Standish, Maine US GenWeb logo

      "Town of Standish" from the

History of Cumberland County, Maine;

              pages 372-378.

   Transcribed by Marilyn Leeland.


     The town of Standish as incorporated Nov. 30, 1785, and
named in honor of Miles Standish.  It is indented in the north by
Sebago Lake; bounded on the east by Windham and Gorham; on the
south by Buxton, in York County; on the west by the Saco River;
and on the north by Baldwin and Sebago.  The land is low and
sandy in the northern part, rocky and more elevated towards the
south and east, with a mixture of clay towards the Saco River;
the north is timbered plains and, and uninhabited.  The Portland
and Ogdensburg Railroad runs through the town and the Cumberland
and Oxford Canal formerly connected with Sebago Lake at the
eastern point.  The Portland Water-Works Company take their water
for the city from the lake, at the South Bay.

     The first election was held at the meeting-house, March 27,
1786.  John Deane, Esq., was chosen moderator; besides the
principal officers, there were elected surveyors of  highways,
tithing-men, fence-viewers, field-drivers, pound-keeper, an 
informer of deer, a sealer of leather, cullers of hoops and
staves, sealer of weights and measures, wardens, a committee for
examining accounts, a minister to preach three months, and an
approximation of ?25 voted for his salary.

     Ebenezer Shaw, the original settler of Standish, came from
Hampton, N.H., in response to an offer, made him by Moses
Pearson, of 200 acres of land and a saw-mill, if he would build
the mill, and move to the place with his family Mr. Shaw came in
1763, and built the mill in nine days' time.  A fort, sixty feet
square, had previously been erected of heavy, hewn timbers by the
proprietors, in the present crossing of the roads, at Standish
Corner, and lots laid out.  Mr. Shaw was followed, the same year,
by Daniel Cram, Daniel Sanborn, John Sanborn, Jonathan Sanborn,
Michael Philbrick, Jonathan Philbrick, John Pierce, Moses Lowel,
Caleb Rowe, Worthy Moulton, Jonathan Bean, and Jabez Dow, from
New Hampshire, most of them having families.  Judith, daughter of
Jonathan Philbrick, born Aug. 27, 1763, as the first white child
born in Standish.  Samuel Warren settled at Bonny Eagle in 1768. 
The first baptism recorded was that of Mary Freeman, in 1769. 
Daniel Harmon, John Hall, James Moody, Moses Richardson, and
Dominicus Mitchell came previous to 1776.  Joseph Paine came from
Cape Cod, Mass., in 1780.  James Moody opened a blacksmith-shop
near Standish Corner, in 1775; Josiah Shaw kept a tavern.  In
1793, Aaron Parker purchased 200 acres of land on "the Neck,"
where his grandson Charles Parker now lives, for 150, and
occupied it with his family.

     In 1782, Thomas Shaw built a windmill to grind corn.  This
was the first corn-mill in the town, and, with good wind, would
grind fifty bushels of corn a day.  In 1788 it was turned into an
ashery, as the result of public enterprise at town-meeting.  At
this time there were forty voters in the town.  Ashes were
collected in a sail-boat, which traversed Sebago Lake, and
brought sixpence a bushel.
     Eliakim Wescott settled on the Neck, near Wescott Falls, in
     Sergeant Shaw and Annie Tompson, the first couple joined in
marriage, were united by John Deane, Esq., Sept. 14, 1786.  The
first few years the settlement was surrounded with hardships and
dangers.  When threatened by Indians, the little colony sought
refuge in the fort.  Becoming nearly starved on one occasion, two
of the bravest ventured forth into the deep woods and shot a
moose.  Cutting off a quarter, they hastened into the fort, and
returned with help for the remainder, only to find that the
Indians had taken their game.  John McGill, a hunter, lived in
the fort for some years, until it was torn down to make room for
the first church, which was erected in its place in 1769, and
which was in turn torn down, after repeated efforts to have it
removed.  One dark night in 1805, Edward Tompson, Esq.,
magistrate, who kept a tavern joining the corner, was aroused by
the crash of tearing shingles and clapboards.  Taking his
perforated tin lantern in one hand, and "the riot act" in the
other, he sallied forth and commenced to read; before he had
proceeded far, the destroyers threw shingles and put out his
light; by this time, Dr. Howe, who kept the tavern where I. D.
Sawyer's coat-factory stands, hand come to his assistance, but
in vain.  The morning sun rose only upon ruins, which were
afterwards built into a school-house, and the street was clear.


     The old home of Elliot Hammond, built by him in 1778, is the
oldest building in the town.  It stands overlooking the lake
across the lower bay, a short distance to the east of the ground
where, upon a grassy knoll, sleep the remains of Josiah Moses and
the Waterhouse and Harmon families.

