Newspaper Transcripts

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

25th June 1842

Her Majesty's Accession

Monday last being the anniversary of her Majesty's accession to the throne, it was observed in Windsor by the ringing of the church bells.

Windsor Literary Institution

A report of the proceedings at this institution on Monday evening last, on the occasion of presenting an address and a testimonial to Mr.Sharpe, the late president, will be found on our third page.

The churchwardens of Windsor have received a letter from the War-office, stating that troop serjeant-major, John Bambrick, a native of this town, who was discharged from the 11th Hussars, on the 12th of September 1838, after long and faithful services, has been awarded the gratuity which is granted by her Majesty to discharged soldiers who have conducted themselves meritoriously while in the army; and the authorities of the War-office notify that fact to the churchwardens with the object of making it generally known in the parish to which he belongs.

Windsor and Eton Teetotal Society

This society held a festival at the Town-hall on Monday evening which was well attended, chiefly by the working classes. After enjoying themselves with tea and its accompaniments of bread and butter, &c., J.S.Banstead Esq., took the chair, and made an able address on the advantages of teetotalism. He was followed by several other speakers, and the evening passed off very agreeably to all present.

A requisition having been presented to H.M.Bunbury, Esq., high sheriff of the county of Berks, to call a public meeting of the county for the purpose of adopting addresses of congratulations on the escape of her Majesty from the recent attack on her life, the high sheriff has appointed the meeting for that purpose to take place at Abingdon on Monday next.


On Friday the 17th inst., the lower sixes (Eton collegians), pulled their annual match; the boats engaged were the Dreadnought, manned by Foster, Willson, ma., Turton, Smythe, Burton, Miles, ma., Finch, steerer; and the Etonian, manned by Ffolliot, Babington, Le Strange, Sutton, Luttrell, Moseley, Lord Cecil, steerer. The "tug of war" was a severe one; at the Clump they were abreast, continuing so across Bargeman's bay to Ward's eyot, where the Dreadnought drew in advance, the Etonian instantly tried her rudder, and at the shed, getting a good hitch, twisted her round and went by her. By this move, at Clewer point, the Etonian had an excellent lead, which she kept the remaining distance, winning cleverly.
Our aquatic friends will be pleased to hear that an 8-oared match has been made between the Eton and Westminster scholars; it will take place in August, and be pulled from Kew to Putney.

[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), R.Blunt, Esq., W.Legh, Esq., and Sir John Chapman]

Richard Greenwood was charged with being drunk and disorderly at the Duke's Head, Peascod-street, at ten o'clock the preceding night.

To a question by the Bench the policeman said the prisoner did not make much resistance.

The prisoner said that he had come from London, and he going to seek work at Frogmore.

Mr.Gillman told the magistrates that the prisoner pretended that he was the brother of the unfortunate girl, Eliza Grimwood, whose murder in Waterloo-road created so much public interest.

The prisoner assured the bench that that was the fact. His sisters name was Greenwood, but had gone by that of Grimwood.

After a reprimand the prisoner was discharged.

Edward Purcell, a native of the Emerald Isle, whose face was covered with blood, bearing a similar appearance to that of one of the cudgelling heroes of Donnybrook fair, was charged with being found lying his full length on the pavement the previous night dead drunk. As he was, of course, incapable of taking care of himself, Brown, the policeman, took on himself that kind office for him by locking him up.

The prisoner, in his defence, with a rich Milesian brogue, that he had come from Salisbury, where he had been for some time under the doctor's hands in the infirmary. He had been seeking for work in Windsor.

Sir John Chapman - Where did he get such a face ?

Brown said it was caused by his tumbling about in the street.

After the usual reprimand, the bench discharged him.

Prisoner - The lord prolong your honours life !

The Emeralder soon returned and said he hoped their worships would not charge him anything, as he had so long been ill and out of work.

Sir John Chapman - Charge you ! What do you mean.

Mr.Gillman - Why, Sir John, he has made a great filth in the station-house, and I have, as is usual, deducted sixpence from the money found on him to pay a person to clean it up.

(To the prisoner) - Will you go yourself and clean the place ?

