Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.




DIXTON (or Dixton Newton) is a parish on the river Wye, on the road from Ross to Monmouth, and extending to the Gloucestershire border, 1 mile north-east from Monmouth railway station, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Skenfrith, Monmouth and Skenfrith highway district, petty sessional division, union and county court district and partly in the parliamentary borough of Monmouth, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, in the Early, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches, and a western tower with low broach spire, containing 4 bells, the tenor being of pro-Reformation date, and inscribed "Sancta Margareta era pro nobis". There are 250 sittings. The register dates from the the year 1661.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 150, with 9 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Charles Edward Machen esq., of Bicknor Court, Gloucestershire, and held since 1886 by the Rev. John Witherston Rickards B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge.

The church of St. James, at Wyesham, a chapel of ease to the parish church, erected in 1875, at a cost of 1,500, is a stone building in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and a north western tower containing one bell, with a low wooden spire: the stained east window was a gift to the church: the west window is a memorial to the late Henry Gosling esq.

Here is a steam saw mill, a brick and tile manufactory, and gas works.

In a field on the right hand side of the road leading to Monmouth is a tumulus, which some years ago was opened and found to contain Roman pottery. The Kymin Hill, about 1 miles due east from Monmouth, rises to a height of 700 feet above the river Wye, and affords a fine and extensive prospect. On the top is a monument or temple, erected in August, 1800, to commemorate the victories achieved by English admirals in the 18th century, and dedicated to her Grace the Duchess of Beaufort, daughter of Admiral Boscawen; it was restored by the Duke of Beaufort in 1882: a circular pavilion, restored in 1889, has also been erected for the use of visitors; the view from the summit of this remarkable hill extends to a circumference of nearly three hundred miles, including parts of ten counties, namely, Salop, Montgomery, Radnor, Brecon, Hereford, Worcester, Gloucester, Somerset, Glamorgan, and Monmouth. A little distance to the south-east is a rocking stone, known as the "Buckstone"; it was mischievously displaced in 1885, by some trippers, but was replaced in the following year at an expenditure of 500.

Newton Court is the seat of George Griffin Griffin esq., M.A., D.L., J.P.,  The Garth is the residence of Lieut.Col. James Davies D.L., J.P.,   Leasbrook that of the Rev. Humphrey Farran Hall M.A.

Wyesham House, the seat of Mrs. Tudor, widow of the Rev. Thomas Owen Tudor, vicar of St. Thomas', Monmouth, is an ancient building in the Tudor style, standing on an eminence overlooking the Wye and the Monnow.

The principal landowners are the Crown, the Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. who is lord of the manor, G. G. Griffin esq., J. M. Bannerman esq. of Wyaston Leys, and Mrs. Tudor, of Wyesham House. The soil is light loam; subsoil, red sandstone. The area is 3,385 acres of land and 82 of water; rateable value, 1,635; the population in 1891 was 642.

MAY HILL is a hamlet 1 mile south of the church.

REDBROOK is a hamlet 3 miles south.

WYESHAM is a hamlet half-a-mile south of May Hill.

Parish Clerk, James Ward.

Post, M.O., T.O., T. M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuitv & Insurance office, Redbrook.
David Williams, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Monmouth at 6.55 a.m. dispatched at 6 p.m

National School, Wyesham, built in 1873, for 109 children. Average attendance, 109.
Mrs. S. C. Bowen, mistress

Bannerman James Murray B.A., D.L, J.P., Wyaston Leys
Colls Col. Robert Stacy, Wyesham house.
Davies Lieut.Col. James D.L., J.P., The Garth
Griffin George Griffin, M.A., D.L., J.P., Newton court
Hall Rev. Humphrey Farran M.A., Leasbrook
Powell Charles Champney, The Elms
Powell Mrs. The Elms
Rickards Rev. John Witherston B.A., The Vicarage,
Sambrook William, "Gartref", Wyesham
Tippins Geo. Porter, Wye vale,Wyeshm
Tudor Mrs. Wyesham house

. Bellamy John, farmer, Buckholt house farm
Davis David, farmer, Duffields
Davison Samuel, Duke of York P.H
Edmunds David, farmer, Newton court farm
Edwards James, farmer, Beaulieu farm
Jones Amos, butcher, The Buckholt
Lewis Mrs., farmer, Chapel farm
Lloyd David, farmer, Cwm farm
Morgan David, farmer, Great Manson farm
Perkins Henry Francis, farmer, Hadnock court farm
Woodhouse George, (executors of), nurserymen, Dixton road

Brace Isaac Madley
Brace Thomas, The Firs
Hall Hubert, Heatherdale
Hill Egerton Henry, May Hill villa
Owen Evan, May Hill house

Hall James, building material dealer
Hutton James, George inn P.H
Monmouth Gas & Water Works Lim. (Thomas Brace, sec. & manager)
Monmouth Steam Saw Mills, Lime & Coal Co. Limited, office, Monk street, Monmouth
Morgan Charles, builder & contractor and Travellers' Rest P.H.
Powell Charles Thomas, hoop manufacturer & bender
Ticklepenny Wm. Jn., brick & tile maker
Watkins E., nurseryman, May Hill & Wyesham nurseries & at Monnow street, Monmouth
Wood Robert Lessel, monumental mason, Wyesham

Burgham Arthur, Inglewood
Beard Edward, Redbrook house, Lower Redbrook
Courteen Thomas, Spring cottage
Courteen Tom Allen, Redbrook house, Upper Redbrook

Beard Ann (Mrs.), Bell inn
Bennett & Co. grocers, Lower Redbrook
Burgham Arthur, brewer & maltster
Courteen Tom Allen, miller (steam & water), Wye valley roller mill
Foster Samuel, boot maker
Hawkins Thomas, Queen's Head P.H.
Moore Theophilus, baker
Morgan Jane, Founders' Arms P.H
Redbrook Tinplate Co. Lim., (Alexander Taylor, managing director)
Taylor Sarah Ann (Mrs.), King's head P.H
Wheeler John, Bush inn
Williams David, boot maker and sub-postmaster, Post office.
Williams Wm., blacksmith & shopkeeper