Website Compiled By: James H. Culbert
Henry Blackman PLUMB, in his book, only provided detailed information on Lots 1-8, 13 and 15 of the Second Division. He said that none of the others deserved special mention. By about 1885 most of the lots in the Second Division along the line of the Third Division, at or near the foot of the mountain, were pretty well undermined by the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company's Sugar Notch Mines Nos. 9 and 10. The No. 10 Mine contains a slope and breaker, located [in 1885] on the east side of the cross-road that runs from the Back Road at the old house of Andrew SHOEMAKER to the Middle Road at the old house or home of Samuel BURRIER, with the breaker standing only eight or ten rods east from the old Jacob GARRISON house.
In his book, Plumb provided a map of the Hanover Lots. Due to its size, I have not scanned it for the Internet. However, I do have enlarged photocopies available for those interested.
From 1802 to 1804 all of these lots were surveyed, and certification was given to the current landowners. Before this certification, the back end of all of them, from about the top of the Little Mountain running southerly, was dropped off as unseated land. These parts of lots were sold every two years for taxes, and the railroads have bought parts of them for residences for their employees.
Lot No. 1 was drawn by William GRAHAM (or GRIMES or GREAMES). This is the lot adjoining Newport township at Nanticoke at the mouth of Nanticoke Creek, and lies on both sides of the creek. James COFFRIN had built a grist mill there at a very early date, probably as early as 1773, before the survey of the Second Division. It was supposed that the lot contained 50 acres, and was sold as such in 1775. But at a town meeting during the survey, on 28 May 1776, this lot was deemed more valuable than the rest, and so it was decided that it should therefore be fifteen acres less in extent. After GRAHAM drew this lot, James COFFRIN had to buy it from him. On 16 June 1776 COFFRIN sold it to John COMAR (or COMMAR, COMER, or CAMER). COFFRIN was slain in the Wyoming Massacre. On 25 Dec 1789 John COMER and wife of the Manor of Livingston, New York sold it to Washington LEE, of Dauphin County, PA. It was certified to Captain Andrew LEE. This became the LEE homestead in 1804 when Andrew LEE came to reside here. He died here in 1821. On the bank of the Susquehanna River, below Nanticoke Creek, Colonel Washington LEE, son of Capt. Andrew LEE, resided until his death in 1868. It belongs now [in 1885] to the Susquehanna Coal Company. Coal mining has been carried out here from about 1812 by Washington LEE. This lot has thirty-one acres.
Lot Nos. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 lie along the line of Newport. They contain about 50 acres each.
Lot No. 2 was drawn by James STEWART.
Lot No. 3 was drawn by John YOUNG.
Lot No. 4 was drawn by Captain Lazarus STEWART
Lot No. 5 was reserved as a Public Lot.
Lot No. 6 was reserved as a Parsonage Lot.
Lot No. 7 was drawn by William STEWART. It is located at Little Mountain and here the Second Division goes no further south than Little Mountain. It has sixty-six acres.
The other part of the Second Division (Lots 8-31) is separated from the first, and was called a "gore." The narrow end at the river reaches from the high grounds or hills about eighty rods above the mouth of Solomon's Creek, down to below the rocks, but some forty or fifty rods above the old STEELE ferry. The narrow end is about three-quarters of a mile wide. The other end of this gore, at the foot of the Little Mountain, is about two miles wide.
Lot No. 8 was drawn by Lazarus STEWART, Jr. He was slain in the Wyoming Massacre. This is the lot surrounding the Hanover Green, or graveyard and church lot, and extends from the River Road to the Susquehanna River. Its western line is a couple of rods above the Red Tavern. Lazarus STEWART transferred it to William MCKARRACHAN on 30 Aug 1776, and it was called "ye meeting-house lot." On 15 Jan 1777 MCKARRACHAN transferred it to Gideon BOOTH, Jr. and to Gideon BURRIT. BOOTH owned and resided on the northeastern half of it, and BURRITT on the southwestern half. It was certified to Stephen BURRIT and Joel BURRIT. It descended to Stephen BURRIT, Jr., who died childless about 1850. It was afterwards owned by Jacob FRITZ, then by Reuben DOWNING, and now by the D. L. and W. Company [in 1885].