The prisoner said he would, and off he went to earn his sixpence back.

John Elliott, a sweep, was charged with embezzling a shilling, belonging to his master, John Hastings.

It appeared the prisoner had received a shilling on his masters account from the Rev.Mr.Dyson, of Wexham; that he spent it, got drunk, and when he returned home he grossly abused his master. Hastings said he did not mind the shilling, but it was the abuse he thought most of.

Mr.Legh - Well, then, what charge do you mean to prefer against him ?

Hastings - Why, sir, I wish you give him a month [a laugh].

The magistrates said they could not take cognizance of mere abuse.

It further appeared that Hastings owed the prisoner a fortnight's wages, and that the prisoner had frequently spent his masters money, but on a settlement of wages they had always set the accounts right between them. In fact, Hastings only wanted to punish his man for the abuse.

The case was dismissed, the prisoner being reprimanded for using such language to his master, was advised to deduct the shilling from the wages.

Stephen Carter and his brother John Carter were charged, the one for an assault, and the other for attempting to rescue him from custody.

Hannah, the wife of Richard White, of Clewer-lane, deposed that on Saturday night she was standing by her own house talking to two other females, when the prisoner Stephen Carter came up and used some very obscene expressions to her, and calling her bad names.

Sir John Chapman - Why you can surely say yourself whether or no you are what he called you.

Mrs.White vehemently declared that she was not so, for she had been a married woman for 17 years. She then proceeded. Stephen next stripped to fight a man named Knapp, when Sexton the policeman came up, and she desired him to take Stephen into custody. Sexton tried to move Stephen and his brother John who was with him towards their own homes, but they refused to go, and he took them into custody. There was a disturbance, and John certainly tried to get his brother away.

Sir John Chapman - We have no cognizance over the words he used towards you, but if you feel yourself aggrieved in your character you can if you please apply to an attorney. Let us hear something about the assault.

Sexton said he was on duty in Clewer-lane, when a person came and told him there was a great disturbance, and he instantly went to the spot, where he found Stephen Carter stripped. He requested him to move on but he refused, Stephen was drunk. Witness then took hold of his collar to get him away, when his brother John sprang up and laid hold of him to rescue him. Witness then called on Stocker, a special constable, who was near to take the brother into custody. Stephen then collared witness saying "I have as much right to collar you as you have me." John was not drunk. When witness had got Stephen to the station-house door he struck witness in the neck. Witness closed on him, and he again struck him a blow, Stocker then came up, and they together got Stephen in and locked him up. The person Stephen wished to fight with in Clewer-lane was named Knapp, who gave the information to witness. Knapp refused to fight with him.

Sexton was cross examined by Mr.Voules, who attended for the prisoners, but nothing material to his clients was elicited.

Mr.Voules addressed the bench on behalf of the prisoners, admitting that Stephen was drunk, and he had applied words to Mrs.White which were to be regretted, but he submitted that a fine for being drunk would be ample punishment.

Mr.Gillman said the policeman did not wish to press the charge of assault.

The magistrates were of the opinion that an example should be made of the prisoners, and they therefore inflicted a fine of 10s each, and costs 5s 6d, making 1 5s 6d.
Stephen pulled a bag of money from his pocket and paid the amount, protesting that although he had offended, his brother had not.

Dennis Heveron, a tall strapping private of the 15th Foot, was charged with committing a most violent and unprovoked assault on a labouring man of short stature, named Fred.Nixey.

Nixey, who bore marks of ill usage on his nose, stated that the previous evening he had been at the "Tea Gardens," in Russell-street (Reeve's beershop), and on leaving there was coming down Barrack lane, when the prisoner whom he had never before seen, came out of the Britannia (Hazlehurst's beershop), and without saying a word, knocked him down. Sexton, the policeman, was close by. He was quite positive the prisoner was the man, only he could not exactly tell how he (prisoner) was dressed, but he had no jacket on.

