Crich - in Bagshaws Directory

[Return to HomePage]   [Parish Registers - Index]  [Glover's]  [Old Crich Families] [Education]  [Top] [Stoneworkers & Lead Miners]  [Framework Knitting]  [Links]  [Shelley-History]  [Pictures]  [Crich Strays]
[Tale of Crich - A History of Our Parish]  [Memorials]

What it says about Crich Parish

CRICH, an extensive parish partly in the Morleston and Litchurch, partly in the Scarsdale and partly in the Wirksworth hundreds. It contains the township of Crich in Morleston and Litchurch, the township of Wessington in Scarsdale, and the hamlet of Tansley in the Wirksworth hundred. The entire parish contains 6,180 acres of land, rich in minerals, and of every variety of soil. Rateable value, �4,381. Population in 1801, 1,413; in 1831, 2,215; in 1841, 3,698. A picturesque district of lofty hills and deep vallies. At the Norman survey the manor belonged to Ralph FitzHubert, from whom it passed to the Frecheville's. Sir Roger Belers, who died seized of a fit in 1380, left 2 daughters, who possessed it in moieties; but the whole ultimately devolved to the decendants of Sir Robert de Swillington, who married the elder ; it afterwards passed to Ralph Lord Cromwell, who in the reign of Henry VI. sold the reversion to John Talbot second Earl of Shrewsbury. On the death of Gilbert Earl of Shrewsbury in 1616, it was divided between his daughters and coheiresses, the Countesses of Kent, Pembroke, and Arundel; since which time it has been sold to various persons.

CRICH, a township and considerable village pleasantly situated at the cross of roads from Alfreton to Cromford and Wirksworth, 5 miles W. b. S, from Alfreton, 4 miles S. E. from Cromford, and 5 miles N. from Belper. It contains 3,770 acres of land, 577 houses, and 2,619 inhabitants, of whom 1,346 were males and 1,273 females. The land is freehold, and owned by many individuals, Earl of Thanet, F. Hurt, Esq., S. Travis, Esq., and many others are lords of the manor of the liberty of Crich, for which John Charge, Esq. is the Steward of the court leet and court baron within the manor and liberty of Crich, and holds a court at Crich for the hearing of complaints, and settling disputes relating to the mines, according to the custom of the liberty; Mr. Joseph Mather is bar master. The Church, St. Michael's, was appropriated to Derley abbey, by Robert de Ferrers, Earl of Derby. It is a vicarage, valued in the King's books �6 10s, 10d., now �98, has been augmented with �200 benefactions, �200 Queen Anne's bounty, and �600 parliamentary grant. Sir Wolstan Willoughby Dixie, Bart., is the patron, Sir R. Wilmot. the impropriator, and the Rev. Thos. Carson, B.A., the incumbent. The church, a handsome structure, situated on a commanding eminence, has a nave, chancel, and two side aisles, with a tower and 5 bells, and formerly had 2 chantries in it. The Vicarage is a neat modern house a little west of the church. The Methodists have a handsome chapel here, and one at Wheatcroft. The Primitive Methodists occupy a room erected by the Independent Friendly Society in 1835, and they have also a chapel at Fritchley. The Independents also have a handsome chapel at Fritchley, erected in 1841, of which the Rev. Wm. Christie is the pastor. Crich school, the property of Robert Lee, Esq., of Dimple house, was occupied by Mr. John Walker for about 50 years, is now in the occupation of Mr. W. Walker, B.A.

