Newspaper Transcripts

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

22nd October 1842

Literary Institution

On Wednesday evening last, Mr.Hersee gave a gratuitous lecture in the theatre of this institution on "The Beauties of Childe Harold." After eulogising in strong terms the exquisite beauty of this poem - the masterpiece of Byron's productions, Mr.H described the structure and object of it. In pointing out the manifold beauties of Childe Harold, the lecturer classified them under three heads, viz, the reflective, the narrative, and the descriptive, illustrating his remarks by many beautiful quotations, which he read in the most pure and correct manner, eliciting the warmest marks of approbation. In concluding his lecture, Mr.H., repudiated the aspertions which had been cast upon this splendid poem, as indicative of Byron's disbelief in a future state, and clearly demonstrated that his traducers had displayed the most profound ignorance in their assertions, and quoted portions of this very poem to prove precisely to the contrary. The lecture was well attended, and appeared to give the greatest satisfaction - Last evening Mr.Otway delivered the first of a series of lectures on "The Tragedies of Shakspere." The subject was Macbeth, and his delineation of the character, and remarks on the piece itself, drew forth great applause from a numerous and respectable audience.

P align=center> The American Circus

The American company of equestrians, which we announced last week would visit Windsor, entered the town by Frogmore, from Uxbridge, on Monday morning; this visit was anxiously looked for by a number of persons in consequence of the announcement that the cavalcade - a procession of caparisoned horses, would, on entering the town, pass through the principal streets, preceded by a band of music in a carriage drawn by eight splendid cream coloured horses, driven eight in hand. The procession, indeed, in passing through the High-street, &c., to Eton College, and back again to Windsor, attracted considerable and general notice, particularly the eight in hand, all good cattle, and driven in a masterly style.
The driver turned his team at Eton College, and again into Peascod-street, with perfect ease, and drove under the gateway into the yard of the Bull Inn, from Peascod-street, in admirable style. All this attraction drew together most excellent audiences at the three performances given under a capacious tent in the Bachelor's Acre. Of the performances we are enabled to speak in the highest terms, and they gave the most general satisfaction. The feats of horsemanship by Messrs. Buckley, Sands, and W.O.Dale, and Master Buckley, were spirited and wonderful performances; and the waltz and gallopade by the troop of ten mounted horses, were equally so. Besides the equestrian performances, a performing pony and dog attracted considerable notice, particularly the latter, who, besides a variety of odd tricks, astonished the company by walking upon his fore legs. Among the vaulting troop Mr.W.O.Dale shown conspicuously, turning on one occasion no less than thirty-seven successive summersets - and this, we were informed by the manager, was much less than his usual number, which averaged fifty, and on one occasion he actually turned himself over sixty successive times. The "Gymnastic exercises" of the three Reveas were astonishing performances, and equally so was that of Mr.G.Smith on the slack rope, designated the "cord crescent." A variety of amusing songs were introduced during the performances by Mr.Sweeney; and Mr.Derious introduced a novel, and extraordinary exhibition, called "La Franca Hispaniola," which was lying on his back on a couch, and balancing and tossing about with his feet, a large pole, with as much ease as if he was using his hands for the purpose.
The band was an excellent one, and the various performances were so rapidly introduced, that the company were incessantly kept amused. At Uxbridge and Staines, we understand, the company were equally successful as they were at Windsor.

Fatal Accident

On Saturday last a little boy named Challoner, about 9 years of age, was run over by a waggon on the turnpike road at Slough, and died almost immediately afterwards. It appears that the little sufferer was with his father, who was at work at the road side, and when the accident occurred was in the act of fetching his father's pickaxe from the opposite side of the road.

Awful Instance of Sudden Death

On Thursday evening week a lady named Bourchier, widow of the late Rev.Mr.Bourchier, who was residing at Braywick, met with her death very suddenly. She had been ailing for some time, but was on that evening, while in her apartment, attacked with a fit, and was only able to utter the words to her servant who was with her, "I am dying," "I am dying," when she fell and never spoke afterwards.
On Sunday evening another awful instance of the uncertainty of human existence occurred to Mrs.Wakefield, the lady of Daniel Wakefield , Esq., of Bournebridge House, Holyport, an eminent barrister, and magistrate for the county of Berks. On that afternoon that lady, who was in her usual health, had been out walking, but shortly after she had returned home she was seized with a fit, and although assistance was promptly at hand she expired in a short time.
On Monday last, a third instance of a similarly awful nature occurred at Salthill, to Mr.Buckland, who has for many years carried on the business of a blacksmith at that place. While he was in the act of handing a piece of iron to one of his men in his shop he suddenly fell down and expired.

Pigeon Shooting

The first meeting of the Windsor Royal Albert Club, for the present season, took place on Monday last in a field at Spital, when, for a beginning, the muster was much better than customary. The first three matches between sides chosen by Messrs. Hill and Wynyard, were all won by Mr.Wynyard's party; the first by three birds, the second by seven, and the third by six. A sweepstakes, at three birds each, was then divided by Messrs. Wynyard and Bacon, by killing all; and a second sweep was bagged by Mr.Wynyard, who again killed his number. Out of 176 birds shot at in the matches and sweepstakes, 113 were bagged, about 13 fell out of bounds, and 50 were left to the mercy of the "outscouts." The birds, which were the best blue-rocks, and amazingly light in the wing, were furnished by Barber, of Battersea; and at the conclusion of the sport the whole party, with the addition of several friends, adjourned to the Three Tuns Inn, and partook of an excellent dinner, at which Mr.J.Clode presided with his usual ability.