     The large weather-beaten house standing with its eaves to
the road, and overlooking the lake from the bluff opposite Indian
Isle, was built by Wm. Cummings in 1785, John Cummings,
grandfather of Hiram T. Cummings, settling near by.  The great
willow in front has grown from a twig planted eight years after,
and before breaking down spread over a diameter of 100 feet. 
Much of the timbered lands surrounding it were the cultivated
fields of the pioneers.  John Smith bought the old Cummings house
of Dr. Howe, in 1825.  Indian Isle, a wooded knoll of 100 acres,
was a rendevous of Indians, and it is here, tradition says, white
prisoners were secreted in the early wars.  Stone implements are
still sometimes found upon the island.  A boat capsizing years
ago near this island, with five men, who were never found
afterwards, attaches a weird interest to the place.  It is said
this lake never gives up its dead.

     On the road leading from Standish Corner to the lake is the
home of the poet Shaw, built in 1774, where the first settlement
was made by Ebenezer Shaw.  The ballads of Thomas Shaw, the son,
were well-known along the coast of Maine for many years, and date
back to the Revolutionary war.  Conspicuous among his productions
was the "Shipwreck of the Schooner Charles," on Richmond's
Island, July 12, 1807.  The ballad was headed by sixteen black
coffins, to represent the number of victims, and surrounded with
a heavy border. Thomas Shaw, his son, occupies the old homestead,
which contains many relics of early days.

     The old church at Standish Corner is pointed out to the
stranger as a monument to the religious energy of sires and
grandsires, who rest in the cemetary across the street and in
various parts of the town.


     In 1772, Moses Pearson deeded to the town on-half acre of
land at Standish Corner for a burying-ground.  This is the oldest
cemetery in the town, and contains the remains of Rev. Jonathan
Gould, Isaac Snow Tompson, whose epitaph is "First Physician of
Standish;" John Deane, Esq., Deacon Jonathan Philbrick, and
others equally venerated.  There is a find large cemetery at
Steep Falls, inclosed with iron and granite and regularly laid
out.  The Bonny Eagle, containing the Warren, Davis, and Sturgis
pioneers, and Peltiah McDonald, "a soldier of the Revolution;"
the Harding Ground, on the Neck, where rest Rev. Elias F. Blake
and Rev. Joseph White, are the principal burying-grounds in
Standish, besides which there are thirty private and family
burying-places in various parts of the town.

                       VILLAGES AND HAMLETS

                         Standish Corner,

the point of original settlement, was for many years the business
centre of Standish and the country to the northwest, which
furnished a busy trade for two tanneries, six stores, and three
hotels.  The opening of the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad
transferred the business to Sebago Lake Station, which also
absorbed that of the old landing where the Portland water-works
connect with that lake.  The business of the place consists of
two coat manufactories, a general merchandise store, ladies'
goods, hotel, harness-shop, marble- and blacksmith-shops,
law-office, and two physicians.  There are three churches,
school-house, town farm and buildings, established 1867, and
sixty dwellings.  This is the oldest post-office in the town. 
Mails twice daily by stage, from Sebago Lake.

                           Sebago Lake,

on the lower bay of the lake, contains a depot, twenty-five
dwellings, three stores, hotel, grist-and wood-mill, two clothing
manufactories, carriage-shop, and the store-rooms of the Sebago
Lake Ice Company of Portland.  There was but one store on the
opening of the railroad.  A steamboat line was opened between
Sebago Lake Station, Naples, Bridgton, and Harrison in 1867. 
Post-office established Jan. 1, 1872; Nathaniel Lane was first
postmaster.  Bonny Eagle is a post-office hamlet, of which twelve
houses, the school-house, and the Methodist Episcopal church
extend along the road from Bonny Eagle in Saco River to York's
Corner, where there is a store and several shops.

                           Steep Falls

is the principal village of Standish; is a station on the
Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad, and contains five stores, a
post-office, hotel, church, saw-mill, and wood-working machinery,
and is a shipping-point for lumber.  There are thirty-eight
residences in Standish, and some on the opposite side of the Saco
River.  The first settlement here was made by Capt. Benjamin
Poland, who built a mill a mile below the falls in 1826.  James
Foss opened the first store in 1829.  Tobias Lord erected a
grist-mill in 1836.  William Pierce established the first hotel
here in 1826.  The place is finely located on high land and
surrounded by beautiful groves.


is a flag station near Rich's mill, in the north part of the

                           CIVIL LIST.


