Living with daughter Amy Pyatt in Jackson County 1930 census
Carrie Belle Throckmorton
Custom Field:<_FA#> 1884May 05 Custom Field:<_FA#> County birth records Custom Field:<_FA#> 188427 June Custom Field:<_FA#> Family Bible
Auttie L Throckmorton
John Rankin (Piatt)
The following is from Washington Count Biographies, published by the Goodspeed Publishing Company:
J. R. Pyeatt. The biographical department of this work would be
incomplete without mentioning the Pyeatts, who were among the pioneer
settlers of Arkansas, and were first represented in this State by
James and Kate (Finley) Pyeatt, natives of North Carolina, who, in
1812, removed from Kentucky to about thirteen miles above Little Rock.
Here they spent the remainder of their days. J. R. Pyeatt was born in
Kentucky in 1805, and came to Arkansas with his parents, and was here
reared to manhood. In August, 1827, he came to Washington County, and
erected the first frame house ever built in the county, which is in
good preservation, and in which he still resides. Having a natural
taste for mechanics, he opened a wagon and blacksmith shop shortly
after his arrival here, and followed that occupation for a number of
years. He and his brother purchased some raw land, which they
improved, but in 1861 Mr. Pyeatt engaged in the milling business, in
partnership with his son-in-law, William S. Moore, and has since given
that business the most of his attention. In 1831 he was married to
Miss Elizabeth Buchanan, who was born and reared [p.1006] in West
Tennessee. Her death occurred in 1868. William S. Moore. miller and
farmer, was born in Greene County, Tenn., February 20, 1835, the son
of Capt. Anthony, and grandson of David Moore, the latter being a
soldier in the Revolutionary War. Anthony Moore was a farmer by
occupation, and died in Greene County, Tenn., in the spring of 1880.
His wife whose maiden name was Nancy Helt, was also born in Tennessee.
William S. Moore spent his youthful days on a farm in Tennessee, and
made his home with his father until twenty-one years of age. He then
learned the wagon-maker's trade and in the fall of 1858 came to
Arkansas, locating in Cane Hill, where he worked at his trade until
the summer of 1862, when he joined the Thirty-fourth Arkansas
Infantry, Confederate States Army, and served until the close of the
war. He participated in the battle of Prairie Grove, and was paroled
in the summer of 1865. He then returned home, and formed a partnership
with Mr. Pyeatt in the milling business, and erected the Cane Hill
Mills, which was in running order by the spring of 1866. The mill has
been remodeled and improved since it was erected, and is now one of
the finest mills in Washington County. It has a combined roller and
buhr process, and has a capacity of about forty barrels per day. They
also manufacture some lumber, and in 1869 added a carding machine,
which has proved very profitable. In 1861 Mr. Moore married Miss Kate
Pyeatt, a daughter of his partner, J. R. Pyeatt, and their union was
blessed in the birth of four children: Henry (who is a physician of
the county), Charles R., Bettie and Lucy. Mrs. Moore died in 1877, and
he afterward married his present wife, Miss Josephine Moore, a
daughter of James Moore. She was born in East Tennessee, and was
reared in Texas and Missouri. They are members of the Cumberland
Presbyterian Church, and are worthy citizens of the county. Mr. Moore
has a good farm, which he manages in connection with his mill, and a
fine orchard of forty-five acres.
The below brief history is derived from the John Rankin Pyeatt Letters (MS P99) written to Elizabeth Pyeatt, 1848-1850, Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville, regarding his trip to the gold fields of California.
Upon hearing of the money to be made prospecting for gold, John Rankin Pyeatt, along with others from the Cain Hill, Arkansas vicinity, decided to leave for California. This happened in the spring of 1849. They joined others headed from the East to the West in a wagon train. Besides John Rankin Pyeatt, ohers in the company included A. B. Crawford, James Crawford, James Carnahan, S. B. Marrs, and John's brothers, Porter and James. After the last rendevous, just before entering the Indian Territory, the company consister of forty wagons, one hundred and twenty-three men, three women, two boys and one "old man."
On the night of the 27th of April, 1949, a group of Osage Indians had camped near them. This seemed to entertain the boys that were traveling with them, as the Indians had some sort of dance. Even before arriving in Indian Territory on April 28, 1949, several people from the company had become sick, including Marrs, Carnahan and A. B. Crawford. A. B. Crawford's mare had dissappeared, and this was blamed on the Cherokee Indians. James Carnahan's mare had also got loose, but was recovered.
Around the 18th of June, they arrived in Pueblo on the Arkansas River. Pueblo at that time was not in any organized territory. Now it is included in Colorado. The travel rate up to that time had been between one hundred and one hundred and twenty miles per week. The plan at that point was to take the southern pass by way of Fort St. Vrain, the site which in now in Weld County, Colorado. That route would intersect the Independence Trail, which would then take them to Salt Lake.
In Pueblo, they were told by some that other wagon trains had passed that way, and that the grass was scarce the rest of the way into Salt Lake. This was probably done so that members of the party would be discouraged and sell what they had cheaply, and then return from where they came. Later, some one else told them that it was only five or six hundred miles to Salt Lake and that the going was easy. However, some of the party had already sold most of their possessions and had decided to turn back.
The Pyeatts, Carnahans and Marrs, along with others decided to go on to Salt Lake, while others from Cain Hill decided to return. The party left for Fort St. Vrain, which was about one hundred and forty miles from Pueblo. The road was good and they made good time. They arrived at the then deserted Fort St. Vrain, and finding the river unpassable, buit a ferry out of planks that they found there. The ferry was large enough that they could load the largest of their wagons without unloading them.
BIRTH-DEATH:Cemeteries of Washington County, Arkansas;Fayetteville, Ark.;
Washington Co. Hist. Soc.;vol. 1;Call# US/CAN 976.714 V22ws.
MARRIAGE:Arkansas marriages, early to 1850;Orem, UT;Liahona Research;1990.
From Flashback, Vol23, No 2: "John Rankin Pyeatt came to Washington County and erected the first frame house built in that section. It is situated abouta mile above the present village of Cane Hill (and still standing in 1998). The Pyeatt mill was a by a spring at the foot of hte hill and the house was build on top of the same hill, because of the fear of the mosquitoes which had so troubled thme near Little Rock."
Sources: 1850, 1860 U.S. federal census;Cane Hill, Washington Co., Arkansas
BIRTH-DEATH:Cemeteries of Washington County, Arkansas;Rogers, Ark.;NW Arkansas
Genealogical Soc.;vol. 4 (Spring, 1982);Call# US/CAN 976.714 V3c (v.4)
MARRIAGE:Arkansas marriages, early to 1850;Orem, UT;Liahona Research;1990.
Their newspaper announcement, says dau of Widow Buchanan, formerly of Lincoln
Co, TN, both of Cane Hill, married by John C Blair
Their marriage record also calls her Miss
Both state they were married in Washington County, Arkansas
- Will Johnson, [email protected], <mailto:[email protected],> Professional Genealogist,
James Andrew (Piatt)
Sources: 1) 1850, 1860 U.S. federal census-- Cane Hill, Washington Co.,
He later went to California with the 49-ers & died at sea in the Gulf of Mexico.