NameAngevine REYNOLDS
Death17 Nov 1888
Birth1838, Arkansas
Death18 Apr 1875, Mariposa, Mariposa Co., California
BurialMariposa I.O.O.F. Cemetery, Mariposa Co., California
Marriage28 Apr 1851, California
ChildrenArthur (ca1860-1885)
 Loretta (1862-1924)
 Leonora (1864-1897)
 Angevine (1869-1871)
Death11 Jan 1931, Palo Alto, California
Marriage13 Jul 1879, Mariposa, Mariposa Co., California
Notes for Angevine REYNOLDS
Angevine REYNOLDS Nov. 14, 1888 Mariposa Gazette
Mr. REYNOLDS, the editor of the Gazette, has been lying dangerously ill, with pneuonia, for a week past. His general system being much enfeebled, any disease fastens easily upon him, and makes it more difficult for him to recuperate, than for a younger or healthier person. His condition, at this time is critical and it is hard to predict the results. Dr. RIED is in close attendance on him since Sunday.

Salinas Weekly Index
Monterey, CA
6 Dec 1888
**Death of an Editor -- The Mariposa 'Gazette' of the 24th ult., comes to us with its column rules turned, the ominous black lines telling us that its editor, Angevine REYNOLDS, is dead. He passed to the Great Beyond on the 17th of November, aged 59 years, having been born in Westchester county, New York, in 1829. He came across the continent through New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California in 1849, arriving at Mariposa on the 13th of September in that year. He there engaged in the stage, express business and mining, and held the office of County Clerk for 14 years, 7 consecutive elections, until 1875. In 1874, he bought the Mariposa 'Gazette,' which he owned and, either separately or in partnership, published up to the time of his death. In politics Mr. REYNOLDS was a staunch Democrat, but liberal in his views. He was married twice. His first wife, to whom he was married at Stockton in 1851, was Miss Virginia BIRD. By her he had 15 children, of whom only Mrs. Loretta A. WOODARD, Mrs. Leonora M. LATCHAW and the sons, Sherman C., Albert B., Willie G., and Benjamin A. REYNOLDS survive him. Mrs. Virginia REYNOLDS died in April, 1875. In July, 1879, Mr. REYNOLDS was married a second time to Miss Frances A. UTTER, who survives him and by whom he had 3 children, of whom Emily I. And Richard F. REYNOLDS are living. The deceased was a man of more than ordinary intellectual attainments; generous to a fault, a kind husband and father and a true friend.
May he rest in peace.

THE MARIPOSA GAZETTE, Saturday, November 24, 1888
 Born December 9th 1829
Died November 17th 1888
It is hardly meet that such a brief inscription as the above, on some modest slab in the quiet corner of the Odd Fellow's Cemetery in Mariposa, should be the only memorial of a long, busy and useful life. It is with that feeling that we propose to give here a brief sketch of the life and character of Angevine Reynolds, so long and intimately known to all the people of Mariposa county as one of her oldest settlers and leading citizens, associated alike with all the transient brilliancy of the early golden days of ‘49 and ‘50 and with the darker subsequent period of decline and decay. Another of the few links which still connect the Mariposa of to-today with the wonderful and now half-forgotten past, is severed and we are again reminded how soon the old Pioneers," the men of ‘49 and their strange romantic story are to pass from the memories of living men and to become merely a tradition of a history. 
It seems right then that we, who survive, should perform the same kindly office for Mr. Reynolds, which he has performed for so many of his old pioneer associates and friends and do our part to rescue his memory from undeserved oblivion by some worthy tribute of affectionate remembrance. It is also peculiarly appropriate that the Mariposa Gazette with which Mr. Reynolds has been identified for so many years should undertake the task of preserving in its columns some memorial record, however, imperfect of a varied but honorable career.
  Angevine Reynolds was born in Westchester county, New York, December 9, 1829 and was the youngest of some twelve children. His father died while he was still very young, and the family having been broken up, he was sent to live with a relative in Ohio. Here, for some reason, he became so dissatisfied that he ran away and though scarcely nine years old he succeeded in getting to Buffalo New York, in one of the lake steamboats and from there down the Erie canal, to the vicinity of Montezuma, in Western New York, where his mother was living with relatives, and sometimes working out. During this time, he obtained a good common education and acquired that excellent hand writing which helped so materially to fit him fer [sic] his future duties.