1786. Caleb Rowe, Daniel Hasty, John Deane.
1787. Josiah Shaw, Peter Moulton, Enoch Linnel.
1788. Isaac S. Tompson, Josiah Shaw, George Freeman.
1789. Peter Moulton, Josiah Shaw, Thomas Shaw.
1790. John Deane, Daniel Hasty, Job Eastman.
1791. Peter Moulton, Enoch Linnel, George Freeman.
1792. Peter Moulton, Theodore Mussey, George Freeman.
1793. Joseph C. Rackliff, Dominicus Mitchell, James D. Tucker.
1794. Peter Moulton, Daniel Lowell, Dominicus Mitchell.
1795. James D. Tucker, Dominicus Mitchell, Peter Moulton.
1796. James D. Tucker, Dominicus Mitchell, George Freeman.
1797. Dominicus Mitchell, Enoch Linnel, Peter Moulton.
1798. Dominicus Mitchell, James D. Tucker, Enoch Linnel.
1799 1800. James D. Tucker, Edmond Massey, Joseph Dow.
1801. Peter Moulton, John Deane, Josiah Shaw, Daniel Hasty, Levi
1802. Peter Moulton, Levi Cram, Joseph Dow.
1803. Levi Cram, William Tompson, Jonathan Philbrick.
1804. Peter Moulton, James D. Tucker, John Sanborn.
1805. Levi Cram, William Tompson, Wm. Higgins.
1806. William Tompson, John Lowell, William Higgins.
1807. William Tompson, William Higgins, James Hasty.
1808. Peter Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Sargent Shaw.
1809. Simeon Moulton, Peter Rowe, James D. Tucker.
1810. Simeon Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Jr., Samuel Dennet.
1811. Simeon Moulton, Moses Rih, John Sanborn.
1812. Simeon Moulton, Moses Rich, William Graffam.
1813. Simeon Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Jr., Wm. Hasty, Jr.
1814. Simeon Moulton, William Hasty, Jr., Jonathan Dow.
1815-16. Edmund Mussey, Daniel Hasty, Jr., John Spring.
1817-18. Simeon Moulton, Mark White, Timothy Higgins, Jr.
1819. Simeon Moulton, Daniel Hasty, Knowles Higgins.
1820. Simeon Moulton, Col. John Spring, Mark White.
1821  Mark White, William Tompson, William Hasty, Jr.
1822. William Tompson, Benjamin Haskell, Jr., James Hasty, Jr.
1823. William Tompson, Knowles Higgins, Jonathan Dow.
1824. Isaac S. Spring, Sargent Shaw, Jonathan Dow.
1825. William Tompson, Mark White, John Cummings, Jr.
1826-27. Wm. Tompson, John Cummings, Jr., Enoch F. Higgins.
1828. John Cummings, Jr., William Tompson, Enoch F. Higgins.
1829. William Hasty, Sargent Shaw, Jabez Dow.
1830-32. Benjamin Poland, Benjamin Chadbourne, Jabez Dow.
1833-35. Benjamin Chadbourne, Edmund Mayo, Lemuel Rich.
1836-37. Benjamin Chadbourne, Lemuel Rich, Jabez Dow.
1838. Benjamin Chadbourne, Daniel Davis, Tobias Lord;
1839. Tobias Lord, Daniel Davis, Peter Shaw.
1840. Lemuel Rich, Daniel Davis, Peter Shaw.
1841. Lemuel Rich, Samuel Phinney, Joseph Sanborn.
1842. Samuel Phinney, Joseph Sanborn, Lemuel Rich.
1843. Lemuel Rich, Samuel Phinney, John Knapp.
1844-45. Joseph Sanborn, Ebenezer Moulton, Eliakim Wescott.
1846-47. Joseph Sanborn, Wm. T. Chadbourne, Frederick Lowell.
1848. William T. Chadbourne, Frederick Lowell, Joshua Paine, Jr.
1849. Joseph Sanborn, Joseph S. Tompson, James Foss.
1851. Joseph Sanborn, Joseph S. Tompson, Josiah Moulton.
1852. Joseph S. Tompson, Lemuel Rich (3d), Wilson Dow.
1853. Joseph S. Tompson, Seth Higgins, Eliakim Wescott.
1854. Joseph S. Tompson, Jonathan Moore, Amos Boulter.
1855. Joseph S. Tompson, Henry M. Chadbourne, Joseph Sanborn.
1856. Henry M. Chadbourne, Seth Higgins, Peter Paine.
1857. Joseph Sanborn, Frederick Lowell, Eliakim Wescott.
1858. William Paine, Josiah L. Swett, Samuel L. Davis.
1859-60. Samuel O. Paine, Lemuel Rich (3d), Arza Mayo.
1861. John H. Philbrick, Lemuel Rich (3d), William Wingate.
1862. Lemuel Rich (3d), Elisha B. Mitchell, Harvey Wescott.
1863. Joseph Sanborn, Ebenezer Moulton, Asa Berry.
1864. Joseph S. Tompson, Samuel O. Paine, Amos Boulter.
1865. Ebenezer Moulton, Joseph Sanborn, Asa Berry.
1866. Ebenezer Moulton, William Freeman, Samuel O. Paine.
1867. Samuel O. Paine, James K. Emery, Merritt I. Paine.
1868. Merritt I. Paine, Wm. D. Freeman, Daniel S. Davis.
1869. Wilson Dow, William H. Dresser, Eliakim Wescott.
1870-71. William H. Dresser, Eliakim Wescott, Wilson Dow.
1872. Wilson Dow, Ambrose Cram, William Rich.
1873. Ambrose Cram, Elisha B. Mitchell, Augustus Y. Staples.
1874. Henry M. Chadbourne, Oris R. Phinney, A. S. Hutchinson
1875. John D. Higgins, Samuel Dingley, Augustus S. Hutchinson.
1876. Henry M. Chadbourne, Wm. H. Libby, Orville S. Sanborn.
1877. Henry M. Chadbourne Seth Higgins, Almon H. Cressey.
1878. Orville S. Sanborn, Tobias Lord, Jr., Ichabod Cousins.
1879. Almon H. Cressey, Winthrop B. Dresser, John H. Davis.

