Website Compiled By: James H. Culbert
It is not known when these lots were divided among the associates. They were probably divided out to each man in proportion to the service he rendered to the Susquehanna Company in driving the Pennamites out of Wyoming Valley. A settling right in Hanover was probably not less than 600 acres.
In his book, Plumb provided a map of the Hanover Lots. Due to its size, I have not scanned it for the Internet. However, I do have enlarged photocopies available for those interested.
From 1802 to 1804, all of these lots were surveyed, and certification was given to the current landowners. Before this certification, the back end of all of them, from about the top of the Little Mountain running southerly, was dropped off as unseated land. These parts of lots were sold every two years for taxes, and the railroads have bought parts of them for residences for their employees.
Lot Nos. 1, 2, and 3 were drawn by Capt. Lazarus STEWART, and were passed down to his children after his death in the Wyoming Massacre on 3 July, 1778. The STEWART block-house stood on Lot No. 3, about midway between the River Road and the Susquehanna River. Part of No. 1 was certified to Nathan WALLER, then descended to his daughter, Mrs. Miller HORTON, and to a HORTON heir after them. Part of Nos. 1 and 2 were certified to Jacob ROSECRANTS and John HANNIS, then transferred by them to others unknown. The back end of Nos. 1 and 2 was divided among many owners. Thomas BROWN owned No. 1 there for many years. PETTY's Mill is on No. 1. Part of Nos. 2 and 3 long remained the property of Alexander JAMESON, who married Capt. STEWART's daughter Elizabeth. It was certified to JAMESON. The Germania Coal Company had a mine and breaker on the back end at the foot of the mountain, which now [in 1885] belongs to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company. The larger part of No. 3 fell to Josiah STEWART, and was certified to him, but has long been in other hands.
Lot No. 4 was drawn by Lieut. Lazarus STEWART, Jr., a cousin of Capt. STEWART. Lieut. Lazarus STEWART, Jr. was killed in the Wyoming Massacre, and left a one year old daughter, Fanny. She succeeded to the estate in Lot. No. 4, which was certified to her. Fanny's only living descendant, Mary F. SIVELY, daughter of George SIVELY, and widow of B. F. PFOUTS, still resides [in 1885] on this lot on the River Road. The part near the Back Road has long belonged to others.
Lot No. 5 was drawn by Lieut. Lazarus STEWART, Jr. A land transfer was made 11 Sep 1776 of undivided land from Lazarus STEWART, Jr. to Nathaniel HOWARD, presumably this lot, but not certain. It was sold before his death to Matthias HOLLENBACK, and was certified to him. It was transferred to George HOLLENBACK about 1818 and his children and grandchildren reside on the part near the river [in 1885]. The back part near the Back Road has long belonged to coal companies, at least since 1850. Much of the town of Ashley in on this lot, as well as on Lot Nos. 3-4, and 6-9.
Lot No. 6 was drawn by John DONAHOW. It came into the possession of Dr. Samuel COOK, and was transferred 25 May, 1777 to John STAPLES. It was sold in 1788 to John INMAN, Richard INMAN and Nathan WADE. It was certified to M. HOLLENBACK, J. VANDERMARK, C. CAREY, Ashbel WALLER, J. CAREY, Richard INMAN, C. CAREY, and N. WADE, and was constantly being transferred in parts such that the ownership cannot be followed.
Lot No. 7 was drawn by David YOUNG. It was transferred on 25 Nov 1772 from Lazarus STEWART to David YOUNG (Guarantee). It was transferred to Thomas ROBINSON on 22 Dec. 1772. On 8 May 1774 it was transferred from James ROBINSON and John ROBINSON to Richard ROBINSON. It was afterwards owned by Caleb SPENCER, and on 19 Mar 1777 part was transferred to Peleg BURRITT. Then, on 12 Sep 1777 it was transferred to his son, Gideon BURRITT. In 1788 the part from the Susquehanna River to Solomon's Creek was sold to Richard INMAN. It was certified to Richard INMAN, A. WALLER, W. SHOEMAKER, C. WICKISER, and G. BALDWIN. This lot is in many pieces from the river to Ashley.