The New Mews

These buildings having now approached so nearly their completion as to be ready for the reception of the carriages and horses of her Majesty and his Royal Highness, Prince Albert, and which will be fully occupied by them probably on return of the court from Brighton (whither it will go we believe on the 8th of next month), a sketch of the whole of the works will, we have no doubt, be interesting to our readers. The original plans for the Mews were designed by the late Sir Jeffrey Wyatville, who, on the 13th of August, 1839, laid the foundation stone at the east end of the ground, close to the park, the spot on which now is erected the royal entrance to the riding-school; and on the 31st of December of the same year the works may be said to have fairly commenced. Parliament, it will be recollected, voted the sum of 70,000 , which was Sir Jeffrey's estimate as the whole of the cost, and the works, which were then promised should be completed within the period of three years - a promise both as to time and expenditure, it will be seen, has been kept with much more accuracy than the generality of public contracts, although a further sum may be required to carry out the whole of the original views, and entirely complete the building.
Death, however, prevented Sir Jeffrey Wyatville from seeing the termination of the work, and the carrying out his designs devolved upon Henry Ashton, Esq., a gentleman who had long assisted Sir Jeffrey in his works, and who has executed his duty with great ability. The contractors were Messrs. Grissell and Peto.
The stables, &c., stand altogether upon about three acres of ground. The frontage to the Park is between 500 and 600 ft. Commencing at the Grand Entrance on Castle-hill, is a broad gravelled carriage road that runs down to the general entrance at the bottom of St Alban's-street; at this latter place is a rather extensive lodge, the lower part of which is to be assigned as the residence of the porter at that gate, and the upper part as apartments for some of the servants employed about the stables.
At the entrance on Castle-hill there are two diverging roads; that to the left leading to the house and garden of the Clerk of the Stables to her Majesty, at present in a dilapidated and unsightly state, and that to the right to some carpenter's shops now in course of erection. Further down, on the right hand side of the main road, is the engine-house, and adjoining is a vacant spot of ground, on which it is intended to erect a residence for Mr.Whitman, the Clerk of the Works. We then come to a large pair of folding gates, within which to the right is a very neat porter's lodge, fitted up with every regard to convenience and comfort. Below that is a space of ground intended, it is understood, for a Tennis Court, but not yet commenced. On the same side, and between that and the general entrance, is the spacious building so long known as "Lower Lodge," formerly the seat of the Duke of St.Alban's, of whom it was purchased by George III, and in which the junior members of his family were brought up; which was afterwards occupied by the lamented Princess Charlotte of Wales, and more recently by some of the upper servants of succeeding Sovereigns.
The building has been entirely altered, enlarged, and improved, so as to present as nearly as possible an uniform appearance with the adjacent buildings, and contains upwards of fifty rooms. It is to be applied to the use of the married servants of the stabling department. There are two general mess-rooms in it, with upwards of forty cupboards, for the use of the stable servants; and the basement storey will be occupied by stores, &c. At the end of this building a clock tower has been erected, in which there is now placed a four-faced clock (not to strike), which will not only be visible from all parts of the Mews, but from many parts of the town.
The riding-school, stabling, coach houses &c., are to the left of the road from Castle-hill. The riding-school is probably the finest in the kingdom, being a lofty and noble structure of the dimensions 165ft 6 and 51ft 6, and nearly 30ft high; it is the largest building of the kind excepting that at Brighton, which is 174ft by 57. From the roof are suspended three gas chandeliers, the centre having four burners, and the others two each, which give a brilliant and powerful light over the whole interior of the building. To this school there are two entrances, the eastern being as above stated that appropriated for the use of her Majesty, the Prince, and the Court, who can, when they please, leave the Castle for the school by a short cut across the Park, without public observation. On the right hand side of the gateway a neat stone staircase leads to a handsome gallery for the use of her Majesty, and from which the exercising of the horses can be seen. The front facing the school is of plate glass, and the opposite side is also of glass, the window opening to a gallery. From this room also her Majesty can have an excellent view of the movements of the troops when they have a field day in the Home Park. The gallery is neatly, but not , gorgeously , furnished with several carved oak chairs covered with crimson morocco leather, and an oak table, carpet, looking glass, curtains, &c. Adjoining is a small retiring apartment. On the left of the entrance to the gateway is a small apartment, for the equerries in waiting. Over the window of the Royal Gallery are three stone compartments, in the centre of which are the arms of the United Kingdom surmounted by a crown; in the left one the arms of Prince Albert, with his Royal Highness's motto, "Trcu und Fest," surmounted by his Royal Highness's coronet; and in the right compartment the Garter, surrounding a plain shield of four quarters.
In the upper part of the building, over the Riding School is the Dormitory for the unmarried servants, for whom there are sleeping rooms for 26 persons with suitable conveniences. This Dormitory is approached by a staircase from the pony court.
The stabling is comprised generally in three quadrangles or courts, each about 100ft square, and are so constructed that the horses can be led to the riding school for exercise and back again to their stalls entirely under cover - an inclined passage leading the whole distance. The first quadrangle or court is called the Pony Court - appropriated, as its name imports for, the accommodation of her Majesty's ponies, with saddle, harness, and cleaning rooms, conveniences for hot and cold water, forage lofts, &c. There are stalls here for 38 horses, but they will not be wholly occupied by the ponies , as her Majesty's saddle horses will stand here. In each stable are cupboards for brushes, combs, horse-cloths, &c., a corn bin, and hay-box, made of deal, stained oak-colour, as are the whole of the stall divisions.
As the whole of the stables are on one plan, and fitted up in the same style, we may here more minutely describe them. Water is laid on in each, and the drainage and ventilation is perfect. The stables are very lofty and roomy, each stall being 6ft wide and 19ft 6 deep, and the whole is paved with Dutch clinkers; the width of the whole is 22ft, affording ample room behind the horses. They are all lighted by gas, both in the interior and exterior. The mangers are constructed on the best modern principle; the rim of each consists of cast iron rollers to prevent "crib-biting," and the backs of them up to, and on each side of the racks, the wall is faced with slating, The racks are of cast iron, and placed in the centre. The collar reins are made to run between brass rollers under the manger, and the log or weight in inclosed in a box so as to be perfectly out of the horse's way.
On one side of the Pony Court are standings for twelve pony carriages. All the carriage houses, which are 75ft long, are to be warmed by means of hot air. In the inclined passage between this court and the Riding School, is the Queen's Saddle room.
The second quadrangle is called the Saddle Horse Court, in which there are 25 stalls and three loose boxes, for the saddle horses of his Royal Highness Prince Albert. These all have the conveniences described in the pony establishment.
The third court is appropriated to the carriage horses of her Majesty, and the ponies which cannot be accommodated in the Pony Court; it contains 39 stalls, with coach-houses for 24 carriages, and open coach-house for breaks, the necessary wash houses and other conveniences. At the end of this court is a general receptacle for the litter, &c., which will be conveyed away by the gate leading thence into Park-street. Contiguous to this court will be erected the veterinary's surgeon's forge, shop, &c., and ten loose boxes have been constructed for sick or lame horses.
The whole buildings are of Heath and Bath stone, and brickwork; the Riding School, and the whole of the east front being of Heath stone, and they assimilate with the improved parts of the castle. The royal entrance, from the park to the riding school, has a very neat effect with its two towers at the sides of the gateway, and the foliage of the shrubbery on the whole of that side of the park, excepting at the spot where the entrance gate is.
Yesterday the possession of the new stables were formally given up by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests to the Master of the Horse, and some portions of the old Mews in Sheet-street are in such a dilapidated state, it has this week been thought desirable not to allow several of the servants to sleep in their apartments there any longer. We believe such portion of the stable department as will not be required by her Majesty at Brighton, will forthwith be removed to their new quarters.