                           TOWN CLERKS.

     Theodore Mussey, 1786-89; Dominicus Mitchell, 1790; Theodore
Mussey, 1791-95; James D. Tucker, 1796; Theodore Mussey,
1797-1803; William Tompson, 1804-7; Daniel Hasty, 1808; Daniel
Hasty, Jr., 1809-10; Isaac S. Spring, 1811-12; Theodore Mussey,
1813-16; James Hasty, Jr., 1817-29; Oliver Frost, 1830-32;
Phineas Ingalls, 1833-43; Horatio J. Swasey, 1844-48; John H.
Philbrick, 1849-56; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1857-58; Joseph S.
Tompson, 1859-60; James K. Emery, 1861; Joseph S. Tomnpson, 1862;
Theodore M. Bradbury, 1863; William B. Cobb, 1864; Theodore M.
Bradbury, 1865; William H. Dresser, 1866-67; William Paine, 1868;
Joseph S. Tompson, 1869-72; to fill vacancy, John D. Higgins,
1872; John D. Higgins, 1873-74; William H. Libby, 1875; Orin K.
Phinney, 1876-77; William H. Libby, 1878; Isaac D. Sawyer, 1879.


     Josiah Shaw, 1786; Jonathan Philbrick, 1788; Theodore
Mussey, 1789; Dominicus Mitchell, 1790; Theodore Mussey,
1791-1803; William Tompson, 1804; Theodore Mussey, 1805;
William Thomson, 1806-7; James Philbrick, 1808; Samuel Dennet,
1809-11; Isaac S. Spring, 1812; Theodore Mussey, 1813-17; James
Hasty, Jr., 1818-29; Oliver Frost, 1830-32; Phineas Ingalls,
1833-43; Horatio J. Swasey, 1844-48; John Philbrick, 1849-56;
Theodore M. Bradbury, 1857-58; Joseph S. Tompson, 1859-60; James
K. Emery, 1861; Joseph S. Tompson, 1862; Theodore M. Bradbury,
1863; William B. Cobb, 1864; Theodore M. Bradbury, 1865; William
H. Dresser, 1866-67; William Pain, 1868; Joseph S. Tompson,
1869-72; to fill vacancy, John D. Higgins, 1872; John D. Higgins,
1873-74; William H. Libby, 1875; Orin K. Phinney, 1876-77;
William H. Libby, 1878; Isaac D. Sawyer, 1879.

                    CONSTABLES AND COLLECTORS.

     Sargent Shaw, 1786; Dominicus Mitchell, 1787; Israel Thorn,
1788; Daniel Hasty, 1789; Josiah Shaw, 1790; Daniel Hasty, 1791;
Simeon Sanborn, 1792; John Peirce, Peter Moulton, 1793; James
Moody, 1794; Daniel Lowell, 1795-96; Edward Mussey, 1797; James
Moody, 1798; Joseph Dow, 1799-1800; Edward Tompson, Joseph Dow,
cons., James Harty, col., 1801; Edward Tompson, 1802; Robert
Rowe, 1803; Joseph Dow, 1804-5; Daniel Hasty, 1806; Silas
Lowell, col., Bryan Martin, cons., 1807; Thomas Shaw, 1808;
Richard Pierce, 1809-10; Joseph C. Rackliff, 1811; Levi Sanborn,
cons., Peter Sanborn, cons., 1812; John Philbrick, 1813; Daniel
Freeman, 1814; Caleb P. Philbrick, 1815-16; William Butler, 1817;
Caleb P. Philbrick, 1818-21; Joseph Bailey, 1822; Edward
Thompson, 1823-26; James Hasty, Jr., cons, and col., Edward
Tompson, cons., 1827; Edward Tompson, cons., James Hasty, Jr.,
col., 1828; Daniel Hasty, 1829-30; Samuel Phinney, 1831-35; Peter
Shaw, 1836-38; William Paine, cons., 1838; Lemuel Rich, 1839;
Charles Tompson, 1840; Arza Mayo, cons., 1840; Arza Mayo, cons.,
Charles Thompson, col., 1841; Charles Thompson, 1842-44; Arza
Mayo, cons., 1844; Joslyn C. Robinson, 1845-47; Jonathan Moore,
1848-50; Lorenzo H. Moore, 1851; Alvah Weeks, 1852-54; Samuel L.
Davis, 1855-57; Ebenezer C. Hamblin, 1858; Lyman Sanborn, 1859;
Lyman Sanborn, Robert Ridlin, cons., 1860; Lyman Sanborn, 1861,
Alvab Weeks, 1862; Ebenezer Shaw, Jr., Ebenezer C. Hamlin, cons.,
1863; Alvah Weeks, William H. Dresser, eons., 1864; Uriah A.
Berry, 1865; Ephraim Higgins, 1866; John L. Chase, 1867-69;
Merritt I. Paine, 1870; Walter Brugdon, Alfred S. Cousins, cons.,
1871 Alfred S. Cousins, 1872-73; Daniel A. Paine, 1874-75; John
E. Tompson, 1876; John P. Moulton, 1877; Alfred S. Cousins, 1878;
James Moody, 1879.