Lot No. 8 was drawn by Capt. Lazarus STEWART. It descended to his children. It was certified to Edward INMAN and R. INMAN, J. SHOONOVER, J. VANDERMARK, and Comfort CAREY on the Back Road. The C. CAREY part after his death long belonged to John DAVIS. Now [in 1885] it belongs to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company or to Charles PARRISH.
Lot No. 9 was drawn by William GRAHAM. It was certified to William CALDWELL and William ROSS. ROSS had the end at the Back Road and in 1829 had a mill on it on Solomon's Creek at the foot of the mountain. In 1846 coal was taken out of the ROSS vein and shipped across the mountain on the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Railroad, the Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad, or by horse. This is believed to have been the first coal ever taken over the mountain to White Haven.
Lot No. 10 was drawn by John ROBINSON. Early on it came into the possession of Ebenezer HIBBARD. On 11 Jun 1774 an early land transfer from Ebenezer HIBBARD to Cyprian HIBBARD was made, presumably on this lot. Ebenezer sold it on 13 Oct 1774 to Edward SPENCER (400 acres). It was certified to Edward SPENCER and Christian SAUM with part of Lot. No. 9. The northern part owned by SPENCER was afterwards owned by Edward INMAN.
Lot No. 11 was drawn by James ROBINSON, and Lot No. 12 was drawn by Thomas ROBINSON. Both came into the possession of Matthias HOLLENBACK early on. On 11 Sep 1776 HOLLENBACK transferred Lot 12 to Samuel ENSIGN. HOLLENBACK transferred both lots to John HOLLENBACK on 24 Jun 1777, who then sold them to (Deacon) John HURLBUT on 12 Nov 1777. They descended to HURLBUT's children in 1782. In 1788 Christopher HURLBUT transferred part of No. 12 to Elisha BLACKMAN, his brother-in-law, from the top of Hog Back at the Middle Road back to the township line. The lots were certified to Naphtali HURLBUT, Elisha BLACKMAN, Rufus BENNETT, and Willis HYDE. They were afterwards owned by ARNDT, GARRINGER, BENNETT, BLACKMAN, COLLINS, METCALF, PLUMB, RUMMAGE, and COURTRIGHT. On No. 11, at the Middle Road, William HYDE built a stone house about 1796, which is still standing and in use [in 1885]. On the HYDE part also stands the Askam Post Office [in 1885].
Lot No. 13 was drawn by Josias ASPIA. Nothing further is known of him or of any ancient land transfers. This lot was sold at a sheriff's sale in 1790, along with half of Lot No. 14, from Jonathan COREY to Abraham BRADLEY. It was certified to BRADLEY with half of Lot. No. 14. Afterwards it belonged to Henry MINNICH, and at the Back Road to Henry MOCK. The MOCK part afterwards belonged to Colonel H. B. WRIGHT, now [in 1885] to the Warrior Run Mines. The Middle Road and River Road parts belong to the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885].
Lot No. 14 was drawn by Hugh COFFRIN or CAFFRON. It came into the possession of James LASLEY, who transferred it to Jenks COREY on 20 or 27 May 1777. COREY was slain in the Wyoming Massacre. In 1790 the sheriff sold half of it to Abraham BRADLEY, along with No. 13. This half was certified to BRADLEY, and the other half to Lord BUTLER with No. 15. The back end belongs to the Warrior Run Mines.
Lot No. 15 was drawn by John FRANKLIN. In 1776 he sold a part containing a mill seat to Samuel GORDON. GORDON sold it to Nathan CAREY, and CAREY to Christopher HURLBUT in 1793. On 15 Mar 1777 FRANKLIN sold another part to Nathaniel HOWARD or HOWELL. FRANKLIN was slain in the Wyoming Massacre. Lot 15 was certified to Lord BUTLER, including half of Lot 14. BUTLER sold part of them to Harvey HOLCOMB on the Middle Road, and at the Back Road to Jacob RUMMAGE, and at the River Road to the ROBINS. The RUMMAGE portion belongs [in 1885] to the Warrior Run Mines.