The Old Mews

With respect to the old Mews in Sheet-street, we understand those buildings will be sold almost immediately, but , we believe, it has not yet been determined what shall be done with respect to their site. We hope, however, that the Commissioners of Wood and Forests will make up their minds to let the land on building leases, the parties taking it being bound to such a plan of erections as shall add to the appearance of the town, and at the same time be the sort of dwellings much wanted in Windsor for the accommodation of noblemen and gentlemen and their families.
We have not heard what it is intended to do eventually with the stabling in St.Alban's-street, or whether any alterations will be made in them at present. But it is most probable that they will continue to be used as stabling for some time yet, and be put in repair for the reception of such of her Majesty's horses as cannot be accommodated at the new Mews, because by our foregoing statement we have shown that there is only accommodation at the latter for 102 horses, whereas the united establishments of her Majesty and the Prince now at Windsor exceed that number.

Coroners Inquests

On Wednesday last an inquest was held before James May,Esq., coroner for Berks, at the Swan public house, at Clewer, on the body of Mr.Joseph Money, aged 86 years.

Mrs. Anne Stephens, the wife of the landlord of the Swan, stated that the deceased was her father, who for the last fortnight had been poorly, but he went about as usual. On Monday night she was with him at his house close by the Swan, and about 12 o'clock left him in bed. He then expressed himself comfortable and free of pain. She wished to stay with him, but he requested her to go home. The following morning she heard of his death. A few days previously she had wished him to have medical advice, but he declined it.

John Chandler, a blacksmith's apprentice, stated that he slept in a room adjoining the deceased's bed room, through which he had to pass to his own room.On Monday night on going through, he as usual asked the deceased how he was, to which he replied "much the same." Witness then wished him good night, which he returned and desired witness to shut the door.When witness got up the following morning at six o'clock, and was coming through the room, he asked deceased how he was, but receiving no reply he went to the bed, touched his arm, and found he was dead. Witness then gave an alarm. The partition between the rooms was very thin, but witness heard no noise during the night. The deceased had had his food regularly from the Swan, whence it was brought by a woman who attended him.