Sexton, the policeman, said there was a row at Reeve's beer-shop, between two soldiers and a young man named Russell. One of the soldiers had knocked Russell down, and cut his head open in two places. Witness was going with the two soldiers to the Foot barracks to find out their names, and the complainant Nixey was accompanying them. When they got near Hazlehurst's, the prisoner came out of that house, and asked what was the matter ? One of the soldiers replied "that fellow (pointing at Nixey) is going to charge me with assault," on which the prisoner instantly knocked Nixey down. Witness was certain the prisoner was the man, and that he then had no jacket on. After knocking Nixey down, prisoner pushed his comrades on, and told them to go to the barracks. While witness sent for a picket, the prisoner secreted himself in the house, for witness went in, and searched both up stairs and down stairs, but could not find him; on the second search however he found him, in one of the rooms he had searched before, and he had then his jacket on. Mr.Geo.Chapman and the Rev.Mr.Bowyer were coming by at the time of the assault, and they desired witness to take the prisoner into custody.

Sir J.Chapman - Yes, I know my son and Mr.Bowyer were coming at the time, and they said there was a great disturbance.

The prisoner in his defence denied that he was the person who struck the complainant, and he said he could bring forward two witnesses to prove that he had been drinking in one of the rooms of the Britannia from half-past six o'clock until nine, during which time he never left the room. [The assault was committed about eight o'clock].

The magistrates adjourned the case to give the accused an opportunity of producing his witnesses.

George Parker, a tailor in Keppel-street, residing next door to the Britannia attended to complain of the scandalous doings at that beer-shop. He had spoken on the subject to Mr.Banister, who advised him to come to the bench of magistrates, and he wanted to know if Hazlehurst was licensed to keep a common brothel as well as a beer-shop. There were no less than ten girls living in the house, and after the door was shut at night the noise was so great that he could get no rest.

The magistrates clerk said the Act of Parliament required the complaint to be made by two inhabitants; if Mr.Parker could get another inhabitant to join him the magistrates would take care that Hazlehurst should be indicted.

The applicant said he did not wish to become an informer. Another thing he wished to know was, whether Hazlehurst was allowed to sell beer on Sunday morning, which he was in the habit of doing, as the Rev.Mr.Bowyer had seen.

Sir John Chapman said certainly not, and if Mr.Parker chose to lay an information , the magistrates could issue a summons. Could he get any other inhabitant to join him in the first complaint ?

Mr.Parker said he was not aware that he could.

Sir John Chapman - Mind it will be no expense to either of the persons who may make the complaint; and if you chose to get another person to make the charge of keeping a brothel, or you chose yourself to lay an information against Hazlehurst for selling beer on the Sunday mornings, we will be happy to render you every assistance in our power.

The two men, Terrett and Richards, charged with robbery at Mr.Millard's were finally brought up, when the depositions against them were read over and signed.

Mr.Voules for the prisoners made another attempt to obtain their liberation, alleging that there was no sufficient case made out against them, and that it was unjust to put them to the expense of defending themselves and the borough to the expense of prosecuting , when, as he considered, it was not likely a conviction would take place.

Mr.Darvill, for the prosecution, said he should leave the case in the hands of the magistrates, who had on Thursday decided on committing the prisoners.

The magistrates said they had already determined on committing them for trial, but they would admit the prisoners to bail, each in 80, and two sureties in 40.

The prisoners were then removed to custody, no bail being forthcoming.

Four [email me for details of this case] named Morris, Gadd, Johnson, and Smith were brought up as disorderly persons. The three first were remanded from last week, and the fourth, who had escaped, had since been apprehended.

Sir John Chapman said the magistrates were disposed this time to discharge them, but they wished it now to be known that a determination had been come to that after Saturday night the police were authorised to take every prostitute they may find in the streets into custody, and then the magistrates would select such a number of them as appeared most deserve it, for punishment. And that punishment should be really severe, for with every one sent to the House of Correction at Reading, the magistrates would send a letter to the governor to put them to very hard labour. They thought it right to give this warning to the prisoners, who might inform their companions of this determination. The state of this town was really shocking; he had lived in Windsor for forty years, and he had never known it so bad as it was now in consequence of the numbers and gross indecencies of these prostitutes.

Four [email me for details of this case] named Swaine, Perry, Davis, and Baker were next brought up, and were discharged with the same warning, excepting Davis, who having been before convicted and once sent home to Cardigan at great expense to the borough , was remanded to Thursday.