Lot No. 16 was drawn by Robert YOUNG. James STEWART claimed and held sixty acres of it. On 25 Oct 1774 Robert YOUNG transferred undivided land to Samuel HOWARD, presumably this lot. In 1776 YOUNG sold part containing part of a mill seat to Samuel GORDON, and GORDON to Nathan CAREY, and CAREY to Christopher HURLBUT in 1793. Forty-eight acres at the river was certified to Frederick CRISMAN, fifty-seven acres to James STEWART, and the part from near the Middle Road southwards to Abraham SORBER. John BOBB afterwards owned the SORBER part, then HOLLAND, and now the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885]. The CRISMAN and STEWART parts belonged to George KOCHER and the ROBINS, and now by the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885].
Lot No. 17 was drawn by John YOUNG. It came into the possession of Matthew HOLLENBACK, who sold it to James LASLEY on 24 June 1777. The western half of it, twenty-one rods wide, was transferred to Rosewell FRANKLIN and here FRANKLIN's house stood near the River Road. FRANKLIN removed to New York State, and in 1794 his half came into the possession of Aaron HUNT. The whole lot was certified to Jonas BRUSH. It afterwards belonged to Barnet MILLER at the river end and to George KOCHER at the back end. On this lot or on Lot 18 near FRANKLIN's house stood a block-house that was several times attacked by Indians and defended by FRANKLIN. Here is where his family was captured by them.
Lot No. 18 was drawn by William YOUNG. It came into the possession of William HIBBARD, who transferred it to Cyprian HIBBARD on 2 May 1777. William MCKARRACHAN owned it afterwards and transferred it or part of it to John EWINS or EWINGS on 9 Sep 1777. There was a block-house on this lot on the River Road or else on Lot No. 17. It was certified to Joseph HORSEFIELD and a part near the river to Josiah PELL. It afterwards belonged to Charles STREATER, then to [blank] COX, then to COLLINGS, and now to the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885].
Lot No. 19 was drawn by William STEWART. There is no record of ancient land transfers. It was certified to Josiah PELL, who owned it before the Wyoming massacre and lived there with his son, Josiah PELL, Jr. It descended to his son Samuel, and daughter, Polly. Samuel owned it until his death in 1872.
Lot No. 20 was drawn by Thomas ROBINSON. There are no records of its transfer, except that in 1788 Caleb SPENCER sold to Walter SPENCER for 300 pounds ($800) Lot No. 24, but gave for its boundaries those of this lot. This mistake was corrected when they were about to sell it to Andrew LEE. Lot No. 20 was assessed to Captain Andrew LEE as early as 1799, and was certified to him. His son, James S. LEE, owned it afterwards, and lived on it until his death in 1850. It then descended to his heirs, and is now owned by the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885].
Lot No. 21 was drawn by James STEWART, the brother of Capt. Lazarus STEWART. James returned to Lancaster County before the Wyoming Massacre, and died there in 1783, leaving a son, Lazarus STEWART, to whom this lot was certified. This was part, with No. 20, of the James S. LEE estate, and now belongs to the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885].
Lot No. 22 was drawn by William YOUNG. There is no record of its ancient transfer, but it was owned by John JAMESON as early as 1774. It was here his father settled when he came from Connecticut in 1776. When the Indians murdered John in 1782, at the Hanover Green, it descended to his son, Samuel, and daughter Hannah, who afterwards became the wife of James STEWART, the son of the Captain. It was certified to Samuel JAMESON, and he resided upon it and died there in 1843. This was afterwards the residence of Dr. H. HAKES. It adjoins the upper line of Nanticoke Borough.