The Coroner observed that there did not appear to have been any inattention showed to the deceased; a proposal was made to him to have medical assistance, but he refused it, and he seemed to be rather eccentric in regard to his antipathy to doctors.

Mr.W.B.Holderness, surgeon, of Windsor, deposed that he had only seen the deceased once or twice for the last four years, but he (deceased) would never take anything. He was an eccentric character, and declined to take any medicine. That (Wednesday) morning witness made an examination of the body, but he found no marks of violence or of anything to indicate that he had come by his death unfairly. Witness was of the opinion that from his age and infirmities he had died from natural causes.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with Mr.Holderness's opinion.

On Wednesday last an inquest was held at the Fox and Hounds, Old Windsor, before J.May, Esq., coroner, touching the death of Thomas Cox. Frances Clarke deposed that she resided next door to the deceased; that he returned from his work on Monday night between six and seven o'clock apparently in good health; that he partook of tea with his family, and afterwards went into the yard attached to the house, and whilst employed in gathering together some wood, he suddenly dropped down, and never spoke afterwards. Mr.Heyward, surgeon, of Egham, was sent for, and promptly attended, but life was extinct before his arrival. Mr.G.P.Heyward, surgeon, deposed that he was desired to attend the deceased; that upon reaching his house deceased was dead, and he believed that his death arose from apoplexy. Verdict accordingly. Deceased formerly held an appointment as keeper in the Park, occupying residence in the Home Park, and the loss of this situation is believed to have preyed deeply upon his mind.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (mayor), and Sir John Chapman].

Thomas Bishop was charged with being drunk and disorderly on Saturday afternoon; and assaulting Davis, one of the police.

Davis stated that on Saturday afternoon he saw the prisoner in George-street, drunk and fighting. Witness went to prevent him going on in the same way, when the prisoner assaulted him and tore his coat.

The prisoner said he had come from London to see his brother who had enlisted, and having met him with a person who gave him some beer, it overcame him, and he did not know what he was doing. The defendant was fined 40s for the assault, and 4s 6d costs, and being unable to pay, he was adjudged to one month's hard labour.

Jane Swaine, Mary Anne Lawrence, Caroline Watts, and Mary Noyes, were charged as vagrants with sleeping in a straw yard belonging to Mrs.Hand, and injuring her property. [Please contact me at the email address above for full transcript]. Two of them were only 17 years of age, one 18, and the other 19 years old, and they had been many times before the magistrates.

Shakspeare Pindar Stockhore, a supernumerary constable, stated that at midnight he saw the prisoners and six other girls lying in Mrs.Hand's straw-yard, in the open air. They had broken open the bundles of straw for the purpose of providing themselves with a place to lie on, and two men were there with them. [.....].The magistrates committed Swaine and Lawrence to two months, and Watts and Noyes to six weeks hard labour.

Priscilla Baker and Jane Hands were brought up under a similar charge, being found in the same place, and they were committed - Baker for six weeks, and Hands for three weeks and to hard labour.

Some time ago an information was heard against John Stockbridge, for poaching at Frogmore, and he was summoned, but did not attend to it. He had absconded. A warrant was issued today for his apprehension.

[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), and R.Blunt, Esq.]

John Stockbridge, who had been apprehended on the previous day at Old Windsor by virtue of a warrant granted as above stated on Monday, in consequence of his not attending to a summons previously issued against him, was now brought before the magistrates.

The charge against him was for trespassing on Mr.Watkin's farm with a dog and gun, in pursuit of game. The charge was fully proved, and the defendant was fined 20s and 18s costs; not being able to pay he was committed to hard labour for one month.

Charles Whale, a shoemaker, living in Eton, was charged with assaulting James Horton, the younger, a policeman, on Monday night, at 11 o'clock. He was convicted and fined 9s including costs, and he was allowed a week to pay the money. In default to be imprisoned a week.


We understand that in consequence of the bakers of Egham and the villages adjacent keeping up the price of bread per loaf to the enormous sum of 8d the best and 7 1/2d for seconds, some gentlemen have had a private meeting to consider the best means to be adopted to supply the poor during the approaching winter with the "staff of life" at a fair price, and it was agreed to establish a "cheap bread association" upon the same plan as that which had just commenced at Woolwich, the poor will thus be enabled to purchase their bread at 6 1/2d the best and 5 1/2d for the seconds, per loaf. The rich as well as the poor will be allowed to have their bread at the same price by being subscribers of 1 to the association. We hope to see such an association in every large town; it is only by such means that the bakers and "rogues in grain" can be brought to their senses.

