World Historical and Societal Life December 1957December
- December 1 - Sam Cooke and Buddy Holly and Crickets debut on Ed Sullivan Show
- December 1 - In Indonesia, Sukarno announces nationalization of 246 Dutch businesses
- December 4 - Lewisham train disaster in UK leaves 92 dead
- December 5 - All 326,000 Dutch nationals are expelled from Indonesia.
- December 6 - First US attempt to launch a satellite fails, the satellite blowing up on the launch pad.
- December 2 - 1 US large scale nuclear power plant opens (Shippingport Penn)
- December 2 - Sam Cooke's "You Send Me" reaches #1
- December 3 - 23 Heisman Trophy Award: John Crow, Texas A&M (HB)
- December 4 - 1 edition of "Chase's Annual Events" published
- December 4 - 2 commuter trains collide in heavy fog killing 92 (St John's England)
- December 5 - William Inge's "Dark at the Top of the Stairs," premieres in NYC
- December 5 - NYC is 1 city to legislate against racial or religious discrimination in housing market (Fair Housing Practices Law)
- December 5 - Sukarno expels all Dutch people from Indonesia.
- December 6 - 1 US attempt to launch a satellite fails-Vanguard rocket blows up
- December 6 - AFL-CIO votes to expel Teamsters (readmitted in October 1987)
- December 6 - Indonesia begins nationalizing Dutch possessions
- December 7 - Tony Kubek of the Yanks selected as AL Rookie of the Year
- December 9 - 1 Japanese ambassador to Israel
- December 12 - Maj Adrian Drew flies 1,943 kph in F-101 Voodoo
- December 12 - US announces manufacture of Borazon (harder than diamond)
- December 14 - "Most Happy Fella" closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 678 performances
- December 14 - "Rumple" closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 45 performances
- December 16 - Sir Feroz Khan Noon replaces Ibrahim Ismail Chundrigar as Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- December 17 - US successfully test-fires Atlas intercontinental ballistic missile
- December 18 - Shippingport Atomic Power Stn, 1 nuke plant to generate electricity
- December 19 - "Music Man" opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 1375 performances
- December 20 - Elvis Presley given draft notice to join US Army for National Service
- December 21 - Indonesia proclaims end to state of war
- December 22 - KWRB (now KFNE) TV channel 10 in Lander-Riverton, WY (ABC) begins
- December 23 - Test Cricket debut for Wally Grout & Bobby Simpson v South Africa
- December 25 - Mass killer Ed Gein found insane of murder
- December 26 - Roger Sessions' 3 Symphony premieres in London
- December 28 - CBS states it won't broadcast baseball where minor league games are on
- December 28 - USSR performs atmospheric nuclear test
- December 29 - Detroit Lions beat Cleveland Browns 50-14 in NFL championship game
- December 29 - Singers Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme wed in Las Vegas
- December 30 - Israeli government of Ben-Gurion, resigns
- December 30 - New York Giants win NFL championship
December 31 - AAU awards Bobby Morrow, James Sullivan Memorial Trophy
This page was last updated on Saturday, December 05, 2015 02:12
Judith Ann Florian
Girard, Ohio 44420
Copyright Notice - Data / info. for individuals and surnames may be reproduced for personal family histories only, but not for any commercial use or sale. Please give credit to Judith Florian and Catherine L. Caldwell for newspaper items and original documents. You may use J. Florian's research conclusions if credit is given. No other data or images may be reproduced without permission. © 2005 to present, Judith Florian, Copyright All rights reserved.
The background was chosen specifically to emphasize the matriarchal role of women in "the life" of children and families, and the resilience of all the women of southwestern Pennsylvania.