Lot No. 23 was drawn by Captain Lazarus STEWART. It descended to his heirs after his death in the Wyoming Massacre, and in the partition was chosen by his son, James. It was certified to James, who resided there until his death in 1812. His dwelling was on the Middle Road east of the cross-road at the KEITHLINE place. His widow, Hannah JAMESON, afterwards married the Reverend Marmaduke PIERCE, and they sold the place to Robert ROBINS about 1837. ROBINS resided upon it at the River Road until his death. It included a part of Lot No. 24; a cross-road runs [in 1885] from the upper end of Nanticoke to the Middle Road between this land and the part of No. 24.
Lot No. 24 was drawn by Captain Lazarus STEWART. At the partition of his estate part of this lot was assigned to his daughter, Margaret, who married James CAMPBELL, on which they resided. It was certified to James, who afterwards sold it to the MILL family. It descended to Peter MILL, who about 1830 transferred the back end from near the Middle Road to John KEITHLINE. In 1864 KEITHLINE sold it to the D. L. and W. Company. Peter MILL resided near or in Nanticoke on this lot, and died there in 1871.
Lot No. 25 was drawn by William STEWART. It came into the possession of John JAMESON, who sold it to William HIBBARD and Cyprian HIBBARD on 13 Jul 1776. On 2 May 1777 William HIBBARD sold it, together with Lot No. 18, to Cyprian HIBBARD. In 1792 William STEWART again owned this lot, because in this year he sold twenty rods of its width on the west side adjoining No. 26, from the Susquehanna River running 400 perches towards the south, containing fifty acres, to Conrad LINE. He also sold the easterly side of twenty rods width, running back from the river about 400 rods, making another fifty acres, to Nathaniel DAVENPORT. Each sale was for 125 pounds (about $340 each). The portion from the river back 400 rods was certified to Conrad LINE and Esther TREADAWAY, and the back end to George ESPY. LINE and TREADAWAY sold it to John MILL. ESPY's part descended to his children, and his son, John, owned it and resided there until he died in 1843. It descended to his heirs, and now [in 1885] belongs to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company.
Lot No. 26 was drawn by Charles STEWART. We know of no early transfers of this lot. It was certified to George STEWART near the Susquehanna River, or about 400 rods in length from the river towards the south, and to George ESPY from near the Middle Road and back. The ESPY part descended to his son, John, and after him to his heirs. It now [in 1885] belongs to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company. The river end was bought by John MILL, and it descended to his heirs. They sold it out to various parties about the 1840s and left, except for Peter MILL, who still lived on No. 24. It now [in 1885] belongs to the Susquehanna Coal Company.
Lot No. 27 was drawn by William STEWART. Part of it was transferred to Cyprian HIBBARD on 15 Jan 1778. HIBBARD was slain in the Wyoming Massacre. The part between the Susquehanna River and Nanticoke was certified to Captain Andrew LEE, and from Nanticoke Creek southerly for about 300 rods to William STEWART, and to Conrad LINE as far as the Middle Road, and to Hugh FORSMAN to the foot of the Little Mountain. [See additional information about this lot under the Nanticoke lot descriptions at: Click Here In 1793-94 it was cut up into house lots by William STEWART and sold to many persons, however for reasons unknown it was still certified in 1802-04 to William STEWART.