Burglary and Robbery at Hampton Court Palace

On Thursday - Colonel T.Wood, M.P. (for Middlesex) and Mr.Pattison , of Poyle, county magistrates, were occupied for several hours in the office of Mr.Randolph Horne, Staines, (clerk to the magistrates) in investigating into the circumstances connected with a most daring burglary and extensive robbery of valuable plate and other articles, which was committed on the night of Friday last, at Hampton Court Palace. The portion of the palace which was entered was the apartment of Mrs.Sheridan and that of Lady Dufferin, and the prisoners in custody are Henry Grover, aged thirty, a jobbing gardener of dissolute habits, living at Hampton-wick; Martha Grover, his wife, aged thirty one years; and Mary Ann Goatly, aged nineteen years, formerly cook, in the service of Mrs.Sheridan, which three were charged with burglary and robbery; and Susan Foster, sixty years of age, living in Deptford-lane, Peckham, who is the mother of Martha Grover, and is charged with having received a part of the property knowing it to have been stolen. After a lengthened examination, the prisoners were fully committed for trial.

Berks Michaelmas Sessions

On Monday the General Quarter Sessions of the Peace for this County, commenced in the Town-hall, Reading, before R.Palmer Esq. M.P., Chairman, and a full bench of magistrates.
The first day was devoted to the civil business of the county, but it was not of any general importance. The court proceeded with the trials on Tuesday morning.
The calendar presented a list of forty six prisoners, forty five of whom were for trial, and the other one had been detained in custody as a witness. In consequence of not being able to find sureties to appear and give evidence against three prisoners on a charge of felony. When he had given evidence he was discharged. The following are the results of the various cases:-

Thos.Blake, aged 40, and Geo.Blake, 31, were convicted of having, on the 15th of May at Thatcham, stolen three pieces of iron, the property of Mr.Cave. The former was sentenced to three months and the latter to one months hard labour.

James Brister, alias Field, 31, and Lydia Searle [my note:Scarle ?], were indicted, the former for having on the 23rd of July, at Wokingham, stolen a truss of hay, the property of John Houghton, and the female prisoner with receiving it, knowing it to have been stolen. Brister was convicted, and sentenced to three months hard labour, Scarle was acquitted.

Robt. Burgess, 21, for having stolen a smock-frock, the property of Wm.Aldridge, was sentenced to two months hard labour.

Charles Fidler , 25 , for having, at West Ilsley, on the 28th or 29th of July, stolen a watch and a pair of shoes, the property of John Barlow, the younger, was sentenced to seven years transportation.

Richard Rhymes, 48, was convicted of having, of the 2nd of August, at Ashampstead, stolen a fustian jacket, the property of John Lowendon, and sentenced to three months hard labour.

Joseph Lawrence, 22, for having on the 28th of July, at Midgham, stolen a quantity of bacon , the property of George Hazell, was sentenced to three months hard labour.

Benj. Burrett, 40, for having on the 7th of August, at Bray, stolen ten sheaves of wheat in the straw, the property of Thos.Glover, was sentenced to four months hard labour.

Thos. Gomm, 30, for having on the 6th of August, at Bray, stolen ten sheaves of wheat in the straw, the property of Thos.Glover, was sentenced to six months hard labour.

John Chaplin, 16, was convicted of having, on the 29th of July, at Clewer, stolen a waistcoat and handkerchief, the property of William Hearn [?]. He was sentenced to seven years transportation.

James Parker, 67 , for having on the 4th of August, at Sandhurst, stolen a bundle of heath[?] and a with, the property of James Brown, was sentenced to two months hard labour,

Jeremiah Archer, 19, for having, at Buscot, on the 18th of June, stolen a waistcoat, the property of Wm.Cooper, was sentenced to two months hard labour.

Wm.Thomes , 61, who had been out on bail, was convicted of having, on the 12th of August, at Upton, stolen a quantity of wheat, the property of Wm.Butler, and sentenced to one months hard labour.

John Price, 37, and Thos.Bush, 30, were tried for having, at East Challow, stolen a quantity of wearing apparel , the property of Henry Newton. Price was convicted and sentenced to three months hard labour. Bush, who had been out on bail, was acquitted.

Thomas Lloyd, 63, who had been out on bail, was tried for having on the 21st of August, at Bucklebury, stolen four faggots, the property of William Selwood. He was found guilty and sentenced to one months hard labour.

James Brooker, 40, for having, at East-Hendred, on the 9th of Sept., stolen a quantity of wheat and a sack, the property of William Cozens, was sentenced to one months hard labour.

Wm.Hilliard, alias James Wm Hillier, 19, for having, on the 18th of Sept., stolen some property from the dwelling house of John Preater, at Clewer, was sentenced to three months hard labour.

John Berry, 56, for having, on the 22nd of Sept., at Hurst, stolen a coat, the property of Edward Douglas, was sentenced to three months hard labour.

John Owen, 22, for having, at Sutton Wick, on the 25th of Sept., stolen two augers, the property of Richard Stevens, was sentenced to three months hard labour.

Joseph Skinner, alias Richings, 17, for having at Ashbury, on the 26th of Sept., stolen a shilling and a box, the property of Agnes Herring, was sentenced to six months hard labour, and to be once whipped.

Jane Webb, 29, for having at Speen, on the 29th of Sept., stolen two umbrellas, the property of Susan Keep, was sentenced to one months hard labour.

Benj.Clements, 38, for having, on the 22nd of Sept., at Clewer, stolen three brass boxes of a pump, the property of Matthew Freebody, was sentenced to 18 months hard labour.