This was formerly a market town, and still has 2 annual fairs, on Lady-day, and on Old Michaelmas-day, when the feast is held. The inhabitants are principally employed in the lead mines and lead works, in the limestone quarries and lime-burning, and partly in the hosiery trade, here being about 90 frames. Crich Cliff mines, known by the names of Glory, Pearson's venture, and Wakebridge, with several others in the neighbourhood, have been the most productive of any in the county for the last 30 years, and one-ninth is given to the lords of the manor. W. E. Nightingale, Esq., receives one-sixth of the ore raised at Wakebridge mine as lessor, Messrs. Wass and Cox are lessees. Calamine is got at Bonsall and in the neighbourhood, but spelter having superseded it, the mines are very little worked. The Ridgway sough, from Crich cliff to the river Derwent, clears the Crich cliff mines, and a steam engine of 50 horses' power pumps the water at the Wakebridge mine into this sough. They also have an engine of 10 horses' power to draw and crush the ore. Meerbrook sough, 1 mile N. from Whatstandwell bridge, runs in a westwardly direction towards the rich mining field near the town of Wirksworth. It was commenced in 1772 by a company of adventurers. It is now in the hands of 400 shareholders of �50 each, which are now at a premium of �30 per share. When completed it will be about 2 miles in length, the average height 6 ft. and 4 ft. wide. Its object is to drain the water front the lead mines. It has already cost �70,000, and is estimated to cost �8,000 more. The proprietors are incorporated under an act of parliament passed 31st June, 1841, which enables them to raise tolls for the maintenance thereof, and by which they are enabled to take any portion of the ore not exceeding one-sixth. The shaft is now, (1835), drawing up the material from a depth of 211 yards, by a steam engine of 10 horses power. There are smelting furnaces at Bonsall, Lea, and Meerbrook Lead works, with red lead manufactories, and rolling mills at Lea leadworks and Bonsall. Crich Stand, half a mile N. from Crich. It stands on very high ground, and from its top a prospect is obtained extending over several counties, and it is said into Wales. It is the property of F. Hurt, Esq.

Crich Lime is noted for its superior quality. The Butterley Iron Company have extensive quarries, and George Stephenson & Co., at the Cliff, have extensive works at Bull Bridge, near the Ambergate railway station. The stone is brought from Crich Cliff on two inclined planes worked by wire ropes, one of which is supposed to be the steepest in the kingdom; it is 500 yards long, and rises about 1 in 10. Waggons are let down by a break attached to a drum. The other, 600 yards long, rises1 in 36, worked by a wire rope round an horizontal shield, about one mile of railroad, and another inclined plane longer than either of the above 80 men arc employed, aided by a steam engine of 10 horse power. The sale of lime and stone is 40,000 tons during the year, which is continually increasing. Here are 20 kilns of between 30 and 40 feet in depth and 11 diameter, with cones 20 feet high. G. Stevenson, Esq. the noted railway engineer, is the principal proprietor, and with his accustomed boldness and energy, is about to increase his number by at least one half.

CHARITIES. - John Kirkland, in the year 1562, left 40s. per annum, payable out of a farm called Wheat Croft, to the poor of this parish for ever. This farm is the property of Mr. James Swettenham of Wood, and his tenant pays the rent charge. The amount is distributed on St Thomas' day.

Rent Charge. - It is recorded on a tablet in the church, that some person unknown gave 5s. a-year out of Sheldon Pingle, which sum is paid by the owner, Samuel Stocks, on the 21st of December, one moiety thereof to the vicar and the other to the parish officers, who distribute it on St Thomas' day. Two other rent charges are mentioned, but they have been lost before the memory of any person now living.

Francis Gisborne charity, (see Bradley.) - The yearly sum of �5. 10s. is received by the vicar in respect of this, and laid out in the purchase of flannel and cloth, and given to the poor.
The principal villages and houses, with their distances and bearing, in Crich, are - Bull Bridge, 1 3/4 miles S.E.; a village and bridge over the Cromford canal, the North Midland railway passing close on the E. Here are the extensive lime works of George Stephenson and Co., and Curtis and Harvey's gunpowder magazine. - Coddington, 3/4 miles W. - Crich Carr, 3/4 miles W. - Crich Chase, 2 miles S. - Fritchley, a small village 1 1/4 miles S. on a branch of the Cromford canal. - Hat Factory, a small village 3/4 miles S. Here the Butterley Iron Company have extensive limestone quarries. - Holloway, Nether and Upper, 2 miles N.W. from Crich, but principally in the liberty of Lea. - Park Head, 1 mile S.E., Plaistow Green, 1 mile N. from Crich. - Wakebridge Mines, 1 mile N.W. from Crich. - Whatstandwell Bridge, 1 1/4 miles W. sometimes called Hotstandwell, a small village on the Cromford road, situated in a delightful vale, with lofty eminences rising from the Derwent, well clothed with trees, noted for the Bull's Head Hotel, 3 miles S.E. from Matlock Bath, fitted up with every accommodation, and visitors to it are permitted to fish in the Derwent. - Wheatcroft, a small pleasant village, 2 miles N. from Crich.