     John Deane, 1786-90; Josiah Thatcher, 1791; John Deane,
1795-1803; Thomas Mussey, 1804; John Deane, 1808; William
Tompson, 1809; Theodore Mussey, 1812; William Tompson, 1820; B.
Chadbourne, 1834; James Hasty, Jr., 1835; E. Mayo, 1836; Horatio
J. Swasey, 1839; James Hasty, 1839-41; Benjamin Chadbourne, 1845;
Phineas Ingalls, H. J. Swasey, 1845-48; Charles Tompson, 1845;
Phineas Ingalls, H. A. Swasey, 1846; Joseph Sanborn, William C.
Lowell, 1847; T. M. Bradbury, 1848; H. J. Swasey, J. H.
Philbrick, Caleb Hodsdon, 1849; John Sawyer, 1849; Phineas
Ingalls, 1851; H. J. Swasey, George M. Small, Lemuel Rich (3d),
1852; Joseph Sanborn, 1856; Ebenezer Moulton, 1857; H. J. Swasey,


     The "Records of the Church of Christ in Standish" recite
that the first religious organization in the town was formed May
11, 1769, under the patronage of the original proprietors of the
land, who erected a church on the site of the old fort at
Standish Corner in that year, and John Tompson, who was ordained
at Portland, Oct. 25, 1768, was settled by them as pastor.  The
salary was payable in "one-third each, cash, East India goods,
and produce."  There were seven members, John Tompson, John
Pierce, George Freeman, Michael Philbrick, Josiah Shaw, David
Sanborn, and Peter Moulton.  Mary, wife of Josiah Shaw, Jonathan
Philbrick and wife, and Ebenezer Shaw and wife joined the church
during that year.  Jonathan Philbrick was the first deacon.  Rev.
Jonathan Gould was ordained Sept. 16, 1793, and became pastor at
once, retaining charge until his death in 1795.  He was succeeded
by Rev. Daniel Marrett, who was ordained for that purpose, and
also died at Standish, after a pastorate of thirty-three years. 
The present "Old Church" was erected in 1805, and dedicated by
him in 1806.  Thomas Church was one of the main contributors.
Rev. Thomas Tenny was ordained in 1820, and was pastor until
1829.  In 1834 a dissension occurred, taking away many of the

     After the reorganization of the Evangelical Church, as the
new society was named, the Unitarian Church Covenant was drawn up
by Rev. Amos D. Wheeler, a young minister just ordained, and was
adopted April 14, 1835.  He was pastor until 1846, and was
succeeded in turn by A. M. Bridge in 1843; E. J. Gerry, 1846;
Geo. Osgood, 1854; Jacob Caldwell, 1855; Rev. Mr. Nickerson,


was organized Feb. 5, 1834, by Rev. D. Merritt, with 73 members. 
The officers were Rev. Thomas Tenny, Pastor and Clerk; Enoch
Moody and Joshua Paine, Deacons.  Revs. Clark Perry, Silas Baker,
Isaac Weston, William Rand, and D. Harris succeeded as pastors.
Mr. Harris died at this charge, June 9, 1850, and was succeeded
by Rev. James P. Hadley, who made many converts to the church. 
Rev. Mark Gould became pastor in 1858; Charles Soule, 1862;
Calvin Chapman, 1863; Samuel Hopkins, 1866; Stephen H. Robinson,
1873; and John P. Trowbridge, the present pastor, in 1873.  A
fine building was erected in 1834 by Josiah Davis, Thomas Tenny,
Joshua Paine, Committee.  Present membership, 37.

                    FREE-WILL BAPTIST CHURCH.

     Baptist meetings were held as early as 1793.  In 1803 there
was an effort made to obtain from the town that part of the
church tax which came from Baptist citizens, but without success. 
Meetings were held at the house of John Plaistead, on Standish
Neck, until the erection of the church in 1806, through the
efforts of Simeon Moulton.  Clement Phinney, a young
school-teacher, who was converted at this time, became afterwards
a prominent minister.  Sargeant Shaw was an early minister.  In
1816, Miss Almira Wescott was ordained, and became a leading
preacher.  Rev. Joseph White died here.  Rev. Zachariah Leach,
1816; Clement Phinney, 1816-25; John Buzzell, Christopher
Bullock, Jeremiah Bullock, Thomas Strout, and Walker Parker have
since supplied them.