Josiah Martin, 43, for having at Shalbourne, on the 3rd of October, stolen two hurdles, the property of George Phillips, was sentenced to 12 months hard labour.

James Flood, 47, for having at Chipping Lambourne, on the 18th of July, assaulted Benjamin Jones, a constable, while in the execution of his duty, was sentenced to one months hard labour.

Jonathan Tibble, 65, for having at Wantage, on the 18th of July, threatened to shoot Francis Bartholomew, was ordered to enter into recognizances to keep the peace for six months.

James Green, 45, for having on the 29th of August, left his wife and family chargeable to the parish of Warfield, was sentenced to one years hard labour.

Charles Hibberd, 30, and George Briers, 32, were tried for having on the 10th of August, at Faringdon, unlawfully obtained certain monies, to wit fifty pounds, the property of the company of proprietors of the County of Gloucester Bank, with intent to cheat and defraud the said company. They were each sentenced to six months imprisonment, and ordered to pay a fine of 20 to the Queen.

The following were tried and acquitted:-

John Preslon, 25, committed for having on the 17th of July, at Kingston Bagpuize, stolen two sixpences and a shilling, the property of Richard Edginton.

Griffin Deckingham [Beckingham ?], 30, committed for having on the 15th of August, at Sullhampstead Abbotts, stolen a carpenter's tool called a common diaster, the property of Samuel Crabb.

Wm.Eales, 40, committed for having, on the 30th of July, at Binfield, stolen a smock-frock, the property of James Loader.

Elizabeth Smith, 44, committed for having, at Draycot Manor, on the 23rd of Sept., stolen a deal table, the property of James Chesterman.

Wm.Stimpson, 17, (who had been out on bail) for having, on the 11th of August, at Compton, stolen a watch, the property of Jas.Stroud.

Jas.Gafney, 23, Margaret Gafney, 28, and Ellen Harknett, 21, who had been committed for having on the 27th of Sept., stolen from the person of Ellen Rird, a cap and other articles of her property.

Jas.Beasley , 43, committed for having on the 26th of September, at Blewbury, stolen a bushel of wheat, the property of Elisha Huggins.

Henry Greenaway, 25, committed for having, on the 21st of April, at Compton, stolen four shirts, the property of James Marshall.

The Grand Jury ignored the bills as respected the following prisoners:-

Wm.Lovegrove, charged with having, at Grove, on the 12th of July, stolen two sovereigns, sixteen half crowns, and one hundred shillings and sixpences, the property of Richard Snuggs.

Wm.Robbins, 31, committed for having , on the 13th of July, at Kintbury, stolen, from the person of Robert Newton, a five-pound bank note, nine sovereigns, and two shillings and sixpence.

Wm.Hutton, 46, committed for having, on the 30th of July, at Barkham, stolen two bavins[?] , the property of Wm.Cordery.

Benjamin Coleman, 20, committed for having, on the 29th of Sept., at Hurley, stolen three horn combs , the property of James Barney.

Joseph Ilsley, committed (but out on bail) for having on the 13th of July, at Reading, feloniously received of certain evil disposed persons twenty one tame pheasants, the property of T.C.Garth, Esq., knowing them to have been stolen.

In the two following cases there was no prosecution :- Wm.Green, 21, committed for want of sureties for his appearance at these sessions, and to keep the peace in the meantime towards Henry Hawthern Wingfield; and Richard Partridge, 37, charged with having, at Fawley, on the 15th of August, threatened to kill and murder his wife, Maria Partridge.
Independent of the above cases, the calendar contained a list of seven prisoners for trial at the Lent Assizes.

Bucks Michaelmas Sessions

These sessions commenced on Tuesday last before Sir Thomas D.Aubrey, Chairman, and a bench of magistrates.
The calendar contained a numerous list of prisoners, but the offences were generally of a trifling character. The following were the results:-

Joseph Parry, 25, was tried for having deserted his wife and child, and left them chargeable to the parish of Bletchley, but he was acquitted, the court holding his commitment to be erroneous.

Joseph Pipkin, 30, was charged with having at Drayton Parslow, stolen some pieces of coal, the property of Kitty Milburn - Acquitted.

William Taylor, 23, indicted for having, on the 30th of July, at Little Marlow, stolen a shirt, the property of John Johnson, was acquitted.

Joseph Hobbs, 26, Stephen Hooker, 21, and William Vatler, 15, were convicted of having, on the 30th of July, at Wooburn, stolen a live duck, the property of Chas.Venables. The prisoners were each sentenced to three months hard labour, and to be once privately whipped.

Chas.King, 52, was charged with deserting his wife and three children and leaving them chargeable to the parish of Chesham, but was acquitted from an informality in the committal, as in the first case.

Henry Ridgley was charged with having on the 19th of July, stolen a shirt, the property of Daniel Tibbatts, but acquitted.

Wm.Ridding, 16, was found guilty of having, on the 24th of Sept., at Chesham, stolen two pairs of shoes, a length of bennetts, and a handkerchief, the property of Lydia Mead. Two months imprisonment. The last week solitary.