TANSLEY, a township, chapelry, and village in the parish of Crich and the Wirksworth Hundred, 1 1/2 miles E. from Matlock, 5 miles N.N.E. from Crich, in the Bakewell Union, contains 1,150 acres of land. of which 5000 are unenclosed, 111 houses, and 549 inhabitants, of whom 267 were males, and 282 females. A cotton mill was erected here at an early period, and here is now an extensive smallware manufactory, and one for candlewick. This place is noted for the extensive and thriving nursery of Mr Joseph Smith, and for a superior grit stone for building purposes. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor; Heathcote Unwin, Esq. Edward Radford, Esq. Rev. John Woolley, and Mr Thomas Shipley, are owners. A district church was erected here in 1839, and opened for divine worship 1840. It is a neat stone structure with a tower and pinnacles, contains 800 sittings, of which 120 are free. The living, a perpetual curacy of the value of �107, having been endowed, and received a parliamentary grant. Rev. Henry Smith, incumbent. A handsome parsonage is to be erected near the church, at a cost of �1,000, of which sum �500 is furnished by the commissioners for building parsonage houses, and �200 by the society for the same purpose, the remainder raised by subscription. A handsome Gothic school, with a house for the master, has been erected (through the exertions of E. Radford, Esq.) by the incorporated society for establishing schools, and opened in 1843. It is principally supported by the children, who pay from 2d. to 8d. per week, of whom about 60 attend, with occasionally small grants from the society. The Methodists have a neat chapel.
The manor of Tansley, which belonged to the Knights Templars, and afterwards to the Hospitallers, is supposed to have been granted to George or Francis Earl of Shrewsbury. William Earl of Pembroke, who married one of the co-heiresses of Gilbert Earl of Shrewsbury, sold it to William Earl of Newcastle, from whom it passed, with Bolsover and other estates, to his Grace the Duke of Portland.

WESSINGTON OR WASHINGTON, is a township and village in the parish of Crich, pleasantly situated on an open green, and in the Scarsdale hundred, 3 miles N. from Crich, 3 1/2 miles N.W. by W. fmm Alfreton. It contains 1,250 acres of land, 112 houses, and 525 inhabitants - of whom 292 are males, and 233 females. Mr. George Wragg, of Road Nook hall, which is situated in the liberty of Brackenfield, is the lord of the manor, freehold and principal owner. Miss Hopkinson is also a considerable owner. The soil is clay. The village contains about 90 stocking frames, and the Feast is the second Sunday in August. A Sunday school was erected by subscription in 1841, which is now licensed as an Episcopal place of worship, and the vicar of Crich officiates in it. At the Domesday survey, this manor was held by Levine, under Ralph Fitz Hubert. It was given to the monks at Derley, by Ralph Fitz Odo, and Geoffrey de Constantine. King Henry VIII, granted it in 1514 to Thos. Babington, Esq. In 1611, Gilbert Earl of Shrewsbury was lord of the manor; in 1657 it was sold by the Earl of Arundel, grandson of one of his co-heiresses, to Richard Taylor and William Hill.

CHARITIES. - Hunter's charity, (see Horsley.) The yearly sum of �1 5s. is received by this township, and distributed with 5s. from Rean's charity amongst 15 poor families of the township.

Edward Rean, in 1786 gave to the poor of this township half a house and land vested in Thomas Marsden, producing 5s. a year.

William Hill, in 1772, gave land producing 10s. per annum to widows not receiving parish relief. It is paid by John Wood, in respect of some part of his lands in Wessington, and the amount given according to the donors intention.


POST OFFICE. - Mr. Joseph Witham, Postmaster.
Letters arrive at 9 o'clock morning, and are despatched at 30 minutes past 5 afternoon.

