The Fay Family: Genealogies: William Charles Fay

William Charles Fay
Biographies, Maps and Census Evidence
Return to Main Page
William helped build the "Evan's Hotel" in Hot Springs, and the "Blue Bell Lodge" (as yet it is not changed from what a beautiful bulding it was and when new)(1980). William lived with Albert G. and Dovie Fay at Edgemont, SD, the last few years of his life.--He was 20 when he came from Minnesota to the Black Hills. Went into livestock business with his father on Dry Creek, Southeast of Game Lodge. During the Indian uprising he acted as a scout going ahead of the company ito the Badlands. He led an active life ranching and stockraising. Died very suddenly. William was the Fire "Look-Out" man for years on Harney Peak. A very straight laced man.
Death Notice of Albert Fay
William C. Fay, 74, pioneer of the Black Hills since 1887 and a scout during the battle of Wounded Knee in 1890 died unexpectedly Thursday evening April 9 (we think 1942), and funeral services were held Saturday afternoon from the Heidepriem Funeral Home.

The Rev. John Langenes, pastor of the Community church officiated at the services and music was in charge of Mrs. C. E. Perrin. Burial was in Custer Cemetery and escorting the body were A. K. Cowles, Kenneth Clwles, Theo Shoemaker, P. D. Peterson, J. P. Gunlach, and Everett Snider.

Mr. Fay was born in Freeborn county, Minnesota, July 15, 1867. He remained in Minnesota until the aghe of 20 when he migrated to the Black Hills. His father and uncle had come to the Hills in 1885 and returned for the family. The trip here was made by wagon train and a herd of about 20 head of cattle was trailed along.

The elder Fay had homesteaded on Dry Creek southeast of the Game lodge, and with his father they engaged in stock raising. During the Indian uprising, Fay acted as a scout going ahead of the company into the Badlands.

Mr. Fay led an active life, ranching and stock raising until recently when his health began failing, and last Thursday afternoon he came down town as usual. Soon after going home his death occurred. He had started to build a fire in the stove, toppled over and died within a v3ry short time.

He is survived by one son Albert Fay of Custer, a step-daughter, Mrs. Bessie Hendrickson, of Hollywood, California, a brother Frank, of Rapid City, a sister Mrs. Alice Clason, living in the east end of the county, one granddaughter, Marie Fay, other relatives and a host of friends.
"Custer Chronicle" of Custer, S.D.