John Soley, 18, was indicted for having at Eton, on the 13th of Sept., stolen a jacket and waistcoat, the property of Francis Stafford Pipe Wolferstan. In this case it appeared that several of the Eton scholars (the prosecutor among them) went to play at hockey, previously taking off their jackets and waistcoats and placing them in a corner of the field. When they had ceased playing the prosecutor missed his jacket and waistcoat, which it was proved the prisoner had afterwards offered for sale. He was found guilty, and sentenced to three weeks imprisonment, and to be once privately whipped.

Wm.Townsend, 21, for having at Upton, stolen a pair of worsted stockings, the property of John Mines, was sentenced to one months imprisonment.

Wm.Parkins, 35, was indicted for having at Ellesborough, on the 8th of August, stolen four elm boards, the property of Sir Robt.Frankland Russell - Three months imprisonment.

Johanna Webb, 57, for having, on the 2nd of August, at Soulbury, stolen a quantity of ling, the property of Thos and John Adams, was sentenced to one weeks imprisonment.

Hannah Toombs, 16, was indicted for having, on the 23rd Sept., at Dorney, stolen two pocket handkerchiefs, three pairs of stockings, and other articles, the property of Thos.White, her master. She pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to one months hard labour.

Wm.Stratford, 23, for having on the 25th of May, at Marsworth, stolen seven rabbits, the property of Charles Horner, he was sentenced to six months imprisonment.

Joseph Greenwood, 21, and Geo.Jones, 13, were indicted for having , on the 29th of Sept., at Great Marlow, stolen a quantity of walnuts and onions, the property of Thos.Walker. It appeared that Mr.Walker, who was a fruit dealer, had a large quantity of walnuts and onions locked up in his wood house on the night of the 28th of Sept., and that on the following morning he missed about three bushels of walnuts and a peck of onions. The prisoners were suspected, having been seen near Mr.Walker's premises about half past two o'clock in the morning. The prosecutor and a constable accordingly went to where they slept, which was in the stable loft of their master, Mr.Cresswell, and there the prisoners were found shelling a quantity of walnuts of a similar sort to those that had been stolen; some onions were also found there. The jury, however, returned a verdict of not guilty.

Jas.King, 29, was indicted for having, on the 4th of March, 1842, stolen four horses nose-bags, the property of Wm.Trumper , of Dorney. The full particulars of this case, as they were deposed to by the witnesses when examined before the bench of magistrates at Eton, were given in the Express of last week. He was found guilty, and having been previously convicted of felony, he was sentenced to be transported for seven years.

Thos.Ghusl [Ghost ?], 22, was indicted for having on the 15th Sept., at Penn, stolen three bee hives with homey in them, the property of John Gibbs. It appeared that on that day three out of the five hives, belonging to Mr.Gibbs, were stolen, but by whom was not then known. A hive had also been stolen from Chalfont, belonging to a person there. On the 17th (the day after the whole were stolen), the prisoner went to the shop of Mr.Pullen, a chemist at Uxbridge, where he sold the four hives for 1 13s 4d. When the robbery was known, and that the stolen hives had been sold to Mr.Pullen, that gentleman immediately gave them up to Inspector Otway, who gave them to Hearn, the constable of Chalfont, who obtained a warrant and apprehended the prisoner. He was found guilty and sentenced to one years imprisonment, four weeks of which to be in solitary confinement. The prisoner had been no less than nine times summarily convicted, and twice in custody on other charges.

Charles King, 42, was indicted for having, on the 24th of Sept., at Little Marlow, stolen two bushels of wheat, the property of Wm.Morris - Three months hard labour.

John Shaw, 30, was charged with having broken into the dwelling house of William Mansfield, at Chetwode, and stealing a gown, a petticoat, and a cap, he was found guilty, and sentenced to 9 months imprisonment, 4 weeks of which solitary.

James Clisby was tried with having, on the 1st of August, at Chalfont St.Giles, stolen a handkerchief, the property of Thos.Shillum. - He was acquitted.

Thos.Scott, 35, was indicted for stealing a handkerchief, the property of Mr.Stephen Pullen, the younger - One weeks imprisonment.

Wm.Unwin, was indicted for having, on the 26th of Sept., at Chalfont St Peter , stolen 143 [?] larch poles, the property of George Hold, of Fairfield, Essex - Acquitted.

Richard Atkins, 30, Thomas Perry, 22, and William Perry, 25, were indicted for having, on the 2nd of August, at Chepping Wycombe, stolen one ewe sheep, the property of Wm.Edmonds - Verdict, guilty. Atkins having twice before convicted of felony, was now sentenced to fifteen years transportation; William Perry, having been once convicted before, to fifteen years transportation; and Thomas Perry, who had been in custody eight times before, to ten years transportation.

Edmund Slenens, for having deserted his wife and family and leaving them chargeable to the parish of Steeple Claydon, was sentenced to four months hard labour.

