute. In 1872 and 1873, he taught in Normal institutes in Cedar County, and in 1874, in a Long Normal in Washington. In 1875, the first Normal institute under the State law was held, and Prof. Lewis was one of the instructors in Washington. The next year he taught in the Muscatine Institute. In 1876 he again taught in Washington, and then for seven years was conductor of the Washington Normal Institute. The two years succeeding he did no institute work, but in 1886, taught didactics, geography and arithmetic in the institute of Louisa County.
In both school and institute work, Prof. Lewis has ever aimed to be practical, believing that the pupils in honest study, clear thinking, direct expression and good habits of body and mind, that the State will be furnished with reliable citizens in both politics and business. Politically, Prof. Lewis was brought up an Abolitionist, but is now and has been since the organization of the party, a Republican, though never believing in the doctrine, "My party, right or wrong." He is a teetotaler and a Prohibitionist, believing the former to be safe, and the latter a necessity. Religiously, he was brought up in the faith of the orthodox Friends, and yet has a strong love for that denomination, but as age grows on, he says he feels less like magnifying differences, and rejoices the more in the fact of a growing unity among Christians.
In 1871, Prof. Lewis was united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Hamilton. they have one child, Pauline Lewis. Before her marriage Mrs. Lewis had taught for several years in the schools of Washington. While in Nebraska she taught an Indian school separate from that taught by Prof. Lewis. After returning to Washington, she taught eight years in the city schools,since which time she has taught but two term, but for several years has been one of the instructors in the Washington County Normal Institute. Few women are better posted or can express themselves more intelligently than Mrs. Lewis. Her school and institute work has always been entirely satisfactory, and it is only from choice that she does not fill a position in the public schools at this time.
Prof. Lewis has been a member of the Iowa State Teachers' Association, and has held the position of Treasurer of that association for nearly twenty years. In 1882 he was presented with a fine gold-headed cane by the Teachers' Association of the State, as an expression of high regard for him as a teacher and friend of education. At present he is a member of the State Educational Council, composed of thirty-seven members. The public library of Washington has always found in Prof. Lewis a friend, and since its organization he has been one of its Trustees.
A fine portrait of Prof. Lewis is presented to the patrons of the ALBUM, as will be seen on an accompanying page.
|