  When he was about fifteen years old and older brother who had been established for some years at Bastrop, Texas, and who was carrying on a large mercantile business at that place, took him to Texas. Here he lived for about five years, assisting his brother in carrying on the flourishing business of the latter, until the reported discovery of gold in California. This event produced in Texas and elsewhere the first outbreak of the California fever. Young Reynolds did not escape the contagion and joined a party of about thirty young men, bound for the new El Dorado. This company left Bastrop, Texas, in April. 1849, and after traveling six weary months through the then almost unexplored wilds of New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California, and undergoing almost every form of distress and danger, they at last reached the outposts of the scanty white population of that period, near Los Angeles. From Los Angeles, they traveled over the Coast Ranges, into and up the San Joaquin valley, arriving at Mariposa, his future home, on the 13 day of September, 1849. Mr. Reynolds, though never making any parade of his adventures, was always ready to narrate them, and would frequently refer to noteworthy incidents of the journey. He always had a warm interest in the lives and fortunes of his associates all of whom with one exception, are believed to be now dead. Even the old white mule, which had served him so faithfully as a beast of burden during the whole trip and survived it many years, was not forgotten as appeared by quite a lengthy notice of its history which appeared in the Gazette a few years ago.
  After his arrival, Mr. Reynolds mined for a while near Mariposa, but soon turned his hand to other avocations. In 1851, he became connected with the stage and express business between Mariposa, Stockton and Sacramento and, while thus engaged, he resided for four years at Stockton. At the end of that time he left the occupation and returned to Mariposa and has since resided here continuously.
  During the early part of his residence, in this county, he was interested in various enterprises. He was at one time associated with J. O. Lovejoy, now of Tulare City, in erecting and running a saw mill, near Snow Creek, and built and live d in the house now occupied by Joseph H. Green. For the purposes of the mill, he surveyed and constructed the road leading form Mormon Bar to Darral [sic] and Snow Creek, on nearly the same route it occupies to-day.
  But the principal enterprise in which he was interested at that period was a highly important undertaking, whose success would have assured the prosperity of the county for all time. For several years he devoted most of his means and all his time to a proposed canal to bring the water of the Merced river into the neighborhood of Mariposa, where they could be made available for mining, agricultural and other useful purposes. But the fates were against the project. The almost total cessation of placer mining, and the consequent loss of populating and wealth ruined the enterprise. Placer mining had ceased and quartz mining on a large scale had not yet begun.
  He now entered the county Clerk's office of Mariposa county as a deputy, and continued there three years in that position. He was than elected County Clerk, and held that office by seven successive elections, fourteen years, till 1875. While still in the Clerk's office he established the Mariposa Mail, in 1868 and continued to publish it till 1871. In 1874, he bought the Mariposa Gazette, which he has owned and, either separately or in partnership, published ever since.
  About 1876, Mr. Reynolds was admitted to the bar of the then Thirteenth Judicial District, and had made all necessary preparations for embarking in the active practice of the law, when an unfortunate fire consumed his office containing a valuable, legal library, and left him unable to continue that business.
  In 1882, he was very strongly interested in the independent movement of that year, designed to secure a new set of county officers. He was the candidate for District Attorney on that ticket and was only defeated by 39 votes, while most of his colleagues were still further from obtaining success. Since that time, he has not been a candidate for any public office of importance but has limited himself to editing and publishing the Gazette. In 1885 he took into partnership Mr. E. P. Wason who had been connected with the Gazette as printer and foreman since 1882 and the paper has since been published by the firm of Reynolds & Wason.
  In the spring of 1884, Mr. Reynold's health, never of late years very robust, began to fail under a serious chronic affection of the kidneys. Since that time, though usually able toattend to business, he was essentially an invalid, and was several times brought into great danger by attacks of other diseases, which his weakened constitution found it difficult to resist. In April 1887, he went with his wife and youngest children to San Francisco and stayed there during the hot weather, for the double purpose of benefitting his health and of selling certain mines in which he took a great interest. He did not succeed in selling the mines but his health was greatly improved and for nearly a year, he was decidedly better than before his visit to the city.
