Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.


LLANVETHERINE is a parish and village on the road from Abergavenny to Ross, and bounded on the east by the river Trothy, 5 miles north-east from Abergavenny station on the Great Western railway and 21 north-east from Newport, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. James the Elder is a small but ancient building of stone in the 14th century style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 2 bells. The church was partially restored in 1866 and completed in 1872, at the expense of the Rev. Francis Church Steel, M.A., late rector, and in 1898 the interior was reseated in oak and an oak pulpit erected. There are 200 sittings. In the churchyard is an ancient monument, regarded as the tomb of Saint Veterinus, from whom the name of the parish is derived. The register dates from the year 1693.

The living is a rectory, net income 230, with 51 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny K.G., and held since 1876 by the Rev. William Pinney B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. There is a chapel for the Baptists.

The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Reginald Vaughan esq. of Glen Trothy, Mrs. Willis, of Lydart, Mrs. Gordon Canning, of Hartpury, Gloucester, Mrs. Curre of Itton Court, the trustees of the Caerleon charity and Mr. Parry. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and apples; one half of the land is laid down in pasture. The area is 2,163 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, 2,089, and the population in 1891 was 193.

Post Office. Mrs. Ann Jones, sub-postnustress.
Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 8.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.5 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llantillio Crossenny, 3 miles distant

Parish School, built in 1874, for 60 children; average attendance, 45; supported by subscriptions.
Mrs, Forbes, mistress

Jones John, Mount Pleasant
Pinney Rev. William, B.A. (rector)

Barrell Charles, King's Arms P.H. Good accommodation for visitors.
Bradney William, carpenter
Brown William, shopkeeper
Davies George, farmer, The Cross
Evans Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Court farm
Gwilliam Wm. J., farmer, Little Pool hall
Jasper Thomas, farmer, Great Blungoed
Johnson Walter, farmer, Great Pool hall & White house
Jones Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper and Post office
Jones Peter, farmer, Gelly-lwyd
Jones Tom, farmer, Wynstone court
Jones Wm., farmer, Little Blungoed
Jones William, stone mason
Kirby John, farmer, Cwmmera
Lambert Mary Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer
Lane William, blacksmith
Lewis Joshua, farmer, Gelly farm
Pritchar(l Noah, frmr. Cefndwyglwydd
Prosser Daniel, shoe maker
Watkins Daniel, farmer, Wernycwm
Williams James, farmer, Pant farm
Williams John, farmer, Pen-y-wrlod
Williams Thomas, farmer, Newhouse