Wm.Moss, 28, was indicted for having on the 3rd of March, at Hitcham, stolen a copper, the property of John Buckland. It appeared that on the day in question, some persons obtained an entrance to Mr.Buckland's wash house by the roof, and stole the copper. On the 22nd of the same month the prisoner left the copper with John Higgin's, a general dealer, on Uxbridge Moor, to whom he offered it for sale, and who refused to buy it; he subsequently took it away, and on the 21st of May he was met coming in the direction of Higgins's by Roadnight , a constable, of Uxbridge, with a sack on his back, containing the copper, Roadnight accompanied by Larkin, chief constable of Iver, took the copper to Mr.Bucklands house, and it was proved to be the same. The prisoner was found guilty and sentenced to seven years transportation, having before been convicted of felony.

John Small, 22, for having on the 5th of August, at Princes Risborough, stolen from the person of John Brown, a pocket-knife and other articles - Four months hard labour.

Joseph Slade, was sentenced to 12 months hard labour, three weeks of which to be solitary, for having at Bierton, on the 13th inst., wilfully and maliciously maimed and killed a cow, the property of Jos.Monk.

Eliza Manders, 21, for having, at Water Stratford, stolen two silver tea-spoons, the property of Wm.Barratt, was sentenced to 14 days hard labour, being recommended to mercy.

John Hare, 20, was sentenced to three months hard labour for having on the 5th of July, at Wingrave, stolen a silver watch, the property of Joseph Norwood.

John French, 31, was sentenced to one months hard labour for having at Maidsmorton, stolen forty-nine horse shoes, and two shovel pans, the property of Shem Baxter Markham.

Robt.Fairburn, 19, and Wm.Holworth, 27, for having, on the 12th of Sept., at Wingate, stolen a bag and a quantity of bread and meat, the property of Joseph Saunders, were sentenced each to six weeks hard labour.

Henry Cutler, 27, and Wm.Dimmock, 20, for having, on the 22nd of August, at Wing, stolen nine fowls, the property of Robt.Walter, were sentenced to three months hard labour.

Wm.Fish, 27, for having, on the 3rd of August, at Eton, stolen 500 leaves of gold leaf and a pair of sculls, the property of Roger Tolladay, was sentenced to two months hard labour.

Chas.Tanner, 32, for having, on the 15th Sept, at Chepping Wycombe, stolen a grey gelding pony, the property of Thos.Jennings was sentenced to ten years transportation.

John Cox, 60, was tried for having, on the 16th of July, at Chepping Wycombe, stolen some beech wood, the property of her Majesty's Commissioners of Woods and Forests - Acquitted.

Wm.Large, 25, was sentenced to four months hard labour, for having, on the 17th of July, at Eton, stolen a screw wrench, the property of John Kirby.

T.Scott, who had been before convicted of stealing a handkerchief, was tried on another indictment, for having on the 9th Oct., at Horton, stolen two half crowns and a sixpence, the property of Thos.Garrett. He was found guilty, and sentenced to seven years transportation.

James Ackerman, 49 [?], was tried for having on the 7th of May, at Stoke Poges, stolen 20 hens and a cock, the property of Geo.Burgiss - not guilty.

William Hootton, 17, was sentenced to three months imprisonment (one week in solitary confinement) for having on the 4th of August, at Olney, stolen two pieces of fat, the property of John Davison.

Edward Watts, 40, was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment for having on the 5th of October, at Newport Pagnel, stolen a dung fork, the property of John Cooper.

Moses Norcott, 26, was sentenced to two months hard labour for having on the 1st of October, at Upton-cum-Chalvey, stolen a handkerchief and a pair of trowsers from the person of William Rimell.

John Kilpin, 22, for having on the 24th of July, at Stoke Golding, stolen three sovereigns and a half, the property of Eliza Hurst, was sentenced to six months imprisonment, two weeks of which to be solitary.

Francis Beckett, 29, for having on the 29th of August, at Wendover, stolen a quantity of wheat, the property of William Prickett, was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment.

John Hatch, was sentenced to 12 months hard labour for having stolen 2lbs of soap, the property of Mr.Wilson, of Amersham.

Thomas Selby Bettle, 43, who had been committed to the sessions for want of sureties, was discharged, no prosecutor appearing.

John Hudson, 25, for having, at Wycombe, embezzled money belonging to his master, Henry White, was sentenced to three months hard labour.

Jeffrey Minney, 22, was sentenced to one weeks hard labour for defrauding John Smith on the 3rd June, at Olney, of two gallons of ale.

John Brittain, for having on the 8th Sept., at Lavendon, committed an indecent assault on Elizabeth Burbridge, was sentenced to four months hard labour.

Wm.Henry Smith, 15, committed to the sessions to answer certain charges preferred against him by his father, was discharged, the latter not appearing.

The Grand Jury ignored bills preferred against John Trury, for being concerned with W.Moss in the robbery of a copper, at Hitcham; against John Mason, charged with stealing a pair of breeches, at Drayton Parslow; against Elisha Thorn, for stealing hay, at Aston Clinton; against James Clisby, for stealing a handkerchief, at Chalfont St.Giles; and against James Corderoy, for stealing a gun, the property of James Puddifoot.
A true bill was found against the inhabitants of the county of Buckingham, for not repairing the bridge over the stream parting the parishes of Addington and Austock.

At the termination of the trials, the business relative to the county was gone into, and it was announced the committee had accepted the tender of Mr.Oxley, of Windsor, for the printing of the county register.