Hanover Second Division Lots

HISTORY OF HANOVER TOWNSHIP AND WYOMING VALLEY

Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
By: Henry Blackman Plumb, 1885, 498 pp.
Robert Baur, Printer and Stationer, Wilkes-Barre, PA

Website Compiled By: James H. Culbert


HANOVER THIRD DIVISION LOTS
DRAWN 12 SEPTEMBER 1787, pp. 165-167, 177-178

This page last updated: 25 Jun 2009

In the Third Division of Hanover lots, four of the original associates had left, and their names dropped, and two others taken in, making a new total of sixteen associates.  This Third Division occurred after Pennsylvania had succeeded to the jurisdiction of the area, and Luzerne County had been erected.  The division of lots was drawn by John STEWART and Jowel BURRITT, who were not involved as associates.  There was no explanation provided on what happened to lots that were drawn to deceased associates.

From 1802 to 1804, all of these lots were surveyed, and certification was given to the current landowners.  Before this certification, the back end of all of them, from about the top of the Little Mountain running southerly, was dropped off as unseated land.  These parts of lots were sold every two years for taxes, and the railroads have bought parts of them for residences for their employees.

Lot No. 1 was drawn in the name of Lieutenant Lazarus STEWART [deceased].  It was certified to Matthias HOLLENBACK.  It descended to his son George M. HOLLENBACK, and afterwards (about 1865) became the property of William R. MAFFETT.  No clearing or cultivation was ever done on this lot.  It lies within the coal area on the north side of the Little Mountain, and is now [in 1885] the location of the Hanover Coal Company's mines, which include a tunnel, shaft, and breaker.

Lot No. 2 was drawn in the name of John FRANKLIN [deceased].

Lot No. 3 was reserved as the parsonage lot.

Lot No. 4 was drawn by William STEWART.

Lot No. 5 was drawn in the name of James STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 6 was drawn in the name of Captain Lazarus STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 7 was drawn in the name of Lieutenant Lazarus STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 8 was drawn by William STEWART.

Lot No. 9 was drawn in the name of Captain Lazarus STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 10 was drawn by William STEWART.

Lot No. 11 was drawn in the name of Captain Lazarus STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 12 was drawn by William STEWART.  It was certified to John ROBINS.  It was partly tillable land.  It is mostly on the mountainside, and in the gap called Sugar Notch.  It is mostly coal land, and belongs [in 1885] to the Sugar Notch Mines No. 9 of the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company.  It joins Lot No. 1 to the east.

Lot No. 13 was drawn by John DONAHOW.  It was certified to Abraham ADAMS.  It was tillable land, and was owned and worked by Andrew SHOEMAKER until about 1838.  After several transfers it became the property of the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company at Sugar Notch, and their Shaft No. 9 and breaker stand on the edge of it close to the lower or west end of the GARRISON Lot No. 13 of the Second Division.  Close to this breaker stands [in 1885] the Lehigh Valley Railroad depot at Sugar Notch on the lower or west end of the GARRISON lot.  A half-mile or so west in this hollow commences the steep grade on the railroad line to ascend the mountain, which then curves around in Newport township and skirts the side of Big Mountain to reach Fariview to the southeast of the depot.

Lot No. 14 was drawn by John YOUNG.  It was certified to Abraham ADAMS, transferred to Conrad KNOCH, and descended to his heirs in Germany in 1828.  The New Jersey Coal Company had a mine and breaker here in 1866.  It is now leased to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company, and coal is still mined from it through both No. 9 and No. 10, Sugar Notch.

Lot No. 15 was drawn by Thomas ROBINSON.

Lot No. 16 was reserved as a public lot.

Lot No. 17 was drawn by James ROBINSON.

Lot No. 18 was drawn in the name of Silas GORE [deceased].

Lot No. 19 was drawn in the name of Captain Lazarus STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 20 was drawn by James LASLEY.

Lot No. 21 was drawn by William STEWART.  It is located at the top of the mountain at Solomon's Gap. Part of the buildings around Fairview Station are on this lot, but the station itself is beyond the Hanover line in Wright Township.  The Plane-House at the head of the L. and S. planes is in Hanover.  The employees of the two railroads that pass in and out of the Wyoming valley through this gap number several hundred, and providing for their houses, stables, round houses, shops, stores, taverns, saloons, etc. has added some value to this land.  However, most of these employees on the top of the mountain live beyond the present line of Hanover outside of Lot No. 21.

Lot No. 22 was drawn in the name of William YOUNG [deceased].

Lot No. 23 was drawn by Thomas ROBINSON.

Lot No. 24 was drawn by William STEWART.

Lot No. 25 was drawn by Elijah INMAN.

Lot No. 26 was drawn by William GRAIMES (or GRAHAM).

Lot No. 27 was reserved as a school lot.

Lot No. 28 was drawn in the name of Lieutenant Lazarus STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 29 was drawn in the name of Captain Lazarus STEWART [deceased].

Lot No. 30 was drawn by John ROBINSON.  It is located within the lines of the gore of the Second Division, and of the same size as those lots - fifty-five acres.  It was certified to Benjamin PERRY, sold to John HOOVER, who lived there until a very old age, dying in 1866.  Since 1864 it belongs to the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company.

Lot No. 31 was drawn by Robert YOUNG.  He sold it 20 Dec 1788 to Andrew MILLITT, and MILLITT sold it to Elisha BLACKMAN on 14 Apr 1792 for 25 pounds ($66.66).  It was sold by the heir of Elisha BLACKMAN in 1853 to Jonathan J. SLOCUM, and after his death came into the ownership of the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Company's Sugar Notch Mines No. 9.


Back to the Hanover Lists Page

For further information contact:

Copyright 1998 by James H. Culbert

Printing and filing this information is encouraged,
as is bookmarking or referencing this information or linking your site to this page.
Duplicating this page at another web location is prohibited without written permission from me.

Thanks to the generous support from:

Hosted by RootsWeb