     May 4, 1861, the Free-Will Baptist Provisional Church was
organized by Rev. James Buzzel, who had been a regularly ordained
minister of the Free-Will Baptist Church.  Clark Cannel was
chosen clerk.  Rev. Thomas Strout succeeded to the pastorate in
1869, when George Maybery was chosen clerk, and Melvin Shaw
deacon.  Meetings are held in a school-house, the old church
having been torn down in 1875.  Present membership, 28.

     The Free-Will Baptist Chinch at Steep Falls was organized
Feb. 21, 1847, by Rev. Andrew Jacobson.  Among the first members
were Irva Norton, Peter Graffam and wife, Peltiah Hobson, Statera
Hobson, and Lyman Fisher, who was chosen clerk.  Their building
was erected in 1851 and dedicated by Rev. Mr. Peck, of Portland,
July 31st of that year.  Pastors:  Andrew Hobson, L. Parker,
1859-71; E. C. Cook, 1872-74; A. G. hill, 1874-76; Peltiah
Hobson, present pastor.  Present membership, 104, of whom 28 are
non-residents.  Officers:  Israel Small, Deacon and Clerk; John
Rand, Deacon; S. H. Cousins, Treasurer; Israel Small, Robert
Ridlon, Evans Harmon, Committee.


     The first Methodist class was formed under the preaching of
Revs. Alfred Metcalf and Daniel Berry in 1802.  Early meetings
were held in Capt. Jonathan Moore s house, the room-partitions
being removed for that purpose.  Thomas Shaw, Jonathan Moore, Ann
Warren, and George Thomas, who was class-leader until 1821, were
among the first members.  Revs. Ebenezer Blake, Philip Ayer, and
Joel Wick preceded Joseph Dennet, who came in 1816, and was
followed by James Jaynes.  Rev. Mr. Aimes, who died in Gorham,
John Paine, Jonathan Whiting, Philip and John S. Ayer, Melville
B. Cox, and Jolin Shaw also preached on this circuit.  Rev. Mr.
Shaw died in Gorham while a young man.  Through the exertions of
Rev. Green G. Moore a church was erected in 1826 at York s
Corner.  Revs. Nathaniel Morris, Samuel Jewett, Philip Munger,
1832; M. Wright, 1834; James Harrington, Daniel Crockett, David
Copeland were pastors to 1838; Nathaniel Pride succeeded in 1839;
John Hatch, 1840; Isaac Lord, 1841; Orlando H, Jasper, 1842;
George S. Davis, George D. Strout, 1843; O. H. Jasper, 1845;
Edward A. Stuffman, 1848; Luther B. Knight, 1856; Benjamin
Freeman, 1858; John E Baxter, 1860; S. V. Gerry, 1862; Nathan
Andrews, 1863; H. H. Martin, 1864; William C. Stevens, 1867; Ezra
Sanborn, 1869; Alva Cook, 1871; Benjamin F. Pease, 1874; W. S.
McIntire, 1877; W. F. Berry, 1878: George Hoyt, 1879. Present
trustees:  Charles F. Brown, A. Boulton, David L. Warren, A.
Usher.  Recording steward and class-leader, Aaron S. Nason. 
Membership, 82.

     A church was organized at Standish Corner in 1849; Jonathan
Moore, Joseph Moody, Freeman Paine, John and Daniel Rich, and
others, to the number of 29, joining in application for a
charter.  A building was erected by Jonathan Moore, Joseph Moody,
Freeman Paine, and Leonard Chase, trustees, and dedicated by Rev.
Joseph Jennie, presiding elder, Dec. 4, 1849. The pastors have
been John C. Perry, 1849; Daniel Waterhouse, N. D. Centre, C. C.
Mason, Alpha Turner, S. S. Ranks, J. Rice, Marcus Wright. 
Present steward, Freeman Paine.  Trustees, Freeman Paine,
William Dollif, Daniel B. Jackson.  Membership, 28.

                       THE STANDISH ACADEMY

was incorporated by act of Legislature, in 1848, with Rev.
Ichabod Nichols, Rufus P. Cutler, John T. G. Nichols, Andrew
Hobson, Jonathan Moore, Wm. H. Lowell, Edwin J. Gerry, Geo. H.
Nichols, Green Cram, Gardner Dennett, Theodore M. Bradbury,
Thomas Cram, Joshua Payne, Jr., James W. Emery, trustees. Rev.
Ichabod Nichols was made President; William H. Lowell,
Vice-President; T. M. Bradbury, Secretary; and Gardner Dennett,
Treasurer.  The upper floor of the First Parish church was filled
by them, and occupied as academy rooms. In August, 1849, the
Legislature of Maine conveyed to the trustees one-half township
of land; their committees effected a sale to Wm. T. Chadbourne,
for $4350.