Those marked 1, reside at Bull Bridge; 2, Crich Carr; 3, Crich Chase: 4, Coddington; 5, Culland; 6, Fritchley; 7, Hat Factory; 8, Holloway; 9, Lindway Lane; 10, Park Head; 11, Plaistow green; 12, Thurlow Booth; 13, Wakebridge; 14, Whatstandwell Bridge; 15, Wheatcroft.

Allsop Mrs Lydia, Cliffwood
Boden Wm. miner
Bowmer Joseph, stone leader
7 Butterley Co. lime-stone quar
2 Buxton Mr Henry
Carson Rev. Thos. B.A. vicar
Cartledge Mrs Elizabeth
6 Christie Rev. Wm. Indep. Minister
Cooper Mr John
Curzon George, miner
Dawes Thos. coal dealer
1 Else Wm. corn miller
Fletcher Mrs P.
13 Frost Wm. jun. whitesmith
3 Hay Robert, Canal wharf
Haynes Mrs Rachael
Hazlewood Mr Francis
1 Jowett Job, grit stone quarry owner
1 Mather Joph. barmaster for Crich, and lime and gunpowder agent
Mold John and Chas. iron and coal masters
2 Nightingale Maria
Pearson Peter, lime burner
1 Poyser Robert, maltster
Redfern Mrs. Mary, The Hall
Rutland Reuben, stone getter
Saxton John, Esq. Mansion hs
Smith Chas. gent, Grove house
1 Stephenson Geo. & Co. lime burners
Stocks George, hosier
Taylor Thos. saddler and harness maker
1 Topham Benjamin, cooper
Travis Thomas, Esq.
1 Webster James, canal agent
Wetton John, parish clerk
13 Wass & Cox mine lessees
Webster James, canal agent
Wheatcroft Saml. boatbuilder
Wheatcroft Thos. corn miller
6 Wightman Ann, bobbin mkr
Young Rd. plumber, glazier, and painter
Young Mr Samuel

Black Swan, James Smith
14 Bull's Head, Ann Burley
Bull's Head, Dvd. Towndrow
1 Canal Inn, Phoebe Poyser
Greyhound, Joseph Roe
Jovial Dutchman, Joseph Fritchley
King's Arms, Richd. Young
6 Red Lion, Wm. Sims
Rising Sun, Eliz. Bestwick
Wheat Sheaf, Charles Baker
4 Wheat Sheaf, Joseph Sims

6 Barrett William
8 Buxton Ann
2 Foster Joseph
1 Holmes William
Jackson Thomas
1 Masbey William
Rolley William
Severns John
2 Spencer Daniel
Towndrow Thonas
13 Walker Elizabeth
Walker John
8 Young Sarah

6 Maykin Joseph
Walker W. B.A.
Wigley Sarah
Witham Joseph

Cooper Joseph, Forge
Frost Wm. mineral, Cliff h. Bridge hill
Jeffries James, lime works
Summersides Thos. lime, h. Amber grove

6 Beresford Francis
14 Bunting John
Poyser William
Smith James
6 Stubbing Thomas

Bollington William
Cartledge James
Holmes George
6 Poyser James

6 Fritchley Joseph
Blunstone Francis
1 Henstock William
Hicton William
Smith R. W. and maltster
6 Taylor John

6 Bowmer Thomas
1 Else William
6 Harrison Mary
Wheatcroft Thomas

Amnat Thomas, Leashaw
2 Annable Joseph
Bacon John
Baker Charles
Bestwick Henry, Thorpe hill
Bowmer John, Barn close
6 Bowmer Thomas
Bownes George
Bryan John, Bent's hill
* Burley Ann
Clay Francis, High moor
Collins, Samuel, Hagg
4 Cowlishaw George
8 Else John
11 Greatorex William
11 Hall Joseph
10 Hartshorn John
3 Hay Robert
15 Hill George
15 Hopkinson John
Hopkinson Wm. Moorwood
6 Leam Joseph
Lee Robert, Dimple House
11 Lovegrove William
5 Ludlow Samuel
Lynam George
9 Marsden William
Marshall Mary, Pot house
Marshall Wm. Edge moor
Nightingale John, Mt. pleasant
Porter William, Edge
12 Poyser Hannah
3 Poyser Israel
Severns John
Shipston William
11 Sims Joseph
5 Slack Charles
Smith R. W.
8 Smith William
13 Spendlove Gervase, The Hall
Spendlove Isaac, Hollins
Taylor Ann
15 Tomlinson Martha
Towndrow David
10 Wall Jacob
10 Wheatcroft George
Walker George
Walker James
8 Wheatcroft Mary
15 Yeomans Thomas