[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), and Sir John Chapman]

Sarah Mills and Jane Pearson, [email me for details of this case], were charged with sleeping in the open air.
They were discharged with a warning not to be seen in the town at any time after Saturday night.

Anne Davis, who was remanded on Monday, was again brought up.
The magistrates said this prisoners case was a most disgraceful one. She was sentenced on the 14th of April to two months hard labour, and she had only been two days out of prison when she was found pursuing her old practices. She had also put the parish to a very heavy expense, not less than 10, in sending her home to Cardigan. They should therefore commit her to hard labour in the House of Correction at Reading for two months, and with her a letter would be sent to the governor recommending very severe labour.

Dennis Heveron, the private of the 15th Foot, who was on Monday charged with violently assaulting Frederick Nixey, and said he could bring forward witnesses to prove that he was not the person who committed the assault, again appeared before the magistrates.

He produced two witnesses named Thomas Inker and Francis Cinnamon, both privates in the same regiment, who positively swore that they were drinking in the same room at Hazlehurst's as himself on the night in question, and that he never left the room for one moment from half-past six o'clock until about nine, consequently he could not have been outside the house within those period to commit the assault complained of.

The magistrates having ordered the accused and all the witnesses out of court, questioned the defendants serjeant who attended to watch the proceedings.

In reply to the magistrates the serjeant said of the two witnesses Inker and Cinnamon, the latter especially, was worthy of credit. As to the prisoner's character he was a most excellent soldier; and he added he had good reason to believe that it was not the prisoner who committed the assault, but another man in the regiment in his (the sergeant's) company.

The parties were then all called in, and the magistrates discharged the accused, intimating it as their opinion that there was a mistake as to the identity of the person who committed the assault.

Jane Maynard, [please email me for details of this case]. She was discharged with the same caution given to the other persons of her class.

Mary Anne Sorrell, whose name was apropos to the sourness of her disposition , was charged with using threatening language towards a respectable-looking young woman named Mary, the wife of Samuel Saunders, a bricklayer and beer-shop keeper, in Bier lane.
The appearance of the complainant and the defendant afforded a striking contrast to each other; the former a good-looking and exceedingly mild person, the latter an ugly, fiery, and imprudent one. When the case was called on.

Mr.Voules, who attended for the complainant, addressed the bench. He said that Mr.Saunders, the husband of the complainant had formerly cohabited with the defendant, who had had a child by him. Saunders, when about to be married to the complainant, made an agreement with the defendant (which he produced, and was signed by both parties at his, Mr.Voules's office), to allow her 2s a week for the maintenance of the child, payable quarterly, the condition on her part being that she should never annoy him or his wife. But it appeared that she was in the habit of going to Saunder's house and demanding the money before it was due, and on being refused it of making a disturbance and threatening Mrs.Saunders with bodily injury.

Mrs.Saunders was then sworn. She stated that the defendant came to her house and demanded the quarter's money , which was not due until the 24th inst. She used the most gross and vulgar language, and the most violent threats against the complainant, in consequence of which she was in fear of some personal injury to her.

The defendant in her defence said she went to her child's father's house for her money, because she thought it was due, when he slammed the door in her face.

Mr.Voules - You know when you signed this agreement I cautioned you not to do anything wrong; and you know when Saunders left you he gave up all the furniture.

The defendant, who had conducted herself in the most imprudent manner, was informed by the bench she must find bail, and there was 11s expenses for her to pay besides.

Defendant - Then let my child's father pay it.

Mr.Voules said all Mrs.Saunders wanted was to be protected, and he was content if the defendant entered into her own recognizances to keep the peace.

The Mayor told the defendant she seemed to treat the matter with great indifference. Mrs.Saunders had very kindly consented that she should only be bound in her own recognizance.

Sir John Chapman said from her manner he did not think her own recognizance was sufficient to protect the complainant.

The mayor - Well, I think so too. She must find bail, herself in 20, and two sureties in 5 each (or one on 10) to keep the peace for six months.

Defendant (laughing) - Well, I dare say I can find bail.