     The principals have been Thomas Talbott, 1848-49; Richard
Gardner, Lincoln F. Emerson, 1851; George Sennot, 1852; D. L.
Lane, 1853; Lucien Hunt, 1853-54; Henry Dunlap, 1856.  The
academy declined, for want of sufficient patronage.  The last
meeting of the directors was held July 14, 1857.


     There is a lodge of F. A. M., Standish Centre.

     Lodges of I. O. of G. T.:  Sebago Lake, No. 96; Steep Falls,
No. 77; Bonny Eagle, No. 21.

     Patrons of Husbandry, Standish, No. 122.

     Cornet Band, Steep Falls, established 1879, Andrew F.
Sanborn, leader.

     Merchants:  Theodore Mussey, Robert Rowe, Standish Corner,
1803; Benj. Chadbourne, Joseph Webster; Old Landing, 1825; Wm.
Foss, Wm. Wintgate, Steep Falls, 1826; Cousins & Banks, Wingate &
Hobson, Tobias Lord, Jr., Steep Falls, 1878; Nancy W. Trafton,
ladies' goods, W. Paine, postmaster, 1878; J. S. Webster, Lemuel
Rich & Son, Sebago Lake, 1878; J. P. Warren, Bonny Eagle, 1878.

     Manufacturers: Archambeau & Decormier, grist-mill,
established 1874; G. M. & S. C. Rich, lumber and stones; J. C.
Dyer, staves; F. A. Radou, F. Harmon, W. S. Hanscom, carriages;
Waterhouse & Plummer, boots and shoes; Irvin & E. T. Libby,
smiths; W. H. Bacon & Co., clothing, Sebago Lake; Wingate &
Hobson, clothing; Tobias Lord, box-lumber, plaster, and grist-
mill; Coolbroth & Tucker, grist- and stave-mill; W. D. & Leroy S.
Mayo, coopers; C. N. Shaw, smith, Steep Falls; Isaac D. Sawyer,
established 1877; Evans & Libby, clothing; D. B. Jackson, marble;
Bryant Paine, D. U. Paine, A. Rand, N. Rand, coopers; S. Higgins,
Freeman Paine, smiths.

                      SCHOOLS AND ACADEMIES.

     The first school was organized in the western district
previous to 1787, in which year a proposition was presented for
building a school-house. The next year, ?60 were voted to build a
school-house. The first school committee were Bryan Martin, Peter
Moulton, Joseph Case, and William Cummings.  Mrs. Cummings taught
school in her house in 1793, giving the children their lessons
while working at her loom.  In 1821 the town was regularly
organized into 10 school districts, and in 1836 increased to 15.
The town now comprises 13 school districts.  Whole number of
school children, 607.  For the year ending March, 1879, moneys
raised by the town were $2100, of which $50 is assigned to Fry's
Island, an island in Sebago Lake, containing 1000 acres, and
occupied by one family.  The balance is divided among the various
districts.  There are good wood school-houses in each district,
except that in No. 4, at Sebago Lake, which is of brick.


     Simon Greenleaf, late Professor of Law in Harvard
University, and author of "Greenleaf on Evidence," 1833; Randolph
S. Codman, William Boyd, Nathan Appleton, Daniel C. Pooh, Henry
Lowell, Fitz-Henry Mussey.  Present Horatio J. Swasey, who
commenced practice at Standish Corner, in 1833.


     Dr. Isaac Snow Tompson, Dr. Ebenezer Howe, who died in 1841,
Dr. Phineas Ingalls, Dr. Toles, Dr. Whitney, Dr. William
Westcott. Present Dr. William Cobb, from 1864, Dr. A. V.
Thompson, 1874 to 1879.

     WILLIAM H. DRESSER, eldest son of Joseph and Olive (Dennett)
Dresser, was born in Hollis, York Co., Me., Jan. 1, 1832.  His
father was a native of Buxton, and died about 1837.  His mother
was a daughter of the late John Dennett, of Hollis, one of the
early settlers of that town, a farmer and tanner by occupation, a
prominent citizen of the town and county, and who, for twenty
years in succession, was a representative in the Legislature of
Massachusetts prior to Maine becoming an independent State.

     William H. received his education in the common school and
Standish Academy.  For ten years he was a teacher during winter
terms, working on the farm in summers.  In 1867 he opened a
general store in Standish, having become a resident of that town
when only two years of age by the removal of his parents, who
settled there from Hollis in 1834. He continued his mercantile
business for three years.  In 1870 he was appointed deputy
sheriff, which office he held until 1876, when he was elected on
the Republican ticket sheriff of Cumberland County and by
re-election, in the fall of 1878, is now serving his second term.

     In early childhood Mr. Dresser began to take an interest in
local politics and a general interest in the affairs of town and
county, and as a citizen of Standish represented his town in
various official places of trust.  For three years he was a
member of the school board; was collector and treasurer of the
town and for three years selectman, assessor, and overseer of the
poor.  The other children of his father's family are Daniel R.
and Angeline, wife of James W. Brown, principal of the State
Reform School in Minnesota.

