SEARCH MY WASHINGTON COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA WEBSITES
Freefind may restrict total results from all 7 sites.
OTHER FAMILIES (o_f) of McDonald PA
and surrounding areas
Washington County PA
Are these folks your family?
The newspaper articles presented here
give glimpses into the lives of men, women, and families during lifetimes spent
in the areas in and near McDonald, PA. We hope you find useful items that
add to your family tree.
Churches and Worship in McDonald PA
and Surrounding areas
The Center United Presbyterian Church Midway PA
McDonald Record-Outlook, June 18, 1959, page unknown:
MIDWAY CHURCH OBSERVES 100TH ANNIVERSARY
Family night, this Wednesday evening, will begin the observance of the
100th anniversary of the Center U. P. Church, Midway. The celebration
will be culminated with two services next Sunday.
The Rev. Charles VAN DYNE, pastor, will give the invocation at the
family night program. The Rev. A. A. LOVE, D.D., of McDonald will be the
Others participating will be Harry LINDSAY, who will sing a solo, and
Miss Katherine BEBOUT, who will show slides of members and former
members of the congregation. Both the senior and junior choirs will
Following the service, the congregation will retire to the basement for
refreshment and fellowship.
The Rev. Walter RALSTON of Quincy, Mass., a son of the congregation will
deliver the sermon at this Sunday morning service. Glenn AIKEN will sing
The Rev. Harold of ELLER of San Felix, Venezuela, another son of the
congregation, will speak at the evening service which begins at -:30
o’clock. Kenvin (sic) MOREAU will sing a solo at this service.
HISTORY OF THE CENTER U. P. CHURCH 1859-1959
The Center United Presbyterian church of Midway was organized May 2,
1859. The first meetings were held in a log barn on the John CAMPBELL
farm, presently owned by George U. LOFFERT. After various meetings of
those in the vicinity belonging to the United Presbyterian church, it
was agreed to apply to the Presbytery of Chartiers for the organization
of a congregation to be called Center.
At a meeting of Presbytery at Hickory in April, 1859, an organization
was granted and the Rev. James C. Campbell was appointed to preach on
the first Sabbath of May, at which time the church came into being. On
the following Monday, Jacob GEORGE, Thomas STEVENSON, John CAMPBELL,
Dr., and John D. REED were elected ruling elders. They were installed by
the Rev. James C. HERRON on the 18th of September, following. On
September 27, 1859, session met and was constituted by the Rev. J. G.
RANKIN, moderator, when 54 members were received by certificate and five
on examination. These 59 comprised the charter members.
The congregation enjoyed the labors of ministers appointed by
Presbytery, services being held in private residences of members of the
congregation and in school housed in the vicinity until the third
Sabbath of February, 1869, when a new church was occupied for the first
time. The church, a frame structure costing $2,500 was located in what
is now the Center cemetery, and stood a short distance from the entrance
to the cemetery.
The Rev. D. S. KENNEDY became the first pastor on September 4, 1862.
The present place of worship was erected in 1891 and was dedicated
January 19, 1892, during the pastorate of Rev. W. J. GRAHAM.
The semi-centennial of the church was celebrated on June 22, 1909.
Chartiers Presbytery met in regular session at this time to take part in
the celebration. The Rev. J. D. GIBSON, pastor of the church, was in
charge of arrangements. David A. McCALMONT read a history of the church
and the Rev.
Alexander McLAUGHLIN, D. D., gave its presbyterial history. C. R.
BRICELAND gave a prophecy and read greetings from other churches. At the
evening session, addresses were delivered by the Rev. J. M. FARRAR, D.D.,
LLD, of Brooklyn, N. Y., a former member of the congregation, and the
Rev. J.T. McCRORY of Pittsburgh. Both dinner and supper were served at
the church. Mrs. Sarah G. BAMFORD was the only charter member present.
Three sons of the congregation have entered the ministry; W. S. BAMFORD
(deceased), Harold ELLER, and Walter RALSTON. Miss Veda GRAHAM, a
daughter of the congregation, is serving in the mission field, at the
Avalon Girls’ School, Pathankot, India. Another daughter of the
congregation, Elizabeth DICKSON EWEN, served on the teaching staff at
Stanton Academy, Stanton, Ky.
Present membership of the church is 373
Ministers who have served the congregation are the Rev. D. S. KENNEDY,
September, 1862 to October, 1872; the Rev. J. B. WADDELL, May, 1873 to
February, 1886; the Rev. W. J. GRAHAM, May 1888, to February, 1898, the
Rev. J. D. GIBSON, November, 1898 to April, 1910; the Rev. J. G. REANEY,
January, 1911, to November, 1914; the Rev. E. D. MILLER, May, 1915 to
March, 1918; the Rev. R. W. NARIN, D. D., August, 1918 to March, 1926,
the Rev. E. L. RALSTON, November 1926, to may, 1936, the Rev. Alfred
HUBBARD, November, 1936, to January, 1945; the Rev. Eldin L. BENNETT,
July, 1946, to June, 1948; the Rev. W. D. MERCER, D.D., December 1949,
to December, 1952; the Rev. John MELLINGER, May, 1953, to April, 1954;
the Rev. Lawrence SVANE, February, 1955, to June, 1958; the Rev. Charles
VAN DYNE, April, 1959.
* See Town-Talk
section for a more information on the history of McDonald Pa.*
MCDONALD PA LINKS
Index to McDonald
PA Folder 1 | Business-Industry | Advertisements
| Location - Scenes |
Drawings | Major
Life Events | Military
| News and Glances
- Politics | Reunions
| Schools | Sports
to McDonald PA Folder 1 | Index to McDonald
PA Folder 2 a Collection of 3,000 marriage licenses / wedding notices | Divorce
McDonald PA Guestbook1