  This fall however, he has been clearly worse and grew so visibly feeble, that when the week after the election, pneumonia finally attacked him, it was pain to his friends form the beginning that there was little or no hope of his recovery. The end came quite suddenly, so suddenly, that though sent for, the absent members of the family could not arrive in time to see him alive. Early Saturday morning, he was obviously failing rapidly, and about 9 A.M. he passed away, dying as peacefully as a child sinks to sleep.
  Though his death came too late for any announcement in the last number of the Gazette, and many people from abroad for want of notice, were thus prevented from being present at his funeral, which took place Monday after noon at 2 o'clock, the large and almost universal attendance of the people of Mariposa and vicinity was a striking testimonial of respect and good will. The Odd Fellows, of whom the deceased had been a member in good standing, since 1852, took charge of the service, assisted by delegations from the lodges at Bear Valley and Hornitos. The day though coming in the midst of a week of storm, was a beautiful one and favored the performance with due solemnity of the burial service of the Order.
  Mr. Reynolds was married twice, His first wife, to whom he was married at Stockton in 1851. Was Miss Virginia Bird. By her he had fifteen children of whom only Mrs. Loretta A. Woodard, Mrs. Leonora M. Latchaw, and the sons, Sherman C., Albert B., Willie G., and Benjamin A. Reynolds survive him. Mrs. Virginia Reynolds died in April, 1875.
  In July, 1879, Mr. Reynolds was married a second time to Miss Frances A. Utter, who survives him and by whom he had three children, of whom Emily I. and Richard F. Reynolds are living.
  It now remains to speak briefly of those qualities of mind and character by which our departed friend was distinguished. Mr. Reynolds was one who would never in any community have been considered an ordinary or common place man, but he was peculiarly fitted to succeed in the California of early days, which it strange heterogeneous but intelligent population. A comment which was one heard made on the early population of Independent Texas, that all kinds of people were to be found there but fools, was exactly applicable to the California of that day. In such a population, the quick, ready, bright witted man of business was sure of success, while there was no place for the profound student or mere plodder. These qualities Mr. Reynolds had, and they enabled him to attain position and business success. He made large sums of money, which in the free-handed ways of that time, he sometimes trusted to men that defrauded him, and sometimes he spent lavishly like everybody has in that golden time. What remained of his gains, he devoted to the enterprises of which we have spoken and which, pecuniarily, were total losses.
  This brings us to speak of a very marked trait in Mr. Reynolds' character. He was preeminently a public spirited man. He thought in these enterprises far more of the benefit the public would derive from them, than the pecuniary benefits he might personally hope to reap. He could clearly see the almost unbounded advantages that the completion of that great Merced River canal would confer upon the whole community to which he belonged, and he was wiling to risk all he had to realize the charming picture. Even to his latest days he still loved to dwell on his old project and cherished the vain hope that he might live to see his designs realized, even by others. The same was true of all enterprises which promised a general public benefit. They received his cordial support, and that of his paper, and he was always ready to devote time, labor and even money, when he had it, to any scheme of the kind which commended itself to his judgment. Thus, during the last summer, he was profoundly interested in the proposed issue of bonds for the new roads, and since they were voted, he has felt the greatest interest, as long as he was well enough to take an interest in anything, in the different routes proposed and in all questions connected therewith.
  In his political relations, Mr. Reynolds was always a staunch Democrat. While, like most men of sound sense, he refused to be always bound by political ties in merely local contests, the National and State tickets always received his cordial and unswerving support.  In the last campaign, from the beginning to the end, President Cleveland had no more zealous and disinterested friend, no more loyal supporter.
  Coming to his more personal and social relations, Mr. Reynolds was a man of quick, ardent feelings with the virtues and the faults that belong to that temperament. He was naturally warm, open and frank, both in his likes and dislikes, and accordingly had his warm friends, and at times his bitter enemies. But he never sought to perpetuate and keep alive the flame of an expiring animosity. No man was readier to meet an estranged but returning friend half way, or to forget the wrangles of the past in the hope of a kindlier future. We believe that we may truthfully say that he died with his heart at peace with all or nearly all of his old antagonists. This was indeed his natural disposition to be kind and friendly to all, and in his aid to those that needed it he was ever liberal and generous to a fault.
  In society he was an agreeable and entertaining companion, and his conversation was highly interesting, especially when it turned upon topics with which he was familiar. The whole subject of mining as pursued in Mariposa county, was thoroughly familiar to him. Few experts understood the subject better and certainly few miners possess the vast fund of information which he had acquired with regard to the mines of Mariposa county and which, with a natural gift of easy and pleasant conversation, made it a great pleasure to listen to him on such topics and enabled him to impress favorably the many mining experts and prospectors who visited him, and, in fact, all who took an interest in such subjects.