     He married, April 27, 1861, Cassendana, youngest daughter in
a family of ten children of Wear and Mercy (Sanborn) Cram, of
Standish.  Her grandfather, Daniel Cram, was one of the early
settlers of the town.  Mrs. Dresser was born February 1830. 
Their children are Walter H., Alvin c., Maud G., and Mabel.

                      BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCES.

                           TOBIAS LORD,

son of Tobias and Susan (Deering) Lord, natives of Kennebunk,
York Co., was born in Hollis, York Co., Dec. 30, 1803.  His early
life was spent on the farm and in assisting his father in
lumbering.  The remainder of his life, after reaching his
majority, has been spent in farming, lumbering, and as a
     He married Adeline, daughter of Joseph Hobson, of Buxton,
Me.  Of this union were born five children, four of whom are
living, viz., John, Jeremiah, Abbie, wife of Dr. William S. Cobb,
of Standish, Tobias, Jr.  Politically he was originally a
Democrat, but became a Republican upon the formation of that
party.  He was a representative from Buxton in the State
Legislature of 1836.  In the spring of 1836 he removed from
Buxton to Standish, and has been a representative since he
resided in Cumberland County, and has also held the local offices
of assessor and selectmen.

                        TOBIAS LORD, JR.,

youngest son of Tobias Lord, was born in the town of Standish,
Cumberland Co., Me., Dec. 2, 1846.  His parents removed from
Buxton some forty years ago, and settled at Steep Falls, where
his father has been largely engaged in the lumber business, and
during his residence there he has been instrumental in building
up the village.  Tobias Lord, Jr., received a good common-school
and academical education, and at the age of sixteen was appointed
clerk in the Provost-Marshal General s Bureau, Washington, D.C.
After one year he resigned and became a clerk for his father. 
In 1875 he succeeded his father in the general store, and has
since carried on a successful business at Steep Falls, Standish. 
Mr. Lord is an interested, active, and influential member of the
Republican party, and represented the district of Standish and
Baldwin in the Legislature of 1879 and 1880.  He has been a
member of the Masonic fraternity since he reached his majority,
passing through the York and Ancient and Accepted Scottish bodies
to the thirty-second degree, and has been installed Chancellor
Commander of the first lodge of Knights of Pythias instituted in
Standish.  He is a man of great perseverance, of strict integrity
in all his business relations, and performs his official duties
with zeal and fidelity.

                      COL. LEMUEL RICH (3D),

son of Israel and Rhoda (Smith) Rich, was born in the town of
Standish, Aug. 25, 1804.  His father was born in Gorham in 1776,
and his ancestors were from England, settled in Truro, Mass.,
from which place the family removed to Cumberland County.
     Col. Rich received his education in the common school and in
Gorham Academy. His early life was spent in agricultural
pursuits, teaching school, and in the cooper business.  In 1831
he began selling general merchandise in the town of Standish, and
in the same year, December 2d, he married Esther, daughter of
James Bangs, of Gorham.  They have an adopted son, John H., who
is a member of the firm of L. Rich & Son, of Standish. 
Politically, he was originally a Democrat, but became a member of
the Republican party during President Pierce s administration. 
He was a representative in the State Legislature in 1840 and
1841; county commissioner in 1842, '44, '45, and '46; and has
held the office of justice of the peace since 1831, a period of
nearly one-half a century.
     He is a member of the Baptist Church of Standish. He joined
the State militia in 1823, was commissioned lieutenant in 1826,
and resigned with the rank of colonel.  His wife died March,

                          WILLIAM RICH,

son of Col. Lemuel and Betsey (Smith) Rich, was born in the town
of Standish, Oct. 15, 1809.  His education was received in the
common school and at Parsonsfield Academy.  His life has been
spent on the farm and in the manufacture of lumber.  He married,
Oct. 19, 1837, Hannah, daughter of Joshua Emery, of Gorham.  She
was born in that town, May 16, 1816.  Of this union were born six
children, Lyman H., born July 19, 1839, and died Dec. 13, 1857;
Samuel C., born Sept. 12, 1841, and resides with his father; W.
E. Channing, born April 10, 1843, principal of Lameree Grammar
School at South Boston; Cyrus H., born March 18, 1845, resides in
Lowell; Eugene, born April 10, 1847; Emery, born Nov. 7, 1850. 
The mother of these children died Nov. 17, 1850.

     Mr. Rich married, June 26, 1853, Lucy, daughter of Daniel
Freeman, of Standish.  She was born Dec. 8, 1821.  Of this union
was born one daughter, Hannah E., born July 25, 1857.   He is a
respectable farmer, and has held the office of selectman in his
town.  He is a member of the church, and a promoter of kindred

You are the Counter requires graphical browser visitor to stop at Standish, Cumberland Co., Maine Since April 10, 1998
This page was last updated on Saturday, 08-Sep-2018 23:13:11 MDT
Return to :Standish Index
HTML© 1999-2002 Dana E. Edgecomb