Miscellaneous Obituary/DEATH Notices

taken from various newspapers



South Australia Magazine,   April 1842 issue


On Saturday April 23rd, died William Hancock Esq., of North Tce, leaving behind him a wife and a newly born child, as also a numerous

circle of friends to deplore his loss. Mr Hancock’s strict integrity and great aptitude for business, combined with his correct and highly cultivated taste,

rendered him an ornament to his profession and would have placed him high among his compeers, has his life, so suddenly cut short, been spared.

Many of the public erections of Adelaide, however, among which we may mention St John’s Church and the Bank of South Australia,

survive as enduring monuments of his architectural taste and skill



Adelaide Chronicle dated the 29th March 1913



Mrs Christina Behla of Kista, Victoria whose death is announced came to Adelaide in 1855 with her husband who died 16 years ago.

After residing in different parts of the state for 31 years, they removed to Victoria. Old residents of Gawler, Saddleworth and Hope Valley

will remember Mr and Mrs Behla. A son and three daughters survive her.


NHILL March 10-Mrs Christina Behla, an old resident of the Nhill district who was in her 81st year, died this week. With her husband

(who died 16 years ago), she landed in Adelaide in 1855. They were engaged in farming at hope Valley, Saddleworth and Gawler.

When land was thrown open in the Wimmera district, they settled near Nhill, where they resided for 24 years. Mrs Behla left one son

and three daughters.


Barrier Daily Truth – Broken Hill 5/9/1917


Death of Simon Casey – The Inquest Adjourned

This afternoon the Coroner Mr T Hall conducted an inquest into the death of Simon Peter Casey who was today found dead at Mr Matters

dairy in William Lane off Jones street, West Broken Hill. Dr J F Bartley, Government Medical Officer, said he examined the body of

deceased, who was about 65 years of age. It was partly lying on a couch with both feet on the floor and was dressed in a coat, vest, shirt

and flannel. On the upper part of the abdomen there was a penetrating wound 21/2 inches long. The blood stained table knife, produced,

which was found on a box near the body, could have caused the wound. The knife was sharpened down to a point at the end. The injury

could have been self inflicted and would require a strong, determined blow with the knife. It appeared that deceased had lifted up his clothes

with one hand and stabbed himself with the other. Death was caused by haemorrhage and shock due to the wound. Owen Lloyd Matters,

a school boy, 11 years of age, stated that he last saw Casey alive about 7p.m. yesterday. About 6.30 this morning he knocked at

Casey’s door and not receiving an answer walked in. He saw blood on the floor and the dead body and raised the alarm.

Stanley Bennett Matters, said that about a fortnight ago deceased, who had just been discharged from the hospital, was “on his uppers”, and

witness engaged him to do odd jobs about the place. Casey seemed in good spirits last night, and said “good night all” before going

to bed. Deceased suffered from rheumatics.

Henry Fotherby, dairyman, said that deceased was a single man and a native of Ireland. He had been in Australia about 11 years.

Deceased had said that he ran away from home when a boy and joined the British Navy, which he deserted and enlisted in the American

Army. He had been severely frostbitten in Alaska. Deceased, who was a well read man, was always cheerful. The inquest adjourned until

September 18 to enable the police to make further inquiries.


Adelaide Chronicle dated the 29th March 1913



The death occurred on March 22 at Childers Street, North Adelaide of Mr Alfred Dixon, well known in connection with church

work for many years. he was born at Brinkworth, near Malmesbury, Wiltshire, England in 1852 and was educated at the

Hannah More grammar School, Bristol. He arrived in Victoria in 1858 and the following year came to South Australia and spent

several years in the north as station overseer. Subsequently he came to Adelaide where he carried on business as carpenter and

builder until 1911. He was a member of the committee of the British and Foreign Bible Society and was an ardent Bible student.