  And now having reviewed, however imperfectly, the principal events and incidents of our decease3d friend's career and the most marked points of his character, we feel justified in commending him to the kindly remembrance of the good people of Mariposa county to whose welfare and prosperity his thoughts and efforts for so many years were Loyally devoted.
Transcribed by Thomas D. Hilk, 1725 Wildwood CT, Merced, CA 95340

Formerly editor and proprietor of the Mariposa Gazette from 1875-1888.
Notes for Virginia (Spouse 1)
REYNOLDS, Mrs. Virginia April 24, 1875 Mariposa Gazette
Mrs. Virginia REYNOLDS, wife of the editor of the Gazette, departed this life at half past two o’clock p.m., on Sunday, the 18th inst. Her death was not anticipated by the bereaved husband or those who were in attendance on her by even so much as a minute’s warning. Almost immediately after her infant was born, the spirit of the mother departed to Him who gave it. She alone appeared to have a premonition that the hand of death would soon be laid upon her, and that God would soon claim her for his own. With this idea in her mind, she spoke to her husband of the children frequently, requesting him to watch over and care for them in their tender years. He had turned from her to an adjoining room. leaving her in the full possession of her mental faculties, and appearently strong. He was absent but a minute; when he returned she was a corpse. The child born at the time of her death, and which was buried with the mother, was the fifteenth child born to Mr. and Mrs. REYNOLDS. Seven remain to mourn the loss of a kind and loving mother-the oldest fifteen, and the youngest two years of age. The deceased was the daughter of John and May BIRD, and was born in Arkansas in 1838. Shortly after her birth her parents moved to Mississippi, where both died. She was then adopted by Colonel John CAROTHERS and wife, who brought her to San Joaquin county, California, where she resided until April 28th, 1851, at which date she was joined in matrimony to him who now feels her loss more keenly than all others. Her married life lacked but ten days of twenty-four years. She was a woman possessed of many endearing qualities-kind of heart, ever ready to assist the afflicted, of sound judgement, a superior house-keeper, one who acted as though she believed that cleanliness was next to Godliness, ever neat in her house, in the appearal of herself and children, a good mother, a firm, compassionate and able aid and counselor to her husband, a loving wife, she “was all the world to him.” The afflicted and sorrowing husband and children have the heartfelt sympathies of the community in their bereavement. The mother and her infant girl were interred in the same grave, in the Odd Fellows’ cemetery, on Tuesday last. The remains were followed to their last resting place by a very large concourse of friends.
Notes for Frances Adelia (Spouse 2)
Married July 19, 1879 Mariposa Gazette:
REYNOLDS- UTTER- In Mariposa, on July 13th, 1879, at the Odd Fellows Hall, where divine services were held by the Rev. R. A. SAWRIE, of the Methodist Church South, Angevine REYNOLDS to Miss Frances Adelia UTTER.
No cards. No cake, but congratulations accompanied with kisses innumerable.
  Billy KNIGHT, the groomsman, who is a mischievous " cuss" in the presence of a large assemblage, took advantage of the unsuspecting groom and stole the first kiss away! What audacity!

KASSON, Frances Adelia Reynolds
San Mateo Times, Tuesday , January 13, 1931
Funeral services were held in Palo ALto today for Mrs. Frances Adelia Kasson, pioneer California newspaper woman and one of the few women editors of the state, who died at her Palo Alto home Sunday. She had been bedfast since Christmas eve, when she fell in her home.
A native of Illinois, Mrs. Kasson came to California in 1879. Her first husband, Angevine Reynolds, was editor of the Mariposa Gazette, which Mrs. Kasson edited after his death. She later married Frank Kasson, foreman of the plant. In 1895 they bought the Palo Alto Live Oak, weekly newspaper of the city's early days. Mr. Kasson was city clerk of Palo Alto at the time of his death in 1924.
Mrs. Kasson is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Orville Valentine, a son, Frederick F. Reynolds and grandson, Frederick R Reynolds Jr., of Palo Alto.
Last Modified 26 May 2011Created 17 Jan 2012 using Reunion for Macintosh