Bail however was not ready, and she was removed into custody.

Three boys were brought up by a corporal to be attested as recruits in the 15th Regiment of Foot. They were of the respective ages of 14 years and nine months, 15 years, and 14 years. The attestation stated by "special authority," and the specified bounty was two guineas. The reading of the articles of war to such children seemed amusing enough. Two of the boys could write very well for their age, but the third could not sign his name. The corporal, in answer to questions by the bench, said two of the boys were born in the regiment, and had been taught in the regimental school. The third was not born in the regiment, and was not bound to go to the school, but he would be obliged to do so now that he was attested. It was understood they would immediately be made drummers, and placed on man's pay in the regiment.

Mr.Wm.Willer, landlord of the public house at the foot of Datchet-bridge, applied to the magistrates for the committal of a private of the 15th Foot, named George Thomas.
It may be remembered that on the 2nd inst., Thomas was charged with assaulting Mr.Willer, and breaking several squares of glass in his windows, for which the magistrates ordered him to pay 14s 6d and 5s 6d costs, but allowed him a fortnight to pay it. A week over that period had passed, and none of the money was paid. This morning Mr.Willer had been to the barracks, and had applied to Thomas, who, however, said he could not pay it.
The magistrates ordered a warrant to be made out to apprehend Thomas, and commit him to prison for 14 days.

Martha, the wife of Joseph Groom, was charged with threatening to do some bodily injury to Honner Adams, a widow, residing in Keppel-terrace.
The threats were proved, and Mrs.Adams swore she also feared violence from the defendant, unless she was protected. The magistrates ordered the defendant's husband to be bound for her keeping the peace in the sum of 10, and that she find two other sureties in 5 each. The defendant was removed in custody.

Eton Police - Wednesday
[Before the Rev.Thomas Carter, and the Rev.W.G.Cookesley.]

Joseph Wood, Thomas Jones alias Sailor Tom, and Henry Manners, three "thimble rig" gentry, were charged by Mr.Larkin, the Iver constable, with passing bad money.
The prisoners had been seen in company on Saturday night endeavouring to pass bad half-crowns at Colnbrook, and on Sunday morning information was delivered to Mr.Larkin, who speedily succeeded, by the aid of two other persons, in apprehending them at Iver, and took them into the Swan public-house to search them, where Wood was seen to throw a paper into a hat which was in the room, and on opening it Larkin found 10 bad half crowns. Wood was previously seen to throw a bad half-crown over a wall near where he was standing, and it was also found, and from the marks on it was identified by Mrs.Bullen, of Colnbrook, as one that had been offered her on Saturday night by Wood.
Wood was committed for trial , and the other prisoners were discharged.

Thomas Frost, of Upton, beer-shop keeper, was fined 20s and 19s costs, for selling beers before one o'clock on Sunday.

Five men named Whitehall, Talbot, Clarke, Dobson, and Eden, were fined 5s and 8s damages, besides costs, for wilfully destroying some grass, the property of Mrs.Gibbons, of Eton.

Uxbridge, Saturday June 25th

On Tuesday last came off at the George Inn, in this town the Sortilege dinner, which had been decided by the late Epsom Derby. The company consisting of about 30 gentlemen, under the auspices of Mr.G.Robinson, the talented vocalist, as the chairman, enjoyed a rich treat, as that gentleman ably conducted the business of the day, and being in excellent voice, he even exceeded his former endeavours to please. The dinner was good and plentiful, and the wines of superior quality, and being interlarded with the witticisms of the worthy host, Mr.Money, gave general satisfaction. The company departed highly gratified by the dinner and the evening's enjoyment.

Marlow, Saturday , June 25th

A man named Mitchell was convicted before the bench of magistrates at Great Marlow, on Saturday last, of an assault upon a girl named Cook, and fined 5s and costs.

Ann Hitchcock , for leaving her illegitimate child chargeable to the parish, was sent to Aylesbury Gaol for three weeks.

On Monday, Edward Stone was committed to Aylesbury Gaol for trial, charged with stealing a bottle of ink from the shop of Mr.Thomas Wright, at Great Marlow.