Lot No. 9 was drawn by Captain Lazarus STEWART.
Lot No. 10 was drawn by William STEWART.
Lot No. 11 was drawn by John ROBINSON.
Lot No. 12 was drawn by Elijah INMAN.
Lot No. 13 was drawn by Silas GORE. There is no ancient record of its transfer. It was certified to Cornelius GARRISON. It is in the hollow near the foot of the mountain and belongs [in 1885] to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company. It has on the eastern end of it the Sugar Notch Mines No. 10, a slope, and near the western end, part of the Sugar Notch Mines No. 9, a shaft. Most of Sugar Notch Mines No. 9 shaft is on Lot No. 13 Third Division. The Lehigh Valley Railroad depot at Sugar Notch stands on the lower or western end of this lot.
Lot No. 14 was drawn by Captain Lazarus STEWART.
Lot No. 15 was drawn by John DANAHOUGH [or DONAHOUGH]. It is the next above, and northeast of, the church lot, No. 8, and is bounded on the northeast by Lot No. 31 First Division. There is no record of ancient transfers, but in 1790 Nathan WADE, Richard INMAN, and Abraham ADAMS sold it to Richard DILLEY for 37 pounds, 10 shillings (equal to $100). It was certified to the heirs of Richard DILLEY and has had two descents since to heirs of DILLEY down to 1879. It now belongs to the D. L. and W. Company.
Lot No. 16 was reserved as a Public Lot.
Lot No. 17 was drawn by David YOUNG.
Lot No. 18 was drawn by Lazarus STEWART, Jr.
Lot No. 19 was drawn by Charles STEWART.
Lot No. 20 was drawn by William STEWART.
Lot No. 21 was drawn by James ROBINSON.
Lot No. 22 was drawn by William YOUNG.
Lot No. 23 was drawn by Josias ASPIEY.
Lot No. 24 was drawn by Hugh CAFRON [or COFFRIN].
Lot No. 25 was drawn by William YOUNG.
Lot No. 26 was drawn by Thomas ROBINSON.
Lot No. 27 was drawn by John FRANKLIN.
Lot No. 28 was drawn by Captain Lazarus STEWART.
Lot No. 29 was drawn by Robert YOUNG.
Lot No. 30 was drawn by Thomas ROBINSON.
Lot No. 31 was drawn by Captain Lazarus STEWART.
Other Notes: The public lots were leased out from earliest times. At first the terms were only for seven years, but by about 1789 the lease terms were for as long as ninety-nine years, and some were perpetual ("as long as trees grow and water runs"). A bond was given by the lessee covering the land. The interest, together in some cases with a bushel or two of wheat or its value, were collected each year by the Proprietor's Collector. This interest was the amount fixed as the value of the land as of the date the lease was executed. In some cases the lesee paid the price fixed as the value of the land all at once, and his lease in such cases was drawn with a nominal rent or interest, such as for a pepper-corn a year. These leased lands were bought, sold, and transferred just as any other lands, and the persons from whom the interest was collected was constantly changing. It is not possible now to tell from the Collector's lists where the land of each of the persons listed was located, because only the person's name and the amount collected are given. The list from 1816 is published in Plumb's book (pp. 179-180), but is not reproduced on this website.
The six-rod "roads" (actually their surveyed locations, not necessarly used as roads) that ran across the township from the river to the back line were also public lands. Where they were in locations that could be used as roads, they were. But, where they could not be used as roads they were leased out similar to any other public lands. The Red Tavern was built upon one of these roads about 1789.
Copyright © 1998 by James H. Culbert
Printing and filing this information is encouraged,
as is bookmarking or referencing this information or linking your site to this page.
Duplicating this page at another web location is prohibited without written permission from me.