Forman Thomas
Smith Fidler

Sellars Thomas
Walker Thomas
Wheatcroft David
Woolley Joseph

Beardah Thos. and druggist
Burton Jeremiah
Burton John, and baker
Cockayne Samuel
Lee George, and seedsman
Lee John W.
Lee Thomas, and chandler
Nightingale John

Britland Joseph
Grundy Anthony, Carr
Haynes John
Nightingale John
Wyvell Samuel

Beardall Thomas
Lee Thomas

Roe Mary
Taylor Ellen

6 Chell Benjamin
6 Chell John

Bramley Samuel
Flint Abraham
6 Leam Edward
2 Lee Joseph
1 Radford Samuel
Wheatcroft Thomas

Merchant William
14 Sims Samuel

Britland Joseph

Hall T. W.
Mackarsie William J.

Bunting Robert
Jenkinson William
Smith Francis
Wetton James

Leam Samuel
1 Poyser Israel
Smith John

Belper, Chas. Jackson, Sat
Derby, Ralph Poyser, Friday
Wirksworth, Bainbridge and Topham, Tuesday

From the Bull's Head Hotel.
Mail to Manchester, 10 A.M. and to Derby 5 P.M.
Champion, to Manchester, 30 min. past 10 A.M. and to Nottingham at 30 minutes past 4 P.M.
Peak Guide, to Amber Gate at 12 noon, and to Buxton at 30 min. past 4 P.M.
Omnibus to Amber Gate and Matlock, 4 times a-day

Bobauks Jas. groc. & chandlr
Bown Anthony, blacksmith
Bown Bower, vict. Gate
Calow Francis, wood turner
Calow William, shoemaker
Cook John, shopkeeper
Crossly John & Edwin, wood turners
Crofts John, schoolmaster
Farnsworth John, bleacher, h. Matlock
Farnsworth Rd. book-keeper
Gregory Benjamin, shopkeeper
Hackett John & Son, smallware manufacturers
Hibbert George, book-keeper
Potter John, mason
Radford Edw. Esq. Wood
Radford John & Sons, candlewick manufrs. Tansley mills
Shipley Thomas, clerk
Slack William, beerhouse
Smith Rev. Henry, incumbent, Parsonage
Smith Joseph, nurseryman
Smith Samuel, dyer
Spencer William, shoemaker
Thatcher John, shopkeeper
Twigg Thomas, vict. George and Dragon

Bown Bower
Eaton Ann
Fox James
Fox John
Hicklin William
Lomas John
Staley George
Spencer Job
Twigg Thomas
Twigg William
Watts Daniel
Wetton George

Askew John, stonemason
Frost John, corn miller, Bunting house
Haslem William, vict. Three Horse Shoes
Hodgson Jas. wheelwrt. Brooks
Knowles Mr Robert
Lane William, shoemaker
Lilley John, frmwk. knitter
Mountney Jas. shopkeeper
Noble Mark, framewrk. knitter
Rawson Thomas, shopkeeper
Taylor James, vict. & butcher, Horse & Jockey
Taylor Tim. boot & shoe maker
Wheatcroft Wm. shoemaker and beerhouse

Bansall Mathew
Bryan Matthew
Camm Mathew
Fox John
Goodwin William
Marriott Mary
Marshall Elizabeth
Rawson Elizabeth
Sims Charles
Wain James
Wetton William
White Joseph
Willott George
Wragg Edward

[Return to HomePage]   [Parish Registers - Index]  [Glover's]  [Old Crich Families] [Education]  [Top] [Stoneworkers & Lead Miners]  [Framework Knitting]  [Links]  [Shelley-History]  [Pictures]  [Crich Strays]
[Tale of Crich - A History of Our Parish]