For a time he was superintendent of the Adelaide Chinese Mission. he took an active interest in all Christian and philanthropic work,

and was specially interested in young people, whose welfare he had always at heart. At the time of his death he was superintendent of

the Wellington Square Methodist Church Sunday School. He was a member of St. Andrews Freemasons Lodge and also of the

Loyal Albion Lodge of Oddfellows M.U. He was one of the pioneers of the Loyal Orange Institution of South Australia and founder

with the late Mr J S Bagshaw of the incorporated trust. He had filled the position of R.W.G.M. of the Grand Lodge and was a prominent 

and faithful Orangeman. Mr Dixon left a widow, two sons (Mr A.C. Dixon, N.A. and Mr H.H. Dixon of Tennants Creek),

five daughters (Mrs G.T. Heritage, Birkenhead, and the Misses M.E., C.E., A.E., AND E.A. Dixon, North Adelaide) and five grandchildren.


Adelaide Chronicle dated the 29th March 1913



The death is announced of Mr D.F. Easom, who was well known in the early days as a manufacturer

of agricultural implements. Mr Easom arrived in South Australia in the early forties and shortly afterwards bought

property at Enfield, where he started the manufacture of agricultural implements and his business gradually developed

into the largest of its kind in the state. He continued to work at his trade at the Enfield establishment until 1880

when he retired and settled down privately at Glenelg, where he lived for about 20 years after which he resided with

his daughters at North Adelaide. The deceased was born in Lincolnshire and served his apprenticeship at the works of

Hornsby & Sons. On two occasions he visited England and renewed acquaintance with old friends.

For some years he was a member of the Yatala South District Council before Prospect was made a

separate council. Mr Easom was married three times and the members of his family living are

Mr J F Easom of Unley, Mrs F Gerner of Glenelg, Mrs Foster of Mildura and Miss Easom of North

Adelaide. There are also 12 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.


Adelaide Chronicle dated the 29th March 1913


Strathalbyn, March 20, Mr James Fleming who died at the residence of his son at Mount Lofty this week, was one of the

early residents of Strathalbyn, where he was engaged in the business of a storekeeper for many years. Mr Fleming arrived in

South Australia in 1848 in the ship Forfarshire and settled here shortly afterwards. He began business as manager of a store

owned by Messrs Walker & Hall, and later on became a partner when Mr Hall dropped out of the firm. Still later he conducted

business on his own account and for several years he was the proprietor of the largest general store here. About 30 years ago he

sold the business and proceeded to Adelaide, where he joined the Customs Department and until a few years ago he was well

known in that department as one of the most shrewd men in the service, although he was advanced in years. Since his retirement

he had been living with his son at Mount Lofty who is manager of Mr L Conrad’s small goods department. He had been ill for

several months and his death had been expected daily for many weeks. The body was brought to Strathalbyn for burial.




Adelaide Chronicle dated the 29th March 1913



Mr Thomas Hosking who died at his residence, “Terowieville”, Fisher Street, Malvern, was born near Penzance, Cornwall on

October 5, 1841 and arrived in South Australia with his parents by the ship Reliance on June 1, 1847. The family settled at Burra

and from there went to the Californian goldfields. On returning to the state they settled at Tam O’Shanter Belt, where they resided for

a number of years. Mr Hosking then removed to Green’s Plains and was the first man to plough land in that locality. Later on he entered

into business at Clare and afterwards conducted a business and carried on farming pursuits at Terowie for over 30 years. Owing to failing

health he removed to Malvern six years ago and although suffering from an incurable complaint was able to be about until the day of his

death. A widow, five sons and two daughters survive.


Adelaide Chronicle dated the 29th March 1913



The death is announced of Mrs Fanny Isaacs who lived at Melbourne Street, North Adelaide. Mrs Isaacs who was in her

91st year was a native of London, arrived in South Australia in 1851. She had an excellent memory to the last and frequently

used to refer to events of 70 and 80 years ago as if they had happened only recently.



Adelaide Chronicle dated the 29th March 1913



Mrs Weisendanger, whose death was announced in “The Chronicle” last week was born in Hamburg on December 11, 1812 so

that she was100 years and 3 months of age at the time of her death. She arrived in South Australia in the ship Steinweider in

1840 and had been a widow for 32 years. (photo in the newspaper)






Home Page