Lot No. 28 was drawn by Silas GORE. On 1 Jul 1775 he sold a part of it to Samuel ENSIGN, and part to William MCKARRACHAN on 5 Feb 1777. Both GORE and MCKARRACHAN were killed in the Wyoming Massacre. In 1789 Elisha DELANO had some of this lot, a mill seat afterwards known as BEHEE's Mill, and he also rented ground on Lot No. 29 for a mill pond. DELANO built a sawmill and afterwards a grist mill there. In 1792 Naphtali HURLBUT owned this lot, and sold about four acres where the house and mill stood to DELANO. In 1793 John MCCOY sold seven acres to DELANO, twenty rods wide running south from the four acres bought from HURLBUT the previous year, so as to include the mill pond adjoining Lot No. 29. These eleven acres became later known as BEHEE's Mill. From this mill to the Middle Road belonged to Willis HYDE, and from the Middle Road or Hog Back south, to Cornelius GALE and Jonathan FRISBY, who in 1789 and 1790 sold to Rufus BENNETT. FRISBY's part was thirteen rods wide along the Middle Road adjoining Lot No. 29, and running back towards the mountain southeast 160 rods (13 acres). BENNETT paid fifty-two pounds ($154.66) for these two parts. This lot was certified to Joseph STEELE at the ferry, to Frederick CRISMAN from the ferry to the River Road, to Naphtali HURLBUT and Jonathan DILLEY (mill lot), to the creek that fed the mill pond, to Wilis HYDE from there to the Middle Road, and to Rufus BENNETT from there to the southeast line. This lot afterwards belonged to Joseph STEELE, "Beckey" THOMAS, George BEHEE, Richard METCALF, Rufus BENNETT, and O. COLLINS, and now [in 1885] to the D. L. and W. Company.
Lot No. 29 was one of the lots reserved to the town committee. It ran five miles from the Susquehanna River to the southeast to the township line. On 11 Feb 1790 the town committee leased the part from the Middle Road to the southeast in perpetuity to Rufus BENNETT, from the Middle Road northwest to BEHEE's mill pond in perpetuity to Lorenzo RUGGLES (supposed to have been bought of BENNETT), and from across the mill pond northwest to the river leased in perpetuity to Frederick CRISMAN. This CRISMAN part became the site of the Red Tavern, which was owned by various parties and is now owned by the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885]. The Red Tavern was built in 1789, the year Frederick CRISMAN leased public Lot No. 29 for fourteen years. The Red Tavern (it may have been partially or fully rebuilt in 1805) was a famous old hotelry in its time. It has been somewhat changed through repairs and additions, but still stands [in 1885] almost 100 years later. After CRISMAN's house was built the town meetings were generally held there. After his death in 1815 his son Abraham kept the house. It was, and still is [in 1885] the place for holding the elections for the local voting district. The RUGGLES part belongs to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company, and the BENNETT and COLLINS parts belong to the D. L. and W. Company.
Lot Nos. 30 and 31 were also drawn by the town committee. They commenced at Solomon's Creek (the western line), eight or ten rods above the mouth of the creek, and ran southeast to the town line after passing over Penobscot Knob, the high peak on the mountain at Solomon's Gap. In later times Edward INMAN, Jacob FISHER, Williaton PRESTON, and others not remembered had some of it. The part from the Susquehanna River to Solomon's Creek was certified to Calvin HIBBARD, afterwards it belonged to Edward INMAN, and descended to his heirs on his death in 1848.
Other Notes: The public lots were leased out from the earliest times. At first the terms were only for seven years, but by about 1789 the lease terms were for as long as ninety-nine years, and some were perpetual ("as long as trees grow and water runs"). A bond was given by the lessee covering the land. The interest, together in some cases with a bushel or two of wheat or its value, were collected each year by the Proprietor's Collector. This interest was the amount fixed as the value of the land as of the date the lease was executed. In some cases the lesee paid the price fixed as the value of the land all at once, and his lease in such cases was drawn with a nominal rent or interest, such as for a pepper-corn a year. These leased lands were bought, sold, and transferred just as any other lands, and the persons from whom the interest was collected was constantly changing. It is not possible now to tell from the Collector's lists where the land of each of the persons listed was located, because only the person's name and the amount collected are given. The list from 1816 is published in Plumb's book (pp. 179-180), but is not reproduced on this website.
The six-rod "roads" (actually their surveyed locations, not necessarly used as roads) that ran across the township from the river to the back line were also public lands. Where they were in locations that could be used as roads, they were. But, where they could not be used as roads they were leased out similar to any other public lands. The Red Tavern was built upon one of these roads about 1789.
Copyright © 1998 by James H. Culbert
Printing and filing this information is encouraged,
as is bookmarking or referencing this information or linking your site to this page.
Duplicating this page at another web location is prohibited without written permission from me.