Judge William (Piatt)
Judge Piatt. - One of the representative men of the township was William Piatt. He was born there, January 29, 1795, and died, January 6, 1876. His father, John Piatt, came from New Jersey. He was a tanner by trade and followed that business until the close of his life. William learned the trade with his father and followed it during his lifetime. When he grew to manhood he took much interest in politics. In 1830 he was elected a member of Assembly, and again in 1832 and 1833. In 1855 he was chosen an associate judge and served a full term of five years. In addition to these offices he at one time was elected county auditor, was president of the Loyalsock Turnpike Company from its organization, and president of the Uniontown Bridge Company.
Judge Piatt was married three times. His first wife was Anna, daughter of Capt. John Brady. By this marriage he had four sons and three daughters. McCall, one of the sons, now resides on the old homestead, which is one of the finest in the township. Mrs. Piatt died, April 26, 1847. His second wife was Lucy C. Oakes, whom he married in 1849. She died, September 15, 1860, and September 10, 1862, he married Sarah Oakes, a cousin to his second wife. Judge Piatt lived and died on the farm where he was born. Near the spot where their first house or log cabin was erected stands an old apple tree with decaying trunk and gnarled branches, that was planted by his father more than a hundred years ago. In 1891 it bore a fair crop, which was gathered by McCall Piatt, grandson of him who planted it. And although no such stirring events as those under the famous apple tree at Appomattox have occurred beneath its shade, it is undoubtedly older. Indeed there is little doubt that it is the oldest tree of the kind in the county.
John Piatt, in addition to Judge Piatt, had the following children: John, Jr., father of Sheriff John Piatt; Herman, who at the time of his death was prothonotary of Lycoming county; and Elizabeth, Jane, Julia Ann, and Lydia. All are deceased. Judge Piatt also had a taste for the military and he raised the first troop of horse in Lycoming county and served as captain for more than twenty years.
When Judge Piatt died he was buried in a private lot, which he had selected on a high knoll, in one of his own fields, overlooking the country for miles around. By his side are also buried several members of his own family. The outlook from his tomb is exceedingly grand the winding river and the receding hills are seen in the distance; in the foreground appear the well tilled fields and neat buildings of the ancestral estate, while at the base of the hill is Road Hall, the old time inn, and the home of the late William Sedam.
Piatt Township, Lycoming County, PA is named after this William Piatt